Author Topic: Vietnam Veterans Rally to Help Disabled Comrade  (Read 582 times)

rangerrebew

Vietnam Veterans Rally to Help Disabled Comrade
« on: November 30, 2014, 05:53:14 pm »
Vietnam Veterans Rally to Help Disabled Comrade

Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier | Nov 29, 2014 | by Pat Kinney

WATERLOO, Iowa -- Walter Sanders went into the Navy in 1968 expecting he wouldn't be sent to Vietnam. He was sent there anyway.

Now the veteran and his wife of 43 years, Karen, are encountering new battles they didn't bargain for: Walter's disability and other health issues make simply getting in and out of the shower a challenge.

Sanders is getting help from two fellow Vietnam veterans in a project supported by Wells Fargo Bank.

Building contractor Rick Reuter and Larry Walters of the Cedar Falls Veterans of Foreign Wars, Wells Fargo and an army of contractors and volunteers are expanding the bathroom in the Sanders home in the City View neighborhood on Waterloo's east side to accommodate his disabilities.

It's part of an ongoing Wells Fargo program to help veterans and includes a $10,000 grant.

"You don't know what a blessing this is. It's a blessing. I appreciate all of you. Thank you, thank you, thank you!" said Walter Sanders, who along with Karen could hardly contain their relief.

"God works through people," he said.

Sanders was a Navy storekeeper in Vietnam at Camp Tien Sha near Da Nang. Part of his duties, for which he volunteered, involved moving supplies to frontline troops near Vietnam's demilitarized zone during his tour of duty in 1968. He was exposed to the toxic defoliant Agent Orange.

Over the past 10 years he has suffered prostate cancer, a stroke, diabetes and multiple brain tumors. He is now considered cancer free but is still being seen at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Iowa City. He has mobility and balance issues and uses a cane and a wheelchair. He requires substantial care from Karen.

Lacking the resources for improvements to their home to accommodate Walter's disability, they went to the Black Hawk County Veteran Affairs Commission. Staff there put them in touch with Larry Walters, a former commission member, who contacted Wells Fargo, which provided financing for materials.

"We utilized what we call our Team Member Volunteer Program," said Raquel Oberheu, a business banking associate with Wells Fargo in downtown Cedar Falls. Staff chose to do a "Boots" project -- as in "boots on the ground" -- to rehabilitate a home for a local military family.

"This program is built on the principals of getting our employees out in the community to help our veterans," Oberheu said. "We are thankful for all our partners in this project who have been supportive," including veterans and Home Depot.

"We were fortunate to be at the Veteran Affairs office on the right day," Karen Walters said. Additionally, Wells Fargo volunteers helped out re-staining and preserving a wheelchair ramp at the Sanders' residence and helped with leaf removal.

"We did 37 of the biggest bags of leaves," Oberheu said. Volunteers will also do painting and finishing work in the bathroom. The outdoor work was finished before the season's first snowfall.

The application process began months ago. Quotes were sought and the grant was recently approved. "Our starting date was Oct. 21, and you know how the weather's been since Oct. 21," Oberheu said.

Reuter is serving as general contractor, lining up additional donations of labor and materials. He was heavily involved in a project several years ago to remodel the home of the parents of quadriplegic Iraq war veteran Ian Ralston, wounded by an improvised explosive device.

Reuter and Walters said it has been easier to gain community support for wounded veterans of recent conflicts. Many Vietnam veterans have said they were ignored or treated with contempt when they returned from that controversial war, and with indifference in later years as they encountered service-related maladies as they aged.

"Not to cry about it, but Vietnam, it was a senseless war," Walter Sanders said.

"I snuck home when I got out. But that's changing," Reuter said. He noted the number of Vietnam veterans who wear identifying caps and apparel at recognition events. "Older veterans like the three of us, if you'd asked me a few years ago, I'd have said these projects were almost impossible until you get resources together like Wells Fargo. Originally they were tough."

"Public opinion has changed," Walter said.

"Most companies are pretty good about donating materials and equipment; at least, if nothing else they'll give it to us at cost," Reuter said.

The Sanderses have four living grown children, one deceased and six grandchildren. One, Leona Sanders Brown, is a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y., and a lieutenant colonel in the Army.

The service project also provided a connection between fellow Vietnam veterans. Walters and Sanders realized they served at the same time in about the same place. Sanders delivered supplies to place called Wonder Beach where Walters was stationed.

"Hell, you probably brought me supplies, man!" Walters said to Sanders. "The (Navy) Seabees had a frozen-food (storage) thing up there. We used to steal steaks from them all the time. You brought me food. I would have liked more beer, though."

"That beer we took was under lock and key, so we didn't get it!" Sanders replied.

Their fellow 'Nam vets roared with laughter.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/11/29/vietnam-veterans-rally-to-help-disabled-comrade.html?comp=700001075741&rank=5
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 05:53:54 pm by rangerrebew »