Author Topic: Thad Cochran wins GOP nomination in Mississippi  (Read 5742 times)

Offline Relic

Re: Mississippi calling it for Cochran 98% votes in
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2014, 06:09:04 pm »
The "will of the American people" is expressed by their votes.

That seems to be an ingredient "true conservatives" have the most difficulty with; e.g. getting the MOST votes. Hence they sometimes don't even get beyond their own party's primary.

You get MORE votes by being the choice of MORE voters. Many would say that is achieved by broadening their appeal.

A new approach for true conservatives would be following in Reagan's path; common sense appeal, including independents and democrats, and being gracious to all.

Remember Reagan democrats? I do. I guess Cochran has in mind being Senator for all the citizens of his state, not just a narrow minority.

Yeah, because a majority of Americans are clamoring for amnesty and gun control, right?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2014, 06:18:22 pm »
The "will of the American people" is expressed by their votes.

That seems to be an ingredient "true conservatives" have the most difficulty with; e.g. getting the MOST votes. Hence they sometimes don't even get beyond their own party's primary.

You get MORE votes by being the choice of MORE voters. Many would say that is achieved by broadening their appeal.

A new approach for true conservatives would be following in Reagan's path; common sense appeal, including independents and democrats, and being gracious to all.

Remember Reagan democrats? I do. I guess Cochran has in mind being Senator for all the citizens of his state, not just a narrow minority.

So we "true conservatives" should simply shut our mouths and just ignore the fact that many of the votes cast in this election were illegal due to the voters casting them having already voted in the DEMOCRAT primary?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

Re: Thad Cochran wins GOP nomination in Mississippi
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2014, 06:23:03 pm »
Bloomberg's anti-gun group gave Cochran lots of money, so perhaps Dems also are expecting Thad to support gun-grabbing.

He won't.  He never has.  There's not going to be ANY additional gun control efforts.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2014, 06:25:03 pm »
I'm not talking about how the primary is conducted but rather about the Republican party favoring one candidate over another in it you twit!

Twit?   LOL!!

The Republican party favored Cochran because he will crush Childers.  McDaniel has more skeletons than a cemetery and would likely have lost to Childers.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2014, 06:26:00 pm »
So we "true conservatives" should simply shut our mouths and just ignore the fact that many of the votes cast in this election were illegal due to the voters casting them having already voted in the DEMOCRAT primary?
Or looking at it my way, unable to get the most votes, conservatives resort to their most oft complaint of being victims.

And the hypocrisy of chuckling with vigor, when Limbo urged "conservatives" to  meddle in democrat primaries -- "Operation Chaos.". Remember?

https://www.google.com/search?q=limbaugh+hillary+operation+chaos&oq=limbaugh+hillary+operation+chaos&gs_l=serp.12...14261.16021.0.42928.6.6.0.0.0.0.134.703.0j6.6.0.chm_pq_qw%2Chmrde%3D0%2Chmffs%3D10%2Chmffl%3D3%2Chmffmp%3D0-9...0...1.1.48.serp..5.1.134.wKpZG8omR90

The piece of the process that eludes true conservatives: Winning the most votes, plain and simple.

Instead we get victimhood claims, whining and hypocrisy.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2014, 06:28:34 pm »
Or looking at it my way, unable to get the most votes, conservatives resort to their most oft complaint of being victims.

And the hypocrisy of chuckling with vigor, when Limbo urged "conservatives" to  meddle in democrat primaries -- "Operation Chaos.". Remember?

https://www.google.com/search?q=limbaugh+hillary+operation+chaos&oq=limbaugh+hillary+operation+chaos&gs_l=serp.12...14261.16021.0.42928.6.6.0.0.0.0.134.703.0j6.6.0.chm_pq_qw%2Chmrde%3D0%2Chmffs%3D10%2Chmffl%3D3%2Chmffmp%3D0-9...0...1.1.48.serp..5.1.134.wKpZG8omR90

The piece of the process that eludes true conservatives: Winning the most votes, plain and simple.

Or put another way, "By any means necessary!"

Seems to me I'v heard that somewhere before!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2014, 06:57:28 pm »

And it failed. Remember? No brokered convention, no prolonged or bruising primary battle, and Obama ended up so much more resilient he won election in 2008 AND, despite royally screwing up the country, got re-elected in 2012.

The whole premise operates on a legitimate election process, which is suspect, and an uncorrupted electorate, which is laughable.

Stalin would be proud.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2014, 07:06:02 pm »
Twit?   LOL!!

The Republican party favored Cochran because he will crush Childers.  McDaniel has more skeletons than a cemetery and would likely have lost to Childers.
For the Tea Party faction, winning general elections takes a backseat, to their obsessive quest to replace Republicans.

Their mission, strategy and tactics are not fully refined or properly focused.  In their frustration, you hear many of them now threatening to vote for democrats.

They would scold me, for hassling them. I have no respect for anybody that votes, or threatens to vote for democrats, plain  and simple.

In virtually EVERY contest, the Republican will be MORE conservative than the democrat.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2014, 08:23:39 pm »
For the Tea Party faction, winning general elections takes a backseat, to their obsessive quest to replace Republicans.

Their mission, strategy and tactics are not fully refined or properly focused.  In their frustration, you hear many of them now threatening to vote for democrats.

They would scold me, for hassling them. I have no respect for anybody that votes, or threatens to vote for democrats, plain  and simple.

In virtually EVERY contest, the Republican will be MORE conservative than the democrat.

If nothing else, so long as a republican, no matter how "liberal" can be whipped into staying with the GOP caucus and not pulling a Spectre and switching parties, that "liberal" republican still contributes to the nose count that determines which party controls each side of Congress.  And that is extremely important because the party that controls the Senate or the House gets to set the legislative agenda and, by and large, determine which bills come up for a vote and which do not.  That power, in turn, if used wisely, can mostly blunt the danger that a too-liberal republican will vote with the democrats all the time by preventing a vote on those controversial bills that the too-liberal republican is most likely to vote with the democrats on.

That this can be a vitally powerful tool has been demonstrated ad nauseam by Harry "tinpot dictator" Reid and his iron-fisted control over the Senate and its legislative agenda.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2014, 10:34:25 pm »

If nothing else, so long as a republican, no matter how "liberal" can be whipped into staying with the GOP caucus and not pulling a Spectre and switching parties, that "liberal" republican still contributes to the nose count that determines which party controls each side of Congress.  And that is extremely important because the party that controls the Senate or the House gets to set the legislative agenda and, by and large, determine which bills come up for a vote and which do not.  That power, in turn, if used wisely, can mostly blunt the danger that a too-liberal republican will vote with the democrats all the time by preventing a vote on those controversial bills that the too-liberal republican is most likely to vote with the democrats on.

That this can be a vitally powerful tool has been demonstrated ad nauseam by Harry "tinpot dictator" Reid and his iron-fisted control over the Senate and its legislative agenda.

Ordinarialy yes, I would agree with you. But the magnitude of what cockroach did is quaking across the country. This was no ordinary tactic, at least not by a Republican against another Republican.

No. This is exceptional. Thad has got to go. As his own Liberal-Democrat philosophy says, "by any means necessary".

Either you stand for something or you stand for nothing. There is no way people of good conscience can let this tactic and behavior stand. This was scummyest trick I have ever seen. He leveraged rules which were intended to depend on honor to subvert honor, and to win at all costs.

And anyway, he can always run again as a Liberal Democrat, you know, when he is 97 years old.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 10:35:10 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2014, 10:45:13 pm »
Another aspect of this is that what he did is a scarlet letter on his forehead. He made history and this kind of devious, underhanded tactic will always be known as getting cockroached.

So how effective could his political career be from here on out. He is a dead man politically. Who could ever trust this guy? or depend on anything he says?

He has no honor. He has no conscience. He has no soul.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Carling

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2014, 11:09:46 pm »
Cochran's tactics and smears of McDaniel are disgusting, and should not be supported by anyone who considers themselves anything other than a Democrat.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2014, 11:10:10 pm »
Another aspect of this is that what he did is a scarlet letter on his forehead. He made history and this kind of devious, underhanded tactic will always be known as getting cockroached.

So how effective could his political career be from here on out. He is a dead man politically. Who could ever trust this guy? or depend on anything he says?

He has no honor. He has no conscience. He has no soul.

Your hyperbole, in both of your posts, is breathtaking. 

Thad Cochran is the GOP nominee for Senate from Mississippi and will win the election.  He has no "scarlet letter" except to a few Tea Partiers.  Thad Cochran is not a high profile Republican, but he votes reliably conservative.  That's all any of us should expect of him.   He's a "dead man politically" only if you think a sitting Senator who wins a primary runoff  and will win the general election is finished in politics.

He might be finished in six years, but he's far from finished now.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2014, 11:13:35 pm »
Cochran's tactics and smears of McDaniel are disgusting, and should not be supported by anyone who considers themselves anything other than a Democrat.

So taking advantage of Mississippi Republican primary rules is "disgusting"?  And where did Cochran "smear" anybody?  He is not responsible for what outside groups do.

McDaniel got outhustled.  I've read today that the McDaniel campaign was totally unprepared for a runoff;   they thought they were going to win the primary outright.

I don't really give a damn who represents Mississippi in the Senate as long as it's a Republican.  You could put a fence around Mississippi and call it a zoo.

Offline Carling

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2014, 11:16:47 pm »
  And where did Cochran "smear" anybody?  He is not responsible for what outside groups do.

