Author Topic: Jeb Bush: Give 11 Million Immigrants Chance to Stay  (Read 8970 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Jeb Bush: Give 11 Million Immigrants Chance to Stay
« on: April 29, 2015, 08:16:58 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=641568

Newsmax
Wednesday, April 29, 2015 03:57 PM

By: By STEVE PEOPLES

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush declared Wednesday that 11 million immigrants in the country illegally should have an opportunity to stay, wading yet again into his party's contentious immigrant debate.

In tone and substance, Bush stands out among the many Republicans lining up for the GOP's next presidential primary, where conservatives who oppose an immigration overhaul often hold outsized influence. As he moves toward a presidential campaign, the brother and son of former presidents has not backed away from his defense of immigrants in the country illegally and a policy that would allow them to attain legal status under certain conditions.

"We're a nation of immigrants," Bush said at the National Christian Hispanic Leadership Conference that brought several hundred Hispanic evangelical leaders to Houston this week. "This is not the time to abandon something that makes us special and unique."

A successful immigration overhaul is more than simply strengthening the border, Bush said, referring to "11 million people that should come out from the shadows and receive earned legal status." He said such immigrants should be required to pay taxes, work and not receive government benefits.

Republicans have struggled to win over the nation's surging Hispanic population in recent years.

Not since the 2004 re-election campaign of President George W. Bush, Jeb's older brother, has a Republican presidential candidate earned as much as 40 percent of the Hispanic vote. Mitt Romney earned a dismal 27 percent in losing what was widely considered a winnable 2012 contest.

Bush's mother and father, former President George. H.W. Bush and first lady Barbara Bush, were on hand for the speech.

It was Jeb Bush's second Hispanic outreach event this week. He spent Tuesday campaigning in Puerto Rico, a U.S. territory that will hold a presidential primary contest, yet is not included in the Electoral College that decides the general election.

At both stops, Bush moved seamlessly from English to Spanish in remarks that highlighted his deep personal connections to Hispanic culture.

He opened his Houston speech in Spanish, referring to the crowd of Hispanic Christians as "the hope of this country." And as he often does in public appearances, Bush recounted the story of meeting his Mexican-born wife, Columba, while studying in Mexico.

It was Columba's influence, he said, that pushed him to obtain a degree in Latin American studies and later spend roughly two years living in Venezuela early in his business career. Bush converted to Catholicism after moving to Miami.

The Democratic allied group, EMILY's List, issued a statement shortly before Bush's appearance charging that his platform "hinders the ability for Latinas to make personal health choices and their economic security." Bush, his advisers said, say he supports efforts to strip federal financing from Planned Parenthood because of its connection to abortion services.

To be sure, Bush is not completely in step with activists who want accommodations made for people illegally in the U.S. Like other Republican presidential prospects, he has said he would overturn President Barack Obama's executive order shielding millions of immigrants from deportation.

Yet Bush was received warmly by the Hispanic crowd in Houston. He was introduced as someone who understands Hispanic culture and literally speaks its language. Of the large field of likely Republican White House prospects, only Florida Sen. Marco Rubio also speaks fluent Spanish.

Bush said the nation's economy depends on a restructured immigration system. "This country does not do well when people lurk in the shadows," Bush said. "This country does spectacularly well when everybody can pursue their God-given abilities."

Organizers say Rubio was invited to address the conference, but declined because of a scheduling conflict. Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee was scheduled to appear Wednesday night.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline aligncare

Re: Jeb Bush: Give 11 Million Immigrants Chance to Stay
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 09:07:15 pm »
I don't care how conservative Jeb bush was as governor, his stance on illegal immigration now makes his candidacy a nonstarter for me.

And if I hear him say one more time that we are a nation of immigrants I think my head is going to explode.

We are a nation of legal immigrants.

Offline raml

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 11:27:13 pm »
He is an idiot the biggest cost in our country today is all the tax money being spent on these poor illegal immigrants who come here with nothing and give nothing back just take and take our welfare rolls are filled with them since Obama came into power. It was bad before but his stupid illegal executive orders has worsened the problem two fold.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 11:43:03 pm »
Hispanics make up 37% of the populations of California and Texas, and 24% of Florida.

The majority of them are native born citizens, not illegals.

Nevertheless, Republicans insist on being dismissive, disrespectful of these people, and it hurts in terms of getting votes.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 12:04:01 am »
Hispanics make up 37% of the populations of California and Texas, and 24% of Florida.

The majority of them are native born citizens, not illegals.

Nevertheless, Republicans insist on being dismissive, disrespectful of these people, and it hurts in terms of getting votes.

I don't know, maybe you do - do Hispanic people that were born here and those who came here legally want those who came in by the back door to have the same rights as they have by their legal status? 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 01:33:55 am »
I don't know, maybe you do - do Hispanic people that were born here and those who came here legally want those who came in by the back door to have the same rights as they have by their legal status? 

The facts say this:  they don't like the way the GOP is seen to be demonizing people, illegal or not. 

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 02:00:08 am »
Not a chance in (you know where) I would cast a vote for this guy, not ever...

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 03:46:28 am »
The facts say this:  they don't like the way the GOP is seen to be demonizing people, illegal or not.
Stated better than I could.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 03:50:07 am »
Hispanics that are native born or naturalized citizens are all across the spectrum I think.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 10:36:07 am »
They don't like the fact that their friends and family are being called out as the thieves they are. It's the same problem the welfare rats have when they're called out on their perpetual dependency.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 04:28:04 pm »
Better pick up some of this:

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 04:36:28 pm »
Hispanics that are native born or naturalized citizens are all across the spectrum I think.

:thumbsup:

This is an important point with not only Hispanics but gays as well. These people would vote Republican if they didn't feel like the party hated them.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline aligncare

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 05:30:08 pm »
:thumbsup:

This is an important point with not only Hispanics but gays as well. These people would vote Republican if they didn't feel like the party hated them.

Sorry, Dex. Nothing the GOP could ever do will change the democrat line of attack. It's a toxic message  amplified and constantly reinforced by their willing accomplices in the media: republicans are racist, homophobic, xenophobic, blah, blah, blah.

This despite there being Log Cabin republicans, and 40 percent of Latinos who oftentimes agree with republican issues, or the many black conservatives out there fighting the good fight.

No, the larger narrative will never change, no matter how much ground we yield. It's all the donks have in their quiver.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 05:38:04 pm »

The old bait n switch.

Imply there are only 11 Million Illegals...

Then say "Oops" when 30 Million new Demonrat voters materialize...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 05:43:11 pm »
They don't like the fact that their friends and family are being called out as the thieves they are. It's the same problem the welfare rats have when they're called out on their perpetual dependency.
That is a really good illustration of "demonizing," which harms the conservative cause of getting votes.

My wife's cousin married a man that is 1/2 Hispanic including his surname. His father was career Air Force. His Hispanic family dates to the early 1800s when California was a colony of Spain.

He is a devout Catholic, and conservative. But he told me it bothers him when Republicans act as if his Hispanic surname equals a wetback, which is precisely what you just did.

I have numerous neighbors, friends, HS classmates that have Hispanic surnames, and served in uniform for our country.

Yet we also have people like you, who would see their name, and question if they have "friends and family " that are wetbacks.

We have a state named "New Mexico" which is probably a big surprise to low information conservatives.

Unwillingness or inability to see the harm caused by alienating and demonizing Hispanics seems just too hard for some so called "conservatives" to grasp.

It is a problem for conservatives, which will solve itself. They will offend the very voters they need for survival.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 05:59:16 pm »
He is a devout Catholic, and conservative. But he told me it bothers him when Republicans act as if his Hispanic surname equals a wetback, which is precisely what you just did.
It is a problem for conservatives, which will solve itself. They will offend the very voters they need for survival.

How can it be a problem for conservatives when you just implied that demonizing Republicans is not a problem that devout, Catholic, conservative Hispanics themselves need to solve?

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 06:03:50 pm »
Better pick up some of this:

I'm ordering a case right now!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 06:13:10 pm »
That is a really good illustration of "demonizing," which harms the conservative cause of getting votes.

My wife's cousin married a man that is 1/2 Hispanic including his surname. His father was career Air Force. His Hispanic family dates to the early 1800s when California was a colony of Spain.

I have numerous neighbors, friends, HS classmates that have Hispanic surnames, and served in uniform for our country.

Yet we also have people like you, who would see their name, and question if they have "friends and family " that are wetbacks.

We have a state named "New Mexico" which is probably a big surprise to low information conservatives.

Unwillingness or inability to see the harm caused by alienating and demonizing Hispanics seems just too hard for some so called "conservatives" to grasp.

People have trouble grasping the big picture. I think the necessity of tactics in politics escapes a lot of them.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 08:43:35 pm »
I don't understand how the GOP is seen as demonizing Hispanics when two of their candidates are Hispanic?

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 08:45:23 pm »
I don't understand how the GOP is seen as demonizing Hispanics when two of their candidates are Hispanic?

When your brains are scrambled, you can see anything you want...

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2015, 09:00:10 pm »
I don't care how conservative Jeb bush was as governor, his stance on illegal immigration now makes his candidacy a nonstarter for me.

And if I hear him say one more time that we are a nation of immigrants I think my head is going to explode.

We are a nation of legal immigrants.

So tell me which viable GOP candidate/s is saying "round them all up and deport them."
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2015, 09:05:42 pm »

They're Cuban, not Hispanic.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2015, 09:07:41 pm »
He is an idiot the biggest cost in our country today is all the tax money being spent on these poor illegal immigrants who come here with nothing and give nothing back just take and take our welfare rolls are filled with them since Obama came into power. It was bad before but his stupid illegal executive orders has worsened the problem two fold.

Which viable GOP candidate has a stated solution to the millions of people here illegally.

P.S. "Go home and get in the back of the line" is dreaming of fairies and unicorns, that's not a policy position.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 09:18:12 pm »
P.S. "Go home and get in the back of the line" is dreaming of fairies and unicorns, that's not a policy position.

Cut off the benefits and a whole bunch would go home all by themselves.

Then look at the next low-hanging opportunity to encourage these people to go be a blessing to their own countries.

It ain't rocket surgery...

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2015, 09:35:29 pm »
They're Cuban, not Hispanic.

Sorry Luis, my mistake.