Author Topic: Jihadis Tug at Edges of a Staunch American Ally  (Read 421 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Jihadis Tug at Edges of a Staunch American Ally
« on: July 08, 2014, 09:40:47 am »
MAAN, Jordan — Hanging from the facade of a shuttered bank on a bustling market street in this sunbaked town were two large, white banners emblazoned with black letters.

“We congratulate the Islamic nation for its epic conquests,” one read. “Granted by Allah to the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.”

The banners went up last month after about 100 local residents carried them through downtown, waving the black flags of jihad and praising the extremist group that has seized territory in two neighboring countries. But while ISIS, which now calls itself the Islamic State, appears to have no active presence in this desert town south of the capital, Amman, the event demonstrated how its image is growing, its ideology gaining traction and its appeal extending beyond those who would take up arms and don suicide vests.

“People were happy about the victories of the Sunnis in Iraq, so they went out to congratulate them,” said Ahed Abu Darwish, whose brother, Essam, organized the pro-ISIS march. “It’s like raising the flag of Barcelona or Argentina after they win a soccer match.”

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/08/world/middleeast/jihadis-tug-at-edges-of-a-staunch-american-ally.html

The words terrible idea spring to mind.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline musiclady

Re: Jihadis Tug at Edges of a Staunch American Ally
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 03:00:47 pm »
“It’s like raising the flag of Barcelona or Argentina after they win a soccer match.”

Excuse me????

I am unaware that any members of the Argentinian soccer team slaughtered any of their opponents.

Did I miss something?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 03:36:20 pm »
Understand clearly that when we talk about "Palestinians" we are really talking about "Displaced Jordanian Citizens".  "The West Bank" refers to the West bank of the Jordan river, which lies in the Kingdom of Jordan.

Jordan is one of the last remaining Monarchies in the Middle East and has managed to survive despite all of the terrorism surrounding it.  Many think Jordan will be the next one to fall of the so-called "Arab Spring" continues.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 08:26:22 pm »
Jordan is one of the last remaining Monarchies in the Middle East and has managed to survive despite all of the terrorism surrounding it.  Many think Jordan will be the next one to fall of the so-called "Arab Spring" continues.

Think? It's actively being aimed for.

There are over a million Syrian refugees in Jordan at the moment, and they are not all harmless farmers and shop keepers.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink