Author Topic: The GOP Has Finally Found a Way to Defeat the Tea Party  (Read 4874 times)

Offline evadR

Re: The GOP Has Finally Found a Way to Defeat the Tea Party
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2014, 03:00:03 pm »
good points, worth considering.
I will look at those links.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2014, 03:12:31 pm »
Luis....Luis....Luis.

Sitting here in amazement that somebody with the wit and intellect you possess, can appear so naive.  Thought only women did that to us.  LOL!

In the digital world it's not inconceivable that machines can be rigged to the point that at regular patterns, votes can be assigned to another candidate.

There's no effing way 5 MILLION people stayed home in spite, having lived through sh*t for 4 years already.  NONE.

Any Christian Democrat or Republican can plainly see that Romney is the kind of man any boy would want to grow up to be....and any old man wished he had been.   Especially when held up to Barack Hussein Obama.

Might not have a degree in political science, but I have a Master's in common sense.   :patriot:

Yet, they appeared to have done just that.

You assume that every voter has the same determination, degree of political awareness and acumen that we have.

The sad reality is that we are the minority, and the majority is more aware of what goes on in the multiple Kardashian households than in DC.

Five million people stayed home because, to paraphrase B.B. King... the thrill was gone.

Electing a black president for the first time was cool, the second tie was boring already.

Never underestimate the degree of American voter apathy out there.

Think about this.

Congress has an approval rating of @13%.

Most incumbents in Congress will be re-elected.

Hmmmm...
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2014, 03:36:43 pm »
Luis....Luis....Luis.

Sitting here in amazement that somebody with the wit and intellect you possess, can appear so naive.  Thought only women did that to us.  LOL!

In the digital world it's not inconceivable that machines can be rigged to the point that at regular patterns, votes can be assigned to another candidate.

There's no effing way 5 MILLION people stayed home in spite, having lived through sh*t for 4 years already.  NONE.

Any Christian Democrat or Republican can plainly see that Romney is the kind of man any boy would want to grow up to be....and any old man wished he had been.   Especially when held up to Barack Hussein Obama.

Might not have a degree in political science, but I have a Master's in common sense.   :patriot:

BTW..

The naivete would then be the idea that voting at all would make a difference.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline evadR

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2014, 03:40:28 pm »
"There's no effing way 5 MILLION people stayed home in spite, having lived through sh*t for 4 years already.  NONE."

WORD!!

And, although I don't have a whole lot of respect for the average republican voter, I'm not ready to relegate them to the status of LIVs.

Offline evadR

« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2014, 03:51:16 pm »
Probably doesn't happen often but, It Does Happen:

Elections Won By One Vote

The races won by a single vote, in addition to the new 1910 Congressional election in New York, according to Mulligan and Hunter, were:

a 1982 state House election in Maine in which the victor won 1,387 votes to the loser’s 1,386 votes
a 1982 state Senate race in Massachusetts in which the victor won 5,352 votes to the loser’s 5,351; a subsequent recount late found wider margin
a 1980 state House race in Utah in which the victor won 1,931 votes to the loser’s 1,930 votes
a 1978 state Senate race in North Dakota in which the victor won 2,459 votes to the loser’s 2,458 votes; a subsequent recount found the margin to be six votes
a 1970 state House race in Rhode Island in which the victor won 1,760 votes to the loser’s 1,759
a 1970 state House race in Missouri in which the victor won 4,819 votes to the loser’s 4,818 votes
and a 1968 state House race in Wisconsin in which the victor won 6,522 votes to the loser’s 6,521 votes; a subsequent recount found the margin to be two votes, not one.
A 1978 race for Rhode Island state Senate was tied at 4,110 votes, and decided by a second runoff election. So was a 1980 race for New Mexico state House, at 2,327 votes for each candidate.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2014, 03:55:36 pm »
"There's no effing way 5 MILLION people stayed home in spite, having lived through sh*t for 4 years already.  NONE."

WORD!!

And, although I don't have a whole lot of respect for the average republican voter, I'm not ready to relegate them to the status of LIVs.

I don't see a dime's worth of difference between millions staying home in 2012, and millions voting for Perot 20 years earlier.

Offline evadR

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2014, 04:00:18 pm »
...anyway, even a Maryland voter like myself who feels totally disenfranchised, has never failed to vote. Probably naive to think it means anything but I'd rather go down fighting.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2014, 04:01:49 pm »
...anyway, even a Maryland voter like myself who feels totally disenfranchised, has never failed to vote. Probably naive to think it means anything but I'd rather go down fighting.

And that's the only way to go.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2014, 04:04:46 pm »

Maryland!

I was up there last month.

EAT BERTHA'S MUSSELS!

Offline evadR

« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2014, 04:06:47 pm »
I don't see a dime's worth of difference between millions staying home in 2012, and millions voting for Perot 20 years earlier.
Perot was the quintessential example of democrat triangulation. The basic strategy has reared it's ugly head ever since.
Dims pull every trick in the book to split the republican vote, and it works, and they know it works.
But, I see we're in a pointless cycle of difference of opinion so, I'll back out.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2014, 04:19:55 pm »
Perot was the quintessential example of democrat triangulation. The basic strategy has reared it's ugly head ever since.
Dims pull every trick in the book to split the republican vote, and it works, and they know it works.
But, I see we're in a pointless cycle of difference of opinion so, I'll back out.

I think the Republicans are more than capable of conducting a circular firing squad.  Democrats can occasionally assist with crossover voting in primaries, but Perot "stole" votes away from both parties relatively equally, so I'm not sure that Clinton gained much, though the debate still goes on after more than 20 years.  In 2012 the Dems didn't have to do anything until Romney was last man standing, and even then, his primary opponents did most of the work for them.  Both parties seem to have the same ideas for 2016.  **nononono*
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2014, 04:45:24 pm »
Luis....Luis....Luis.

Exactly, DC, exactly.  I think that even a HS diploma in common sense is enough.

There is no reasonable way to explain that all of the people thoroughly disgusted in 2010 (enough to the point of providing the largest Republican takeover in many decades, especially if you look at the governorships, and state & local elections), all decided it was much better in 2012.  No.  In fact, there were even more people even more thoroughly disgusted in 2012 than 2010 (as logic and reality would dictate).  They didn't stay home because they didn't want to vote for a Mormon.  They would have voted for a Martian if they had to.  I also know what I saw, both with my own eyes and from reports of family members and associates all across the country -- Romney-Ryan were SRO, people were lined up for blocks in parking lots all over just to hear the PA or get a glimpse of the rally on a jumbotron.  All over the country (including many swing states), people were lining up HOURS before the rallies.  Contrast that to the widely reported (at least in the alternative media) fact that they had to pay people with food and vouchers and bus them into to the incumbent's rallies.  Yup, I am supposed to believe that they all just decided to stay home.  lol

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2014, 04:52:03 pm »
Exactly, DC, exactly.  I think that even a HS diploma in common sense is enough.

There is no reasonable way to explain that all of the people thoroughly disgusted in 2010 (enough to the point of providing the largest Republican takeover in many decades, especially if you look at the governorships, and state & local elections), all decided it was much better in 2012.  No.  In fact, there were even more people even more thoroughly disgusted in 2012 than 2010 (as logic and reality would dictate).  They didn't stay home because they didn't want to vote for a Mormon.  They would have voted for a Martian if they had to.  I also know what I saw, both with my own eyes and from reports of family members and associates all across the country -- Romney-Ryan were SRO, people were lined up for blocks in parking lots all over just to hear the PA or get a glimpse of the rally on a jumbotron.  All over the country (including many swing states), people were lining up HOURS before the rallies.  Contrast that to the widely reported (at least in the alternative media) fact that they had to pay people with food and vouchers and bus them into to the incumbent's rallies.  Yup, I am supposed to believe that they all just decided to stay home.  lol

There is a vast sea of difference between "no reasonable way" and "no way that I will ever accept".

The later has been proclaimed by more than a few times on this thread.

We should at least try and remain generally honest about where we stand.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 04:53:43 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2014, 04:52:41 pm »

WORD!!

WORD is right!!  In 2012 there were far more utterly DISGUSTED voters than 2010, it took a bit longer for some.

Don't ask me to believe, not for a moment, that the 2010 voters changed their minds.....  since it has all been going DOWNHILL bigtime since 2008, there will be more and more voters thoroughly disgusted in 2014 as well (ever take a gander at the comments at any of the mainstream media sites??).  That is a big reason as to why we are led to expect a big GOP gain in 2014.  So if it doesn't happen, are we supposed to believe once again that the GOP voters just decided to stay home??  Really??

And yes, the implications of no longer having open and legitimate elections in this country for all intents and purposes is a huge bitter pill to swallow.  And that is precisely why so many will continue to scurry around trying to "explain" it for themselves and any that will listen....  We all know that it is much more soothing to find an excuse for something than to face the reality of what it is; and the bigger the pain, the more the excuses will flow.  Sadly, it is just a big part of human nature.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2014, 04:54:01 pm »
There is a vast sea of difference between "no reasonable way" and "no way that I will accept".

The later has been proclaimed by more than a few times on this thread.

For me Luis, it is both.  To use the vernacular, "No F'ing way!!"  lol

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2014, 04:58:44 pm »
For me Luis, it is both.  To use the vernacular, "No F'ing way!!"  lol

If they can get away with voter fraud of the magnitude that you're all suggesting with complete impunity, then we may as well all shut down sites like these and stop arguing about whether this candidate or that candidate is better than the candidate from the opposing party. May as well stop voting too.

They won.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2014, 05:14:41 pm »
If they can get away with voter fraud of the magnitude that you're all suggesting with complete impunity, then we may as well all shut down sites like these and stop arguing about whether this candidate or that candidate is better than the candidate from the opposing party. May as well stop voting too.

They won.

Yes, pretty much.  For me personally, I find reading and posting on occasion to be entertaining.  I like to follow Sports (as a wonderful distraction!!), and enjoy a lot of other things in life, but there is still some attraction for me to congregate a bit online with people that are, at least generally, of a like mind and interact a bit.

I would suppose that a careful (or even casual) reader of my comments could very readily figure out that I am not of the mind that getting the "GOP" in charge of anything is going to amount to making a hill of beans of a difference.  I just mentioned to my dearest soul this morning, the words of an old Pastor friend of mine, during one of our last phone conversations, "The rear wheels of the bus have already lost contact with the pavement....  the bus is for all intents and purposes already over the cliff...  it is just a matter of how long it will take until it hits the bottom of the ravine and comes to rest...."

So, we try to stay aware, keep our eyes and ears open, try to help others understand more things as occasions permit, try to be prepared to the best of our abilities to weather the impending storms, and above all, try to keep "our eyes on the prize."  We often speak about the fact that we need to keep in the forefront of our minds how the events and circumstances of this natural realm are all fleeting and a mere speck of time when contrasted to the whole of eternity.  We are blessed to know that we have our names written indelibly in the Lamb's Book of Life, and pray each day that we can be of help, in whatever way possible, to help others around us accept the gift of eternal Salvation as well.  Beyond that, there isn't a whole heck of a lot that we can do for the most part, except to try to enjoy our lives to the best of our abilities, and play whatever small role that we may be blessed to have for others in the same regard.

(That's why you won't find me very often amongst the group of the constant arguers or debaters.  I say my piece, state my opinion, maybe provide a link to something I find useful now and then;  every one is free to accept it or not, I really don't mind too much either way.   :shrug:)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2014, 05:24:03 pm »

They won.

I keep saying. There is a simple and effective way of preventing (or at least reducing) voter fraud. We do it as a matter of course here. You have your polling card and you are allocated a local polling station. That is the only place you may vote, and you confirm your name and address to the poll workers BEFORE you vote, either by showing the card or your driving license. Your name is then crossed off the list. If you requested a postal vote - your name is already crossed off. You simply can not vote in person. If you failed to send in the postal vote - tough. Organize yourself better next time.
Since the list is in address order, it becomes pretty damned obvious when you have 10 adults registered to vote in a two bedroom house. Throw in the fact that your property tax (we call it Council Tax) is partly based on the number of occupants and much of the incentive to rig the vote is gone. We don't have the problem of "missing" military votes - any active duty member of the military is quite simply not permitted to vote. It's one of the things we give up to serve.

If Afghans and Iraqis can run legit elections - why the hell can't the USA?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2014, 05:24:59 pm »
WORD is right!!  In 2012 there were far more utterly DISGUSTED voters than 2010, it took a bit longer for some.

Don't ask me to believe, not for a moment, that the 2010 voters changed their minds.....  since it has all been going DOWNHILL bigtime since 2008, there will be more and more voters thoroughly disgusted in 2014 as well (ever take a gander at the comments at any of the mainstream media sites??).  That is a big reason as to why we are led to expect a big GOP gain in 2014.  So if it doesn't happen, are we supposed to believe once again that the GOP voters just decided to stay home??  Really??

2010 GOP voters voted in 2012.  They were just dwarfed by LIVs in 2012.  About 90 million votes were cast in 2010.  131 million in 2012.

As far as common sense goes folks, which candidate would shave moderate votes from the rats?  Maverick McCain or Rich Romney?  2012 Romney barely added votes to the GOP totals over McCain in 2008 even though the voting age population increased.  The GOP will do well in 2014 because it is a midterm election.  2016 will be about personalities not parties.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2014, 05:34:11 pm »
I keep saying. There is a simple and effective way of preventing (or at least reducing) voter fraud. We do it as a matter of course here. You have your polling card and you are allocated a local polling station. That is the only place you may vote, and you confirm your name and address to the poll workers BEFORE you vote, either by showing the card or your driving license. Your name is then crossed off the list. If you requested a postal vote - your name is already crossed off. You simply can not vote in person. If you failed to send in the postal vote - tough. Organize yourself better next time.
Since the list is in address order, it becomes pretty damned obvious when you have 10 adults registered to vote in a two bedroom house. Throw in the fact that your property tax (we call it Council Tax) is partly based on the number of occupants and much of the incentive to rig the vote is gone. We don't have the problem of "missing" military votes - any active duty member of the military is quite simply not permitted to vote. It's one of the things we give up to serve.

If Afghans and Iraqis can run legit elections - why the hell can't the USA?

Not if you listen to DC.

The fraud is conducted after the actual votes are cast.

They won.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2014, 05:41:31 pm »
Not if you listen to DC.

The fraud is conducted after the actual votes are cast.

They won.

Forgot to mention - we also only do pen and paper votes, And absolutely anyone can watch the counting - which is done in the same voting station your vote is cast in. I've been a poll station volunteer for a couple of elections. It's knackering - 6 AM to roughly midnight (ours is a small ward). The polls close at 22:00, then the counting starts.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2014, 05:51:15 pm »
In 2012 the democrat incumbent with a horrible record received roughly 8 million less votes than he did in 2008.

Our guy got roughly 3 million less votes than the terrible 2008 candidate for our side did  in 2008

We still loose by nearly 2 million votes.

WHY did that happen especially in view of what had happened in the 2010 midterms?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2014, 06:17:24 pm »
In 2012 the democrat incumbent with a horrible record received roughly 8 million less votes than he did in 2008.

Our guy got roughly 3 million less votes than the terrible 2008 candidate for our side did  in 2008

We still loose by nearly 2 million votes.

WHY did that happen especially in view of what had happened in the 2010 midterms?

For the very same reason that Peyton Manning and the Broncos got their asses handed to them by the Seattle Seahawks. 

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2014, 06:18:09 pm »
For the very same reason that Peyton Manning and the Broncos got their asses handed to them by the Seattle Seahawks.
The fact that he can't lead a football team in cold weather seems to be a non sequitur here.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2014, 06:29:50 pm »
The fact that he can't lead a football team in cold weather seems to be a non sequitur here.

I don't think that was Manning's first game in cold weather.

It's a perfect example.

It's an example that the only thing that matters is how you perform on the day when the score is settled and the winner decided. Every record that Manning broke prior to the SB didn't matter.

Romney's project ORCA was an unmitigated disaster, and Obama's ground game was the better game.