Author Topic: A Story for Christmas  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
A Story for Christmas
« on: December 23, 2014, 08:59:06 pm »
I've had this story in my personal archives for years; I go back to it once in a while when I need the idea that there is good in people from all places reinforced.

Reading it makes me feel better somehow.

Even hopeful.

It's not a Christmas story, but it is a story for Christmas, when good will to all should be the universal feeling.

Gift of the Masai
    June 5, 2002

Tony BlankleyTony Blankley is a columnist for The Washington Times. His column appears on Wednesdays.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 09:14:29 pm by Cyber Liberty »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: A Story for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 09:12:02 pm »
Worth reading again....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 01:02:30 pm »
A good read.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 03:14:33 pm »
Worth reading again....

I can't see any story or even a link.  Whassamatter?

But related is this:

Scholars verify the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, Light of the World.

https://y-jesus.com/wwrj/6-jesus-rise-dead/#.Xf7PYG5Fw2x
The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "It is beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.
"You have the most agile mind of anyone I know." -
Avice Marie Griffin, PhD, Clinical Psychologist

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 03:16:07 pm »
The enemy of my enemy is not necessarily my friend. It may just be that I have two enemies.

Any good man has a lot more enemies than two.  You are a good man, I'm fairly certain.

Don't worry about what others think of you, only what God thinks of you.
The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "It is beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 08:45:33 pm »
Dear Santa Wish

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2019, 12:28:17 am »
Before my times here, but I found this: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2002/jun/5/20020605-030940-6885r/

Gift of the Masai

Please call the U.S. State Department (Bureau of African Affairs, Chief of Bureau Walter H. Kansteiner 202-647-7371) and tell him not to sell the 14 Masai cows. Let me explain.

Earlier this week the New York Times reported that a tiny village of Masai tribesmen, located in the remoteness of the Uganda/Tanzania/Kenya border areas, had only recently heard of the terrorist attack of September 11. At first they couldn't understand how people could die jumping from a building (they live in huts a man cannot even stand up in).

Once the horror was described to them, they quickly collected 14 of their finest cows as a gift of condolence to the American people. Our man in Nairobi, a Mr. William Brancick deputy chief of mission at the U.S. Embassy drove out to the village to receive the gift. According to the Times report, Mr. Brancick received the cows, but explained to the tribesmen that transporting the cows would be difficult, so he would probably sell them, buy some local jewelry which he would send back to America. Mr. Brancick's act of ingratitude and insensitivity (on our behalf) must not be permitted to stand.

Not only are 14 prize cows a major asset for the Masai tribesmen, the cow is a sacred object to them. The three most cherished gifts a Masai can offer are a child, a plot of land and a cow. The life of the Masai revolves around their cattle. Their religion teaches that God entrusted His cattle to the Masai. As a tribesman explained: "The cow is almost the center of life for us. It is sacred. It's more than property. You give it a name. You talk to it. You perform rituals with it. It's a sacred food … ."

But our Mr. Brancick saw fit to plan to sell them because "transporting them would be difficult." If we can get 80,000 men and machines into Afghanistan, we can get 14 cows out of Kenya.

The Masai, a famously brave and intelligent warrior tribe, not only gave us this precious gift, but the village's chief warrior a man named Oltetia said: "That guy [bin Laden] surely we would have to kill him. We as the Masai have ways to kill, just using a spear and bows and arrows. He is a strong man so we couldn't do it directly. We would surround him in the bush."

Although in all our history we have never done anything for these Masai, in all the world they are the only people (to my knowledge) to offer a sacred gift of condolence to us after the September Terror. And, without any offers of foreign aid or trade credits, their first thought was to get the man who did this terrible thing to us. But our Mr. Brancick thinks it would be too much bother to accept the sacred gift: Why not just cash them out, buy some local trinkets and mail them to a government warehouse in West Virginia where every 30 years the Inspector General will see how many of them have been stolen?

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2019, 12:41:04 am »
@Cyber Liberty, Just wanted to say...  you are an internet archaeologist.   :beer:
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2019, 01:25:51 am »

Anyone familiar with Peanuts knows how Linus feels about his blanket.  His blanket is his security.  Linus takes it with him everywhere.  He never lets go of it.  Never.

See the clip again, and this time watch what Linus does with his security blanket.

(And the angel said, "Fear not")
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2019, 01:52:30 am »
@Cyber Liberty, Just wanted to say...  you are an internet archaeologist.   :beer:

I get lucky sometimes... :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2019, 02:19:36 am »
See the clip again, and this time watch what Linus does with his security blanket.
(And the angel said, "Fear not")
:yowsa:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org