Author Topic: Cruz: GOP 'Will Get Walloped' Without Action on Obamacare  (Read 6388 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Cruz: GOP 'Will Get Walloped' Without Action on Obamacare
« on: January 12, 2015, 11:39:59 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=618142

Newsmax
Cruz: GOP 'Will Get Walloped' Without Action on Obamacare
Monday, January 12, 2015 06:00 PM

By: By PHILIP ELLIOTT

Sen. Ted Cruz says fellow Republicans "will get walloped" in 2016 if they do not deliver on the promises they made to voters last year.

The freshman Texas lawmaker said Monday that the 2014 elections, which gave Republicans an expanded majority in the House and control of the Senate, weren't an endorsement of the GOP. Instead, the results were a rejection of Washington.

Cruz, a tea party favorite considering a White House campaign in 2016, says his party must fulfill its promises, including scrapping President Barack Obama's health care law and blocking his immigration plans.

Cruz says it is unlikely Obama would go along with Republican plans. But he says the GOP should still try.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

Re: Cruz: GOP 'Will Get Walloped' Without Action on Obamacare
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 11:44:40 pm »
I think what he said is an understatement; rather if the GOP can't reverse course, we may not make it to 2016.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 12:01:11 am »
Ted Cruz is, as usual, right on target!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Carling

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 12:15:44 am »
I agree with Cruz.  Gut the mandates and let it collapse on its own.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 12:21:26 am »
I agree with Cruz.  Gut the mandates and let it collapse on its own.

Full repeal on the president's desk as promised!  NOTHING else will do!

If he vetoes it that's on him but promises like that MUST be kept!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Carling

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 12:58:35 am »
Full repeal on the president's desk as promised!  NOTHING else will do!

If he vetoes it that's on him but promises like that MUST be kept!

OK, so after the first five repeal votes are vetoed, then what?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:02:47 am by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 01:00:56 am »
OK, so after the first five repeals votes are vetoed, then what?

Then the PROMISE will have been fulfilled and they can begin to take it apart piece by piece!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 01:10:55 am »
If the SC guts the subsidies in King vs. Burwell, we will be at a crossroads.  Without the subsidies, several million Americans won't be able to afford the premiums required by Obamacare.  Thus, they will lose their insurance.

The pressure will be great for the Republicans to "fix" the subsidy issue by changing the language of the ACA.  Obama will demagogue like mad as he sees his signature achievement going down in flames. And the press will be all in on demanding the GOP alter the language.

The GOP must resist this. What they must have is a plan.  I don't get the impression they do. Even Cruz, I'm betting, has no idea what to propose if the above happens.  I surely don't know except that, something will have to be done that provides insurance coverage for those who lose the subsidies.  If the GOP has no plan and simply stands by and hopes Obamacare craters, we will suffer for it in 2016.

We need a plan and, so far, I haven't seen one. The decision will come down in June, and the GOP can get the public on its side if the sales effort begins NOW.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 01:53:44 am »
If the SC guts the subsidies in King vs. Burwell, we will be at a crossroads.  Without the subsidies, several million Americans won't be able to afford the premiums required by Obamacare.  Thus, they will lose their insurance.

The pressure will be great for the Republicans to "fix" the subsidy issue by changing the language of the ACA.  Obama will demagogue like mad as he sees his signature achievement going down in flames. And the press will be all in on demanding the GOP alter the language.

The GOP must resist this. What they must have is a plan.  I don't get the impression they do. Even Cruz, I'm betting, has no idea what to propose if the above happens.  I surely don't know except that, something will have to be done that provides insurance coverage for those who lose the subsidies.  If the GOP has no plan and simply stands by and hopes Obamacare craters, we will suffer for it in 2016.

We need a plan and, so far, I haven't seen one. The decision will come down in June, and the GOP can get the public on its side if the sales effort begins NOW.

I can't argue with anything here...just about every Repub candidate ran on Obamacare...they better DO something..what I have no idea..but voters will not forget in 2016
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline speekinout

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 01:56:14 am »

There are several GOP plans for what to do about 0bamacare. The problem is that they haven't agreed on which approach to take. Any of the plans are a significant improvement over 0bamacare, but it's not clear that the GOP can get a majority to coalesce around one plan.

They can't even agree on the general approach to fixing it. There are three possibilities. The first is to repeal 0bamacare, go back to what we had before, and then start talking about fixing our medical care system. That sounds good to some, but the problem is that so many of the ins. plans people had no longer exist, the ins. cos. can't resurrect individual plans, esp. for people with pre-existing conditions.
The second idea is to replace 0bamacare with a GOP designed plan. There are several of those plans floating around, and none of them are popular with enough GOPers, let alone some dims, to give one a good chance of passing Congress, and for sure not popular enough to override a veto. The last option is to just start changing 0bamacare one thing at a time. Many of those change would be popular enough to pass Congress, even override a veto. It would be gradual, but some changes could happen very soon.

I personally wish that the GOP could find some way to get a majority for the second approach, but I think the third is most likely to become law. There's no way I want the first approach, but there are some GOPers who want that very much. The leaders are going to have to settle on an approach very soon, and no matter which one they pick, they will be vilified. But that's what they signed up for.  :shrug:

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 02:17:57 am »
Well, the republicans had better get ready for a dirty dirty fight and they need to be ready to fight dirty.
The Marxists are very close to having us by the you know whats and they are not going to let go until they achieve every objective.
BO does not have any more elections, he will be the sacrificial lamb and they will implement their vision using any and all tools knowing no one is going to stop them.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 03:35:27 am »
Carling wrote above:
[[ OK, so after the first five repeal votes are vetoed, then what? ]]

Send up bills six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven.

How's that?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 03:42:10 am »
speekinout wrote above (in a well-thought-out post):
[[ The first is to repeal 0bamacare, go back to what we had before, and then start talking about fixing our medical care system. That sounds good to some, but the problem is that so many of the ins. plans people had no longer exist, the ins. cos. can't resurrect individual plans, esp. for people with pre-existing conditions. ]]

I don't claim to know much about the health insurance industry, but suppose we DID "go back" to the status quo before ObamaCare, with some additional legislation designed to indemnify insurers against the "extra losses" they would endure by accepting people with pre-existing conditions?

The cost of such a targeted program would probably be far less than "the whole" of ObamaCare.

I'm sure there are folks in this forum who have good knowledge of how insurance works, who can explain to me why this won't work...  ;)

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 03:59:29 am »
speekinout wrote above (in a well-thought-out post):
[[ The first is to repeal 0bamacare, go back to what we had before, and then start talking about fixing our medical care system. That sounds good to some, but the problem is that so many of the ins. plans people had no longer exist, the ins. cos. can't resurrect individual plans, esp. for people with pre-existing conditions. ]]

I don't claim to know much about the health insurance industry, but suppose we DID "go back" to the status quo before ObamaCare, with some additional legislation designed to indemnify insurers against the "extra losses" they would endure by accepting people with pre-existing conditions?

The cost of such a targeted program would probably be far less than "the whole" of ObamaCare.

I'm sure there are folks in this forum who have good knowledge of how insurance works, who can explain to me why this won't work...  ;)

There's no "going back" cuz there's nothing to go back to.  We have to take the industry and the environment as it is today. Pre-existing conditions covered, children up until 26, and some way to get insurance to all those who had insurance before the subsidies were cut.

And, whatever it is, has to be BETTER than what exchange plan holders have today.  That's a tall order. I have no idea how that would be done.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 04:32:35 am »
Then the PROMISE will have been fulfilled and they can begin to take it apart piece by piece!

Governing is not about symbolic gestures.

It's about getting things done.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 04:43:05 am »
Obamacare cannot be repealed by the GOP, nor should it be repealed by the GOP.

If the GOP somehow successfully manages to repeal it, then the idea and the theory of Obamacare will not only live, but gain some sort of mythic proportions, and going forward the left's talking points would be that the plan would have worked, and that it was working, but the GOP destroyed it. The narrative of the evil Republicans "sabotaging" the plan will serve to promote the idea of a single payer health care system to the voters in the future.

Obamacare needs to die an ignoble death bogged down under the weight of its own inefficiencies and inadequacies. It must leave such a bad taste in the mouth of the people that anyone who ever brings up the subject again will be shunned by the voters.

The ACA must be rejected by the States and by the people in general.

If not, we'll see it again.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Americanparatrooper

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 06:01:50 pm »
What is interesting is how the American people have been duped by both the RINO's and the Democrats who have stated over and over again how Obamacare cannot be defunded or repealed, but, did you know that both the RINO's and the Democrats have refused to fund federal legislation that allows anyone convicted of a felony to apply to have his or her firearm rights restored under federal law, but, because the RINO's and the Democrats have refused to fund the law, no one can apply for restoration of their firearm rights!

It is clearly interesting how these two (2) political groups (RINO's and Democrats) can successfully prevent Americans from restoring their firearm rights year after year, but, cannot find a way to stop funding obamacare or even preventing implementation of same.

Don't bother to figure it out, Americans are simply being played like a bunch of dupes, all the while, being told how hard they are working for the American people. The RINO's don't even talk about repealing Obamacare anymore, now it is repeal and REPLACE it!

I have absolutely no interest in seeing another RINO elected to office.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 06:03:29 pm »
Governing is not about symbolic gestures.

It's about getting things done.

Noting whatever symbolic about keeping promises! The GOPe needs to learn that or they will be history real soon!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 06:04:57 pm »
Obamacare cannot be repealed by the GOP, nor should it be repealed by the GOP.

If the GOP somehow successfully manages to repeal it, then the idea and the theory of Obamacare will not only live, but gain some sort of mythic proportions, and going forward the left's talking points would be that the plan would have worked, and that it was working, but the GOP destroyed it. The narrative of the evil Republicans "sabotaging" the plan will serve to promote the idea of a single payer health care system to the voters in the future.

Obamacare needs to die an ignoble death bogged down under the weight of its own inefficiencies and inadequacies. It must leave such a bad taste in the mouth of the people that anyone who ever brings up the subject again will be shunned by the voters.

The ACA must be rejected by the States and by the people in general.

If not, we'll see it again.

BS! 100% USDA grade A!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 06:10:40 pm »
Don't bother to figure it out, Americans are simply being played like a bunch of dupes...

Yes, you are correct...

Welcome to TBR.    :patriot:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 06:12:56 pm »

Nor have I!

Welcome to TBR!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 08:12:31 pm »
BS! 100% USDA grade A!

Do you add anything of any value to this forum?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2015, 08:14:49 pm »
Do you add anything of any value to this forum?

I guess that would depend on who you ask?

If you are asking me the answer is yes! I believe I do!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2015, 08:24:10 pm »
What is interesting is how the American people have been duped by both the RINO's and the Democrats who have stated over and over again how Obamacare cannot be defunded or repealed, but, did you know that both the RINO's and the Democrats have refused to fund federal legislation that allows anyone convicted of a felony to apply to have his or her firearm rights restored under federal law, but, because the RINO's and the Democrats have refused to fund the law, no one can apply for restoration of their firearm rights!

It is clearly interesting how these two (2) political groups (RINO's and Democrats) can successfully prevent Americans from restoring their firearm rights year after year, but, cannot find a way to stop funding obamacare or even preventing implementation of same.

Don't bother to figure it out, Americans are simply being played like a bunch of dupes, all the while, being told how hard they are working for the American people. The RINO's don't even talk about repealing Obamacare anymore, now it is repeal and REPLACE it!

Has it occurred to you perhaps voters don't want felons' firearm rights restored?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2015, 08:34:11 pm »
If you are asking me the answer is yes! I believe I do!

You definitely add value to the forum, Bigun.

Obviously... asking the question added none...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan