Author Topic: Why isn’t Huckabee getting more respect?  (Read 1199 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Why isn’t Huckabee getting more respect?
« on: May 05, 2015, 12:30:28 pm »
http://thehill.com/briefingroom-blogroll/241022-why-isnt-huckabee-getting-more-respect

By Niall Stanage - 05/05/15 06:00 AM EDT

In many ways, Mike Huckabee is the Rodney Dangerfield of the 2016 election.

The former Arkansas governor won the Iowa caucus in 2008 and subsequently finished second to Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) in GOP delegates earned. In recent polls, Huckabee is holding his own against several big-name candidates who have already entered the race. And he certainly passes the “I’d like to have a beer with him” test — despite being teetotal himself. But Huckabee isn’t getting much respect as a serious threat to win the nomination.

Huckabee is widely expected to announce his candidacy in a speech in his hometown of Hope, Ark., Tuesday morning. There is little doubt Huckabee will run — a news release last week from his campaign told the media to expect a “historic event.” Another announcement on Monday outlined travel plans for the rest of the week, including trips to Iowa and South Carolina.

The path to the nomination will be difficult for the Huckabee. The 59-year-old won’t be able to raise the money that his best-funded GOP rivals will, and his fiscal record has been questioned by the influential Club for Growth.

However, early polling data indicate he is a more serious candidate than his detractors claim.

The Real Clear Politics average of polls of Republican voters in Iowa puts Huckabee ahead of Sens. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Rand Paul (R-Ky.), who have both already launched their campaigns.

The same is true in South Carolina, where Huckabee is nestled in fourth place behind former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and home-state Sen. Lindsey Graham.

Huckabee’s appeal rests in large part on his personality. An avuncular presence well-known to conservatives through his Fox News show, which ended in January, as well as his previous White House bid, he has carved a clear niche as an amicable social conservative.

He has played that role before. In 2008, Huckabee won over many GOP voters, as he repeatedly declared “I’m a conservative, but I’m not angry about it.” Huckabee told Jay Leno, then-host of “The Tonight Show,” that “People are looking for a presidential candidate who reminds them more of the guy they work with, rather than the guy who laid them off.”

In a memo released by Huckabee aides, strategist Bob Wickers collated a number of external polls showing the former governor’s favorability ratings among Republicans at or near the top of all likely candidates.

A nationwide Monmouth University poll in late March and early April put Huckabee’s favorability rating among Republican voters at 53 percent, ahead of Bush (49), Cruz (49), Paul (47), Walker (44), former Texas Gov. Rick Perry (42) and Florida Sen. Marco Rubio (41).

The advantage was even more pronounced in a Fox News poll from the same period, where Huckabee’s 57 percent favorable rating was 5 percentage points ahead of that of his closest rival, Paul, and 6 points ahead of Bush.

“People don’t vote for somebody they don’t like,” said Hogan Gidley, Huckabee’s senior communications adviser. “That was one of Mitt Romney’s problems in 2012. It takes a lot of money, a lot of energy and a lot of positive stories to make someone be thought of as likable, if they’re not already thought of as likable.”

Huckabee, a former Baptist preacher, has an especially strong appeal to evangelical voters, even though others, including Walker, Cruz and former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.), will also be among their suitors.

During his first run for president, Huckabee’s appeal was enough to bring influential Iowa conservative leader Bob Vander Plaats to his side early in the process. Vander Plaats ultimately chaired Huckabee’s victorious campaign in the state.

Vander Plaats recalled that, at the time, “I thought, ‘Here’s a guy I’ll never have to apologize for supporting. At the time, I didn’t think he could win. He exceeded my expectations and, if he’s honest about it, I think he probably exceeded his own expectations.”

Vander Plaats pointed out, however, that he would not decided who he’s going to endorse this year until around Thanksgiving.

Huckabee’s 2008 victory in the Iowa caucuses threw Romney’s campaign into a tailspin, but the Arkansan wasn’t able to capitalize, in part because of his lackluster fundraising.

People close to Huckabee say this time could be different. In March, a super-PAC launched to support the former governor, and Huckabee’s name recognition — far higher than it was in the early stages of 2008 — play in his favor.

An obstacle facing Huckabee in 2008 is expected to be there in 2016: His relationship with the most fiscal conservative elements of the GOP has been tense. The Club for Growth, in particular, has repeatedly criticized him. In 2012, a spokesman for the Club accused Huckabee of adopting “a sort of populist, anti-capitalism stance when he ran for president.” Huckabee has called the group “disgusting.”

Yet, anti-tax activist Grover Norquist told The Hill he has no fundamental opposition to Huckabee.

“Huckabee signed the pledge when he ran for president last time,” Norquist said, referring to the challenge issued by his group, Americans for Tax Reform, for candidates to promise not to raise taxes. “He’s a pledge-taker, and all pledge-takers are great guys,” a jocular Norquist added.

The most difficult questions surrounding Huckabee are whether he can expand his support beyond his socially conservative base, in the process vanquishing larger figures in the party such as Bush or Rubio. Even if he can, some doubt his electability in a general election.

His aides are adamant that the idea of him as a social conservative and no more is unfair.

“That is one of these media misnomers that try to pigeon-hole him” said Gidley, who noted that Huckabee had won 47 percent of the black vote during one of his gubernatorial campaigns — a figure far higher than most Republican candidates manage.

Others are not so sure about the breadth of his appeal.

“He starts off with an identifiable base within the party,” said GOP pollster David Winston, who is not affiliated with any declared or likely 2016 presidential candidates. “But, as with the other candidates, it’s nowhere near close to what is required to win.”

Huckabee aides also stress his record of beating candidates supported by Bill and Hillary Clinton back in Arkansas — a record that Gidley asserts is tantamount to “beating the Clinton machine.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline xfreeper

Re: Why isn’t Huckabee getting more respect?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 01:12:11 pm »
In a nut shell, too many people view him as 'not presidential material' and that is unlikely to change. The message has been sent long ago. It should have been recieved by now.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 01:20:51 pm »
In a nut shell, too many people view him as 'not presidential material' and that is unlikely to change. The message has been sent long ago. It should have been recieved by now.

I would vote for him over Graham, Bush, or Christy any day!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 09:15:45 pm »
I wouldn't vote for any of them any day

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 09:31:49 pm »
I wouldn't vote for any of them any day
I would vote for all of them, but I have my preferences. 
Governor Huckabee isn't on my top 5 list of

Governor Walker
Governor Perry
Senator Rubio
Senator Paul
Governor Kasich

But we could do worse than Governor Huckabee.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 10:27:28 pm »
Uh....because, he's an unfunny cartoon?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 10:35:03 pm »
Never liked him but he cooked himself with me when I found out that, as governor, he released a criminal who eventually killed four Seattle cops.

A weak, self-absorbed man. Funny, but not qualified to be president.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 11:30:47 pm »
Because his legislative record is one of a nanny-state-preacher using the power of his office to encroach on personal liberty and reach into areas the government should never touch.  Taxes in Arkansas jumped more under Huckabee than Clinton.

http://www.worldmag.com/2007/02/the_pastor_populist

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 11:31:23 pm »
Never liked him but he cooked himself with me when I found out that, as governor, he released a criminal who eventually killed four Seattle cops.

A weak, self-absorbed man. Funny, but not qualified to be president.

Hold the presses, Sink and I agree on something... there is hope for the world!

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 11:47:11 pm »

"Presidential material" these days means the person is a populist, and have populist presidents  not done enough damage?  I don't know who I'm going to hitch my wagon to yet, but I want someone who stands on principle, holds the Constitution sacred, including the 2nd Amendment, and recognizes securing the border cannot be just a campaign promise.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Paladin

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 12:15:55 am »
Huckabee gave a very good Presidential campaign announcement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbSAcwbPT94

Bye the bye, how does one post a video on this Forum? I read the Help option, including going to the Simple Machines webpage, which proved to be of little assistance. So could someone more knowledgeable tell me here or by PM.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 12:25:22 am by mystery-ak »
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 12:19:43 am »
Huckabee gave a very good Presidential campaign announcement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbSAcwbPT94

Bye the bye, how does one post a video on this Forum? I read the Help option, including going to the Simple Machines webpage, which proved to be of little assistance. So could someone more knowledgeable tell me here or by PM.

Thank you.
You take the Youtube URL, and you make sure that the http:// part doesn't have an S in it (i.e., if it reads https:// take that s out).

In other words:

Code: [Select]
becomes

New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 12:22:33 am »
Hold the presses, Sink and I agree on something... there is hope for the world!

Oh shit.

It's the Apocalypse, isn't it?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 12:23:33 am »
Because his legislative record is one of a nanny-state-preacher using the power of his office to encroach on personal liberty and reach into areas the government should never touch.  Taxes in Arkansas jumped more under Huckabee than Clinton.

http://www.worldmag.com/2007/02/the_pastor_populist

Proof positive that there is such a thing as a progressive SoCon.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 12:27:24 am »
Palladin...go to your post with the video and open it up...modify...you will see how I did it

use this icon..for your url tags...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 12:46:56 am »
All of the Bible thumper candidates will say more or less the same things.

Often they will yammer on about the "Constitution" and when you research things, their viewpoints will not be in the Constitution, at all.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Paladin

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 12:50:11 am »
Thank you for the advice Jmyrlefuller amd Mystery-ak.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 12:55:03 am »
Thank you for the advice Jmyrlefuller amd Mystery-ak.

LOL!  As a fan of Paladin, the avatar is a hoot!   :patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 12:58:58 am »
I would vote for all of them, but I have my preferences. 
Governor Huckabee isn't on my top 5 list of

Governor Walker
Governor Perry
Senator Rubio
Senator Paul
Governor Kasich

But we could do worse than Governor Huckabee.
Your "top five" looks a hell of a lot like mine. I'm not a big Huckster fan at all, but after Obama, and with the looming prospect of Thunder Thighs Clinton and the Benghazi Boys, I'd even vote for the guy whose family photo looks like the "before" photo at Weight Watchers College Camp:

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 01:07:01 am »

Given the cultural and racial society we're currently living in....the Democrats would have a blast with the photo.

"Sseñoras y señores..... del presidente de los Estados Unidos."

Yeah......that'll work!   :laugh: