Author Topic: GOP heads into midterms without detailed conservative manifesto  (Read 2017 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: GOP heads into midterms without detailed conservative manifesto
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2014, 03:56:09 pm »
What has obviously been missing for quite awhile is the art of persuading voters. Of convincing them, converting them to conservatism. The art of selling.

Like it or not, some of the components of currently defined "conservatism" are not all popular.

On the social issues side, I believe that prohibiting abortions for rape is very unpopular.

On the economic issues side, I believe blocking minimum wage increases is unpopular. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2014, 03:59:58 pm »

I don't completely blame the voters, but many of them have been listening to the alleged conservatives who continue screaming about no difference between the parties, thus no reason to vote.  So I'll ask you what I asked Dan earlier, what do you think they should do?

We the people have the power to take it all back if we could just unshackle ourselves from the belief that voting outside of the two party system is a waste of time. We need to shake away all of the nonsense and start fresh. We need real people in office that understand the concerns of the people that voted for them and are actually intent on addressing those concerns. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a right wing party that actually actively worked to dismantle the ridiculous amount of power the government wields? Wouldn't in be nice if spending and debt actually started to go down for once? Democrats and Republicans have been in control for way too long; it's time for something new. I don't know what Dan and others believe, but I certainly do not believe that people should stop voting.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2014, 04:08:21 pm »
We the people have the power to take it all back if we could just unshackle ourselves from the belief that voting outside of the two party system is a waste of time. We need to shake away all of the nonsense and start fresh. We need real people in office that understand the concerns of the people that voted for them and are actually intent on addressing those concerns. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a right wing party that actually actively worked to dismantle the ridiculous amount of power the government wields? Wouldn't in be nice if spending and debt actually started to go down for once? Democrats and Republicans have been in control for way too long; it's time for something new. I don't know what Dan and others believe, but I certainly do not believe that people should stop voting.

Where I see the problem too, Dex, is that it's been demonstrated over and over again that people tend to think their own personal POVs are the norm and the most common.

Cheating aside, it manifested itself perfectly in the 2012 election.

I STILL have the unopened bottle of champagne in my refrigerator I bought to celebrate Obama's defeat.   :shrug:

Third parties in these dangerously perilous times is suicidal.  We need to take over the GOP like the Communists did the Democrat Party.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 04:09:23 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2014, 04:11:19 pm »
Where I see the problem too, Dex, is that it's been demonstrated over and over again that people tend to think their own personal POVs are the norm and the most common.

Cheating aside, it manifested itself perfectly in the 2012 election.

I STILL have the unopened bottle of champagne in my refrigerator I bought to celebrate Obama's defeat.   :shrug:

Third parties in these dangerously perilous times is suicidal.  We need to take over the GOP like the Communists did the Democrat Party.

There are so many people that have no faith in the two party system. If there was a viable third party I believe that millions of people would come out of the woodwork. If the two party system is compromised, which I believe it is, then they've already won. We need to fight to take it back before it's too late.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 04:12:35 pm by Dex4974 »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2014, 04:17:49 pm »

I don't completely blame the voters, but many of them have been listening to the alleged conservatives who continue screaming about no difference between the parties, thus no reason to vote.  So I'll ask you what I asked Dan earlier, what do you think they should do?

They could start by screaming from the rooftops!  Be mad!  Believe me - the voters are mad!  Show that they get it and they won't stop at anything to fix it!  Show some damn passion for God's sake!  Quit hiding!  Put your manifestos OUT THERE where people can see them!  Stop muzzelling tea party voices - there's still a LOT of us out here & we want to be represented too!

Get mad as hell and stop taking it anymore!!!!!!!!!!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2014, 04:21:38 pm »

Dex, there are several political parties on the right, including the Libertarian, Constitution, American Independent Party, as well as several more, some single issue oriented.  Take you pick, but none of them seem to have made a dent in American politics.  The Tea Party movement elected a number of candidates in 2010, but then seemed to die out.  And BTW, the left feels the same way.  But I doubt there is much you or I would agree on to join them in a search for a viable third party.

But those who haven't even looked at the lists Boehner and Portman have put out have little to complain about.  Tell us what the new "contract with America" would look like that would suddenly bring out tens of millions of Americans to form a third party.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2014, 04:24:41 pm »
They could start by screaming from the rooftops!  Be mad!  Believe me - the voters are mad!  Show that they get it and they won't stop at anything to fix it!  Show some damn passion for God's sake!  Quit hiding!  Put your manifestos OUT THERE where people can see them!  Stop muzzelling tea party voices - there's still a LOT of us out here & we want to be represented too!

