Author Topic: McChrystal: Americans should unite behind Obama's ISIS strategy  (Read 461 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McChrystal: Americans should unite behind Obama's ISIS strategy
« on: September 13, 2014, 07:29:35 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/217636-mcchrystal-americans-should-unite-behind-obamas-isis-strategy

McChrystal: Americans should unite behind Obama's ISIS strategy

By Rebecca Shabad - 09/13/14 09:34 AM EDT

Retired four star Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal urged Americans on Friday to unite behind President Obama’s strategy to destroy the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS).

“If you think about our strategy now, the one thing we absolutely need is cohesion in the United States in support of the president’s strategy. Is it a perfect strategy? No. I’ve never seen a perfect strategy. But I can guarantee it’s a weaker strategy if we don’t fall behind him,” he said in an interview on CNN’s “Outfront with Erin Burnett.”

McChrystal said U.S. airstrikes against ISIS won’t completely eliminate the extremist group.

“It’s a tool. It’s part of what you do, but it doesn’t solve the problem,” he said. “If you start to look for the simple, very surgical solution, it’s an illusion, it’s almost deceptive because it will look and feel like you’re solving the problem, when in reality the problem is much more fundamental.”

McChrystal was the commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan under Presdent George W. Bush and was the former leader of Joint Special Operations Command. He was also heavily involved in military operations in Iraq.

The retired general warned ISIS is in a better position than al Qaeda because its members control territory in Iraq and Syria. This allows them to provide good and services to people just as a state would.

“If you can do that to a level that’s accepted by the population, even if it’s not loved, they have an opportunity to get legitimacy that they shouldn’t have,” McChrystal said. “Over time, that legitimacy could make them pretty difficult to root out.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

Re: McChrystal: Americans should unite behind Obama's ISIS strategy
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 07:58:47 pm »
No.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 08:08:41 pm »
Calling it a strategy doesn't make it one!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 08:10:45 pm »
Calling it a strategy doesn't make it one!

My thought exactly when I saw the title.....

There IS no "strategy."
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 10:48:53 pm »
I can and will "unite behind President Obama’s strategy to destroy the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS)."

That doesn't mean it is the best strategy possible, or that I like or respect Obama. But historically we put partisanship aside at waters' edge--in favor of doing what is right for our country.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline olde north church

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 08:44:04 am »
I can and will "unite behind President Obama’s strategy to destroy the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS)."

That doesn't mean it is the best strategy possible, or that I like or respect Obama. But historically we put partisanship aside at waters' edge--in favor of doing what is right for our country.

When he starts doing "what right for our country", I will start supporting him.
Screw McChrystal and the horse he rode in on.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 01:38:47 pm »
When he starts doing "what right for our country", I will start supporting him.
Screw McChrystal and the horse he rode in on.

Exactly.  It is not "partisanship" that keeps me from supporting what Obama is doing in the Middle East.  It is the fact that everything he does makes it worse for people that value freedom.  Everything he does is calculated to advance the global Caliphate. 

McChrystal and Petraeus are obviously cut from the same cloth as Colin Powell. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!