Author Topic: House Set to Rebuke Obama on Immigration  (Read 1971 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House Set to Rebuke Obama on Immigration
« on: December 04, 2014, 03:02:42 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=610973

Newsmax
House Set to Rebuke Obama on Immigration
Thursday, December 4, 2014 06:39 AM

By: By ERICA WERNER

House Republicans are prepared to rebuke President Barack Obama over immigration, with a vote on legislation that declares his recent executive actions "null and void and without legal effect."

But even supporters acknowledge that the bill by Rep. Ted Yoho, R-Fla., is mostly meant to send a message, since it stands little chance in the Senate — which remains under Democratic control until January — and would face certain veto by Obama.

Instead, its passage Thursday would set the stage for the real showdown over legislation to keep the government running past Dec. 11, when a current funding measure expires. Conservatives are demanding language in the spending bill that would block Obama's move to defer deportations and grant work permits to more than 4 million immigrants here illegally.

Republican leaders fear such spending-bill language could court an Obama veto and even a government shutdown — something they're determined to avoid after their resounding midterm election victories last month left them with a desire to show voters they can govern responsibly.

The Yoho bill is part of House GOP leadership's two-part strategy to appease conservative immigration hardliners incensed about Obama's moves on immigration. The hope was that after registering their disapproval of Obama's executive actions with a vote on Yoho's bill — which says Obama is acting "without any constitutional or statutory basis" — Republicans would move on next week to vote on legislation to keep most of the government running for a year, with a shorter time frame for the Homeland Security Department, which oversees immigration.

But the approach doesn't go far enough for some conservatives who are insisting on specific spending-bill language to strip any money for Obama's move.

"We aren't, with our vote, going to give him one dime to execute his illegal action, and we believe the American people are going to stand with us," said Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn.

Losing conservative support, GOP leaders may have to turn to Democrats to help pass the spending bill. They are working to make some changes in response to conservative concerns, but the outcome is uncertain.

Meanwhile, the Yoho bill would put the House on record against Obama. But conservative Republicans appeared notably indifferent to it.

"What am I going to do, vote against it?" said Rep. Mick Mulvaney, R-S.C. "It's a good bill. I think it has nothing to do with the larger discussion."

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: House Set to Rebuke Obama on Immigration
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 03:03:53 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 03:26:15 pm »
...show voters they can govern responsibly.

Keep your eyes & ears open for that pathetic meme.  I've seen and heard it all over the place of late, it is the 2014 version of "reach across the aisle."  Simply asinine and pathetic.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 03:55:21 pm »
Losing conservative support, GOP leaders may have to turn to Democrats to help pass the spending bill. They are working to make some changes in response to conservative concerns, but the outcome is uncertain.

I see where Ted Cruz has been sticking his nose in the House's business again; this dumb move has his fingerprints all over it.

Boehner should get Democrat support and pass the spending bill with short-term funding for DHS. Under no circumstances should he give Obama an excuse to veto the bill and turn it around on Republicans.

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 04:36:23 pm »
Strongly worded letter to follow!

I'm so tired of this s&*% that I could just  :#@$%:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 04:37:56 pm »

I see where Ted Cruz has been sticking his nose in the House's business again; this dumb move has his fingerprints all over it.

Boehner should get Democrat support and pass the spending bill with short-term funding for DHS. Under no circumstances should he give Obama an excuse to veto the bill and turn it around on Republicans.

Go piss up a rope Sink!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 04:46:05 pm »
Go piss up a rope Sink!

Nice. It's crap like this that cause people to leave this place.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Relic

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 05:06:42 pm »
Nice. It's crap like this that cause people to leave this place.

I don't know who comes and goes to this forum. But, you're right that a direct insult with no substance isn't appropriate.

As for myself, the political class is winning with me. I've become tired of being disappointed, and watching them do self-serving stupid things, over, and over and over.

If this Republican Congress cedes power to Obama and whines about being unable to take action, that will tell me all I need to know. I'll live my life the best I can, and watch as the corrupt political class feeds on the carcass that was America. I will take some slight pleasure in listening to my stupid "fellow Americans" cry about what is happening to them.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 05:20:54 pm »
I don't know who comes and goes to this forum. But, you're right that a direct insult with no substance isn't appropriate.

As for myself, the political class is winning with me. I've become tired of being disappointed, and watching them do self-serving stupid things, over, and over and over.

If this Republican Congress cedes power to Obama and whines about being unable to take action, that will tell me all I need to know. I'll live my life the best I can, and watch as the corrupt political class feeds on the carcass that was America. I will take some slight pleasure in listening to my stupid "fellow Americans" cry about what is happening to them.

You want substance! Ok! Here's some substance!

Ted Cruz is displaying something rarely seen in Washington these days! It's called  L E A D E R S H I P ! ! !

I wish we had 59 more just like him in the Senate!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 05:43:02 pm »

Ted Cruz is displaying something rarely seen in Washington these days! It's called  L E A D E R S H I P ! ! !

So, you think that making some symbolic gesture with zero chance of having any impact is indicative of Cruz possessing leadership qualities?

I just emailed Julianne Hough and asked her to have a tryst with me. Does that make me a leader stud or a fool?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 05:57:59 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 05:46:12 pm »

:hands: :hands: :hands:

Offline flowers

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 05:48:54 pm »
Strongly worded letter to follow!

I'm so tired of this s&*% that I could just  :#@$%:
You are not alone.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 05:53:54 pm »
So, you think that making some symbolic gesture with zero chance of having any impact is indicative of Cruz possessing leadership qualities?

I just emailed Julianne Hough and asked her to have a tryst with me. Does that make me a leader, or a fool?

Luis it really does help if you make yourself aware of the entire context of the thread before opening your mouth and making yourself look silly!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 05:57:33 pm »
Luis it really does help if you make yourself aware of the entire context of the thread before opening your mouth and making yourself look silly!

You assume that I did not make myself aware of the content of the entire thread before posting, then you accuse me of making myself look silly?

So... in what content that I missed does the "go piss up a rope" comment gain either substance or intelligence?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 05:59:01 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 06:01:50 pm »
You assume that I did not make myself aware of the content of the entire thread before posting, then you accuse me of making myself look silly?

So... in what content that I missed does the "go piss up a rope" comment gain either substance or intelligence?

The continual ATTACKS on Ted Cruz since BEFORE he became a U.S. Senator by the poster I responded to gives it both!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 06:30:25 pm »
The continual ATTACKS on Ted Cruz since BEFORE he became a U.S. Senator by the poster I responded to gives it both!

Ted Cruz is a public figure, and a politician.

If I call Ted Cruz a moron, and he tells me to go piss up a rope, that makes him a horrible politician.

If I call Ted Cruz a moron, and you take offense to it, that makes YOU a moron.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 06:30:45 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 07:04:12 pm »
Cruz will NOT be the eventual nominee, and if by some slim chance he is, he will not be elected.

He is the equivalent to George McGovern. An honorable man of good intentions, but lacking a widely popular agenda, AND the ability to sell it. Leadership is convincing others of your agenda. That takes more than fiery speeches.

Just like McGovern, who wanted the Vietnam over when a majority of Americans wanted to continue it and win.

Cruz is willing to shut down government, when a majority of Americans want it to continue running, and consider shutting it down to be a political stunt.

On the subject of immigration, a majority have favored making a great many of the illegals, possess a more regular status. Like legal resident, but not citizen.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2014, 07:19:19 pm »
Cruz will NOT be the eventual nominee, and if by some slim chance he is, he will not be elected.

He is the equivalent to George McGovern. An honorable man of good intentions, but lacking a widely popular agenda, AND the ability to sell it. Leadership is convincing others of your agenda. That takes more than fiery speeches.

Just like McGovern, who wanted the Vietnam over when a majority of Americans wanted to continue it and win.

Cruz is willing to shut down government, when a majority of Americans want it to continue running, and consider shutting it down to be a political stunt.

On the subject of immigration, a majority have favored making a great many of the illegals, possess a more regular status. Like legal resident, but not citizen.

Seventeen States just sued Obama over his immigration EO.

Let the States keep Barry busy on the immigration and Obamacare front while Congress flanks him on the pipeline, taxes and debt reduction (among others).

Fight smart.

Offline Relic

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 07:27:00 pm »
I watched Mike and Mike this morning on ESPN2 because they were actually talking sports, not domestic abuse, or drugs or some other criminal activity.

Brian Urlacher was a guest host, and he said something about how the Bears played defense that seems to fit. He said: "It didn't matter if he called the wrong defense. Because as long as they were all wrong, they were all right."

Even if the defense called didn't fit for the play the offense ran, as long as everyone did their job, and they were on the same page, it was ok.

We are not on the same page, here, or in Washington D.C.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 08:16:17 pm »
"Sticks and Stones.." etc. Another pitiful gesture [you realists are real fond of critiquing gestures] by the testicularly challenged GOP leadership. Do you really think the voters wiped out sitting Dims, but not the GOP so the GOP could get a majority to work with the Dims, or worse still, do nothing? Come 2016, if they keep this up, the symbol of the GOP will not be the Elephant, but the Passenger Pigeon.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 08:18:46 pm »

I agree with you.

But the fact is: we don't have 59 more like him - maybe 5, but that's it.

To Democrats (modern Democrats, anyway), politics is no longer "the art of the possible" - it is a death sport, and in such a game, they are determined to be the hunters, not the hunted.

Most Republicans, especially those ensconced in the Senate don't get it. In spite of all evidence to the contrary, they still think they can negotiate with Democrats in good faith and achieve some kind of compromise.

They (still) think that "compromise" means getting some of what you want in exchange for giving the other party some of what they want.

Democrats understand things a little differently these days. They see "compromise" as something to be demanded of the other party, in exchange for empty promises - lies, actually - about their future intentions.

This includes the implicit promise to stop calling Republicans vile names and accusing them of perfidy, in exchange for their essential surrender.   

I expect that Ted Cruz knows all of this, but has not yet figured out how to deal with it effectively.

The answer is not to play the game, because Democrats (the Senate and the executive branch) make the rules, Democrats (large segments of the judiciary) are the umpires, and Democrats (the media) determine what the public sees and understands about what's happening in the game.

In short: let the states sue Obama's ass off, and plan a positive agenda to do all of the things that Obama and Harry Reid have refused to let happen during the past 6 years. Keystone. Energy production. Tax reform. Border security. All of it. Put a fresh bill on Obama's desk every damned day and dare him to veto them all, and then let him explain why he's frustrating the will of the people who voted for Congress to do exactly those things.

Stop playing their game and start playing ours.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 08:20:33 pm »

I agree with you.

To Democrats (modern Democrats, anyway), politics is no longer "the art of the possible" - it is a death sport, and in such a game, they are determined to be the hunters, not the hunted.

Most Republicans, especially those ensconced in the Senate don't get it. In spite of all evidence to the contrary, they still think they can negotiate with Democrats in good faith and achieve some kind of compromise.

They (still) think that "compromise" means getting some of what you want in exchange for giving the other party some of what they want.

Democrats understand things a little differently these days. They see "compromise" as something to be demanded of the other party, in exchange for empty promises - lies, actually - about their future intentions.

This includes the implicit promise to stop calling Republicans vile names and accusing them of perfidy, in exchange for their essential surrender.   

I expect that Ted Cruz knows all of this, but has not yet figured out how to deal with it effectively.

The answer is not to play the game, because Democrats (the Senate and the executive branch) make the rules, Democrats (large segments of the judiciary) are the umpires, and Democrats (the media) determine what the public sees and understands about what's happening in the game.

In short: let the states sue Obama's ass off, and plan a positive agenda to do all of the things that Obama and Harry Reid have refused to let happen during the past 6 years. Keystone. Energy production. Tax reform. Border security. All of it. Put a fresh bill on Obama's desk every damned day and dare him to veto them all, and then let him explain why he's frustrating the will of the people who voted for Congress to do exactly those things.

Yep.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2014, 09:11:46 pm »

I agree with you.

I think inside the beltway Republicans understand the game better than you think they do! They just cannot stomach the idea of losing their place in the social strata there and are unwilling to buck their masters on K street!

Ted Cruz may just be the man to change all that!

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned. When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him...for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."

Mark Twain

« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 09:21:42 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2014, 10:31:07 pm »
I think inside the beltway Republicans understand the game better than you think they do! They just cannot stomach the idea of losing their place in the social strata there and are unwilling to buck their masters on K street!

Ted Cruz may just be the man to change all that!

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned. When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him...for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."

Mark Twain

And yet another political savior arises from the conservative ranks. One who will certainly fall from the pedestal that he's been elevated to, and when he does (as it is inivitable that he will) and drops back down to the level where mere mortal politicians reside, fault will not be assigned to those who raised him to that styrofoam and Scotch tape ideological pedestal, but rather on everyone of the rest of us who failed to see his glorious splendor.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2014, 12:19:15 am »
And yet another political savior arises from the conservative ranks. One who will certainly fall from the pedestal that he's been elevated to, and when he does (as it is inivitable that he will) and drops back down to the level where mere mortal politicians reside, fault will not be assigned to those who raised him to that styrofoam and Scotch tape ideological pedestal, but rather on everyone of the rest of us who failed to see his glorious splendor.

Perhaps. Perhaps not!

We WILL see!

- J. R. R. Tolkien