Author Topic: Rand Paul: It Was a 'Mistake' to Overthrow Saddam Hussein  (Read 9925 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Re: Rand Paul: It Was a 'Mistake' to Overthrow Saddam Hussein
« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2015, 08:01:11 pm »
If we don't think along those terms as well, we are bound to be conquered.

So we need to think more like them. Hmm, okay.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2015, 08:03:20 pm »
Some people are to stupid to argue with!

One of them has been posting on this thread!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Dexter

« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2015, 08:12:01 pm »
Some people are to stupid to argue with!

One of them has been posting on this thread!

A wonderful contribution to the content of the thread as always. Thank you Bigun; I can always count on you.
-Socrates

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #103 on: April 30, 2015, 08:20:13 pm »

Jus bellum iustum
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2015, 08:23:37 pm »
Calm down.

You were there - what do you think was done correctly? Ignore politics, ignore what we know now, AT THE TIME what worked and what did not?

Edit - sorry Luis, that was for Dex, not you.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 08:26:54 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #105 on: April 30, 2015, 08:24:14 pm »

That is such a pantload.

Call me when we start beheading groups of Muslims for being Muslims.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Dexter

« Reply #106 on: April 30, 2015, 08:45:17 pm »
Calm down.

You were there - what do you think was done correctly? Ignore politics, ignore what we know now, AT THE TIME what worked and what did not?

Edit - sorry Luis, that was for Dex, not you.

We have some serious image issues in the Middle East, and that's not hard to understand considering we are a foreign military occupying their living space. It's hard to make friends when typically people are either scared of you or they want to kill you (or both). All they really see is the barrels of our guns and the devastation our bombs leave behind. They don't understand the nuances of the situation and what we are trying to accomplish. When you really think about the situation from their perspective it is not hard to understand how groups like ISIS manage to keep recruiting new people. I really don't see a way to reconcile the situation through military force. There are just too many Muslims and it's too hard to find and target only the bad ones. The harder we push the more they will hate us and the more they hate us the more powerful extremism becomes.

I think the Middle East will modernize and its culture will adapt accordingly. You can already see it happening with women slowly gaining legitimacy in society. A lot of these people are living in what we see as the third world. They don't have the internet, easily accessible education or a plethora of other conveniences we take for granted. I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to live in the 21st century when their lifestyles are not in the 21st century. With time they will learn and grow just like we and everybody else did, but their progress is being hindered by our military bombing the region for over a decade now. Diplomacy and patience is the only thing that will help.
-Socrates

Offline musiclady

« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2015, 09:30:32 pm »
No, I don't, but I do think they are seen that way by a lot of people living in the Middle East.

I think most of them were collateral damage caused by our misguided attempts to do the right thing.

I'm a relativist. I'll probably get a lot of flak for this, but I don't feel there are bad guys. I think the extremists are ignorant people that believe they are doing the right thing. That doesn't mean what they're doing isn't bad, just that they are too ignorant/misguided to realize it. If you grew up in the Middle East and all of the adults in your life told you the United States was bad and all you ever saw was their occupation of the country you live in there is a good chance you wouldn't like the United States either. In the end it is all about perspective. I think most human violence comes from an inability to understand each other.

I think you need to stop lumping my brothers and sisters in with the criminal political system that sent them there. Soldiers are not responsible for anything that has happened. They are heroes for stepping up and filling an important role.

All right............ I came back to address your drivel, but I see that many others have already done so.

Let me just say this, which I have concluded from your amoral postings (in case you don't understand the term, you don't differentiate between good and evil, determining good and bad only by ones 'intent' with no moral absolutes to guide you).

You have indicted our troops and blamed them for 500,000 Iraqi deaths.  That is a LIE. (I do believe in moral absolutes).

You have claimed a moral equivalency between vicious beheaders and honorable men and women in US uniforms.  That is a FALSE equivalency.

And you have misinterpreted (deliberately, I'm sure) my accusations directed at YOU and smeared them across our troops.

And let me just say this, for the record.  I am very suspicious of your claims that you served in Iraq in the US military.  I'm not saying that there aren't liberal peaceniks who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan.   I just don't trust anyone who comes on a Republican/Conservative forum spouting the anarchist drivel you spout completely inconsistent with your claims of service.

I could be wrong.

But I don't think I am.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2015, 10:03:28 pm »
All right............ I came back to address your drivel, but I see that many others have already done so.

Thank you for the insulting and unnecessary opener.

You have indicted our troops and blamed them for 500,000 Iraqi deaths.  That is a LIE. (I do believe in moral absolutes).

If you read what I said you would see that I actually said the troops are not to blame for anything. The troops volunteer to serve the country and have to honor that commitment no matter how misguided their government is. 

And you have misinterpreted (deliberately, I'm sure) my accusations directed at YOU and smeared them across our troops.

No, you assumed that my criticisms of the actions of our government extended to the troops, and they don't. You tried to make me sound like I don't support our troops when in reality I don't support our government. The two are not mutually exclusive.

And let me just say this, for the record.  I am very suspicious of your claims that you served in Iraq in the US military.  I'm not saying that there aren't liberal peaceniks who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan.   I just don't trust anyone who comes on a Republican/Conservative forum spouting the anarchist drivel you spout completely inconsistent with your claims of service.

Going to Iraq and seeing what war really is shaped my opinions into what you perceive as liberalism. I think people like you don't understand the gravity of what it means to go to war when you wantonly suggest we fight never ending fights in the Middle East. Soldiers are heroes for offering the service that they do, but war should always be an absolute last resort because of what our soldiers have to go through. Do you have any idea what it is like to take a human life? Do you know the terror of being in a life or death struggle? Have you ever seen the anguish on the faces of the people that loved the person you killed? I know we are wasting our time over there, and sometimes I have to struggle to remain civil when people are so consumed by ignorance and fear that they can't see it, when people like you would have my brothers and sisters witness more atrocities for nothing and then question MY patriotism when I stand against it. I think it's you that doesn't support the troops, not me.

I could be wrong.

But I don't think I am.

I imagine this is common for you.
-Socrates

Offline musiclady

« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2015, 10:15:30 pm »
Going to Iraq and seeing what war really is shaped my opinions into what you perceive as liberalism. I think people like you don't understand the gravity of what it means to go to war when you wantonly suggest we fight never ending fights in the Middle East. Soldiers are heroes for offering the service that they do, but war should always be an absolute last resort because of what our soldiers have to go through. Do you have any idea what it is like to take a human life? Do you know the terror of being in a life or death struggle? Have you ever seen the anguish on the faces of the people that loved the person you killed? I know we are wasting our time over there, and sometimes I have to struggle to remain civil when people are so consumed by ignorance and fear that they can't see it, when people like you would have my brothers and sisters witness more atrocities for nothing and then question MY patriotism when I stand against it. I think it's you that doesn't support the troops, not me.

Do you know that my son was awarded a Bronze Star during his second deployment to one of the most hazardous parts of Baghdad?  We have an incredibly close relationship, and I know almost every detail of the hell he went through defending this country.  Calling me ignorant and saying I don't support the troops may make you feel better, but it makes you even more the fool.

He came back changed, but he didn't come back hating America, and he certainly didn't compare his honorable service with the beheading and mutilation of innocent people.  There is NO moral equivalence between our troops and terrorism.  (And you still haven't addressed the crucifixion and sexual abuse of Christians by these poor schleps you defend as merely "ignorant.")

You can disagree with our involvement in Iraq, as many here have done, but your accusations against our troops and what they did in Iraq, and refusal to recognize the pure evil of the enemy,  will always remain for me, inexcusable and  unforgiveable.

You can respond if you wish with more drivel and whining, but I'm going to take the advice of others, and end this (worthless) conversation.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 10:18:50 pm by musiclady »

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Dexter

« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2015, 10:22:52 pm »
Do you know that my son was awarded a Bronze Star during his second deployment to one of the most hazardous parts of Baghdad?  We have an incredibly close relationship, and I know almost every detail of the hell he went through defending this country.  Calling me ignorant may make you feel better, but it makes you even more the fool.

Having children that served does not qualify you to understand what it's like to go to war. It also doesn't make you any less ignorant to the situation (obviously).

He came back changed, but he didn't come back hating America, and he certainly didn't compare his honorable service with the beheading and mutilation of innocent people.  There is NO moral equivalence between our troops and terrorism.  (And you still haven't addressed the crucifixion and sexual abuse of Christians by these poor schleps you defend as merely "ignorant.")

You can disagree with our involvement in Iraq, as many here have done, but your accusations against our troops and what they did in Iraq, and refusal to recognize the pure evil of the enemy,  will always remain for me, inexcusable and  unforgiveable.

You can respond if you wish with more drivel and whining, but I'm going to take the advice of others, and end this (worthless) conversation.

If you honestly took what I said to mean that our soldiers are no better than violent extremists then I am confident that I do not possess the ability to make you see reason.
-Socrates

Offline musiclady

« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2015, 10:46:42 pm »
Having children that served does not qualify you to understand what it's like to go to war. It also doesn't make you any less ignorant to the situation (obviously).

An utterly foolish, ignorant, thoughtless statement.

(My long-time, military Mom friend, mystery-ak will be fascinated to find out that she isn't qualified to understand what it's like to go to war since it was only her husband and son who served....... and that she, as a result, is ignorant). 

If you honestly took what I said to mean that our soldiers are no better than violent extremists then I am confident that I do not possess the ability to make you see reason.

Equally foolish.  Dexter doesn't read what he writes. 

Others do.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 11:02:15 pm by musiclady »

Offline Dexter

« Reply #112 on: April 30, 2015, 10:52:44 pm »
Dexter doesn't read what he writes. 

Others do.

Dexter understands what he writes.

Musiclady doesn't.
-Socrates

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #113 on: April 30, 2015, 11:02:51 pm »
We have some serious image issues in the Middle East, and that's not hard to understand considering we are a foreign military occupying their living space. It's hard to make friends when typically people are either scared of you or they want to kill you (or both). All they really see is the barrels of our guns and the devastation our bombs leave behind. They don't understand the nuances of the situation and what we are trying to accomplish. When you really think about the situation from their perspective it is not hard to understand how groups like ISIS manage to keep recruiting new people. I really don't see a way to reconcile the situation through military force. There are just too many Muslims and it's too hard to find and target only the bad ones. The harder we push the more they will hate us and the more they hate us the more powerful extremism becomes.

I think the Middle East will modernize and its culture will adapt accordingly. You can already see it happening with women slowly gaining legitimacy in society. A lot of these people are living in what we see as the third world. They don't have the internet, easily accessible education or a plethora of other conveniences we take for granted. I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to live in the 21st century when their lifestyles are not in the 21st century. With time they will learn and grow just like we and everybody else did, but their progress is being hindered by our military bombing the region for over a decade now. Diplomacy and patience is the only thing that will help.
You seem to be missing the logical timeframe.  FIRST you decisively defeat the enemy.

ONLY after the enemy is defeated, should you be concerned with hearts, minds, nation building, etc.

We have been effectively been playing whack-a-mole with too few troops from 9/12/2001 and going between "shock and awe" to partial occupation and pacification, to disbanding their military, to getting surprised by insurgents thought to not exist, to "Surge," to withdrawal by an announced deadline, etc.

But never the FIRST STEP of decisive victory. We simply did not have enough troops to control the situation and occupy. This has been a "trial and error" approach from day one.

Along comes Petraeus and it looks too good to be true. A genius with a PhD. to save us from adequately staffing for decisive victory. He knows how to "surge" and win hearts and minds.  And that will spare us doing the FIRST STEP of decisive victory.

Dexter says war with these people is too hard. Dexter I don't blame you for feeling the government is at fault. That you and your fellow troops are cannon fodder.

That is not unlike Vietnam, when guys came home to angry civilian protests, and the war was left without completion.

Since WWII we have spent much of our nation's treasury on weapons of war, but have not waged wars to successful conclusions.

If the war is waged for a quick, decisive victory, it minimizes loss of life. People on both sides can grasp that. If the enemy can't grasp it yet, too bad.

Increasingly I think our dependence on costly, powerful weapons has left us with a deficit in other areas. Intelligence, propaganda, etc. But mostly we have had a lack of leadership, to take the actions for decisive victory. That is the key element.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #114 on: April 30, 2015, 11:40:13 pm »
An utterly foolish, ignorant, thoughtless statement.

(My long-time, military Mom friend, mystery-ak will be fascinated to find out that she isn't qualified to understand what it's like to go to war since it was only her husband and son who served....... and that she, as a result, is ignorant). 

Equally foolish.  Dexter doesn't read what he writes. 

Others do.

rut roh!

There are just too many Muslims and it's too hard to find and target only the bad ones.

TOO HARD!....please tell me what branch and rank you are...I need to talk to your 1sgt!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

« Reply #115 on: April 30, 2015, 11:48:16 pm »
rut roh!

TOO HARD!....please tell me what branch and rank you are...I need to talk to your 1sgt!

:beer:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2015, 11:52:57 pm »
You seem to be missing the logical timeframe.  FIRST you decisively defeat the enemy.

ONLY after the enemy is defeated, should you be concerned with hearts, minds, nation building, etc.

We have been effectively been playing whack-a-mole with too few troops from 9/12/2001 and going between "shock and awe" to partial occupation and pacification, to disbanding their military, to getting surprised by insurgents thought to not exist, to "Surge," to withdrawal by an announced deadline, etc.

But never the FIRST STEP of decisive victory. We simply did not have enough troops to control the situation and occupy. This has been a "trial and error" approach from day one.

Along comes Petraeus and it looks too good to be true. A genius with a PhD. to save us from adequately staffing for decisive victory. He knows how to "surge" and win hearts and minds.  And that will spare us doing the FIRST STEP of decisive victory.

Dexter says war with these people is too hard. Dexter I don't blame you for feeling the government is at fault. That you and your fellow troops are cannon fodder.

That is not unlike Vietnam, when guys came home to angry civilian protests, and the war was left without completion.

Since WWII we have spent much of our nation's treasury on weapons of war, but have not waged wars to successful conclusions.

If the war is waged for a quick, decisive victory, it minimizes loss of life. People on both sides can grasp that. If the enemy can't grasp it yet, too bad.

Increasingly I think our dependence on costly, powerful weapons has left us with a deficit in other areas. Intelligence, propaganda, etc. But mostly we have had a lack of leadership, to take the actions for decisive victory. That is the key element.

Actually, by the end of Petraeus' surge we had Iraq under control.  You may not like the idea of 'winning hearts and minds' (many don't), but it was actually working in Iraq.

Also........... more than 58, 000 deaths in Vietnam.  About 4000 in Iraq (before Obama took office).

Hardly "cannon fodder."

But I do agree that we should have fought harder and won more quickly than we did.  Toppling Saddam happened fast and worked well.  IMO, keeping that kind of intense war going would have worked far better.

But what do I know?  I'm 'ignorant' according to the 'expert' here.  :patriot:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2015, 12:09:40 am »
m'lady - I'll back dex up to this extent. You really don't know what it's like. Not because you haven't heard about it (you have and you keep your eyes and ears open). Not because you are not smart and empathic (you are, most definitely). Not because you don't want to (you do). It's simply not possible.

Your son (bless him and salute him) may be the most gifted speaker on the planet and as close to you as your own heart, but I'll tell you now - whatever he told you is edited. The boring crap gets edited out. Some of the multifarious grossness' that is daily life just never gets mentioned. Some of the sheer terror moments can't be conveyed.

It's better that way.  :beer:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2015, 12:37:04 am »
m'lady - I'll back dex up to this extent. You really don't know what it's like. Not because you haven't heard about it (you have and you keep your eyes and ears open). Not because you are not smart and empathic (you are, most definitely). Not because you don't want to (you do). It's simply not possible.

Your son (bless him and salute him) may be the most gifted speaker on the planet and as close to you as your own heart, but I'll tell you now - whatever he told you is edited. The boring crap gets edited out. Some of the multifarious grossness' that is daily life just never gets mentioned. Some of the sheer terror moments can't be conveyed.

Which is why the guys who have been there tend not to talk about their experiences much unless they are in the company of others who have also been there. There really isn't anyone else who can fully understand it.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #119 on: May 01, 2015, 12:38:18 am »

OBVIOUSLY I understand all that, EC.  (As you said, I'm not stupid.  ^-^)

It's just that Dex was trying to paint me as an ignorant fool because I have vastly different political views than he.

You know as well as I do that (assuming he's telling the truth and did serve....BIG assumption, IMO because lots of people make things up on the internet), the vast majority of our American troops didn't come back pacifists and apologists for terrorists.  IF he did serve, Dex DID.

He's the anomaly.  Not the rest of the troops.

And his point that there are no "bad guys" has NOTHING to do with any service he MAY have given to America.  It's an entirely different subject that stems from his liberalism, not his supposed military service.

There are legitimate reasons to believe we shouldn't have gone into Iraq.

Dex hasn't cited a single one.

Only drivel.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 12:42:01 am by musiclady »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2015, 12:43:00 am »
OBVIOUSLY I understand all that, EC.  (As you said, I'm not stupid.  ^-^)

It's just that Dex was trying to paint me as an ignorant fool because I have vastly different political views than he.

You know as well as I do that (assuming he's telling the truth and did serve....BIG assumption, IMO because lots of people make things up on the internet), the vast majority of our American troops didn't come back pacifists and apologists for terrorists.  IF he did serve, Dex DID.

He's the anomaly.  Not the rest of the troops.

And his point that there are no "bad guys" has NOTHING to do with any service he MAY have given to America.  It's an entirely different subject that stems from his liberalism, not his supposed military service.

There are legitimate reasons to believe we shouldn't have gone into Iraq.

Dex hasn't cited a single one.

Only drivel.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Dexter

« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2015, 12:49:48 am »

I should aspire to be more like you who never makes judgement calls based on political views.
-Socrates

Offline musiclady

« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2015, 12:53:41 am »
I should aspire to be more like you who never makes judgement calls based on political views.

Ah....... but I am what I claim to be..... a Conservative. 

And I never, EVER whine when someone identifies me as such.

I would venture to say that practically everyone on this forum says disparaging things about liberals.

Especially those who won't call terrorists "bad.'

Offline Dexter

« Reply #123 on: May 01, 2015, 01:02:04 am »
Ah....... but I am what I claim to be..... a Conservative. 

And I never, EVER whine when someone identifies me as such.

You're possibly the most hostile person on this forum and you're trying to make me sound like a jerk for calling you ignorant. Give me a break, seriously.
-Socrates

Offline musiclady

« Reply #124 on: May 01, 2015, 01:07:51 am »
You're possibly the most hostile person on this forum and you're trying to make me sound like a jerk for calling you ignorant. Give me a break, seriously.

Hostile only to liberals who don't think terrorists are 'bad.'   

Not to anyone else.   :patriot: