Author Topic: Attorneys plan appeal on term limits ruling  (Read 676 times)

Offline flowers

Attorneys plan appeal on term limits ruling
« on: June 27, 2014, 08:34:59 pm »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jun/27/judge-set-to-rule-on-term-limits-remap-lawsuit/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS

CHICAGO (AP) - Attorneys say they’ll appeal a Cook County judge’s decision to block a measure calling for term limits from the November ballot.

Cook County Circuit Court Judge Mary Mikva ruled Friday that the signature-driven measure didn’t meet constitutional requirements. She ruled the same way for a measure looking to change how Illinois makes its political maps.

The rulings are a setback for groups advocating the measures, including one led by Republican governor candidate Bruce Rauner (ROW’-nur). He’s made term limits a cornerstone of his campaign to unseat Democratic Gov. Pat Quinn.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Attorneys plan appeal on term limits ruling
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 09:24:28 pm »
I am opposed to term limits.  They are simply a means for a particular group to drive somebody out of office when they can't get the votes to do it.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 02:47:16 am »
I am opposed to term limits.  They are simply a means for a particular group to drive somebody out of office when they can't get the votes to do it.

Generally speaking I am, too.  However, I do think that the two-term limit for president is good.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 02:57:39 am »
I have no problem with the limits in place now.  In fact, I wouldn't mind one six-year term for a President.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 03:07:15 am »
I have no problem with the limits in place now.  In fact, I wouldn't mind one six-year term for a President.

That's an interesting thought.  What about one eight-year term?

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 03:11:39 am »

Really?  How about term limits for Supreme Court Justices?? 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 03:16:31 am »

Nope.  I'm OK with the current set-up.  I don't want President's to use Supreme Court nominations (and possible candidates) in their campaigns.

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 03:17:08 am »

Term limits, or a mandatory retirement age?

SPQR

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 03:54:39 am »

You would have to change Article III the Constitution because this case would apply to them too. I do not see this case having a bright future.

Since the Constitution was written in 1787, Article III has declared that “the judges, both of the supreme and inferior courts, shall hold their offices during good behavior…” A legal scholar, Martin H. Redish, once suggested that the phrase “during good behavior” could be the Constitution’s “most mysterious provision.”

In promoting ratification of the Constitution in The Federalist No. 78, Alexander Hamilton equated the “good behavior” idea with life tenure for judges and strongly supported it, writing: “The standard of good behavior for the continuance in office of the judicial magistracy is certainly one of the most valuable of the modern improvements in the practice of government. In a monarchy it is an excellent barrier to the despotism of the prince; in a republic it is a no less excellent barrier to the encroachments and oppressions of the representative body. And it is the best expedient which can be devised in any government, to secure a steady, upright, and impartial administration of the laws.”

http://blog.constitutioncenter.org/2013/09/constitution-check-should-supreme-court-justices-have-limits-on-their-time-in-office/
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 03:59:06 am by Trigger »