Author Topic: 'Did you enjoy having drinks on top of my brother's grave?' Sister of WTC victim lashes out at 9/11 Memorial cocktail party guests  (Read 5031 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Oh for God's sake!!  (that's a long "a" on "sake").

With all due respect,  that's ridiculous.  I suspect there are bars and restaurants and Japanese people who party in Nagasaki and Hiroshima, both of which were devastated by the bombs.

As Victor pointed out above, is it wrong for someone to have any kind of fun in a house in which someone was murdered? 

Most Irish have the proper attitude toward the dead.

Sean and Brendan were sitting at the bar and, after several pops, Sean said "Brendan, if I die first, could you pour a pint of McEwen's (Scotch) on me grave after I'm gone?"

Brendan looked up and said  "Sure, Sean, if I can pass it through me kidneys first."

You obviously have either missed my point or you're "probably a Redneck"!    :laugh:

I was picturing going over there on the anniversary date and make a public toast that it helped win the war.  You don't rub their faces in it.

Am quite aware there's a new city over that soil and life goes on.  It just wouldn't be a classy thing to do, IMO.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 03:50:37 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Carling

Great thread. I am however a little confused.

Those pool and barbecue parties over the Memorial Day weekend, are they a good thing or a bad thing?

Personally, I think having a kegger and BBQ in the middle of Arlington National Cemetery would be in poor taste, and could see how others could find it offensive.  Or taking a vacation to Normandy Beach and having a beach volleyball tournament on Memorial Day.  That's just me, though.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Online DCPatriot

Personally, I think having a kegger and BBQ in the middle of Arlington National Cemetery would be in poor taste, and could see how others could find it offensive.  Or taking a vacation to Normandy Beach and having a beach volleyball tournament on Memorial Day.  That's just me, though.

:beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

Scratching graffiti: excusable "grief" or vandalism?
Visitors scratch graffiti into 9/11 Memorial name plaques
By Philip Messing
May 26, 2014 | 10:22pm

It’s the graffiti of the grief-stricken.

Bereaved friends and family members are scratching personalized messages into the 152 bronze panels that list victims at the 9/11 Memorial Museum, sources told The Post.

While Port Authority police are compelled to file reports on the illegal “scratchiti,” no arrests have been made, and pursuing the mournful misdemeanors is not a high priority, sources said.

“Can you imagine the conflict a cop would feel about having to bust someone for leaving a personal message to honor a dead relative who was murdered at Ground Zero?” a law-enforcement source asked.

A PA spokesman couldn’t provide exact numbers of scratchiti incidents at the site, but sources said they have encountered roughly 40 anguished messages scratched into the bronze name plates.

“It happens, but not every day,” confirmed a groundskeeper who meticulously dusts the area each day.

The heavily secured memorial site is ringed with surveillance cameras, but law-enforcement officials have declined to pursue investigations based on possible footage of the vandals in action.

Cops have also opted not to try to identify the scratchers based on the names they put their messages next to.

There have been no reports of disrespectful scratchiti on the plates or traditional graffiti tags, sources said.

The heartbreaking messages of love, grief and remembrance are typically brief but sincere, according to the sources.

People scratch the notes in quickly in order to avoid detection by security staffers.

“Love4Ever,” read one message next to the name of a 9/11 victim.

“There have been instances when scratches have been discovered on the bronze panels of the memorial,” said Michael Frazier, a spokesman for the National September 11th Memorial & Museum. “Our staff works very hard to address them immediately.

“The panels are cared for by hand and with a deep sense of responsibility and sensitivity by our dedicated staff,” he said.

Memorial-site staffers who discover the messages are required to contact PAPD authorities, who then fill out a criminal mischief report, sources said.

Maintenance workers are then dispatched to quickly reapply a coat of “black patina” to the plates to get rid of the scratchiti and restore the original shine.

Deeper cuts require more complicated rehabilitation jobs, the sources said.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Scratching graffiti: excusable "grief" or vandalism?

You know, this is why I think government ought to just get out of the memorial business and leave it to the citizens.  When the 9/11 crash site in Pennsylvania was a makeshift folk art mish mash of pictures and genuine, heart-felt expression it was way, way better than it is now.  The same is true for the memorial that was at the twin towers.  Government only gets involved in these things because politicians want to put feathers in their caps, and provide jobs for architects and construction workers.  But left on their own, people will do very amazing things that may not look "professional" but have much more emotional impact.

Besides, if something is worth remembering, there will be no stopping people from leaving remembrances.  Look at all those crosses we see by the highways every day.