Author Topic: Alaska on TV  (Read 1052 times)

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Alaska on TV
« on: January 04, 2015, 11:08:13 pm »
In the last two years, and especially last year I have noticed an explosion of television shows about Alaska. I do not have the current exact count, but I know there are at least more than a dozen shows with an Alaskan theme, and I expect the count would be closer to two dozen.

This is the current list I could find. It is incomplete. "Buying Alaska" and "Edge of Alaska" are not listed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Television_shows_set_in_Alaska

I am just curious what the facination is with Alaska. And most of the shows are so mundane. The show comes on and there is a guy and his wife eating breakfast. And they will each give their own personal soliloquy about how much they love Alaska and there life there. And then the guy will say, "Well, I guess I'll go fix the outhouse/roof/fence today." And then the whole show will be filming this guy repairing his freakin' outhouse. Or maybe he will go hunting or fishing one day, and that will be the whole show.

And following the Alaska show, will be a show about "living in the bush", a.k.a. living as a homeless person.

I, mean, OK, I guess, but it just leaves me scratching my head? Who is watching this stuff?

Why not Life in Rhode Island? Why not Life in Arizona? or Life in Ohio? (well, they do have that Amish show)

All I am saying is that whomever the PR guy is for the State of Alaska, that guy should get a gold medal.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 11:14:12 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Alaska on TV
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 11:30:30 pm »
My husband watches this stuff.....lol

If I want to watch tv I watch in my office where I CONTROL the remote...lol
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 11:40:45 pm »
Well, Alaska's a lot colder and more sparse than most other states, so it might be of marginal interest to those who live in warmer climates. That being said, I think it's an issue of "we have 24 hours of programming to fill in a day, not enough programs to fill it, and we don't dare sign off and lose channel space, so we're just going to create a bunch of derivative crap to fill airtime."

About the only state I know of that draws this kind of comparable attention is Louisiana.

All I am saying is that whomever the PR guy is for the State of Alaska, that guy should get a gold medal.

I suspect the lady above had something to do with it, as well.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 12:13:50 am »
My husband watches this stuff.....lol

If I want to watch tv I watch in my office where I CONTROL the remote...lol

Well Myst, I new one which is also not on the list, "Alaska off Road". It comes on tonight so, let him know.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 12:21:59 am »

Well Myst, I new one which is also not on the list, "Alaska off Road". It comes on tonight so, let him know.

LOL..he'll find it..he has his dvr set for one of them tonight..lol
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 12:34:31 am »
Well, Alaska's a lot colder and more sparse than most other states, so it might be of marginal interest to those who live in warmer climates. That being said, I think it's an issue of "we have 24 hours of programming to fill in a day, not enough programs to fill it, and we don't dare sign off and lose channel space, so we're just going to create a bunch of derivative crap to fill airtime."

The funniest accidentally funny show on TV the the vein of what you mentioned, is that "Finding Bigfoot" show.

I watched it a couple of times and was laughing my ass off. This show is in something like season 4 or 5, and they have never ever, ever, never, found anything close to a bigfoot. Who in their right mind could watch that show?

GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD, THEY'RE NEVER GOING TO FIND A BIGFOOT PEOPLE. IT IS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!

You can take the show to season 125 and every show will be the same as the last one, nothing. That is so funny.

And the characters are equally funny. There is a guy named Bobo, who calls himself a "Squach" expert. Well, except he has never filmed one, or found a body of one, or bones, or anything else. But he is still the "squach" expert. And you have to say "squach", not bigfoot like the civilians, because "squach" means that you really know what's going on. (hilarious)

Then there is a Billy Mays style shill guy who freaks completely out everytime he hears a deer or a racoon. He breathlessly exclaims, Did you hear that! DID YOU HEAR THAT! There is something moving out in the woods! Oh my GOD! This could be it!! This could be it!! [break to commercial]

Then they find out it is a deer or a squrirrel which of course is "duh". But does that effect them or deter them? No, not at all. They all have a conference at the end of the show and declare, with a serious face, "Well, if there are deer out here, there must be bigfoots (bigfeet?, bigfeets?). Because that means there is food for them to eat. We'll get him next time. [end of show] hahaha lol

Like you said, I guess they have to fill time and will throw anything on TV, no matter how silly it is.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 01:49:43 am by 240B »