Author Topic: Denmark moves closer to a cashless society  (Read 1460 times)

Offline flowers

Denmark moves closer to a cashless society
« on: May 21, 2015, 04:23:54 pm »
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/denmark-moves-closer-to-a-cashless-society-10231995.html

Denmark has moved one step closer to becoming the world's first cashless society, as the government proposes scrapping the obligation for retailers to accept cash as payment.

The Danish government has said that as of next year, business such as clothing retailers, restaurants and petrol stations should no longer be legally bound to accept cash payments.

The proposal is part of a package of economic growth measures, which are being released ahead of this year's Danish election. It aims to reduce costs and increase productivity for Danish businesses.

Finansrådet, a Danish finance industry lobbying group, says the change would free retailers from the cost of security, and the burden of managing change and notes.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Denmark moves closer to a cashless society
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 09:33:39 pm »
Going to be irritating if that keeps spreading.

I don't use cards. Cash only for everything. It is by far the most effective way to budget.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 09:59:17 pm »

I don't use cards. Cash only for everything. It is by far the most effective way to budget.

I like cashless. Most retailers honor debit cards without fees. Arco gasoline stations charge $0.35 for a tank of gas on a debit card.

We are safer, handing our debit cards to a retail clerk, than standing at an ATM machine to get cash.

And I really, really like self-checkout at our Walmart Neighborhood Market. Boom, run inside, grab 3-6 items, scan them, insert debit card, out the door.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 10:14:32 pm »
Different strokes, I guess.  :shrug:

I just have a very deep aversion to being tracked, even in my purchasing habits.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 10:19:32 pm »

Get with the times!  :tongue2:
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 10:21:42 pm »
Get with the times!  :tongue2:

:tongue2:

No thanks. I prefer to be debt free.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 11:07:50 pm »
:tongue2:

No thanks. I prefer to be debt free.

Pretty soon you will have no choice ;)
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 11:08:39 pm »
I doubt many retailers will opt not to accept cash.  There may be some security issues and time costs, but credit card transactions cost 2.5-3.5 percent off the revenue line for retailers, and I think the vast majority of them would prefer to accept cash.  I pay with cash quite often, and most of the time the merchant is happy to get it.  In fact, many of them will discount with the use of cash.

Also, cash transactions can happen "under the radar" which means cash provides a much better vehicle for tax evasion.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 11:11:34 pm »
Also, cash transactions can happen "under the radar" which means cash provides a much better vehicle for tax evasion.

I'm onto you Massad.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 12:25:56 am »
A cashless economy gives the government absolute control over every penny in society. They can add more virtual cash, retract virtual cash, in the economy from a keyboard.

Also, of course, they would have the ability to track every transaction made in a State, including private transactions. Birthday gifts, tips, help your brother out with rent, win the door prize at a club meeting, that is all now traceable, taxable, income.

But more than all that, it gives government the ability to directly take, at any moment, whatever funds they feel you owe them, or whatever they feel they need. You can no longer have an emergency fund in a safe. Everything is online and is, more or less, at the disposal of the government.

How are you going to be able to hire people or purchase things under the table if the government controls and monitors every penny that is out there?

Should this succeed, it would be the most powerful instrument any government has every known in history. It would be a form of absolute control over every single aspect of a population.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 12:58:45 am »

And there you have the reason cash will always be with us. Hard to pay off a politician with plastic.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 01:13:37 am »
As an antique dealer, haggling is always better with cash.  Antique dealers, flea markets, farmer's stands, odd jobs, drug dealers, baby sitters, tips - we all prefer cash.  I don't want to live in a world where everything I buy is tracked and where my money is subject to being wiped out in a virtual instant.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.