He took their money, so yes, he is responsible in my eyes.  I don't care about him legally bussing in black Democrats to vote; it's well within the rules.  I do think that McDaniel can run as a write-in candidate and make a convincing case to GOP voters in Mississippi.

Unlike you, I disdain smear tactics, no matter if done by the "GOPe," or the "Tea Party." 

I lost all respect for Thad Cochran, and I'm guessing many voters in MS feel the same way.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2014, 11:24:13 pm »
He took their money, so yes, he is responsible in my eyes.  I don't care about him legally bussing in black Democrats to vote; it's well within the rules.  I do think that McDaniel can run as a write-in candidate and make a convincing case to GOP voters in Mississippi.

Unlike you, I disdain smear tactics, no matter if done by the "GOPe," or the "Tea Party." 

I lost all respect for Thad Cochran, and I'm guessing many voters in MS feel the same way.

What "smear tactics"?  You never defined what you mean by that nor gave any examples.

McDaniel will get killed as a write-in candidate.  The consensus is that Cochran will win the general.  I'd bet some of those African-Americans who voted for him will vote for him again.   Childers brings NOTHING to the table.

Offline Carling

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2014, 11:33:16 pm »
What "smear tactics"?  You never defined what you mean by that nor gave any examples.

McDaniel will get killed as a write-in candidate.  The consensus is that Cochran will win the general.  I'd bet some of those African-Americans who voted for him will vote for him again.   Childers brings NOTHING to the table.

You're not being serious, are you?

http://twitchy.com/2014/06/24/ms-senate-primary-pro-cochran-ads-accuse-mcdaniel-tea-party-of-racism-pics-audio/

Oceander

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2014, 11:38:06 pm »

that's an interesting proposition:  if I get money from someone else I suddenly become responsible for whatever else that person happens to do?  A moment's reflection should point out how illogical that conclusion is:  if I got money from OJ Simpson just before he murdered Nicole, does that make me responsible for Nicole's murder?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2014, 11:39:38 pm »

Offline Carling

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2014, 11:42:58 pm »
More smear tactics on radio ads.  Cochran did not denounce any of this stuff.   :shrug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZzXi2PnGJs
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 11:44:17 pm by Carling »

Offline Carling

« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2014, 11:46:08 pm »
Cochran supported this mailer?  You know that for a fact?

He didn't denounce the mailer, which was sent to black communities prior to the run-off.  That's de facto support, IMO.  You can spin it anyway you want, and I tend to be anti-kooky Tea Party candidates.  In my eyes, Cochran is a piece of s**t who is a part of the problems facing this country.

When the going got tough, he acted like a Democrat by allowing surrogates to smear his opponent as a racist.

Offline Carling

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2014, 11:47:58 pm »

that's an interesting proposition:  if I get money from someone else I suddenly become responsible for whatever else that person happens to do?  A moment's reflection should point out how illogical that conclusion is:  if I got money from OJ Simpson just before he murdered Nicole, does that make me responsible for Nicole's murder?

Wouldn't the smart thing to do be to denounce these flyers and radio ads smearing your fellow GOP member as a racist?  How hard would it be to denounce OJ after his murders?  Most honorable people would, and did, that exact same thing. 

Silence is as bad as support.  I'd still respect Cochran had he blasted whoever was behind these mailers.  Instead, he sat in silence, and those votes put him over the top.  He's no better than a Charlie Crist.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 11:49:02 pm by Carling »

Offline Carling

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2014, 12:02:12 am »
Charles C. Johnson
‏@ChuckCJohnson
Friends I have the smoking gun that shows Haley Barbour & his Super PAC was behind racist anti-McDaniel material. It's coming... #mssen

Apparently Mark Levin, who usually I can't stand because of his anger, also has possession of a document proving Barbour's SuperPAC was behind the flyer and the ads.  Which basically means it was done with the support of Cochran's people...

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2014, 12:16:28 am »
He didn't denounce the mailer, which was sent to black communities prior to the run-off.  That's de facto support, IMO.  You can spin it anyway you want, and I tend to be anti-kooky Tea Party candidates.  In my eyes, Cochran is a piece of s**t who is a part of the problems facing this country.

When the going got tough, he acted like a Democrat by allowing surrogates to smear his opponent as a racist.

Candidates would be doing nothing BUT denouncing ads running in their names if they had to do that to every one.

Let me ask you a question:  Are any of the things the mailer accuses McDaniel of untrue? 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2014, 12:18:32 am »
Apparently Mark Levin, who usually I can't stand because of his anger, also has possession of a document proving Barbour's SuperPAC was behind the flyer and the ads.  Which basically means it was done with the support of Cochran's people...

Good.  Let him put it out there.  Levin is a big-mouthed bloviator, but if he has the proof, do it.  In fact, why hasn't he done it already?  Nobody's going to care in three or four days.