Author Topic: The Repository  (Read 53819 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: The Repository
« Reply #200 on: June 08, 2020, 12:43:44 am »
And if neither can't or won't, we need a Supreme Court to strike such laws down without rewriting them as @EdinVA says.

As long as we understand that John Roberts is not a Justice we can hang on the Bad Orange Man.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #201 on: June 08, 2020, 12:52:51 am »
As long as we understand that John Roberts is not a Justice we can hang on the Bad Orange Man.
@Cyber Liberty
We can hang the BOM (sorry, you left me the opening!) for a good many things, but he did give us Neil Gorsuch. (And even there, he needed the Federalist Society and the Heritage Foundation to prompt him, since he probably wouldn't have known Gorsuch from Gorcey---Leo, that is ;)---on his own at the time.)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #202 on: June 08, 2020, 01:00:36 am »
@Cyber Liberty
We can hang the BOM (sorry, you left me the opening!) for a good many things, but he did give us Neil Gorsuch. (And even there, he needed the Federalist Society and the Heritage Foundation to prompt him, since he probably wouldn't have known Gorsuch from Gorcey---Leo, that is ;)---on his own at the time.)

Any old thing to keep the trope rolling, eh?   happy77
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #203 on: June 08, 2020, 01:18:50 am »
Any old thing to keep the trope rolling, eh?   happy77
@Cyber Liberty
I don't know about rolling a trope, and I've certainly never smoked trope, but I prefer to keep the tape rolling, such as when I get to fulfill one of my musical bucket list items this week. (Namely, playing in a guitar-organ-drums trio such as those once done by the like of Jimmy Smith, Baby Face Willette, Grant Green, Kenny Burrell, and Big John Patton. I always did like that type of lineup for bluesy jazz and jazzy blues.)

On the other hand, when I was a kid I could hit frozen tropes to the opposite field . . .  wink777

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #204 on: June 08, 2020, 01:42:29 am »
@EdinVA
@DB
@Bigun

What we really need are Congresses that quit writing and passing unconstitutional laws in the first place.

If they can't or won't, we need presidents who remember a) they're not the nation's chief lawmakers, and b) that their oaths of office aren't just part of a swearing-in ceremony, and veto such laws, saying in plain language why, and letting it be on a Congress's head if they override the veto.

And if neither can't or won't, we need a Supreme Court to strike such laws down without rewriting them as @EdinVA says.

Quite right @EasyAce!  To a man, the founders expected that no one would ever vote for a law that they personally thought to be unconstitutional and no president would ever sign one.  Nowadays they vote for it in order to see what's in it.  Very sad state of affairs.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #205 on: June 08, 2020, 01:47:52 am »
@Cyber Liberty
I don't know about rolling a trope, and I've certainly never smoked trope, but I prefer to keep the tape rolling, such as when I get to fulfill one of my musical bucket list items this week. (Namely, playing in a guitar-organ-drums trio such as those once done by the like of Jimmy Smith, Baby Face Willette, Grant Green, Kenny Burrell, and Big John Patton. I always did like that type of lineup for bluesy jazz and jazzy blues.)

On the other hand, when I was a kid I could hit frozen tropes to the opposite field . . .  wink777

I used to collect tropes, but my ex got them all in the divorce.  Never missed 'em.   wink777
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #206 on: June 08, 2020, 02:38:39 am »
I used to collect tropes, but my ex got them all in the divorce.  Never missed 'em.   wink777
@Cyber Liberty

Give 'em enough trope . . .

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #207 on: July 08, 2020, 02:26:23 am »
"We tend as a nation to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralization." —Charlton Ogburn, 1957
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #208 on: July 08, 2020, 02:49:58 am »
"We tend as a nation to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralization." —Charlton Ogburn, 1957
I like that! Nice quote, sad that it is true.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis