Author Topic: Christopher Lee dies at the age of 93  (Read 746 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Christopher Lee dies at the age of 93
« on: June 11, 2015, 12:57:05 pm »
Guy gets his own thread, you know?

Sir Christopher Lee has died at the age of 93 after being hospitalised for respiratory problems and heart failure.
Christopher Lee: an actor of muscular intelligence with a staggering career
Read more

The veteran actor, best known for a variety of films from Dracula to The Wicker Man through to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, passed away on Sunday morning at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital in London, according to sources.

The decision to release the news days after was based on his wife’s desire to inform family members first. The couple had been married for over 50 years.

As well as his career in film, Lee also released a series of heavy metal albums, including Charlemagne: The Omens of Death. He was knighted in 2009 for services to drama and charity and was awarded the Bafta fellowship in 2011.

His film career started in 1947 with a role in gothic romance Corridor of Mirrors but it wasn’t until the late 50s, when Lee worked with Hammer, that he started gaining fame. His first role with the studio was The Curse of Frankenstein and it was the first of 20 films that he made with Peter Cushing, who also became a close friend. “Hammer was an important part of my life, and generally speaking, we all had a lot of fun,” he said in a 2001 interview.

Lee’s most famous role for Hammer was playing Dracula, a role which became one of his most widely recognised although the actor wasn’t pleased with how the character was treated. “They gave me nothing to do!” he told Total Film in 2005. “I pleaded with Hammer to let me use some of the lines that Bram Stoker had written. Occasionally, I sneaked one in. Eventually I told them that I wasn’t going to play Dracula any more. All hell broke loose.”

Read more: http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/11/christopher-lee-dies-at-the-age-of-93-dracula
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Christopher Lee dies at the age of 93
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 02:12:31 pm »
Guy gets his own thread, you know?

Indeed.  I grew up watching Christopher Lee movies at the movie theatre downtown which was an old theatre - scary looking and the rumor was that rats would run across your feet in the dark - that was the theatre that played the Godzilla and Dracula type movies that we kids loved.  Christopher Lee was always one of my favorites!

RIP Sir Christopher Lee.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 02:26:31 pm »
They say that you die twice. 

When your heart stops beating, and when the last person on earth speaks your name.

Sir Christopher Lee will 'live' a long time to come. 

RIP!   :beer:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
TCM Remembers Christopher Lee (1922-2015)

Turner Classic Movies Pays Tribute to Christopher Lee on Monday, June 22 with the following festival of films. This program will replace the previously scheduled movies for that day so please take note.

The new schedule for Monday, June 22 will be:
6:15 AM The Mummy (1959)
8:00 AM The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
9:30 AM Horror of Dracula (1958)
11:00 AM Dracula, Prince of Darkness (1966)
12:45 PM Dracula Has Risen From the Grave (1969)
2:30 PM Horror Express (1972)
4:00 PM The Three Musketeers (1972)
6:00 PM The Four Musketeers (1975)
More

22 Incredible Facts About The Life and Career Of Sir Christopher Lee

If Sir Christopher Lee had just been a movie star, he would still have been an icon. But the late actor, who passed away last week, had an amazing life even beyond his incredible body of work. Whether you’re still lamenting his passing or unsure why his death is such a loss, here’s 22 reasons why Christopher Lee will always be a legend.
More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 01:27:02 am »
REMINDER TO CHRISTOPHER LEE FANS - SET YOUR DVRS

ALL TIMES ARE EASTERN, SO ADJUST ACCORDINGLY