Author Topic: Power Up Your Brain: Eat This  (Read 870 times)

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Power Up Your Brain: Eat This
« on: January 11, 2015, 08:29:56 pm »
http://www.dgiwire.com/power-up-your-brain-eat-this/

Power Up Your Brain: Eat This
DECEMBER 31, 2014 BY DGIWIRE

(DGIwire)    What do berries, avocados, nuts, seeds and deep water fish like salmon have in common?  They are all natural foods delivered by Mother Nature and have been shown to be very healthy foods for our brains.

Strong scientific evidence exists that eating blueberries, blackberries, strawberries and other berry fruits has beneficial effects on the brain and may help prevent age-related memory loss and other changes.

“Research shows that eating berries can benefit the aging brain.  Berries contain high levels of antioxidants and phytocompounds that protect cells from damage.   Berries appear to change the way neurons in the brain communicate preventing inflammation in the brain that contributes to neurological damage improving motor control and cognition, according to Dian Griesel, Ph.D. and Tom Griesel, co-authors of TurboCharged: Accelerate Your Fat Burning Metabolism, Get Lean Fast and Leave Diet and Exercise Rules in the Dust .

Avocados also have benefits like berries in promoting brain health.  They contain monounsaturated fatty acids which contribute to healthy blood flow.  Healthy blood flow is a requirement for a healthy brain.  Hypertension has been identified as a risk factor for decline in cognitive abilities and avocados have been shown to lower blood pressure.

Nuts and seeds are good sources of vitamin E and higher levels blood levels of vitamin E have been linked to less cognitive decline as we get older. Add an ounce a day of raw or dry roasted and unsalted macadamia, walnuts, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts, almonds, pecans, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, flax seed, chia seed or nut butters.

Deep-water fish, such as salmon, are rich in omega-3 essential fatty acids, which are essential for brain function.  Wild fish is best and it is in plentiful supply.  Omega-3s also contain anti-inflammatory substances. Other oily fish that provide the benefits of omega-3s are sardines and herring.  A 4-8 ounce serving, two to three times a week is recommended.

Tom Griesel adds, “By including a variety of vegetables and other fresh natural foods you will rapidly experience many other health benefits along with radically improved body composition.”

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Power Up Your Brain: Eat This
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 08:40:25 pm »
One of my resolutions is to include more of these foods in my diet. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!