Author Topic: Rand Paul: It Was a 'Mistake' to Overthrow Saddam Hussein  (Read 9920 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Re: Rand Paul: It Was a 'Mistake' to Overthrow Saddam Hussein
« Reply #150 on: May 01, 2015, 06:25:14 pm »
I knew you used that word just to tweak me, Dex.

I thought I'd make the most of it.   ^-^

btw, did you listen to the song?  It's sweet and peaceful, just like you wish the world would be................ but isn't.

Cause some people really are evil, and not just misguided........ and somebody needs to stop them from brutalizing innocent people.

Fortunately, the US military is one of the most honorable, if not THE most honorable institutions in the history of the world, and even though some people don't realize it, some times we DO need to intervene and stop the progression of that evil throughout the world.

Isolationism will lead to the death and destruction of many, many innocent people.

That's why I'm not going to vote for Rand Paul in the primary.   He seems too skittish to keep us safe.

And he's dead wrong about Iraq.  NO mistake.

I will always strive to make the world as good as we wish it could be. We decide our own limitations.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 06:31:40 pm by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline musiclady

« Reply #151 on: May 01, 2015, 06:58:55 pm »
I will always strive to make the world as good as we wish it could be. We decide our own limitations.

Funny.... but that's what the soldiers who are proud to have served in Iraq and Afghanistan know that they have done.

They have made the world a better place by protecting America and getting rid of some really evil people.

I'm sorry you're not proud of what you have done to make the world better by serving in the US military in a noble mission.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #152 on: May 01, 2015, 07:34:46 pm »
Funny.... but that's what the soldiers who are proud to have served in Iraq and Afghanistan know that they have done.

They have made the world a better place by protecting America and getting rid of some really evil people.

I'm sorry you're not proud of what you have done to make the world better by serving in the US military in a noble mission.

The frustration Dex must feel is that the sacrifice of American blood and treasure ended up being nothing but simply outscoring your opponent for a quarter or half.  A rally.

The wrench in the gears was Barack Hussein Obama.  For no other Democrat president would have abandoned Iraq or assisted in re-writing the Islamic world map.

THAT makes Dex and many of us mad as hell, because we interpret that as meaning all those who paid the ultimate price, did so in vain.

And I'm not some anti-war hippie of the 60's.   I'm all for killing the hell out of them.   

And m'lady, while I'm one of your biggest fans, with no malice intended whatsoever...I'm afraid that if the question was raised to those killed and wounded in combat over there, they'd feel betrayed that their deaths were made insignificant with the stroke of a pen.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 07:39:06 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline musiclady

« Reply #153 on: May 01, 2015, 07:44:04 pm »
The frustration Dex must feel is that the sacrifice of American blood and treasure ended up being nothing but simply outscoring your opponent for a quarter or half.  A rally.

The wrench in the gears was Barack Hussein Obama.  For no other Democrat president would have abandoned Iraq or assisted in re-writing the Islamic world map.

THAT makes Dex and many of us mad as hell, because we interpret that as meaning all those who paid the ultimate price, did so in vain.

And I'm not some anti-war hippie of the 60's.   I'm all for killing the hell out of them.

Trust me, I know that it was Hussein who deliberately destroyed what was accomplished in Iraq.

And it makes me furious as well because, even though Dex diminished the anguish of having a child in a war, it was horrific for us while our son was deployed............ twice.  Voluntarily.  And it's unbearable to realize that his sacrifice (and ours) was squandered by the punk in the WH.

But my point is, just as I am proud of every one of our troops who served because their mission WAS noble, I think Dex should be proud of his service as well.  I don't know how you get there with a traitor like Obama as CinC, but he needs to get there.  He needs to remember why he signed up in the first place and remember that what he did was a good thing, in spite of Obama's despicable destruction of the successful mission after the fact.

It's one thing to think it may have not been the right decision in retrospect.  It's quite another to use the language Dex has used to diminish the importance of what was done, and belittle those who still think it was the right thing as somehow being 'ignorant.'
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 07:45:05 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #154 on: May 03, 2015, 01:21:16 am »
And it makes me furious as well because, even though Dex diminished the anguish of having a child in a war, it was horrific for us while our son was deployed............ twice.  Voluntarily.  And it's unbearable to realize that his sacrifice (and ours) was squandered by the punk in the WH.

It wasn't my intention to diminish what you went through as a parent. I'm sure it was difficult and painful.

But my point is, just as I am proud of every one of our troops who served because their mission WAS noble, I think Dex should be proud of his service as well.  I don't know how you get there with a traitor like Obama as CinC, but he needs to get there.  He needs to remember why he signed up in the first place and remember that what he did was a good thing, in spite of Obama's despicable destruction of the successful mission after the fact.

I am proud of my military service. I know it might not seem that way, but it's the truth. I can be proud of my service and not approve of what our government has done at the same time.

It's one thing to think it may have not been the right decision in retrospect.  It's quite another to use the language Dex has used to diminish the importance of what was done, and belittle those who still think it was the right thing as somehow being 'ignorant.'

If war taught me anything it is that violence is almost never a good solution. I have no problem admitting that I was far from the biggest bad ass in the room. Whatever other soldiers have that allows them to kill without thought, I don't have it. Whatever allows them to see what they see and not question the mission and whether or not any of it was necessary, I don't have it. I'm sure a better soldier would have done his duty without ever questioning the mission. I don't believe the things I did made the world a better place. I'm absolutely ashamed of some of the things I did. I lie to my own family about what happened while I was deployed. If that means I've disgraced myself or the uniform I wore then so be it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 03:41:08 am by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #155 on: May 03, 2015, 11:36:05 am »
It wasn't my intention to diminish what you went through as a parent. I'm sure it was difficult and painful.

I am proud of my military service. I know it might not seem that way, but it's the truth. I can be proud of my service and not approve of what our government has done at the same time.

If war taught me anything it is that violence is almost never a good solution. I have no problem admitting that I was far from the biggest bad ass in the room. Whatever other soldiers have that allows them to kill without thought, I don't have it. Whatever allows them to see what they see and not question the mission and whether or not any of it was necessary, I don't have it. I'm sure a better soldier would have done his duty without ever questioning the mission. I don't believe the things I did made the world a better place. I'm absolutely ashamed of some of the things I did. I lie to my own family about what happened while I was deployed. If that means I've disgraced myself or the uniform I wore then so be it.

Thank you very much for your service, Dex.  You have my utmost respect.

Not only for serving, but the manner in which you communicate and conduct yourself.   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #156 on: May 03, 2015, 11:51:00 am »
Thank you very much for your service, Dex.  You have my utmost respect.

Not only for serving, but the manner in which you communicate and conduct yourself.   :beer:

Indeed!
It's the Supreme Court nominations!