I don't see where the tea parties were muzzled during the primaries when mainstream Republicans won most of the nominations.  But I agree with you.  Put your lists and goals...or manifestos out there.  But the best time to do this is during the primary season.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2014, 04:46:34 am »

Wise, good, wild, or grave.  Rage on.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2014, 12:01:38 pm »
The track record of the Republicans hasn't been good lately - and it's not the fault of the voters! Stop blaming the voters, stop accusing patriotic Americans of wanting Democrat victory.
Bullcrap.

The problem is just that. Most of the voters oppose Republicanism and conservatism to the core now. Entitlements are a need. Government workers are revered and a public service, and don't ever dare call them overpaid. Homosexuality is a God-given right (ha!) and no one is allowed to criticize it. The idea of leaving people alone and expressing responsible behavior is, quite frankly, anathema to the modern culture.

This is a different country. Those of us who see the error of these people's ways, and fear the national destruction that HAS BEEN HAPPENING and will happen further, are now the opposition.

It is their fault. It is their ignorance. “Patriotic” Americans are a dying breed—literally, judging by demographics lately.

Which is precisely why I agree with the idea of not having a major platform or manifesto for the Democratic Party Machine to attack. The Tea Party's greatest gains of 2010 were fueled solely by the idea that the Republicans were the opposition, and that's all they needed. The fact is, if the Republicans retake the Senate, the ignorant masses are not going to like what they do, so it has to be a stealth operation.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 12:11:18 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2014, 01:08:55 pm »
Bullcrap.

The problem is just that. Most of the voters oppose Republicanism and conservatism to the core now. Entitlements are a need. Government workers are revered and a public service, and don't ever dare call them overpaid. Homosexuality is a God-given right (ha!) and no one is allowed to criticize it. The idea of leaving people alone and expressing responsible behavior is, quite frankly, anathema to the modern culture.

This is a different country. Those of us who see the error of these people's ways, and fear the national destruction that HAS BEEN HAPPENING and will happen further, are now the opposition.

It is their fault. It is their ignorance. “Patriotic” Americans are a dying breed—literally, judging by demographics lately.

Which is precisely why I agree with the idea of not having a major platform or manifesto for the Democratic Party Machine to attack. The Tea Party's greatest gains of 2010 were fueled solely by the idea that the Republicans were the opposition, and that's all they needed. The fact is, if the Republicans retake the Senate, the ignorant masses are not going to like what they do, so it has to be a stealth operation.

I largely agree. But an opposition's duty is to oppose, and to do that, you need to stand for something.

The GOP suffers for its current appearance of standing for either nothing at all, or for its refusal to defend itself against its Democrat/Media caricature.

I would suggest that Republicans coalesce around the proposition that America has lost its way, and needs to return to its foundational principles: liberty, individual responsibility, and virtuous behavior. They ought to promote the importance of voluntary associations, not government as the primary means of solving social problems, and champion the rebuilding of families, and the vitality of neighborhoods, communities, membership organizations, religious groups and charities.

They also ought to ask Democrats to reject the voices of hatred, anger, intolerance, bigotry, and irresponsibility that now dominate their own leadership. Recognize that honorable people may differ on many things, and on ideas, and that such diversity of thought is not only acceptable, but welcome.

Challenge Democrats and independents to question their assumptions, to check their premises, and to think outside of the boxes that the media has created for them.

Be positive. Be forward-looking. Be cheerful. Be calm. But be honest and ask others to ask the same of themselves. Reject the politics of hatred and division. Stop the mindlessly stupid negative and phony advertising - leave that to the other side.  Instead, have our candidates speak directly and calmly to the voters and viewers - right into the camera - and tell them that if America is to survive, America must first return to its fundamental principles, and invite all people of good will to join in the fight.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline olde north church

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2014, 01:59:35 pm »
Bullcrap.

Wrong, wrong, wrong!  The aversion to homosexuality and it's acceptance in the common culture is showing up in the droves of people converting to a culture of supposed righteousness.  People want values, not necessarily religious ones.  Family, honor, community.
I don't know how many times Reagan was photographed outside a church but it wasn't many.  That's what people forget.  It's old as Rome and older.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2014, 02:58:11 pm »

IMHO--this is reality in a nutshell. 

Fundamental change has come to America.