Author Topic: Study: Female triathletes at risk for pelvic issues, bone loss  (Read 835 times)

rangerrebew

Study: Female triathletes at risk for pelvic issues, bone loss

August 8, 2014  By Patricia Kime 

Female triathletes are at risk for developing pelvic floor conditions such as incontinence or prolapse, according to a recent study presented at the American Urogynecologic Society’s 2014 Scientific Meeting in Washington, D.C.

Whether they’re more at risk is unclear.

Loyola University Health System researchers found that about a third of 311 female athletes suffered from incontinence or some other pelvic floor problems, while 29 percent reported having brittle bones related to low bone density.

Sixteen percent reported urge-related urinary incontinence, 37 percent had stress urinary incontinence, and 28 percent reported bowel incontinence.

Those studied had a median age of 35-44 and ran an average of nearly four days a week, biked about three days a week and swam two days a week.

The study didn’t establish a causal link between triathlon training  and pelvic issues, though. Reserachers Drs. Colleen Fitzgerald and Johnny Yi said the miles covered in training and intensity of exercise did not appear to be associated with an increased risk for the pelvic disorders.

Although the study authors did not give the rates of conditions such as pelvic prolapse or urinary incontinence in comparably aged non-triathletes, both conditions are associated with aging, and some studies indicate that the lifetime risk of needing surgery for these conditions for all women in the U.S. is between 7 and 11 percent. In the women surveyed:
•5 percent had some degree of pelvic-organ prolapse.
•A quarter reported menstrual irregularities.
•22 percent screened positive for eating issues.
•A quarter reported issues associated with competitive sports’ “female athlete triad” of disorders — eating disorders, irregular periods and low bone density.

Authors say the findings demonstrate that health providers treating active patients should be aware of potential consequences of certain sports.

“While both pelvic-floor disorders and the female athlete triad are prevalent in female triathletes, both are often ignored,” Yi said. “Doctors should be aware of how common these conditions are in this group of athletes and treat patients appropriately to avoid long-term health consequences.”

Athletes — and all women — can promote pelvic organ health by doing Kegel exercises: those perineum, butt and vagina-tightening movements most only learn about after having a kid or reading Cosmo.

The Urology Care Foundation recommends 45 Kegel squeezes twice a day.

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/pt365/2014/08/08/study-female-triathletes-at-risk-for-pelvic-issues-bone-loss/
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 05:38:27 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: Study: Female triathletes at risk for pelvic issues, bone loss
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 05:46:39 pm »
I'm sure that the Marine Corp is hard at work this very minute, updating the curriculum for female recruit training..........

:smokin:

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 05:48:26 pm »
I'm sure that the Marine Corp is hard at work this very minute, updating the curriculum for female recruit training..........

Don't you mean downgrading?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 01:29:38 am »

Kegel exercises are standard over here for female personnel. They are in addition to the regular PT, the guys use the extra 20 minutes to do free form.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 02:16:41 am »
I did triathlons for awhile. Aspired to Hawaii Ironman, but never got there. Got to training regularly at 1/2 Ironman distance, which is run 13.1 miles, bike 56 miles, swim 1.2 miles.

Two events training per day, 6 days a week, 3 on the 7th day. I ran my fastest marathon, while doing triathlon training. Down the road in San Diego County is one of the international meccas of triathlon training.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 02:33:50 am »
I am not sure whether I admire you, think you are insane for doing that voluntarily, or both.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 04:00:32 am »
I am not sure whether I admire you, think you are insane for doing that voluntarily, or both.
Well at the time I also drank about 12 to 18 cans of beer, daily as well. When I quit drinking 20 years ago, I reduced the training as well.

Drinking is partly an obsession of the mind, together with physical addiction. Running/biking/swimming takes some obsession, too.

I still "workout" but it is now walking and biking. And not so much. I am still "obsessed" with getting some exercise, daily.

My personal best marathon was 2 hours and 55 minutes at age 39, some 27 years ago. That is a 6 minute 40 second mile, for 26.2 miles--not just casual jogging.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln