Author Topic: BREAKING>>>>Supreme court declares same-sex marriage a right in 5-4 vote  (Read 14273 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Cartoonists Commemorate the Supreme Court's Gay Marriage Decision
« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2015, 04:13:35 pm »
Cartoonists Commemorate the Supreme Court's Gay Marriage Decision

Polly Mosendz
Newsweek
June 27, 2015

After the Supreme Court on Friday ruled gay marriage bans were unconsitutional, opening the door to gay marriage in every state, thousands of people rushed to courthouses to get married and even the most conservative states started issuing marriage licenses (though some were still fighting it).

Others celebrated by heading to the Stonewall Inn in New York City, a newly landmarked site for its role in the fight for gay rights, and to the Supreme Court itself. Meanwhile, amateur and professional cartoonists around the nation commemorated the day in their own way: ...
More

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Says who? Upon what holy book is that written? Not the Constitution. Why even try to get the Presidency or a supermajority you're talking about if that is the case? I'm not interested in working with liberals, I'm interested in driving them out of existence. If the Dem party wants to be worked with, they can become more workable.

Of course not, quit deflecting and being circumspect. The gay marriage decision was only a few days ago. However, the dissenting justices themselves warned what it could mean for religious liberty, and the liberals are ready to pounce on forcing homosexuality into the church. They are already saying so and gathering their forces. The chess game is afoot and you're denying that there even is a game, drawing lines in the sand you can't enforce, once again.

The speculations of dissenting jurists and alarmists across the board aside, this Court has consistently upheld religious rights every time the issue has been brought to them.

The difference between the day before the SSM ruling by the Court and the day after is that 14 States must now issue marriage licenses to same sex couples, just like the other 36 States had been doing before the ruling, and those marriages will enjoy full Constitutional protection under the Full Faith and Credit clause.

Same sex marriage has been legal in the U.S. for nearly a decade now and we're still a nation under God.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The speculations of dissenting jurists and alarmists across the board aside, this Court has consistently upheld religious rights every time the issue has been brought to them.

The difference between the day before the SSM ruling by the Court and the day after is that 14 States must now issue marriage licenses to same sex couples, just like the other 36 States had been doing before the ruling, and those marriages will enjoy full Constitutional protection under the Full Faith and Credit clause.

Same sex marriage has been legal in the U.S. for nearly a decade now and we're still a nation under God.

No it hasn't, not even factually close. We've had nothing federal overturning DOMA, just state decisions with Iowa being the first only a few years ago. But now that there is something federal, it will give the lefties new ammo to revisit religious freedom decisions with this new precedent, and it's very possible that they will be overturned. If that does happen then the Federal leviathan will make it's move.

I'll take the warnings of the dissenting SCOTUS justices opinions over yours. We will have a constitutional battle to see which amendment has supremacy, the 1st, or the 14th. Causes have effects and unintended consequences. You can continue to think statically and draw lines you can't enforce, but that is exactly what the endgame is with them.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 04:47:16 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
The 'gay agenda' much like the 'black agenda' or the 'muslim agenda', is not to be a 'part' of society. It not about 'equality', it never was. It was and always has been about 'domination'.

It is all about domination. They do not want to be respected. They want to be revered. And if that takes force, then so be it. I will be revered, at any cost.

This is a cultural war, and they are winning. Primarily because they do not care what it takes to win. They will lie, they will distort, they will become violent. They will do whatever they have to do, to 'win'. This is a concerted war against religion. It is a war against God.

I do not know how many of you have read 'Paradise Lost'. I have, many times. And lately I feel like my life has become ... like that.

I respect Satan. I understand him. And he is an implacable enemy. Give him this, and he only wants more. If no one is willing to draw a line, then there is no line, and anything goes.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
No it hasn't, not even factually close. We've had nothing federal overturning DOMA, just state decisions with Iowa being the first only a few years ago. But now that there is something federal, it will give the lefties new ammo to revisit religious freedom decisions with this new precedent, and it's very possible that they will be overturned.

Causes have effects and unintended consequences. You can continue to think statically and draw lines you can't enforce, but that is exactly what the endgame is with them.

The Federal DoMA was unconstitutional. The Federal government lacks any constitutional power to legislate a definition of marriage for any reason at all.

The State-level decisions were arrived at as a result of laws being enacted which violated State Constitutions.

The rest of your post is every bit as speculative as mine, and I don't engage in debates over whose Nostradamus powers are more precise.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
The 'gay agenda' much like the 'black agenda' or the 'muslim agenda', is not to be a 'part' of society. It not about 'equality', it never was. It was and always has been about 'domination'.

It is all about domination. They do not want to be respected. They want to be revered. And if that takes force, then so be it. I will be revered, at any cost.

This is a cultural war, and they are winning. Primarily because they do not care what it takes to win. They will lie, they will distort, they will become violent. They will do whatever they have to do, to 'win'. This is a concerted war against religion. It is a war against God.

I do not know how many of you have read 'Paradise Lost'. I have, many times. And lately I feel like my life has become ... like that.

I respect Satan. I understand him. And he is an implacable enemy. Give him this, and he only wants more. If no one is willing to draw a line, then there is no line, and anything goes.

Well said, and I'm glad there are some who get it. This is a street battle for ultimate control, and I'm not in the mood to be bipartisan with them.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Does anyone know whether or not Godwyn's law covers Satan?

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
For years now, more than a decade in fact, I've been participating in these forums, and for as long as I've been participating in these forums I've read posts by conservatives where they've suggested that the best thing that they could do was to abstain from the electoral process and by their actions, allow the country to fall apart and descend into liberal Hell.

Now I see conservatives alarmed by the idea that the country may be scending into liberal Hell.

Wasn't that the game plan?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
The Federal DoMA was unconstitutional. The Federal government lacks any constitutional power to legislate a definition of marriage for any reason at all.

The State-level decisions were arrived at as a result of laws being enacted which violated State Constitutions.

The rest of your post is every bit as speculative as mine, and I don't engage in debates over whose Nostradamus powers are more precise.

Your reasoning is based on the supremacy of the 14th over all other amendments, a fiction that's been created by liberals and unfortunately successfully applied in the courts. The supremacist tenet is bogus of course, but it seems to sell in our judicial system, and in a very one sided way at that. If they can regulate intrastate commerce, they can regulate marriage, or at least the secular effects of it.

The dissenting SCOTUS justices disagree with you, and frankly their opinion carries more weight than yours, as do the prominent liberals already speaking out about what they plan to do and wish to be done, as well as what is already happening with the various battles over providing services to gay weddings. There is no 'speculation' here, just your denial of what is already happening. You're just too much of an academic thinker to see it happening.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 05:00:23 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline MACVSOG68

31 states had constitutional amendments banning gay marriage.  How could those violate their own constitutions?
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
As I have said before, 'gay marriage' has nothing to do with 'gay marriage'. That is not at all what it is about.

This is about the Federal Government saying that they have control over every aspect of a human being, that they control whatever 'reality' that they dictate.

They are saying that all State functions are dominated by them, and all personal functions of any human, including religion, is dominated, controlled, and dictated by them.

You are not "allowed" to be against gay marriage. The Federal Government has told you so.

It is no coincident that the "States rights" flag would be torn down, while the "Sodomy flag" is being raised.

This ruling is telling you, as a person, what you 'must' believe. Even if you do not. They do not care. You will obey! You will do as we tell you to do! You will believe what we tell you to believe! And we are not going to let any silly GOD get in our way.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
31 states had constitutional amendments banning gay marriage.  How could those violate their own constitutions?

I can't recall every single State case, but many also had provisions outlawing discrimination based on sexual orientation in the very same Constiturions.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
As I have said before, 'gay marriage' has nothing to do with 'gay marriage'. That is not at all what it is about.

This is about the Federal Government saying that they have control over every aspect of a human being, that they control whatever 'reality' that they dictate.

