Author Topic: Reid threatens to hold up trade bill over highway, surveillance bills  (Read 478 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://thehill.com/policy/finance/241007-reid-threatens-to-hold-up-trade-bill-over-highway-surveillance-bills

By Peter Schroeder - 05/04/15 06:05 PM EDT

Democrats will block “fast track” trade legislation until the Senate first passes bills addressing infrastructure and surveillance programs, according to Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.).

Reid told The Huffington Post Monday that he will not “lay over and play dead” on controversial trade legislation, and instead will push for the Senate to pass his preferred bills on the two matters. And if Republicans balk, he is confident Democrats will unite to halt the trade bill — which also happens to be a top priority of President Obama.

“We have two very complicated issues that I think should have strong consideration before we even deal with trade,” he said. “I'm not willing to lay over and play dead on trade.”
The trade bill in question would grant “fast track” authority to the White House for negotiating trade bills. Under the bill, Congress would not be allowed to amend trade deals negotiated by presidential administrations, only to vote on the final agreement.

Liberal Democrats and labor unions are working fiercely to kill the bill, which the White House says is critical to finalize the Trans-Pacific Partnership, a massive trade deal with a host of other nations.

Reid, who has described himself as a “hell no” on the bill, first wants to see Congress pass legislation making reforms to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA), which is due to expire on June 1. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has favored a straight five-year extension of the existing program.

Reid also wants to see Congress pass a highway funding bill before even talking about trade, as the current funding measure expires May 31.

The Senate was widely seen as the easier path for trade legislation, as it is unclear whether there are votes in the House to pass the bill. But Reid’s public vow to hold up the bill could throw the measure into doubt in the upper chamber as well.

“McConnell said he wanted to move to trade in the next two or three weeks, and I'm going to -- maybe he can, but I don't think he's going to have an easy time doing it, because I will not let him do that. We're not going to lay over, as I said, until we have some way to move forward on FISA and the surface transportation bill," said Reid. "He has some decisions to make and he's going to have to work around me and the caucus."

Reid’s latest comments suggest he is digging in further on trade than previously indicated. In April, Reid reiterated his opposition to the agreement, but said he wouldn’t be “singlehandedly trying to defeat it.”

Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) the top Democrat on the Senate Finance Committee that helped craft the trade bill, responded to Reid’s comments Monday by hoping the Senate could still move quickly.

“Obviously Mitch McConnell and the president very much want to do it this work period,” he told reporters. “Export jobs pay better than do non export jobs. There are going to be a billion new customers in the developing world in 2025.

He said Reid had been “very straight with me,” despite their differing views on the bill.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

Hey, this is a win-win either way.

Get the trade bill, you get the trade bill.  Let Reid kill it, and Obama is humiliated by his own party.

Either one's fine with me.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline flowers

Gee must have been dreaming when I thought we won both houses.

Offline GourmetDan

Given that NAFTA was such a big success, the TPP should be the final nail in the coffin.

Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan