Author Topic: Sarah Palin Makes More Noise About Joining A Third Party Movement  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/sarah-palin-third-party-hannity

With one of the tea party candidates she campaigned for headed for a loss on Tuesday night, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (R) made another warning that her days as part of the GOP might be numbered.

In an interview on Fox News with Sean Hannity, the former Republican vice presidential nominee talked again about the possibility of joining a third party movement.

The comments came prior to Sen. Thad Cochran declaring victory over tea party challenger Chris McDaniel, who Palin campaigned for, in the Republican run-off in Mississippi.

During the interview, Hannity asked her to explain her recent comments about the possibility of leaving the party.

“If Republicans are going to act like Democrats, what’s the use in getting all gung ho about getting other Republicans in there?” she said. “We need people who understand the beauty of, the value of allowing the free market to thrive. Otherwise our country is going to continue to be over-regulated, driving industry away, driving jobs away.”

Palin warned that the U.S. was going to become a “bankrupt, fundamentally transformed country” unless Republican leaders stop “going along just to go along” with those in power.

“If Republicans aren’t going to stand strong on the planks of our platform, it does no good to get all enthused about them anymore.”

This is not the first time Palin has expressed frustration with the GOP. Two weeks ago, Palin wrote on her Facebook that the news of poor conditions for children at a holding center for undocumented, unaccompanied minors was about to push her to "renounce her Republican ties.”

Last year, Palin made a similar threat in an interview on Fox, saying if the GOP continues to back away from its platform planks, “we have nowhere else to go except to become more independent and not enlisted in a one or the other of the private majority parties that rule in our nation,” she said. “These are private parties. No one forces us to be enlisted.”
-------------------------------------------
Going 3rd party has done wonderful things for Alan Keyes, Ron Paul, Tom Tancredo and Bob Barr. - once-ler
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 06:53:17 am by Once-Ler »

Oceander

Re: Sarah Palin Makes More Noise About Joining A Third Party Movement
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 01:28:24 pm »
and so it goes, her political capital continues to ebb away.  one might begin to suspect that she's really a democrat party operative intent on getting Hillary elected in 2016.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 01:44:15 pm »

Either way, the GOP is quite happy to retain its minority party status forever...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 01:58:46 pm »
Ms. Palin is as self-promoting as usual, but she is also as usual, correct about the fundamental things. 

There is no reason for conservatives to support Republicans just because they are Republicans in name.  We have seen what happens when such people - GOP Progressives who favor big government, but not quite as much of it as do Democrat Progressives - are in charge of the White House and the Senate: Democrats win.

Democrats win because they actually believe in something and are willing to press forward an agenda to achieve it, including personal attacks on Republicans, even on those who seek compromise, not confrontation.   

A GOP Senate full of Thad Cochrans, John McCains, Mitch McConnells, and Lindsay Grahams will never, ever, ever slow the growth of government nor act to diminish its power. They are owned by Washington, Inc. and its lobbyist class. They pretend to listen to conservatives while palling around with the Progressives who control each and every social and political institution, cutting deals and counting campaign cash.

I quit the Republican Party because it no longer represents people like myself: middle-class business people who believe in limited government, free enterprise, traditional religious values, and secure national borders. I still usually vote for Republicans, but not always.

I'd rather vote for an honest liberal (and there are a few) who champions free speech and privacy rights, as opposed to a smarmy GOP lifer who thinks the Federal government's phony "War on Terror" allows SWAT teams to invade my house or read my email without a warrant.

But Ms. Palin and others in the Tea Party are barking up the wrong tree if they think that America needs a third party.

No: it needs a second one that stands for something other than augmenting its own power, debasing our money and extending centralized control over all of our lives.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 02:02:16 pm »

But Ms. Palin and others in the Tea Party are barking up the wrong tree if they think that America needs a third party.

No: it needs a second one that stands for something other than augmenting its own power, debasing our money and extending centralized control over all of our lives.

Course, if a 'Tea Party' ever did get started, the GOP might go the way of the Whigs... and quite quickly too.

This may be what Palin is anticipating...

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 02:23:28 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 03:44:56 pm »
Course, if a 'Tea Party' ever did get started, the GOP might go the way of the Whigs... and quite quickly too.

This may be what Palin is anticipating...

When a minority of the GOP admits to being Tea Party, an actual "Tea Party" would resemble the Libertarian Party in its efforts and influence.

Palin's audience continues to shrink, as does her effect and,no doubt, her bank account.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 04:33:34 pm »
When a minority of the GOP admits to being Tea Party, an actual "Tea Party" would resemble the Libertarian Party in its efforts and influence.

Palin's audience continues to shrink, as does her effect and,no doubt, her bank account.

Also the rats want the conservative vote split.  That is how Clinton won in 92.  She must be short on cash.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline speekinout

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 07:12:57 pm »
At this point, I wouldn't mind if Palin and the other national Tea Party groups started a third party. My biggest issue with them is that they don't properly vet the candidates they support. There are already enough examples of how their choices have let the dims and the msm (that's redundant, I guess) tar the whole GOP with the zaniness of a few. We don't need more like O'Donnell, Angle, Akin, Mourlock, and McDaniel held up as examples of GOP party leaders.

If they nominated their candidates as a third party, and the GOP establishment nominated an electable alternative, then we could choose the better of the two without being distracted by inter-party squabbles during the primary season.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 07:31:08 pm »
Also the rats want the conservative vote split.  That is how Clinton won in 92.  She must be short on cash.
I wonder sometimes about the chance some of the proponents of leaving the GOP, of 3rd parties, are in fact democrat operatives, stirring the pot of the gullible and naïve?

I don't wonder, because I'm certain the radio entertainers and Palin-like operators keep stirring, because it gives them material and emotional strings to tug.

There are a lot of solid conservatives who never fell for the need to label themselves as "tea Party" like my own (Rohrabacher).

Seeing the likes of Sen. Coburn called a "liberal" discredits those who do so as well as their "movements."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 08:57:10 pm »
Well, given that of the reprehensible characters like Mitch "I Orchestrated the Bailout, but My Opponent's a Bad Guy for Having Supported it in the Past" McConnell, Lindsey "Bribe All My Potential Opponents" Graham and Thad "I Love Pork in More Ways than One" Cochran, not ONE lost a primary this season, it is clear that the Republican Party no longer reflects the values of conservatism. The two can no longer coexist. The Tea Party's original plan of infiltrating the GOP has, in that most important of chambers, failed in an epic manner.

Gone are the days when a guy like Mike Lee can pull of an upset over an entrenched incumbent. They may be able to still do that in the House races, but no more in the Senate, where Reid lords over.

It should be plain to see that the current leadership is not good enough. The Bush Administration from 2001 to 2006 should illustrate that perfectly, yet the GOP keeps electing the same Bush era (and before) Senatorial candidates.

I hate to say it, but it may be time for a new party. If not, then what is the solution? Must we conservatives resign ourselves to be an oppressed people with no say in governing, watching as the ignorant masses continue to vote in people that will bring our country to ruin?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 08:58:01 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 09:57:37 pm »
At this point, I wouldn't mind if Palin and the other national Tea Party groups started a third party. My biggest issue with them is that they don't properly vet the candidates they support. There are already enough examples of how their choices have let the dims and the msm (that's redundant, I guess) tar the whole GOP with the zaniness of a few. We don't need more like O'Donnell, Angle, Akin, Mourlock, and McDaniel held up as examples of GOP party leaders.

If they nominated their candidates as a third party, and the GOP establishment nominated an electable alternative, then we could choose the better of the two without being distracted by inter-party squabbles during the primary season.

with two choices on the right and one on the left, the left would almost always win.  that is what happened in '92; Ross Perot essentially guaranteed that Clinton would win.  a tea party third party would split those votes that would otherwise have mostly gone to the republican candidate and, similarly, those votes that would have otherwise mostly gone to a tea party third party would be split with the republican candidate.

it's a tempting idea, but right now it's a terrible idea.

Offline speekinout

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 10:34:22 pm »
with two choices on the right and one on the left, the left would almost always win.  that is what happened in '92; Ross Perot essentially guaranteed that Clinton would win.  a tea party third party would split those votes that would otherwise have mostly gone to the republican candidate and, similarly, those votes that would have otherwise mostly gone to a tea party third party would be split with the republican candidate.

it's a tempting idea, but right now it's a terrible idea.

Normally, I would agree with you, but I think this is really an exception, and a third party - a Tea Party third party - would actually help the GOP.
The Tea Party vs establishment controversies leave the GOP at a disadvantage, no matter which candidate wins. They have fought with each other, and the msm exaggerates every disagreement, and continues to air the attacks on the winning candidate well into the general election. That drives away some voters, particularly independents, who didn't really follow the primary.
And the GOP isn't losing many votes by having a Tea Party candidate on the ballot. The people who would vote for that candidate are the ones who stay home if their choice isn't on the ballot. They won't be GOP voters anyway.
IOW, what we'd accomplish with that third party split is to have a more unified GOP; candidates who have been vetted; and a lot less inter-party venom for the msm to exploit.

This is the first time the GOP has really been its own worst enemy, and that problem has to be solved. Otherwise, we'll have bloody primary fights and dims waltzing to victory in the generals for years to come.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 03:41:54 am »
I'll gladly vote for Mrs. Palin over any of the obvious Republican presidential candidates.

I might even send her money (and the ONLY political candidate I've ever sent a contribution to before is Pat Buchanan, back in 1992, I believe).

The only Pubbie candidate that would make me think twice before doing the above is Scott Walker of Wisconsin. That guy has more political courage than any ten other walking breathing "Republicans"....

Offline raml

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 04:30:00 am »
You progressive republicans make me laugh you can't win an election and you throw darts at conservatives. A third party would take more voters than you think. Republicans will never win another presidential election with these establishment republicans as candidates on that you can bet you mother. it took fraud for Cockroach to win and he may lose the election yet.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 04:32:53 am by raml »

Offline olde north church

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 11:38:37 am »
You progressive republicans make me laugh you can't win an election and you throw darts at conservatives. A third party would take more voters than you think. Republicans will never win another presidential election with these establishment republicans as candidates on that you can bet you mother. it took fraud for Cockroach to win and he may lose the election yet.

You really shouldn't mock the Establishment types as long Conservatives refuse to take a leap of faith and start a third party.  Sometimes I believe Sarah making noise is nothing more than her shaking her pocketbook.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 11:46:42 am »
Sarah Palin is now on the footnote side of the arc.  I wish she had managed better ways to maintain relevance. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Oceander

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 01:43:39 pm »
Sarah Palin is now on the footnote side of the arc.  I wish she had managed better ways to maintain relevance. 

agreed.

Offline flowers

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 02:29:53 pm »
very true.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2014, 03:49:54 am »
Lando wrote
[[ Sarah Palin is now on the footnote side of the arc.  I wish she had managed better ways to maintain relevance. ]]

Something tells me that we haven't heard the last from her, yet.

Your comment sounds like what folks were sayin' about Richard Nixon, circa 1962….

Not that I think Palin would be "another Nixon".

But I sense reports of her political demise have been greatly exaggerated...