Author Topic: Rand Paul: It Was a 'Mistake' to Overthrow Saddam Hussein  (Read 9967 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Rand Paul: It Was a 'Mistake' to Overthrow Saddam Hussein
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2015, 06:30:36 pm »
No argument from me. "Hearts and minds" and the ridiculous ROE you guys suffered under .... gods, I could rant all day about that.

Don't get me started!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2015, 06:58:28 pm »
In Afghan, and in Iraq, the major mistake was George Bush. I'm sure you all remember the "winning the hearts and minds" mantra they kept pushing on us.

These were not 'wars' in the sense that we are going to blow the shit out of enemy, take the country with a reserve force, and then leave. That is what a war is.

No, we were supposed to 'make friends' with fanatic murderers who wanted nothing more than to kill us. Weird.

The Bush strategy on war was, "Yeah, we kind of want to have a war, but we don't want to really hurt anybody." This caused chaos, and a 20 year "military action".

Both of these wars could have been over in 2 years, max 5 years. But, the people in charge at the time didn't have the balls to do what it takes to fight a real war, and, I fear, in fact I know, they still don't.

just my pathetic 2cents.

All the dead terrorists might disagree with you on that point.....    :smokin:

That said, if these wars had been waged more aggressively, we would have won them sooner.

But we DID win them.

Until Obama came along.....
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2015, 07:03:22 pm »
No argument from me. "Hearts and minds" and the ridiculous ROE you guys suffered under .... gods, I could rant all day about that.

Again, I'm going to be in the minority here, but I don't think the Petraeus plan was a bad one.

The Psyop plan in place was working.  The relationship with the Iraqi people being built helped locate weapons and terrorists so that we could get rid of them.  I know it isn't generally agreed upon, but this was an unconventional war, and had to be waged in an unconventional manner.

btw, American and coalition troops were trusted by the Iraqis.  They did not trust their own troops.

Obviously for good reason......

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2015, 07:49:32 pm »
The very big issue is avoided. Will American voters support a big enough military force, to defeat, occupy, pacify the Islamic world, or not?

To do so probably requires a draft, by the way. So while Powell argued for more troops, Rumsfeld did the two theaters, "on the cheap" in terms of headcounts. The "surges" were interesting names for trying to get the job done, without full scale occupation, pacification, de-islamization, etc.

In both Germany and Japan we stayed until the job was done in its entirety. We conducted individual de-nazification, in Germany. Went through roster of citizens.

WWII was the last major conflict which we won decisively and kept won. Why is beyond my pay grade.

I guess this "hearts and minds" theory comes from Vietnam. Interesting, but not  decisive win for us.

I think the best long term results come from decisive victory, unconditional surrender, keeping your foot gently on their necks, until they demonstrate by actions no more attempts for war. That defines Germany and Japan today.

In the days following 9/11/2001 I believe a President could have reinstituted the draft, if he was advised to do so by the military. Even if not done, we should have had a public discussion.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2015, 08:04:19 pm »

Yeah, that's when you take the military, the Department of State, and a fickle electorate, add a touch of unrealistic political goals, stir and serve.  When we believe our military is an all-purpose foreign policy tool...we've already lost.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2015, 08:19:23 pm »
Excellent comments, all, and a good discussion.  :patriot:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2015, 08:26:25 pm »
Impossible to prove I suppose, but had there been a cohesive Administration following GWB, we'd be touting Iraq as a successful - or at least, hopeful - use of our military.  We had it in our hands to develop a base in Iraq of some "permanency" smack between Syria and Iran with the sensible Kurds and (yes) the Turks to the north.  Saudi Arabia, to the south would be friendly flyover sand to Yemen/Somalia and we'd have had an immoveable naval fleet presence in the Persian Gulf.  Stubborn democratic reform in Iraq would have had a life.  Our intelligence in the region would be growing exponentially by the day.

Instead, because of Obama's political calculus, we have Assad entrenched, ISIS and massive relinquished territory, thousands of innocent dead and persecuted, Iraq again in disarray, Putin's navy in the Gulf, Iran is trading rugs for nukes with John Kerry, Israel is on its own for the most part, Yemen is training its own jihadists, and emboldened bad guys throughout the region. And don't forget Afghanistan and even Pakistan being bold and cocky. 

We were there.  Blood and treasure sunk and invested.  What remained was a generational presence.  Obama ensured the catastrophe.

(BTW... I could not agree more on the Rules of Engagement.)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 08:34:43 pm by Lando Lincoln »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2015, 08:29:51 pm »
Yeah, that's when you take the military, the Department of State, and a fickle electorate, add a touch of unrealistic political goals, stir and serve.  When we believe our military is an all-purpose foreign policy tool...we've already lost.

Well - it can be a multi purpose tool. A hell of a lot of the good done and good will formed (and since squandered) in Iraq and Afghanistan did come down to the troops on the ground - the ordinary guys. Especially the US troops, if I'm going to be completely honest. They were damned amazing when they were permitted to be and deserve massive amounts of respect. The first two ingredients in your recipe do work well together. It's the other two that are toxic.

An electorate that doesn't have the sand to admit that people get hurt playing rough games, an approaching tight election .... I guess it was inevitable. Still bleep hurts though.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline musiclady

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2015, 09:10:14 pm »
Impossible to prove I suppose, but had there been a cohesive Administration following GWB, we'd be touting Iraq as a successful - or at least, hopeful - use of our military.  We had it in our hands to develop a base in Iraq of some "permanency" smack between Syria and Iran with the sensible Kurds and (yes) the Turks to the north.  Saudi Arabia, to the south would be friendly flyover sand to Yemen/Somalia and we'd have had an immoveable naval fleet presence in the Persian Gulf.  Stubborn democratic reform in Iraq would have had a life.  Our intelligence in the region would be growing exponentially by the day.

Instead, because of Obama's political calculus, we have Assad entrenched, ISIS and massive relinquished territory, thousands of innocent dead and persecuted, Iraq again in disarray, Putin's navy in the Gulf, Iran is trading rugs for nukes with John Kerry, Israel is on its own for the most part, Yemen is training its own jihadists, and emboldened bad guys throughout the region. And don't forget Afghanistan and even Pakistan being bold and cocky. 

We were there.  Blood and treasure sunk and invested.  What remained was a generational presence.  Obama ensured the catastrophe.

goopo

Offline musiclady

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2015, 09:12:29 pm »
Well - it can be a multi purpose tool. A hell of a lot of the good done and good will formed (and since squandered) in Iraq and Afghanistan did come down to the troops on the ground - the ordinary guys. Especially the US troops, if I'm going to be completely honest. They were damned amazing when they were permitted to be and deserve massive amounts of respect. The first two ingredients in your recipe do work well together. It's the other two that are toxic.

An electorate that doesn't have the sand to admit that people get hurt playing rough games, an approaching tight election .... I guess it was inevitable. Still bleep hurts though.

Thanks for that post, EC.

I agree completely.

Our troops were truly the good guys in Iraq, and they were respected.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2015, 09:21:15 pm »
Americans are a goodhearted people.  And, historically wherever in the world the American soldier has gone he has brought good will and been greeted as a liberator.  Except of course, in enemy territory —  and sometimes, even there.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 10:24:33 pm by aligncare »

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2015, 10:19:27 pm »

The problem isn't that American troops (or others) can't be decent to the locals in a combat zone, but rather the attempts to mix it all together in some hybrid foreign policy machine featuring our military.  We tried it in Vietnam and it simply didn't work.  Our ROE even then was, at times, absurd.  In Afghanistan it's been pathetic, and can be observed from reading military blogs. 

Our military should be used to "break things and kill people" (author unknown).  Just as with the Marshall Plan for Europe and our post victory efforts in Japan, we essentially waited until the military operations were over before beginning the nation building. 

Winning the hearts and minds is a wonderful concept, but should never interfere with operational goals.  Giving the military too many rules of engagement that include political and diplomatic objectives which frequently contradict or interfere with operations can and does prove disastrous. 

I realize that I wouldn't begin to fit into today's military environment, but I also know what a lot of today's warriors think. 

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2015, 10:52:30 pm »
goopo

Thanks m'lady. (I hope ac sees this!)
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline aligncare

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2015, 10:57:17 pm »
Thanks m'lady. (I hope ac sees this!)

LOL. Duly noted, sir!

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2015, 12:33:43 am »
aligncare wrote above:
[[ However I do agree with massadvj's larger point. I, too, would love to see a day when the US can extricate itself from the Middle East quagmire. ]]

There are only two methods by which the US can "extricate itself" from the Middle East:
1. Reduce the entire portion of the planet to glass using nuclear weapons
2. Build a "great wall" around it as if it were as radioactive as Chernobyl.

As the saying goes:
"You may not be interested in islam. But islam is interested in YOU."
(apologies to Vladimir Lenin)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 12:34:25 am by Fishrrman »

Online Fishrrman

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2015, 12:42:41 am »
truth_seeker asks, in a thoughtful post:
[[ The very big issue is avoided. Will American voters support a big enough military force, to defeat, occupy, pacify the Islamic world, or not? ]]

Simple answer:
No.

Not even after this nation suffers a nuclear attack from islam.

It's just not going to happen.

I wish I could be more optimistic.

But again, the answer to your fundamental question is..... no.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2015, 12:52:01 am »
aligncare wrote above:
[[ However I do agree with massadvj's larger point. I, too, would love to see a day when the US can extricate itself from the Middle East quagmire. ]]

There are only two methods by which the US can "extricate itself" from the Middle East:
1. Reduce the entire portion of the planet to glass using nuclear weapons
2. Build a "great wall" around it as if it were as radioactive as Chernobyl.

As the saying goes:
"You may not be interested in islam. But islam is interested in YOU."
(apologies to Vladimir Lenin)

Well said and entirely true!  :patriot:

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2015, 05:45:57 am »

:beer:
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2015, 05:59:13 am »
I've read all the comments on this thread. Agreed with many, disagreed with quite a few.

I guess we can now, almost 14 years later, deem overthrowing Saddam a costly mistake, and be critical of the entire war effort.

I can however, clearly remember what the country felt like in the time immediately after the attacks on 9/11, and for quite a number of years after them.

We wanted to blow s#it up and $#%#$ up some turban-wearing people.

So we went out and did it, then we lost the stomach for the fight.

GWB told us exactly what to expect, but when the passion and patriotic fervor died, and those little American flags we all clipped to our car windows frayed and faded, we allowed politicians to politicize the war, and we lost.

"Americans are asking, "What is expected of us?"

I ask you to live your lives and hug your children. I know many citizens have fears tonight, and I ask you to be calm and resolute, even in the face of a continuing threat.

I ask you to uphold the values of America and remember why so many have come here.

We're in a fight for our principles, and our first responsibility is to live by them. No one should be singled out for unfair treatment or unkind words because of their ethnic background or religious faith.

I ask you to continue to support the victims of this tragedy with your contributions. Those who want to give can go to a central source of information, Libertyunites.org, to find the names of groups providing direct help in New York, Pennsylvania and Virginia. The thousands of FBI agents who are now at work in this investigation may need your cooperation, and I ask you to give it. I ask for your patience with the delays and inconveniences that may accompany tighter security and for your patience in what will be a long struggle." - President George W. Bush, September 21, 2001

The long war GWB warned us about is still raging, but we lost the stomach for it,

We don't want to bleed on foreign soil anymore, and I get that.

The problem is that the long war war will be fought, and if not on foreign soil, we will bleed here.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2015, 11:16:44 am »
Luis wrote:

The long war GWB warned us about is still raging, but we lost the stomach for it,

We don't want to bleed on foreign soil anymore, and I get that.

The problem is that the long war war will be fought, and if not on foreign soil, we will bleed here.

Indeed!

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2015, 11:33:13 am »

While I do not doubt this, doesn't it make more sense to fight it strategically rather than just lashing out at whoever seems convenient at the moment? 

For example, who exactly is our enemy?  ISIS?  Fine.  We help Iran immeasurably by wiping out ISIS and probably facilitate a Sunni caliphate in the Middle East. 

Iran?  Well then, we help ISIS. 

Both?  Do we have the capability to fight two enemies who are fighting each other?  Who fills the vacuum when it is over?  And why would we want to, when they are doing the job for us?

It seems to me we should keep our powder dry, reinforce our defenses, closely monitor the situation and possibly act covertly to keep these two forces of evil killing each other for as long as possible.  Instead, OPapaDoc is trying to turn Iran into an ally, a monumental mistake our children will pay dearly for.

Just wanting to kill Muslims is a kneejerk reaction that the media exploits to get our gander up for wars that do not end, to make sustainable a military industrial complex with an insatiable appetite for revenue.  It all needs to be rethought. 

People Like John McCain and Lindsey Graham, who continue to embrace the neocon world view, are in complete denial IMHO.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2015, 01:49:59 pm »
For example, who exactly is our enemy?

The answer to that is really simple Victor. Our enemy is, and always has been, the Mullah regime in Iran! No one here, or anywhere else, seems to want to deal with that fact but until they are dealt with NOTHING much is going to change in that region!

I am well aware of the fact that my continuing to bring that up makes me somewhat unpopular but so be it!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 02:45:41 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2015, 02:00:30 pm »

While I do not doubt this, doesn't it make more sense to fight it strategically rather than just lashing out at whoever seems convenient at the moment? 

For example, who exactly is our enemy?  ISIS?  Fine.  We help Iran immeasurably by wiping out ISIS and probably facilitate a Sunni caliphate in the Middle East. 

Iran?  Well then, we help ISIS. 

Both?  Do we have the capability to fight two enemies who are fighting each other?  Who fills the vacuum when it is over?  And why would we want to, when they are doing the job for us?

It seems to me we should keep our powder dry, reinforce our defenses, closely monitor the situation and possibly act covertly to keep these two forces of evil killing each other for as long as possible.  Instead, OPapaDoc is trying to turn Iran into an ally, a monumental mistake our children will pay dearly for.

Just wanting to kill Muslims is a kneejerk reaction that the media exploits to get our gander up for wars that do not end, to make sustainable a military industrial complex with an insatiable appetite for revenue.  It all needs to be rethought. 

People Like John McCain and Lindsey Graham, who continue to embrace the neocon world view, are in complete denial IMHO.

I don't consider wanting to go blow up Muslims in the aftermath of 9/11 any more of a knee jerk reaction than I see wanting to kill Japanese in the aftermath of Pearl Harbor a knee jerk reaction.

In your original post, or rather the one that caught my eye, you commented on the invasion on Iraq, calling it a waste of resources and politically costly.

My comments were about that specific war, not ISIS. We can discuss ISIS if you'd like, but that's a different subject.

In the aftermath of 9/11 the nation wanted war, not because we as a nation are a bunch of knee jerking neocons, but because our people had been massacred right in front of our eyes, and we knew, instinctively knew, that the ONE thing we could NOT do was nothing.

Had GWB made the "keep the powder dry and watch closely" argument as a reaction to the attacks of 9/11 he would have lost his re-election bid to a hawkish Democrat, if not been outright forced to resign.

The political costs of wars is great, but only if you lose them.

The Democrats politicized an invasion they themselves authorized in order to gain political power here. They voted to authorize the Iraqi invasion, then used the Iraqi invasion as a sledge hammer against Bush and the GOP. We let the do that.

The critique on the Iraqi war is not so much grounded on neocons or the "military industrial complex", but rather on the fact that we did not "win" the war.

So in effect, we lost the war twice. Once abroad and once here.

Understanding that, I have to ask myself if the question is whether the war, as a war, was a wasted effort because we didn't "win", or whether those critical of the war set the standard for what constituted "winning" the war so high that they were unattainable, and whether they did that for their own political purposes and gains.

One last thing... the cost of the war.

The US spent nearly $5 trillion on bailouts for failed financial institutions, and slightly less that that for the war.

That's a lot of money.

Of the two, I can justify the war cost more than the costs of the bailouts.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2015, 02:01:33 pm »
The answer to that is really simple Victor. Our enemy is the Mullah regime in Iran! No one here, or anywhere else, seems to want to deal with that fact but until they are dealt with NOTHING much is going to change in that region!

I am well aware of the fact that my continuing to bring that up makes me somewhat unpopular but so be it!

You'll get no argument from me.

Online Fishrrman

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2015, 02:23:41 pm »
mass wrote above:
[[ For example, who exactly is our enemy? ]]

I'm surprised at you, mass.

If you don't know who "the enemy" is by now, you're NEVER going to know.

I sense that perhaps you do know, but that you're posing the question rhetorically.