Author Topic: The Repository  (Read 53420 times)

Online Lando Lincoln

Re: The Repository
« Reply #175 on: February 25, 2016, 02:26:38 pm »
Fact checked below.  It's from our buds at snopes, and full of their liberal consternation..... but seems pretty accurate.

http://www.snopes.com/new-american-way-life/

Thank you!!
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #176 on: March 08, 2016, 12:50:30 pm »
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #177 on: March 08, 2016, 12:58:45 pm »
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #179 on: April 23, 2016, 11:45:18 am »
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #180 on: April 23, 2016, 11:58:48 am »
John Steinbeck

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #181 on: April 29, 2016, 02:47:56 am »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #182 on: April 29, 2016, 03:11:19 am »
The Suppository? Interesting title for a thread...

Online Lando Lincoln

John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #184 on: August 05, 2016, 07:48:32 pm »
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 05:51:07 pm by Lando Lincoln »
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #185 on: August 10, 2016, 05:38:06 pm »
John Steinbeck

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #186 on: May 07, 2020, 01:58:05 am »
"The general misconception is that any statute passed by legislators bearing the appearance of law constitutes the law of the land. The U.S. Constitution is the supreme law of the land, and any statute, to be valid, must be In agreement. It is impossible for both the Constitution and a law violating it to be valid; one must prevail. This is succinctly stated as follows:

The General rule is that an unconstitutional statute, though having the form and name of law is in reality no law, but is wholly void, and ineffective for any purpose; since unconstitutionality dates from the time of its enactment and not merely from the date of the decision so branding it. An unconstitutional law, in legal contemplation, is as inoperative as if it had never been passed. Such a statute leaves the question that it purports to settle just as it would be had the statute not been enacted.

Since an unconstitutional law is void, the general principles follow that it imposes no duties, confers no rights, creates no office, bestows no power or authority on anyone, affords no protection, and justifies no acts performed under it.....

A void act cannot be legally consistent with a valid one. An unconstitutional law cannot operate to supersede any existing valid law. Indeed, insofar as a statute runs counter to the fundamental law of the lend, it is superseded thereby.
No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it."

From American Jurisprudence- a legal encyclopedia
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #187 on: May 07, 2020, 02:01:08 am »
"The general misconception is that any statute passed by legislators bearing the appearance of law constitutes the law of the land. The U.S. Constitution is the supreme law of the land, and any statute, to be valid, must be In agreement. It is impossible for both the Constitution and a law violating it to be valid; one must prevail. This is succinctly stated as follows:

The General rule is that an unconstitutional statute, though having the form and name of law is in reality no law, but is wholly void, and ineffective for any purpose; since unconstitutionality dates from the time of its enactment and not merely from the date of the decision so branding it. An unconstitutional law, in legal contemplation, is as inoperative as if it had never been passed. Such a statute leaves the question that it purports to settle just as it would be had the statute not been enacted.

Since an unconstitutional law is void, the general principles follow that it imposes no duties, confers no rights, creates no office, bestows no power or authority on anyone, affords no protection, and justifies no acts performed under it.....

A void act cannot be legally consistent with a valid one. An unconstitutional law cannot operate to supersede any existing valid law. Indeed, insofar as a statute runs counter to the fundamental law of the lend, it is superseded thereby.
No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it."

Spot on. Thank you.
John Steinbeck

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #188 on: May 07, 2020, 02:19:31 am »

Does this apply to the intent of the law, or the letter of the law?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #189 on: May 07, 2020, 11:53:14 pm »
As a Wolf was lapping at the Head of a Fountain, he spy'd a Lamb paddling at the same time a good way off down the Stream. The Wolf had no sooner the Prey in his eye, but away he runs open-mouth to't. Villain (says he) how dare you lie muddling the Water that I'm a drinking? Indeed, says the poor Lamb, I did not think that my drinking here below could have foul'd your Water so far above. Nay, says t'other, you'll never leave your chopping of Logick, till your Skin's turn'd over your Ears, as your Father's was, a matter of six months ago, for prating at this saucy rate; you remember it full well, Sirrah. If you'll believe me, Sir, (quoth the innocent Lamb, with fear and trembling) I was not come into the World then. Why thou Impudence, cries the Wolf, hast thou neither Shame nor Conscience? But it runs in the Blood of your whole Race, Sirrah, to hate our Family; and therefore since Fortune has brought us together so conveniently, you shall e'en pay some of your Forefathers Scores before you and I part. And so without any more ado, he leap'd at the Throat of the miserable helpless Lamb, and tore him immediately to pieces.

THE MORAL OF THE TWO FABLES ABOVE. 'Tis an easy Matter to find a Staff to beat a Dog. Innocence is no Protection against the arbitrary Cruelty of a tyrannical Power; But Reason and Conscience are yet so sacred, that the greatest Villanies are still countenanc'd under that Cloke and Colour.

—Aesop, "The Wolf and the Lamb," as recounted by Roger L'Estrange
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #190 on: May 08, 2020, 02:19:22 pm »
@Bigun  Is this the thread you were looking for?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #191 on: May 08, 2020, 02:36:38 pm »
@Bigun  Is this the thread you were looking for?

Yes it is @Cyber Liberty @Lando Lincoln found it for me.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #192 on: May 08, 2020, 02:39:44 pm »
As a Wolf was lapping at the Head of a Fountain, he spy'd a Lamb paddling at the same time a good way off down the Stream. The Wolf had no sooner the Prey in his eye, but away he runs open-mouth to't. Villain (says he) how dare you lie muddling the Water that I'm a drinking? Indeed, says the poor Lamb, I did not think that my drinking here below could have foul'd your Water so far above. Nay, says t'other, you'll never leave your chopping of Logick, till your Skin's turn'd over your Ears, as your Father's was, a matter of six months ago, for prating at this saucy rate; you remember it full well, Sirrah. If you'll believe me, Sir, (quoth the innocent Lamb, with fear and trembling) I was not come into the World then. Why thou Impudence, cries the Wolf, hast thou neither Shame nor Conscience? But it runs in the Blood of your whole Race, Sirrah, to hate our Family; and therefore since Fortune has brought us together so conveniently, you shall e'en pay some of your Forefathers Scores before you and I part. And so without any more ado, he leap'd at the Throat of the miserable helpless Lamb, and tore him immediately to pieces.

THE MORAL OF THE TWO FABLES ABOVE. 'Tis an easy Matter to find a Staff to beat a Dog. Innocence is no Protection against the arbitrary Cruelty of a tyrannical Power; But Reason and Conscience are yet so sacred, that the greatest Villanies are still countenanc'd under that Cloke and Colour.

—Aesop, "The Wolf and the Lamb," as recounted by Roger L'Estrange

Thanks @jmyrlefuller!  Very much worth remembering

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #193 on: May 23, 2020, 02:22:03 am »
John Steinbeck

Offline DB

« Reply #194 on: May 23, 2020, 03:53:50 am »

I think there should be some legal consequence for those who pass laws that are unconstitutional. It should cost something to violate the constitution. With a little fear they might just error on the constitutional side of things for a change.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #195 on: May 23, 2020, 01:23:38 pm »
I think there should be some legal consequence for those who pass laws that are unconstitutional. It should cost something to violate the constitution. With a little fear they might just error on the constitutional side of things for a change.

:yowsa: I fully agree.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #196 on: May 23, 2020, 01:26:23 pm »
We need a supreme court that does not rewrite unconstitutional laws being contested in order to make them legal.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #197 on: May 23, 2020, 01:27:05 pm »
We need a supreme court that does not rewrite unconstitutional laws being contested in order to make them legal.

:amen:

And there should be consequences for those that do that as well!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 01:27:57 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #198 on: June 08, 2020, 12:21:56 am »
@EdinVA
@DB
@Bigun

What we really need are Congresses that quit writing and passing unconstitutional laws in the first place.

If they can't or won't, we need presidents who remember a) they're not the nation's chief lawmakers, and b) that their oaths of office aren't just part of a swearing-in ceremony, and veto such laws, saying in plain language why, and letting it be on a Congress's head if they override the veto.

And if neither can't or won't, we need a Supreme Court to strike such laws down without rewriting them as @EdinVA says.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #199 on: June 08, 2020, 12:30:54 am »
@EdinVA
@DB
@Bigun

What we really need are Congresses that quit writing and passing unconstitutional laws in the first place.

If they can't or won't, we need presidents who remember a) they're not the nation's chief lawmakers, and b) that their oaths of office aren't just part of a swearing-in ceremony, and veto such laws, saying in plain language why, and letting it be on a Congress's head if they override the veto.

And if neither can't or won't, we need a Supreme Court to strike such laws down without rewriting them as @EdinVA says.
Exactly!
Between the courts and senior agency executives, we simply have to many unaccountable people forcing us down streets we don't want/need to go...