Author Topic: Armed Bikers to Hold Mohammed Contest Outside Cartoon Gunmen’s Mosque  (Read 5694 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
It is a complete fallacy to believe that freedom of speech allows individuals to engage in any manner of speech without consequences. That has never been the case in this country, even before the Chaplinsky Court decision.

Aaron Burr killed Alexander Hamilton in a duel over Hamilton's journalistic defamation of Burr's character.

Burr never stood trial. In fact, he finished his term as Vice President, and the New Jersey Supreme Court quashed a Grand Jury indictment.

Burr was incited to violence by Hamilton's written words.

Hamilton was guilty of engaging in fighting words I guess.   
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 07:58:30 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
It is a complete fallacy to believe that freedom of speech allows individuals to engage in any manner of speech without consequences. That has never been the case in this country, even before the Chaplinsky Court decision.

Aaron Burr killed Alexander Hamilton in a duel over Hamilton's over Hamilton's journalistic defamation of Burr's character.

Burr never stood trial. In fact, he finished his term as Vice President, and the New Jersey Supreme Court quashed a Grand Jury indictment.

Burr was incited to violence by Hamilton's written words.

Hamilton was guilty of engaging in fighting words I guess.

No, there isn't unlimited free speech, but the rally and the subject of this article are within those limits according to the courts.

That is not to say the group doesn't have to follow local ordinances that are within reason, just like Westboro does, which may lower their visibility. But as long as they meet the conditions, what they are doing here is legal.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
No, there isn't unlimited free speech, but the rally and the subject of this article are within those limits according to the courts.

That is not to say the group doesn't have to follow local ordinances that are within reason, just like Westboro does, which may lower their visibility. But as long as they meet the conditions, what they are doing here is legal.

I was always addressing your "bait them" comment. If that's the intent of this rally, that along with the signs and the shirts will void out their First Amendment rights.

From every bit of film that I've seen of the event, the rally was held across the street from the mosque, with protesters and counter protesters at times standing nose to nose to one another. The local police formed a line dividing the two, and they were merely shouting at one another over that line, with a number of Muslims holding signs that read "F#CK ISIS NOT ISLAM".

The point is that you cannot intentionally set out to do something with the intention of inciting someone to engage in violence. The may very well engage in that violence and ultimately win the legal argument over who started the fight, and who was guilty of an infraction.

Other than that, those two that were shot dead in Texas deserved what they got.

I just don't see the point of the "Draw Mohamed" contests. We already know that we can do that with no fear of government interference.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 10:35:15 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

P.S. Thanks for the debate.

I enjoy it when someone makes me do research on a subject.

Until this thread I never understood the Court's decision on Snyder v. Phelps. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I understand it.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
P.S. Thanks for the debate.

I enjoy it when someone makes me do research on a subject.

Until this thread I never understood the Court's decision on Snyder v. Phelps. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I understand it.

Same here. One of the reasons I left Free Republic - you don't get real debate there anymore.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Same here. One of the reasons I left Free Republic - you don't get real debate there anymore.

:beer: