Author Topic: Tiger Woods shoots 82 in Phoenix Open for worst round as a pro  (Read 1095 times)

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Tiger Woods shoots 82 in Phoenix Open for worst round as a pro
« on: January 30, 2015, 08:55:18 pm »
Tiger Woods shoots 82 in Phoenix Open for worst round as a pro By Ryan Ballengee 50 minutes ago Devil Ball Golf   
Tiger Woods has never scored worse as a pro than he did on Friday at the Waste Management Phoenix Open.

Woods shot and 11-over 82 at TPC Scottsdale for his worst-ever round as a professional, worse than the 81 he shot in the third round of the 2002 Open Championship. It was raining on that day, too, at Muirfield, but gale-force winds didn't whip up at TPC Scottsdale.

His second round was like the first but with more lighter fluid. The same things plagued Woods on Friday: cluenessless with the driver and a complete mental block in his short game.

The first four holes weren't good, but a good-enough 1-over-par start. Then he took an unplayable lie after his drive at his fifth hole, the 14th after starting on the back nine, leading to a double-bogey 6. Woods followed with a duck hook into the water at the par-5 15th, the total opposite of where his drive went on Thursday. Triple bogey.

When Woods made a 20-foot putt to save par – par! – at the par-3 16th, the roar from the crowd made it seem like a birdie. It was almost as if they were trying to will him to something better.

Then Woods couldn't get up-and-down in three from 40 yards away at the drivable par-4 17th. Deflated, Woods came up short from the fairway with his approach at the 18th. Bogey, why not. The outgoing 8-over 44 tied his worst-ever score for nine holes as a professional, equaled in the third round of the 2013 Memorial Tournament.
At that point, what was Woods to do? He wasn't going to shoot a back-nine 26 to miraculously make the cut.

"Just keep fighting," Woods said after the round. "Just keep grinding over each and every shot."

He deserves credit for that, taking the turn and not walking directly toward his jet and flying home. He played the back nine, and it was equally ugly, even if the score was six shots better. At the par-3 fourth, Woods skulled a chip shot from back of the green into a bunker in front of it, leading to a double-bogey. Woods birdied the fifth, the hardest hole on the course for the second day in a row, then dropped shots with a bad bunker shot at the sixth and a three-jack at the seventh. Another birdie at No. 8 gave a glimmer of hope that he'd have a chance to avoid a historic low, but a limp effort at the ninth locked up history.

(more)
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-devil-ball-golf/tiger-woods-shoots-82-in-phoenix-open-for-worst-round-as-a-pro-195901637.html

Never thought I would ever see the day, that a mere mortal like me could beat Tiger Woods at golf. Divorce wrecks everything, on both sides. That is my experience, and apparently, Tiger's experience as well.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 08:55:41 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Re: Tiger Woods shoots 82 in Phoenix Open for worst round as a pro
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 09:02:40 pm »
He is but a remnant of his former self.  What is really shocking is the deterioration of his short game.  I think he has won his last tournament as a tour professional.  This is the biggest fall from greatness in golf since Seve Ballesteros. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 09:03:07 pm by massadvj »

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 09:25:29 pm »
Tiger Woods is the reason I even started to watch golf on TV.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 09:28:11 pm by flowers »

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 09:31:46 pm »
He is but a remnant of his former self.  What is really shocking is the deterioration of his short game.  I think he has won his last tournament as a tour professional.  This is the biggest fall from greatness in golf since Seve Ballesteros.

Well, yeah.

But the guy had a brain tumor, so, there is that. And now, Obama has a back injury that he can't seem to shake. Like all of us, they come and they go.

Life is like striking a matchstick. There is a flare up, a peak, and a denouement.

I fear Tiger is prematuerly in the latter of these stages.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 09:57:08 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 11:48:28 pm »
But the guy had a brain tumor, so, there is that.

Seve's game deteriorated long before he had the brain tumor.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 01:05:49 am by massadvj »

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 12:06:21 am »

Tiger just hasn't been the same since his ol' lady whacked him in the head with that golf club...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 12:13:29 am »
Tiger said his back isn't an issue anymore.  Whatever. Today's round was a thing of beauty, I tell you.   :laugh:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org