Author Topic: Fearing Racism Charges, Senate Republicans Cave on Lynch By Joel Gehrke  (Read 4881 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.nationalreview.com/node/417404/print

Fearing Racism Charges, Senate Republicans Cave on Lynch
By Joel Gehrke — April 23, 2015

When Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R., Ky.) postponed the vote to confirm Loretta Lynch as attorney general in order to break the filibuster of a human-trafficking bill, Senator Dick Durbin (D., Ill.) punished him by suggesting that the delay was motivated by racism.

“Loretta Lynch, the first African-American woman nominated to be attorney general, is asked to sit in the back of the bus when it comes to the Senate calendar,” Durbin said on the Senate floor in March. McConnell didn’t flinch during the human trafficking fight, which Republicans ultimately won, but such accusations stung.

In public, Republican senators and aides say that GOP support for Lynch’s confirmation reflects the belief that the Senate has a duty to confirm a president’s cabinet nominees if they have the requisite qualifications. In private, they admit that charges of racism such as the one leveled by Durbin discouraged them from blocking her nomination entirely. As a result, Obama paid no political price for issuing executive orders on immigration that he himself had previously admitted were unconstitutional.

“It appears to be all upside for him personally and for what he wants to accomplish,” Senator Mike Lee (R., Utah) tells National Review while discussing the orders. “There is significant downside to the American people and to our legal system and to our constitutional order.”

To discourage Obama, or future presidents, from issuing such sweeping executive orders, some senators wanted McConnell to refuse to allow a vote on the floor. That proposal failed due to fear of the political backlash that Democrats would instigate by accusing Republicans of racist motives.

“People are very nervous about Republicans not being willing to have a vote on the first black woman attorney general,” according to one GOP senator who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Republicans agree that Lynch is qualified for the job — “probably the most qualified nominee that’s come out of this White House,” concedes Senator Richard Burr (R., N.C.), who voted against her confirmation.

Nevertheless, Lynch’s exchanges with Lee (R., Utah) and Ted Cruz (R., Texas) during her confirmation hearings in January put her nomination in peril. Lynch refused to identify any hypothetical limit to Obama’s power to claim that the doctrine of prosecutorial discretion allowed him to stop enforcing certain laws; at one point, she declined to say if a future Republican president could unilaterally lower taxes by refusing to collect revenue beyond a certain tax rate.

“Senator, before I could render a legal opinion on the hypothetical as presented to me, I would want to know the entire scope of the action but also have the time to gather all of the legal precedent, the cases, congressional actions,” Lynch told Cruz.

Lee believes it should be an easy call. “In this particular position, we need to have someone who is willing to acknowledge some kind of limit to the power of the president to basically rewrite federal law,” he says.

The frustration with Lynch built in several wings of the conference. Multiple GOP sources pointed to Senator John McCain as a leading opponent of her nomination, an unexpected development given his support for the “Gang of Eight” immigration bill that conservative activists opposed in the last Congress.

The Arizona Republican had what he concedes was a “passionate” debate with Senator Orrin Hatch (R., Utah) during a conference lunch last month. Hatch — who “is very pro-deference” when it comes to the question of confirming a presidential nominee, according to a GOP Senate aide familiar with his thinking — argued that Republicans should defer to Obama because Lynch has a strong résumé. When McCain emphasized repeatedly that Lynch had refused to identify a constitutional limit on the president’s authority, Senator Jeff Flake (R., Ariz.) shifted the focus away from Hatch by saying that he would also vote for Lynch.

“I’ve felt very strongly, as you know, that if she was going to support what the president was doing unconstitutionally, then I couldn’t vote for her,” says McCain. “It’s my state that’s [got] a border with Mexico, it’s my state that has these thousands of children who show up, it’s my state that has ranchers who have people go across their borders, and I have been heavily committed to immigration reform.”

When McConnell delayed Lynch’s confirmation vote until the resolution of the human-trafficking debate, Republicans got a taste of the racism charges they’d hoped to avoid. Activists targeted the majority leader, in particular, for protests outside his office and over the phone.

“The perception is that her race and sex have an impact,” Representative Sheila Jackson Lee (D., Texas) told Roll Call. “Would anyone else be treated with a five-week delay, blaming it on a dispute of legislators over legislation?”

In the end, according to one GOP Senate aide, Lynch’s “race and sex” did “have an impact” on her nomination, which was confirmed when ten Republicans voted with the chamber’s 44 Democrats and two independents in her favor.

“If she were white, I think it would have been more difficult to find the five votes needed to be confirmed,” the aide says.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline xfreeper

lynch confirmed by gop senate. nuff said

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

“I’ve felt very strongly, as you know, that if she was going to support what the president was doing unconstitutionally, then I couldn’t vote for her,” says McCain. “It’s my state that’s [got] a border with Mexico, it’s my state that has these thousands of children who show up, it’s my state that has ranchers who have people go across their borders, and I have been heavily committed to immigration reform.”

Senator McCain is looking out for American workers. :patriot:

Offline Carling

Choose your battles wisely.  Lynch, at her very worst, can't be as bad as Holder was as AG.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Choose your battles wisely.  Lynch, at her very worst, can't be as bad as Holder was as AG.
Absolutely.  It takes time and effort to become that awful.

Offline xfreeper

[/i]

Yeah, it's not like an AG that doessn't believe in the constitution is anything to spend too much energy on

Yeah, it's not like an AG that doessn't believe in the constitution is anything to spend too much energy on

So yeah,  more Eric Holder for you?

Offline xfreeper

yes, that's right. that was the alternative

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
All previous Attorney General nominees have gone straight through to a conformation vote with the exception of Ed Meese.

All previous AG nominees have been confirmed, including Meese.

I read that the GOP "caved" on Lynch.

If every AG nominee before her has been confirmed, how can confirming her be considered "caving"?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

All previous Attorney General nominees have gone straight through to a conformation vote with the exception of Ed Meese.

All previous AG nominees have been confirmed, including Meese.

I read that the GOP "caved" on Lynch.

If every AG nominee before her has been confirmed, how can confirming her be considered "caving"?

I wish I could award you points for making us all better informed.  Thank you sir.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Re: Fearing Racism Charges, Senate Republicans Cave on Lynch By Joel Gehrke
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 12:17:19 pm »
I wish I could award you points for making us all better informed.  Thank you sir.

"An enlightened citizenry is indispensable for the proper functioning of a republic. Self-government is not possible unless the citizens are educated sufficiently to enable them to exercise oversight." - Thomas Jefferson
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline aligncare

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 12:39:33 pm »
You got any quotes to explain why those GOP senators, who take an oath to protect and defend the constitution, would vote to confirm an attorney general who, in her own words, seemed to support obama's illegal, unconstitutional, executive amnesty?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 12:42:42 pm by aligncare »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 01:01:44 pm »
You got any quotes to explain why those GOP senators, who take an oath to protect and defend the constitution, would vote to confirm an attorney general who, in her own words, seemed to support obama's illegal, unconstitutional, executive amnesty?

Probably the same reason why Democratic Senators , who having massive misgivings about Ed Meese and John Ashcroft, confirmed them both. Alberto Gonzales was a very polarizing AG, but he was "ours" so we had his back.

You can't deny the position to someone based on what you believe they may do, or because you don't agree with their politics, or whether or not that may believe that something that they have absolutely no control over may, or may not be illegal or constitutional. If you politicize the process to that degree, no nominee from either Party will ever get confirmed to anything.

While I fully believe that Obama's executive action on immigration is of questionable constitutionality and legality, that fact has not been established outside the Court of public opinion.

P.S. "Right wingers" (for lack of a better word) fully supported the now unconstitutional Federal DoMA, and instead of raising questions about the members of Congress who having taken that oath to defend the Constitution enacted clearly unconstitutional legislation into law, we attacked the Courts for doing its job and coming to the correct decision. 

Politics are funny that way.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 01:01:57 pm »
it's because all others were. Beginning to see the problem? How do we end up with such a screwed up, corrupt, incompetent government? One step at a time, each one rationalized as they go along.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 02:02:09 pm »
it's because all others were. Beginning to see the problem? How do we end up with such a screwed up, corrupt, incompetent government? One step at a time, each one rationalized as they go along.

That's the shortsighted interpretation of my post.

The reality is that her "seeming" to support a Presidential action whose legality or constitutionality have yet to be determined does not translate into her doing anything illegal or wrong.

To argue that someone nominated by a President to a cabinet post should be denied that post because they verbally support and/or defend the President's policies is not relational. To believe that a President, any President, would nominate anyone to their cabinet who would publicly oppose his or her policies is absolutely absurd.

I've read posts from conservatives saying that they refused to vote for Romney because he was a moderate and now again saying that they will vote for Hillary if a "RINO" gets the GOP nomination.

Well, thank them for Holder and Lynch, ValJar and later (if Hillary gets the conservative vote, or conservatives stay home) probably Greg Craig and others like him.

We reap what we sow.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 09:33:45 pm »
Okay, so a couple of years ago Obama said before a large audience of immigration supporters that he didn't have the constitutional authority to unilaterally change the nations immigration laws. Well, how interesting.

Then, suddenly, like pulling a rabbit out of a hat, he finds he does have the prosecutorial discretion to unilaterally grant amnesty to millions of illegals. And so he signed an EO to that effect. Great, wonderful, spectacular!

Then, in her confirmation hearing, Loretta Lynch agrees with Obama's opinion – his second opinion on the matter, not his first which everyone knew was correct to begin with.

And so the politically correct cowards in the senate, worried about the reelection optics of going against a black, female presidential nominee, put judgment aside and voted to confirm someone they knew was just as corrupt as Obama.

And just because the president gets to pick his attorney general some people here think it was proper for GOP senators to confirm an attorney general who doesn't understand the limits of the Constitution, or does, and doesn't care.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 09:55:12 pm »
Okay, so a couple of years ago Obama said before a large audience of immigration supporters that he didn't have the constitutional authority to unilaterally change the nations immigration laws. Well, how interesting.

Then, suddenly, like pulling a rabbit out of a hat, he finds he does have the prosecutorial discretion to unilaterally grant amnesty to millions of illegals. And so he signed an EO to that effect. Great, wonderful, spectacular!

Then, in her confirmation hearing, Loretta Lynch agrees with Obama's opinion – his second opinion on the matter, not his first which everyone knew was correct to begin with.

And so the politically correct cowards in the senate, worried about the reelection optics of going against a black, female presidential nominee, put judgment aside and voted to confirm someone they knew was just as corrupt as Obama.

And just because the president gets to pick his attorney general some people here think it was proper for GOP senators to confirm an attorney general who doesn't understand the limits of the Constitution, or does, and doesn't care.

Here's the skinny.

It's real popular these days to drop all blame of everything that's going on on Congress.

They're an easy target.

We have Lynch because we had Holder.

We had Holder because we have Obama.

We have Kerry and before that we had Hillary.

We have ValJar and Michelle.

We have all them, and all the others, because we have Obama in the WH.

We have Obama in the WH largely because "principled" voters did not want to cast a vote for either McCain or Romney, because they "may as well have been Democrats".

Now, "principled" voters are threatening to cast their vote for Hillary if the GOP nominee isn't sufficiently conservative for them.

Fine...

We all have that right.

What kills me is that after helping create the problem that is Obama/Holder/ValJar/Michelle/Clinton/Kerry/et al, some voters want to blame Congress for not doing anything they approve of about the problem.

If you yourself drive your car into a wall at 100 MPH, don't go putting the blame for your demise on the paramedics for not getting to the scene fast enough to save your life.

I think we an all agree that we don't want this crap to go on for another 4-8 years.

We can make that happen.

VOTE REPUBLICAN.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 09:56:12 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 12:15:24 am »
Here's the skinny.

It's real popular these days to drop all blame of everything that's going on on Congress.

They're an easy target.

We have Obama in the WH largely because "principled" voters did not want to cast a vote for either McCain or Romney, because they "may as well have been Democrats".

Now, "principled" voters are threatening to cast their vote for Hillary if the GOP nominee isn't sufficiently conservative for them.

Fine...

We all have that right.

What kills me is that after helping create the problem that is Obama/Holder/ValJar/Michelle/Clinton/Kerry/et al, some voters want to blame Congress for not doing anything they approve of about the problem.

If you yourself drive your car into a wall at 100 MPH, don't go putting the blame for your demise on the paramedics for not getting to the scene fast enough to save your life.

I think we an all agree that we don't want this crap to go on for another 4-8 years.

We can make that happen.

VOTE REPUBLICAN.

Luis, well done.   Conservatism isn't reflected by knee-jerk political suicide, but your logic most certainly is. 
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2015, 01:12:50 am »
Here's the skinny.

They're an easy target.

Fine...

We all have that right.

We can make that happen.

VOTE REPUBLICAN.

I don't even know where to start with your last two posts so I won't. I'm just too tired to even attempt to deal with such nonsense and rationale. Just the two most basic points: to support someone that falls outside every consideration I might have because someone else will never nominate anyone better is crazy. To vote for someone who is unacceptable because the alternative is even more so is equally nonsense. To say that because of such thinking we end up with the shit we do is just irrational. As for your supposed 'analogy', i have no idea how you get from A to X. Any how, I'm out. This is a waste of energy

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2015, 01:33:36 am »
I don't even know where to start with your last two posts so I won't. I'm just too tired to even attempt to deal with such nonsense and rationale. Just the two most basic points: to support someone that falls outside every consideration I might have because someone else will never nominate anyone better is crazy. To vote for someone who is unacceptable because the alternative is even more so is equally nonsense. To say that because of such thinking we end up with the shit we do is just irrational. As for your supposed 'analogy', i have no idea how you get from A to X. Any how, I'm out. This is a waste of energy

I understand where you're coming from, xfreeper.

After Obama/Holder these past six plus years, what the Republican controlled Senate is doing is tantamount to saying, "Thank you, sir.  May I have another?"

I would have said "Not only NO!  But HELL NO!"
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2015, 03:33:44 am »

You're free to support whoever you want to, that's all our prerogatives.

However, while you label my posts "nonsense" I will be willing to gamble any amount of money that you wish on the following bet: the next President of the U.S. will be either a Democrat or a Republican.

Some want to play make believe games and argue that what we have is a choice between the lesser of two evils, but even then we would be choosing the better of the two options available to us, and don't kid yourself, there are only two options available: you can vote for the GOP candidate, or you can help elect the Democrat.

Had John McCain or Mitt Romney won their elections we wouldn't be dealing with 90% of the crap we're dealing with now. That fact alone will dispel any notions of the vanishing differences between Republicans and Democrats.

What you call nonsense from me is actually a very clear picture in my mind that I need to live and make decisions based on the realities of the world that I live in and not on one that I wished I lived in.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 03:47:24 am by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2015, 03:36:26 am »
I understand where you're coming from, xfreeper.

After Obama/Holder these past six plus years, what the Republican controlled Senate is doing is tantamount to saying, "Thank you, sir.  May I have another?"

I would have said "Not only NO!  But HELL NO!"

So what is your option Alonso?

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2015, 05:56:23 am »
So what is your option Alonso?

Sorry, Luis, but after Eric Holder....and Obama's stripping of our military leadership, approving  ANYBODY else under this rogue administration is insane.

Just because a rejection has never happened, is no excuse.  We've got to stop this madness.

It's time to borrow a page from Harry Reid's playbook.  HOLD FIRM.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 06:33:17 am »
Sorry, Luis, but after Eric Holder....and Obama's stripping of our military leadership, approving  ANYBODY else under this rogue administration is insane.

Just because a rejection has never happened, is no excuse.  We've got to stop this madness.

It's time to borrow a page from Harry Reid's playbook.  HOLD FIRM.

So, after we do all the chest thumping jumping and hooting, what's the plan?

It's not like our approval or disapproval is going to stop Lynch from getting nominated.

Just because a rejection has never happened, is no excuse.

But it is a real clear indicator of what's going to happen.

Those who cannot learn from history and all that.

Live in the world we live in, not in the one you wished you lived in.

The problem isn't Holder or Lynch.

The problem is that Obama got elected, and now, we have so-called conservatives threatening to vote for Hillary of the GOP's nominee doesn't pass the purity test.

There's only one way to stop this madness.

Vote Republican 'cause ten more years of bitching in internet forums about how bad the Democrats are screwing everything up won't generate any different results than the last six have.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 06:37:13 am by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline raml

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2015, 06:41:50 am »
I do not support democrats or republicans anymore I am done I will write in who I think will make a good choice. Republicans should never have ok'd this bitch none of them are worth a damn.