Author Topic: Weber, Backing Gohmert Over Boehner, Says ‘Retaliation’ Has Begun (Updated)  (Read 1333 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www3.blogs.rollcall.com/218/retaliation-weber-boehner-speaker-race/

Weber, Backing Gohmert Over Boehner, Says ‘Retaliation’ Has Begun (Updated)

By Matt Fuller   Posted at 11:54 a.m. Jan. 6

Updated 1:10 p.m. | The 114th Congress is barely underway, but Randy Weber, R-Texas, says he’s already paying a price for making known his intentions to vote against another term in leadership for Speaker John A. Boehner.

Weber, who is backing the long-shot speakership bid of fellow Texan Rep. Louie Gohmert over Boehner, has been removed as the lead sponsor of a nuclear energy bill expected to brought to the floor in the 114th.

Weber, Backing Gohmert Over Boehner, Says Retaliation Has Begun (Updated)

Weber says Boehner is punishing him.

During a small meeting Tuesday of about 10 members of the Texas delegation to discuss the speaker’s race,  Science, Space and Technology Chairman Lamar Smith, R-Texas, told Weber the speaker’s office had called and said Weber could not be the sponsor of that legislation, Weber told CQ Roll Call.

“You know, I’ve already been retaliated against. I’ve been taken off of a bill,” Weber said. ”The retaliation begins.”

The speaker’s office denied that Weber had been targeted.

“That is not true,” Boehner spokesman Michael Steel told CQ Roll Call when informed of the story. “The speaker did not make such a call.”

Steel also said no one from the speaker’s office had made such a call.

Technically, Weber wasn’t taken off as sponsor, as the bill hasn’t been filed yet. Leadership often gets to determine who sponsors which bills — and it’s not uncommon for the speaker to exert some influence over who is sponsoring legislation.

But the complaint makes clear that the mini-revolt against Boehner, even though it is expected to fail, could have real consequences for the members involved.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

Sour grapes.  You lost, and if you'd rather not end up finding yourself in political Siberia, you'd better start finding as much common ground as possible.

Remember this:  You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit - to paraphrase Ronald Reagan.  Mr. Weber appears to want the credit without having yet accomplished anything.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 07:10:52 pm by Oceander »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Sour grapes.  You lost, and if you'd rather not end up finding yourself in political Siberia, you'd better start finding as much common ground as possible.

Remember this:  You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit - to paraphrase Ronald Reagan.  Mr. Weber appears to want the credit without having yet accomplished anything.

BS! Standing up for principle is NEVER a wasted effort and they WILL be rewarded for it eventually!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

BS! Standing up for principle is NEVER a wasted effort and they WILL be rewarded for it eventually!

BS right back atcha.

The issue is whether one wants to be seen as standing on principle or wants to get something done.  There is a time and a place for standing on principle.  That time has now passed.  Principle must be dovetailed with pragmatic reality if the principle-stander wishes to see any of his (or her) principles make it into legislation.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
BS right back atcha.

The issue is whether one wants to be seen as standing on principle or wants to get something done.  There is a time and a place for standing on principle.  That time has now passed.  Principle must be dovetailed with pragmatic reality if the principle-stander wishes to see any of his (or her) principles make it into legislation.

The ONLY thing America wants done is for Obama To be stopped! Period! End of sentence!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

The ONLY thing America wants done is for Obama To be stopped! Period! End of sentence!

Really?  Then why didn't every single Democrat get voted out of office?  Considering how lock-step the DNC has been with Obama, voting the DNC out of office would have been tantamount to stopping Obama.

Offline GourmetDan

The 114th Congress is barely underway, but Randy Weber, R-Texas, says he’s already paying a price for making known his intentions to vote against another term in leadership for Speaker John A. Boehner.

Good for him for speaking up.  The only way to beat these people is to bring their behaviors out into the open...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Really?  Then why didn't every single Democrat get voted out of office?  Considering how lock-step the DNC has been with Obama, voting the DNC out of office would have been tantamount to stopping Obama.

Why didn't the sun come up in the West? Why isn't water dry?

What happened last November is as close to voting every democrat out as we are ever likely to come. NOw we need to get rid of the LIBERAL republicans in their next primary and that is EXACTLY what I intend to do!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

Why didn't the sun come up in the West? Why isn't water dry?

What happened last November is as close to voting every democrat out as we are ever likely to come. NOw we need to get rid of the LIBERAL republicans in their next primary and that is EXACTLY what I intend to do!

Why didn't it happen?  Very simple:  because there are still a very large number of Americans who prefer what the democrat party has on offer over what the republicans have on offer.  Engaging in circular firing squad exercises is not very conducive to persuading any of those people to change their minds and support any sort of republican, moderate or hard right.