Author Topic: McConnell: Congress can't roll back gay marriage decision  (Read 13909 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: McConnell: Congress can't roll back gay marriage decision
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2015, 03:16:30 pm »
:silly:  So from your "intellectual" viewpoint, there is only one side of any issue...yours?  I guess reality doesn't trump the 'castle in the air'.   Please oh swami, help me to know what to believe...:nometalk:

I'm not the one pushing an agenda here! That would be YOU Mac!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2015, 03:30:18 pm »
I'm not the one pushing an agenda here! That would be YOU Mac!

:facepalm2:   IOW anyone who disagrees with you is pushing an agenda.  I thought the thread was about whether McConnell can or should try to roll back gay marriage?  Is not the opinion of Americans part of that discussion?  Or have I stepped over the line...your line?  Please LMK if when we are talking about the left's gun control initiatives it will be okay to mention what Americans want?  What agenda would I be pushing then?
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2015, 03:35:08 pm »
:facepalm2:   IOW anyone who disagrees with you is pushing an agenda.  I thought the thread was about whether McConnell can or should try to roll back gay marriage?  Is not the opinion of Americans part of that discussion?  Or have I stepped over the line...your line?  Please LMK if when we are talking about the left's gun control initiatives it will be okay to mention what Americans want?  What agenda would I be pushing then?

I have repeatedly said that I don't believe, even for a second, that the Majority of Americans are in favor of Gay marriage. Instead of accepting that and moving on YOU sir have repeatedly tried to convince me that I am wrong. If that isn't pushing an agenda I don't know what is!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2015, 03:38:02 pm »
I have repeatedly said that I don't believe, even for a second, that the Majority of Americans are in favor of Gay marriage. Instead of accepting that and moving on YOU sir have repeatedly tried to convince me that I am wrong. If that isn't pushing an agenda I don't know what is!

What's your opinion on the Earth?

Round of flat?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2015, 04:15:42 pm »

Round of flat?

It's elliptical with warts all over it!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2015, 04:25:34 pm »

I've not tried to convince you of anything.  I have stated that you are wrong and provided the evidence to support that.  You don't like debating because that requires something more than simply insulting.  You're far more comfortable in a "ditto" thread, and I can understand that.

The agenda I push is to try making a thread a little more than an echo chamber.  And if you're still a mod, you should understand that.  Then again.... :whocares:

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2015, 04:31:06 pm »

Round of flat?

It doesn't matter left or right.  Regardless of the evidence of a position, if you don't want to believe it, you don't.  We had a member here early on who absolutely believed the moon walks were all filmed in Hollywood.  Maybe it's the times.  Rational debate is quickly dying out in favor of rhetoric.  Then there's all the 9/11 crap. 

Offline Paladin

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2015, 11:54:55 pm »
You don't like debating because that requires something more than simply insulting

You mean like this?:

So from your "intellectual" viewpoint, there is only one side of any issue...yours?  I guess reality doesn't trump the 'castle in the air'.   Please oh swami, help me to know what to believe
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2015, 12:06:47 am »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2015, 03:18:58 am »
You mean like this?:

Probably a good idea you learn this about me. After moving from the subject of the debate to me personally, all bets are off.  Bigun understands as we've been through that transition a numer of times.  He's a great guy, as is most everyone else here.  But there's a propensity here to frequently switch from the argument to the poster when unable to handle the debate.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2015, 08:26:08 am »
And you should probably learn this about me. I don't cotton much to hypocrites. If you are going to make an issue of what you perceive as BigUn's ad hominem arguments you ought not engage in them yourself.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2015, 12:42:54 pm »
And you should probably learn this about me. I don't cotton much to hypocrites. If you are going to make an issue of what you perceive as BigUn's ad hominem arguments you ought not engage in them yourself.

I couldn't care less what you cotton to Paladin.  I'll let your little 'hypocrite' slap go for now.  But in the future take a swing at me and I'll swing right back.  And that's as it should be.  Bigun knows that, he doesn't need a bodyguard.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2015, 01:59:41 pm »
I've not tried to convince you of anything.  I have stated that you are wrong and provided the evidence to support that.  You don't like debating because that requires something more than simply insulting.  You're far more comfortable in a "ditto" thread, and I can understand that.

The agenda I push is to try making a thread a little more than an echo chamber.  And if you're still a mod, you should understand that.  Then again.... :whocares:

Well I guess that someone who considers truth an insult will ALWAYS be insulted so, it would seem to follow, there can be no honest debate with that person. The agenda you have pushed here on THIS thread is for Gay marriage whether or not YOU ever realize that!

Not a mod and have no interest in being one!

And I will once again repeat that MY only agenda is the TRUTH!  YOU are free to believe or not any poll you wish and I have exactly that same right.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 02:09:09 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2015, 02:05:44 pm »
Well I guess that someone who considers truth an insult will ALWAYS be insulted so, it would seem to follow, there can be no honest debate. Not a mod and have no interest in being one!

And I will once again repeat that MY only agenda is the TRUTH!

So you're the source and vessel of all truth, and any evidence to the contrary is heresy.

Truth is only truth if you say that it is.

Forget Mod. Doesn't that make you God?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 02:10:48 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2015, 02:11:20 pm »
So you're the source and vessel of all truth, and any evidence to the contrary is heresy.

Truth is only truth of you say that it is.

Doesn't make you God?

Never said I was God! Well aware of the fact that I am not and neither am I the keeper of all truth but I DO have the ability to discern when an agenda is being pushed and by whom! And that goes far beyond THIS single thread.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2015, 02:26:43 pm »
Never said I was God! Well aware of the fact that I am not and neither am I the keeper of all truth but I DO have the ability to discern when an agenda is being pushed and by whom! And that goes far beyond THIS single thread.

Heresy... agenda... same thing to you.

So you have no agenda, you are the source of all truth and you can gleam who had hidden agendas?

You're sort of Mother Theresa, God and Kreskin all rolled into one.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2015, 02:31:25 pm »
Heresy... agenda... same thing to you.

So you have no agenda, you are the source of all truth and you can gleam who had hidden agendas?

You're sort of Mother Theresa, God and Kreskin all rolled into one.

Nothing 'hidden" about what's gone on on this thread and many others preceding it Luis! Readers can and will decide for themselves.  Have a GREAT day!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2015, 02:35:58 pm »
Nothing 'hidden" about what's gone on on this thread and many others preceding it Luis! Readers can and will decide for themselves.  Have a GREAT day!

So you know what readers think as well?

Slme very impressive qualities you have.

Remember, with great power comes great responsibility.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2015, 03:34:13 pm »
Well I guess that someone who considers truth an insult will ALWAYS be insulted so, it would seem to follow, there can be no honest debate with that person. The agenda you have pushed here on THIS thread is for Gay marriage whether or not YOU ever realize that!

Not a mod and have no interest in being one!

And I will once again repeat that MY only agenda is the TRUTH!  YOU are free to believe or not any poll you wish and I have exactly that same right.

You're a decent guy Bigun, but I know you don't enjoy debating.  For the record, I would hope anyone here would understand the difference between the "truth" and an "insult".  I'll leave it at that.

Disagreeing with you about what Americans believe concerning gay marriage is a far cry from pushing gay marriage.  I don't really care what you believe about me, but I care that the nominee for my Party understand the reality of the issues he or she will take on.  Anti-Gay marriage is a losing issue.  SSM is now the law of the land whether I like it or not.  And apparently most Americans agree with it, so that makes it even more imperative that the GOP candidates leave their rhetoric on this issue at home and address issues Americans really want dealt with. 

It's the conservative thing to do... :pondering:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2015, 05:32:51 pm »

Anyone who thinks this forum is ever an 'echo chamber' can't read very well...........
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2015, 07:50:14 pm »
Anyone who thinks this forum is ever an 'echo chamber' can't read very well...........

There is a difference between an echo chamber and some posters who wish it so.  Truth be told though, there are very few threads here with any degree of debate.  Those are the ones I'm drawn to.  While most of us here are after the same political goals, we don't always agree on how best to achieve them. 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2015, 08:01:29 pm »
You're a decent guy Bigun, but I know you don't enjoy debating.  For the record, I would hope anyone here would understand the difference between the "truth" and an "insult".  I'll leave it at that.

Disagreeing with you about what Americans believe concerning gay marriage is a far cry from pushing gay marriage.  I don't really care what you believe about me, but I care that the nominee for my Party understand the reality of the issues he or she will take on.  Anti-Gay marriage is a losing issue.  SSM is now the law of the land whether I like it or not.  And apparently most Americans agree with it, so that makes it even more imperative that the GOP candidates leave their rhetoric on this issue at home and address issues Americans really want dealt with. 

It's the conservative thing to do... :pondering:

My perception is that you HAVE pushed the gay marriage agenda here on this thread and several others preceding this one and you can take all the umbrage at that you like.  It remains my perception.

I vehemently disagree with you that anti-gay marriage is a loosing issue and STRONGLY suspect that we will find out for sure about that very soon. I also disagree with your assertion that giving in to public opinion that conflicts with the U.S. Constitution is the conservative thing to do in ANY case.

I also disagree with you when you say that 9, 8, 7, 6, or 5  unelected people in black robes get to pronounce what the law is in this country and they sure as hell don't get to make it up out of whole cloth as they did in this case! We have debated that in the past as well.

I disagree with you when you say that the child of any illegal who manages to get onto U.S soil in time to drop her progeny here can legally become president of our country someday and we have debated that at length.

The fact is that you and I have debated several issues here over the past several months (you and I don't seem to agree on much)  but we have been civil to each other and I intend to keep it that way for my part.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2015, 08:06:12 pm »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2015, 08:19:50 pm »
My perception is that you HAVE pushed the gay marriage agenda here on this thread and several others preceding this one and you can take all the umbrage at that you like.  It remains my perception.

I vehemently disagree with you that anti-gay marriage is a loosing issue and STRONGLY suspect that we will find out for sure about that very soon. I also disagree with your assertion that giving in to public opinion that conflicts with the U.S. Constitution is the conservative thing to do in ANY case.

I also disagree with you when you say that 9, 8, 7, 6, or 5  unelected people in black robes get to pronounce what the law is in this country and they sure as hell don't get to make it up out of whole cloth as they did in this case! We have debated that in the past as well.

I disagree with you when you say that the child of any illegal who manages to get onto U.S soil in time to drop her progeny here can legally become president of our country someday and we have debated that at length.

The fact is that you and I have debated several issues here over the past several months (you and I don't seem to agree on much)  but we have been civil to each other and I intend to keep it that way for my part.

So then, Hobby Lobby, in your opinion, must provide contraceptives to their employees. That after all, like it or not, is the law of the land, or rather was the law until those "9, 8, 7, 6, or 5  unelected people in black robes" said that it wasn't.

This idea that others are pushing agendas but you're not is absurd and hypocritical to boot.

You have a distinct agenda, and are only critical of those "9, 8, 7, 6, or 5  unelected people in black robes" when their rulings do not run in concert with your agenda.

So quit being a hypocrite accusing others of having hidden agendas when yours is so open.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2015, 08:25:31 pm »
So then, Hobby Lobby, in your opinion, must provide contraceptives to their employees. That after all, like it or not, is the law of the land, or rather was the law until those "9, 8, 7, 6, or 5  unelected people in black robes" said that it wasn't.

This idea that others are pushing agendas but you're not is absurd and hypocritical to boot.

You have a distinct agenda, and are only critical of those "9, 8, 7, 6, or 5  unelected people in black robes" when their rulings do not run in concert with your agenda.

So quit being a hypocrite accusing others of having hidden agendas when yours is so open.

Patently false Luis. I have been completely consistent on that and you know it.

- J. R. R. Tolkien