They are saying that all State functions are dominated by them, and all personal functions of any human, including religion, is dominated, controlled, and dictated by them.

You are not "allowed" to be against gay marriage. The Federal Government has told you so.

It is no coincident that the "States rights" flag would be torn down, while the "Sodomy flag" is being raised.

This ruling is telling you, as a person, what you 'must' believe. Even if you do not. They do not care. You will obey! You will do as we tell you to do! You will believe what we tell you to believe! And we are not going to let any silly GOD get in our way.

That Egyptian river runs strong through your veins.

One of the first gay couples to marry in Texas was a pair of &0+ year old men who had been living as a couple for over than half a century. Yet, in spite of that half century of being together, it wasn't until yesterday that they could legally act on behalf of one another as next of kin in medical emergencies, file joint tax returns and many other benefits afforded to even common law marriages 

I don't know how much revolution is left in a pair of octogenarian gay guys, but I for one am impressed at how long they've stayed together in face of what's going on in today's world.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
That Egyptian river runs strong through your veins.

One of the first gay couples to marry in Texas was a pair of &0+ year old men who had been living as a couple for over than half a century. Yet, in spite of that half century of being together, it wasn't until yesterday that they could legally act on behalf of one another as next of kin in medical emergencies, file joint tax returns and many other benefits afforded to even common law marriages 

I don't know how much revolution is left in a pair of octogenarian gay guys, but I for one am impressed at how long they've stayed together in face of what's going on in today's world.

Total intellectually dishonest bullsqueeze. This isn't just about gays getting married or tax benefits. You're completely denying the fallout from this decision, the same fallout that has come from state decisions, which is to establish a precedent which can then be used to force businesses to provide services to gay weddings and ultimately, make churches perform them, while threatening tax exempt status of churches to denounce homosexuality.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 06:03:01 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Total intellectually dishonest bullsqueeze. This isn't just about gays getting married or tax benefits. You're completely denying the fallout from this decision, the same fallout that has come from state decisions, which is to establish a precedent which can then be used to force businesses to provide services to gay weddings and ultimately, make churches perform them, while threatening tax exempt status of churches to denounce homosexuality.

You're engaging in soothsaying and predicting the future, but you call my posts "intellectually dishonest bullsqueeze".

That's rich.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
You're engaging in soothsaying and predicting the future, but you call my posts "intellectually dishonest bullsqueeze".

That's rich.

You are deflecting and denying with attempts at pithy turnabouts. The rhetoric has already started, with media, and even with Obama, that conservatives must surrender their beliefs. If we don't, they will make it law and regulation to do so or suffer the consequences. We already seen decisions and lawsuits and fallout in states like Colorado, New Mexico, Indiana and Kentucky while you blindly ignore those facts.

Now that they have a SCOTUS precedent, they will attempt to bring down the weight of the entire Federal govt to bear. You have no evidence that Obama will act any differently on this issue than any other liberal cause, and he will use his pen to enforce it. Your dismissal of 'speculation' is just vague unsupported hand waving to draw a line you can't enforce and that we have already moved past.

As Justice Roberts has stated, churches that don't support gay marriage are in danger of losing their tax exempt status, echoed by Alito. Their opinions have far more weight than yours.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 06:08:58 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
You are deflecting and denying with attempts at pithy turnabouts. The rhetoric has already started, with media, and even with Obama, that conservatives must surrender their beliefs. If we don't, they will make it law and regulation to do so or suffer the consequences. We already seen decisions and lawsuits and fallout in states like Colorado, New Mexico, Indiana and Kentucky while you blindly ignore those facts.

Now that they have a SCOTUS precedent, they will attempt to bring down the weight of the entire Federal govt to bear. You have no evidence that Obama will act any differently on this issue than any other liberal cause, and he will use his pen to enforce it. Your dismissal of 'speculation' is just vague unsupported hand waving to draw a line you can't enforce and that we have already moved past.

As Justice Roberts has stated, churches that don't support gay marriage are in danger of losing their tax exempt status, echoed by Alito. Their opinions have far more weight than yours.

I won't surrender any belief I hold until at least someone shows up with the thumb screws or I see lions being released into the arena.

Hell, I'll hold on to them even stronger when that happens.

When did tax exempt status become part of religious freedom anyway?

P.S. You're still engaging in future telling and calling it fact.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 06:21:06 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
I won't surrender any belief I hold until at least someone shows up with the thumb screws or I see lions being released into the arena.

Hell, I'll hold on to them even stronger when that happens.

When did tax exempt status become part of religious freedom anyway?

P.S. You're still engaging in future telling and calling it fact.

Its hard to call it fortune telling when it's already beginning to happen and has happened. You apparently are willing to let them do that till  they come for you, and then hang on to your beliefs even more with a strongly worded letter or something, or fart in their general direction, or whatever.

I find it funny that you're such a 14th Amendment supremacist but seem fine with churches that lose their tax exempt status over gay marriage while truly noxious organizations get to keep it because they follow the govt line. Equal treatment anyone? I'd bring up the 1st Amendment here too but I realize you are a 14th Supremcist, so that doesn't mean anything.

But while you're not caring, losing tax exempt will force many churches to close their doors, closing off one outlet for people to express their beliefs. Then they'll go after businesses with the fairness and non-discrimination boards, and any public statements with speech codes, leaving you only to express your beliefs in your private homes and the few places of worship that are left.

And then they'll find ways to end that by denying govt benefits or some other creative attempts at ending dissent via the law while enlisting citizens to report their neighbors. Most of these have already been floated or tried in some form, so the 'speculation' part is actually your own form of speculation. Hard to deny what is already happening.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 06:39:03 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I have to admit that I've come around to your point of view on this strategic matter. We cannot change the direction of our country (read: roll back our headlong descent into lawlessness via the cynical promotion of ends over means) unless we have a strong GOP Congress and a Republican President. Passing doomed legislation is a fruitless waste of time and energy.

I see it quite differently! Passing so called fruitless legislation is perhaps the ONLY way to bring issues to the forefront given the attitude of the press these days.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Its hard to call it fortune telling when it's already beginning to happen and has happened. You apparently are willing to let them do that till  they come for you, and then hang on to your beliefs even more with a strongly worded letter or something, or fart in their general direction, or whatever.

I find it funny that you're such a 14th Amendment supremacist but seem fine with churches that lose their tax exempt status over gay marriage while truly noxious organizations get to keep it because they follow the govt line. Equal treatment anyone? I'd bring up the 1st Amendment here too but I realize you are a 14th Supremcist, so that doesn't mean anything.

But while you're not caring, losing tax exempt will force many churches to close their doors, closing off one outlet for people to express their beliefs. Then they'll go after businesses with the fairness and non-discrimination boards, and any public statements with speech codes, leaving you only to express your beliefs in your private homes and the few places of worship that are left.

And then they'll find ways to end that by denying govt benefits or some other creative attempts at ending dissent via the law while enlisting citizens to report their neighbors. Most of these have already been floated or tried in some form, so the 'speculation' part is actually your own form of speculation. Hard to deny what is already happening.

What Church has lost their tax exempt status over gay marriage?

Offline mountaineer

it wasn't until yesterday that they could legally act on behalf of one another as next of kin in medical emergencies
One of the fallacies perpetuated by gay marriage supporters. They always could do this by means of a medical power of attorney.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
One of the fallacies perpetuated by gay marriage supporters. They always could do this by means of a medical power of attorney.

A step not necessary for married couples.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
A step not necessary for married couples.
But marriage is not necessary for those who use medical power of attorney. The sword cuts both ways.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

But marriage is not necessary for those who use medical power of attorney. The sword cuts both ways.
Exactly. Homosexuals could have many of the "rights" they seek through marriage simply by signing a POA or other legal agreement.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Exactly. Homosexuals could have many of the "rights" they seek through marriage simply by signing a POA or other legal agreement.

Or they could be treated like everyone else and just get married.

Equal Protection Under the Law.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 11:55:54 pm by Luis Gonzalez »