Author Topic: Senate votes to block union election rule  (Read 881 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senate votes to block union election rule
« on: March 04, 2015, 06:49:51 pm »
http://thehill.com/regulation/labor/234585-senate-votes-to-block-union-election-rule

By Tim Devaney - 03/04/15 12:13 PM EST
The Senate voted Wednesday to reverse a controversial Obama administration labor policy that speeds up union elections.

Republicans employed the seldom-used Congressional Review Act to attack the labor policy they refer to as the “ambush election” rule. Under the statute, supporters need a simple majority of votes to formally disapprove of a regulation, as opposed to the 60 votes typically required to prevent a filibuster.

The measure passed by a tally of 53-46.

While the White House is expected to veto the GOP measure once is approved by the GOP-controlled House, the effort put Democrats on defense and signaled the Republicans’ intentions to battle the administration’s regulatory and labor agendas.

The National Labor Relations Board’s (NLRB) union election rule has been a top target. Republicans say the regulations could speed up union elections to as few as 11 days after a petition is filed, which would not give businesses enough time to prepare.

"Why the rush? Why the push for an ambush election?" said Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), one of the lawmakers who introduced the disapproval resolution.

But Democrats argue the rule would reduce unnecessary delay tactics employed by businesses to prevent workers from organizing. They accuse Republicans of trying to "rig" the rules against workers.

"By law, workers have a right to join a union," said Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.). "That's not an ambush. It's their right."

Now that the Senate has used the Congressional Review Act to disapprove of the labor rule, it will go to the House for approval before lawmakers can send it to President Obama's desk.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Senate votes to block union election rule
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 07:04:51 pm »
List of United States presidential vetoes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_presidential_vetoes

There have been a total of 2565 Presidential vetoes in the history of the Republic. And 110 have been overridden.

BTW Obama has issued just 3 vetoes, with none overridden. Reagan issued 39 vetoes, and 9 were overridden.

A healthy political diet should include ample servings of information. Tends to prevent having one's hair on fire on a daily basis.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 07:05:21 pm »
interesting. Obie will veto then what? they have the 60 votes to stop his veto? NO. is this more kabuki theater?

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 07:14:31 pm »
interesting. Obie will veto then what? they have the 60 votes to stop his veto? NO. is this more kabuki theater?
It is the reality of our system, like it or not. Real Conservatives@ profess to cherish the Constitution so much, yet when its provisions come into play they go crazy.

In actual fact, the 60 vote requirement in the Senate is NOT in the Constitution. The 2/3 to override a veto IS in the Constitution.

I go in with an assumption that people interested and posting on a political forum do know our system, Constitution, basics of law, etc.

These last few months have caused me to reevaluate that assumption.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 07:18:09 pm »
I go in with an assumption that people interested and posting on a political forum do know our system, Constitution, basics of law, etc.

That was definitely an overestimation.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline flowers

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 07:42:10 pm »
It is the reality of our system, like it or not. Real Conservatives@ profess to cherish the Constitution so much, yet when its provisions come into play they go crazy.

In actual fact, the 60 vote requirement in the Senate is NOT in the Constitution. The 2/3 to override a veto IS in the Constitution.

These last few months have caused me to reevaluate that assumption.
All I asked was is this just kabuki theater? 

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 08:04:36 pm »
All I asked was is this just kabuki theater?
Are you calling our Constitutional form of government in operation, "Kabuki Theater?"

I would say no, it is not kabuki theater. It is operating as planned and utilized since inception.

Obama is turning out to be a skilled politician. Maybe in the final two years of his tenure, the GOP will volunteer with bad optics, shoot each other, and lose the majority.

It doesn't have to be that way, but there does not appear to be an abundance of political skill, or of effective and attractive leaders.

Offline flowers

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 08:29:38 pm »

Obama is turning out to be a skilled politician. Maybe in the final two years of his tenure, the GOP will volunteer with bad optics, shoot each other, and lose the majority.

It doesn't have to be that way, but there does not appear to be an abundance of political skill, or of effective and attractive leaders.
I agree with all that. I was suspect of this because the repubs actually seem to be doing one thing that is going against the admin. That is why I asked if it was just kabuki theater.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 09:45:05 pm »
Before telegraph and railroads, news traveled as fast as men on horses could move, for the most part. The volume of information they carried had to be edited down to the most important or interesting.

Cities and towns elected representatives, following fairly ancient practices, since everybody needn't be taken away from the fields, shops and homes in order to govern.

News of current events evolved from town criers, to newspapers, to radio, television, and now 24/7 365 international news within hours of the events.

And the internet makes every person a potential journalist and political analyst. That so many have sought to make journalism and political analysis their hobbies, amuses me. I even let it entertain me.

Not all people's knowledge of each and every subject is equal. Yet information overload negatively impacts our own abilities, to access and evaluate the conclusions which are reached, day by day.

People feel they should be entitled to greater power, to have things turn out their way. In reality, they don't always turn out our way.

Possible reactions when things don't turn out our way: 1) Evaluate the process, and determine how to more effectively compete within it, 2) Say it is unfair, rigged, a conspiracy 3) Your suggestion.

Times now are mild, compared to the 1968 democrat convention in Chicago, Kent State in 1970, etc.

If you were a law & order Republican, back then you liked the way Nixon managed things. But today to be popular on conservative political forums, you simply call every Republican President since Hoover, save Reagan, a Rino.

That is the depth of "knowledge" and "skill" necessary to be loud and get heard. Fresno.com  here we come.