Author Topic: Young voters want a Democrat in the White House in 2016  (Read 926 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Young voters want a Democrat in the White House in 2016
« on: April 29, 2015, 05:19:05 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/240461-young-voters-want-a-democrat-in-the-white-house-in-2016

April 29, 2015, 10:52 am
Young voters want a Democrat in the White House in 2016

By Jonathan Easley

A strong majority of young voters would like to see a Democrat stay in the White House in 2016, according to a poll from the Harvard Institute of Politics, released on Wednesday.

Fifty-five percent of voters aged 18 to 29 said they’d like to see a Democrat win the presidential race, compared to 40 percent who said they hoped a Republican would be victorious.

Democrats are boosted in the poll by overwhelming support from young minority groups — 87 percent of young black voters polled said they want to see a Democrat in the White House, with 68 percent of young Hispanics saying the same.

However, a majority of young white voters, 53 percent, said they’d like to see a Republican in the White House in 2016, compared to 41 percent who said they want a Democrat.

The data underscores the issues facing the GOP in expanding the party’s appeal to the young voters and minorities that formed a crucial portion of President Obama’s coalition during his presidential runs in 2008 and 2012.

In 2012, the Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement found Obama won 67 percent of the young vote, compared to 30 percent for GOP nominee Mitt Romney. Had the two candidates split voters aged 18 to 29, Romney would have won the election, the analysis found.

Among those young voters who would like to see a Democrat in the White House, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is far and away the front-runner, according to the Harvard poll of millennials. She takes 47 percent support in the poll, followed by Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren at 11 percent, Vice President Biden at 8 percent and former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley at 3 percent.

On the Republican side, Ben Carson leads the tight field of GOP candidates among voters aged 18 to 29, although 36 percent said they’re undecided.

The retired neurosurgeon takes 10 percent in the new poll, followed by Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul at 8 percent, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee at 7 percent each, and Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, Sen. Ted Cruz, and former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin at 5 percent each.

Carson is expected to announce that he’s officially entering the presidential race on Monday from his hometown of Detroit. He’s built a strong following of grassroots conservatives based on his personal story of rising out of poverty to become one of the foremost neurosurgeons in the world.

Paul, who finished second among millennials in the poll, has long had a strong grip on young voters, who generally support his libertarian-leaning views on issues like prison sentencing reform and rolling back the nation’s drug laws.

Rounding out GOP field are New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie at 4 percent, former Texas Gov. Rick Perry at 3 percent, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum at 3 percent and Florida Sen. Marco Rubio coming in a distant 11th place at 2 percent.

President Obama is enjoying a nice boost among young voters. His job performance approval rating has leaped from 43 percent in October to 50 percent in the latest poll.

The Harvard poll was gathered through online interviews with 3,034 young adults between March 18 and April 1.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 05:19:25 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online andy58-in-nh

Re: Young voters want a Democrat in the White House in 2016
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 07:01:54 pm »
Of course they support Democrats. Few of them actually pay taxes, or else pay a relatively small amount.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 08:00:47 pm »
To really understand these results, one needs to know the similarities and differences with other years.

For instance, don't young voters usually favor democrats?  Carson over Paul by even the narrow margin is surprising.

On the GOP side a huge problem is what a candidate would need to support to get youth voters, but at an equal and offsetting loss of older voters.

IOW to get more young voters, would take different stances on gays, abortion and immigration; and taking that stand would cost older voters. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 08:12:51 pm »
I see the young leaning far more libertarian than Democrat in philosophy right now. The problem is the dems are trying to angle in on this while most of the Republicans are not marketing to them. With some exceptions of course.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 08:13:53 pm »
They think they can play games.

They think they can get the monkeys to dance for them.

Millionaires in big White houses, telling the monkeys how to dance?

What they are doing is bigger than a game. It is bigger than they ever thought it would be.

So, let's go. I'm ready. Let's get it on...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 08:18:16 pm »
Okay, I'll admit it. I was an economic and political moron in my 20s...

I supported Governor Moonbeam (mostly because he was dating Linda Ronstadt), and every ballot initiative that increased California state spending and/or taxes.

Raising the voting age to 35 doesn't seem too unreasonable, does it? – if by that we can save the union.

Hey, call it fate. I think Obama is the penitence we in the 60's generation must pay for our youthful liberal indiscretions.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 02:02:12 am »
[[ Young voters want a Democrat in the White House in 2016 ]]

Nothing new here.

I doubt any person reading this post will live to see the day when "young voters" again prefer a Republican (or any "non-democrat", for that matter) in the presidency...

Offline Longiron

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 03:11:37 pm »
I see the young leaning far more libertarian than Democrat in philosophy right now. The problem is the dems are trying to angle in on this while most of the Republicans are not marketing to them. With some exceptions of course.

Correct they are leaning libertarian from a number of sources. They don't vote as a group anyway! But one has to define young?

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 03:39:54 pm »

The problem is so many young people have figured out that Republicans don't actually represent the desire for small government. The Democrats at least appeal to their social beliefs.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 04:24:16 pm »
The problem is so many young people have figured out that Republicans don't actually represent the desire for small government. The Democrats at least appeal to their social beliefs.

The Republicans could do so much with this if they angled Dems social policy with big government, not getting government out of their business like they think their social policy stands for. With the exception of abortion which the Dems have been pretty firm on, they are all over the map on other social issues and can't be trusted on any of those. Would you really trust the party of Westboro and defending Iran with keeping lists of who is gay? Do you really think the party of smoking bans and the food Nazis will really let you have legalized pot?