Author Topic: UK - Local election results 2014 – live  (Read 633 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
UK - Local election results 2014 – live
« on: May 22, 2014, 08:45:05 pm »
I know it's the Guardian and very left leaning, but they do tend to do the tallys best and fastest.

For those who didn't know, today was our local council elections and our MEP (Member of the European Parliament) elections. The MEP votes will not be released until all countries have closed their polls on Sunday night. Council seat results will be updated as they come in, after the polls close at 22:00 BST.

Local council seats are far more volatile than MP's seats, and usually give a very good and accurate look at how the party in power is doing in the public eye.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/2014/may/22/local-election-results-2014-live?CMP=twt_gu
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 08:46:17 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: UK - Local election results 2014 – live
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 09:20:29 pm »
Wife has wandered down to watch the local count. Absolutely anyone may observe the count as it takes place, as long as they do not interfere with the poll workers. In our small ward, there are usually about a dozen observers.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 09:37:45 pm »
Good old George. Things are rarely boring when hes around, at least.

Say what you like about George Galloway, but it's never dull when he's in town. Today the Respect leader was back in Bradford on the top deck of his party's green battlebus, touring the city with a megaphone and a limitless supply of high volume rhetoric.

This afternoon Galloway retweeted a claim by @ukrespectparty claiming their bus had been "deliberately rammed" by a Labour councillor. A video posted by the party suggested a slightly different story: one car, apparently driven by a Labour supporter, reversed into a vehicle driven by one of the Respect faithful.

Police were called. Labour's spokesman in the region said later: "There was an RTA [road traffic accident] between a car being driven by a Labour supporter, and a Respect supporter's car behind him. They've swapped insurance details." The Labour driver was not a councillor, he added.

Galloway later claimed on Twitter that "New Labour in Bradford are out of control. ANOTHER incident: a Labour councillor allegedly assaulting 1 of our campaigners Police called." More details if we get them.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 10:14:44 pm »

Helen Pidd is in Rotherham, where things are also looking rosy for Ukip, she reports:

The ballot papers are still being verified at the Magna science centre
    in Rotherham but from what I've been able to see, Ukip are going to
    have a very good night.

Their biggest scalp could be Jahangir Akhtar, deputy leader of the council: I saw fewer crosses next to his name than his Ukip rival in the Rotherham West ward. But I may have seen an unrepresentative sample.

Akhtar is a controversial figure, having stepped down from the council last year following claims he knew about a relationship between a girl in care and a suspected child abuser (he denied the claims).

Earlier Ukip said they were hopeful of getting five seats: on the basis of what I've seen they may get quite a few more. But the night is young …

Gods, I hope not.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 10:22:38 pm »

The UK Elections blog reports the first result of the evening: it's a ward, not a full council, so sit back down on your sofas:

Pallion (Sunderland) Result: LAB 47.8% UKIP 30.1% CON 14.3% GRN 4.8% LDEM 3.1%

Labour is soooo screwed, if this is an early indication. Sunderland has been a Labour lock since the party existed. Conservatives did about as well as they always do there. No one up north really likes the Lib Dems - looks like they lost a percentage point or two to the Greens.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 01:39:57 am »
A quick round-up of gains and losses so far, nabbed off Emily Maitlis on the BBC:

Labour + 6 seats

Conservatives - 36 seats

Ukip + 43 seats

Lib Dems - 14 seats

Caution: there is a LONG way to go

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 02:44:22 am »
What does a strong UKIP showing bide for the UK, in your humble opinion?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 02:56:33 am »
They are currently up 55 seats.

Part of it is frustration with the main parties - they have all tacked to their base and it bothers people who are actually proud of the country as a whole. We are not talking rocket scientists here - your average UKIP voter is blue collar and being undercut by legal immigrants from the EU. Of course they want to protect their own livelihoods and none of the main parties are willing to do jack about that right now. Cameron promises a referendum in 2017. We have heard that promise at least 10 times before. Milliband refuses outright the notion of a referendum (typical leftist "we know best" stuff.) Clegg hasn't got a clue either way - he'll be toast as party leader by next week.

So people are voting with their feet. If UKIP was a one issue party - like the original TEA party - it'd not be a problem at all. Their biggest problem is a lot of the old BNP (our very racist Fascist party) somehow managed to get into positions with clout in the organization.

End result - I expect them to have a significant influence on local politics for the next two years, and pick up at least 5 seats in the European Parliament.

Edit to add - one of the very interesting things is at the moment there are 11 councils rated as no over all control, 7 more than last election.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 03:02:45 am by EC »

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 03:55:43 pm »
They are currently up 55 seats.

Part of it is frustration with the main parties - they have all tacked to their base and it bothers people who are actually proud of the country as a whole. We are not talking rocket scientists here - your average UKIP voter is blue collar and being undercut by legal immigrants from the EU. Of course they want to protect their own livelihoods and none of the main parties are willing to do jack about that right now. Cameron promises a referendum in 2017. We have heard that promise at least 10 times before. Milliband refuses outright the notion of a referendum (typical leftist "we know best" stuff.) Clegg hasn't got a clue either way - he'll be toast as party leader by next week.

So people are voting with their feet. If UKIP was a one issue party - like the original TEA party - it'd not be a problem at all. Their biggest problem is a lot of the old BNP (our very racist Fascist party) somehow managed to get into positions with clout in the organization.

End result - I expect them to have a significant influence on local politics for the next two years, and pick up at least 5 seats in the European Parliament.

Edit to add - one of the very interesting things is at the moment there are 11 councils rated as no over all control, 7 more than last election.

Will someone from the UKIP ever be Prime Minister? How does the UKIP feel about the special relationship with us??
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 04:31:25 pm »

Will someone from the UKIP ever be Prime Minister? How does the UKIP feel about the special relationship with us??

They are now at 145 seats, a gain of 127, mostly taken from Labour, by the looks of things. Conservative control of councils has dropped by 12 - expected for the party in power in an off year, but instead of shifting to outright control, these losses have nearly all gone to the category No Overall Control. There is still a majority party, but it's majority is not over 50%.

I seriously doubt UKIP will amount to much ever on the national stage, certainly not as far as becoming PM. They have too much to do to crack our first past the post system to ever really make it. UK politics is an odd thing - we tend to ignore national politics mostly (most wards are reliable votes for the respective parties), but local politics people get rabid over and are willing to experiment with.

As far as the special relationship goes - they are not exactly fond of it, seeing as it tends to get viewed here as decidedly one sided. They'd not scrap it or throw it away, but there would need to be a heck of a lot more persuasion involved. You saw the start of that last year with the Syrian red line thing, where the UK basically said to Obama - go ahead. We'll watch.