Author Topic: Tea Party topples Texas lt. gov.  (Read 972 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Tea Party topples Texas lt. gov.
« on: May 28, 2014, 03:32:36 am »
Tea Party topples Texas lt. gov.

May 27, 2014, 09:05 pm

By Cameron Joseph

Texas Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst (R) has lost his GOP primary, ending more than a decade in office.

The Associated Press has called the race for Texas state Sen. Dan Patrick (R), a hard-charging conservative who focused on illegal immigration. Patrick led Dewhurst by 64 percent to 36 percent with 9 percent of precincts reporting.

Dewhurst, a self-funding multi-millionaire, had finished well behind Patrick in the first round of voting two months ago. The race had gotten increasingly nasty in the closing weeks of the campaign, punctuated by the release of Patrick's mental health records.
The lieutenant governor, first elected in 2002, never really recovered from his hard-hitting primary loss to now-Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) two years ago, and was vulnerable to a challenge from the right.

Democrats are hopeful that their nominee, Texas state Sen. Leticia Van De Putte (D), will have a shot now against Patrick in the general election due to his hardline conservative views,. Though Democrats are optimistic about Van De Putte and gubernatorial nominee Wendy Davis (D), any statewide nominee for the party still has a steep climb in Texas.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/governor-races/207349-tea-party-topples-texas-lt-gov#ixzz32yfbPqKt
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

Re: Tea Party topples Texas lt. gov.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 03:42:21 am »
The race had gotten increasingly nasty in the closing weeks of the campaign, punctuated by the release of Patrick's mental health records.

As far as politicians go, it might not be such a bad idea to require candidates, at least candidates for statewide or federal office, to disclose their mental health records, and to undergo psychiatric examination.

Basically, the world can be sorted into two groups viz. mental health:  those who know they have mental issues and those who do not.  The former has a welcome degree of self-knowledge and something of a grasp on how to deal with their issues; the latter does not and therefore poses at least some risk to the rest of us should such a one get into office - Barack Obama being the poster child.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 03:47:21 am »
As far as politicians go, it might not be such a bad idea to require candidates, at least candidates for statewide or federal office, to disclose their mental health records, and to undergo psychiatric examination.

Basically, the world can be sorted into two groups viz. mental health:  those who know they have mental issues and those who do not.  The former has a welcome degree of self-knowledge and something of a grasp on how to deal with their issues; the latter does not and therefore poses at least some risk to the rest of us should such a one get into office - Barack Obama being the poster child.

Dan Patrick is such a loose canon, I fear he will help usher the Democrats back into Texas statewide office in 2018.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 03:49:50 am »
Dan Patrick is such a loose canon, I fear he will help usher the Democrats back into Texas statewide office in 2018.

I wasn't really commenting on the Texas politics - I know too little to say anything really intelligent but just enough to say a lot of stupid things - I was more sort of going for the tangential thing with a broader comment.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 05:43:54 am »

Well you can take another fear pill cause we got a sitting state senator as well!

RINO Bob Duell is HISTORY!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 05:48:52 am »

Dan has never made any secret about this! In fact he has spoken about it publicly many times both on and off the air. He truly is a stand up guy who says what he means and does what he says!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Carling

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 06:06:17 am »
Dan has never made any secret about this! In fact he has spoken about it publicly many times both on and off the air. He truly is a stand up guy who says what he means and does what he says!

So he admits he has a mental illness, and then basically says 'now that you know it, follow me, and I'll always make the best decision!"  Is that right?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 06:08:17 am by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

SPQR

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 06:12:56 am »
Would a violation of the HIPAA in play here?In 1996, HIPAA, the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act was passed by the US Congress. It is administered by the US Department of Health and Human Services and is intended to protect patients' medical records.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 06:15:17 am by Trigger »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 02:14:06 pm »
So he admits he has a mental illness, and then basically says 'now that you know it, follow me, and I'll always make the best decision!"  Is that right?

Not quite! What he says is that thirty years ago I battled with some mental issues, sought professional help, and was able to overcome them! If you are facing something like that in YOUR life I would urge you to do the same!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 02:14:54 pm »
Would a violation of the HIPAA in play here?In 1996, HIPAA, the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act was passed by the US Congress. It is administered by the US Department of Health and Human Services and is intended to protect patients' medical records.

One would definitely think so!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 03:13:29 pm »
Well you can take another fear pill cause we got a sitting state senator as well!

RINO Bob Duell is HISTORY!

State Senators are a dime a dozen.  But Patrick can do real harm, especially with his mouth.

Obviously, the Tea Party doesn't mind having an Attorney General who was censured LAST MONTH for breaking state securities' law.

Abbott's going to have to keep them both on a short leash.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

SPQR

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 11:09:49 pm »
One would definitely think so!

So therefore the person who leaked the records has committed a federal criminal act