Author Topic: Sarah Palin: ‘Waterboarding is how we’d baptize terrorists’ in her administration  (Read 13143 times)

Offline Carling

It's all very Elmer Gantry.

Yes, you went there.  I hope others who read your post understand the full meaning of why you posted it.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Online Lando Lincoln

Look!  There goes a fire truck!
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Look!  There goes a fire truck!

You're the best.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online andy58-in-nh

It's all very Elmer Gantry.

I understand the reference, but I'm not certain it is applicable to Sarah Palin.

If one is to assert that she has sometimes indulged in shameless self-promotion, you'll get no argument from me. However, to suggest by way of allegorical simile that Ms. Palin is also a hypocrite and a fraud... is a step over the line of what can be demonstrably proven by reliance on fact. There has been nothing in her personal life that suggests as much; if there were, it would by now have been revealed by the ravenous media.

I would offer as an alternative observation that Ms. Palin is at her best when she promotes the ideals of human liberty and free enterprise, and rather at her worst when she shines the spotlight on her own home-bottled remedy of a personality.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
I understand the reference, but I'm not certain it is applicable to Sarah Palin.

If one is to assert that she has sometimes indulged in shameless self-promotion, you'll get no argument from me. However, to suggest by way of allegorical simile that Ms. Palin is also a hypocrite and a fraud... is a step over the line of what can be demonstrably proven by reliance on fact. There has been nothing in her personal life that suggests as much; if there were, it would by now have been revealed by the ravenous media.

I would offer as an alternative observation that Ms. Palin is at her best when she promotes the ideals of human liberty and free enterprise, and rather at her worst when she shines the spotlight on her own home-bottled remedy of a personality.

Her reaction to the reaction to her statement is disturbing, and very Obamaesque in nature.

From my perspective, the most objectionable part of her statement was the mockery of the ritual of baptism. Torturing terrorists doesn't bother me.

Instead of acknowledging that perhaps she should have chosen her metaphors a little more carefully, she instead calls me a "wuss" and claims that I am soft on terrorism.

She stuck her foot in her mouth, then doubled down on it.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online andy58-in-nh

Her reaction to the reaction to her statement is disturbing, and very Obamaesque in nature.

From my perspective, the most objectionable part of her statement was the mockery of the ritual of baptism. Torturing terrorists doesn't bother me.

Instead of acknowledging that perhaps she should have chosen her metaphors a little more carefully, she instead calls me a "wuss" and claims that I am soft on terrorism.

I was unaware that Sarah Palin was referring to you personally, when she employed the "W" word.

A number of prominent Christians have objected publicly to her baptismal analogy, as well they might.

It was characteristically careless of her, even if one believes that terrorists ought not be the subject of sympathy for being made to endure a treatment that is routinely used in training our own special forces.

The woman frustrates the heck out of me: she's on the right side of so many issues of import, but simply cannot resist the urge to open her mouth without first engaging her cerebellum.

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

We got that YOU were offended Luis! You've said that many times now on this one thread! And I doubt seriously that she was speaking to you personally. In fact, I seriously doubt that she even knows who you are.

Sarah has just as much a right to express her opinions as anyone else in this country!

And just so you know, I happen to agree with what she said BOTH times!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline happyg

I agree with her, too, bigun.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
We got that YOU were offended Luis! You've said that many times now on this one thread! And I doubt seriously that she was speaking to you personally. In fact, I seriously doubt that she even knows who you are.

Sarah has just as much a right to express her opinions as anyone else in this country!

And just so you know, I happen to agree with what she said BOTH times!

Bigun.

I really think that you're a good guy. In fact, I have no doubt that you are.

But I think it is our best interest that we don't communicate in this forum any more.

It's not you... it's me.

Online Lando Lincoln

I agree with you Andy regarding her conviction and sentiment.  I believe she believes what she says.  I also happen to agree with most of those sentiments.  So by extension, I agree with her supporters - but only to a point.

Why?

Because I believe she is marketing a brand.  A brand that has worked well for her and I admire her for it.  I wish I could be in such a position.  But many are buying a product beyond what is being sold.  My view - she has no intention of ever running for office again.

Because her pronouncements are simply that - one-liners and cliché.  Despite being right in concept, she has the depth of a wet sidewalk.  She does not dwell on the intricacies of policy.  She would never dare to sit on a serious panel of pundits and go toe-to-toe.  Instead she provides commentary on Hannity.  Which... is... fine!!  It has its place but I will not elevate her to a status that I simply do not believe is warranted.

And yes, because she used an inappropriate metaphor, failed to recognize it, and failed to correct it.

This thread has had many meanderings - some of it very interesting and eye-opening.  I have such respect for the service people here. But when it comes to Sarah, in most cases we are arguing the same thing but in incongruent ways.  Her proponents argue that they agree with her while assuming her detractors do not.  That is wrong.  As a "detractor" myself I can say I agree with most of her sentiments - yes, I do.  But, I accept that she is shilling her brand (which is fine).  With that said, I don't like her style or her depth.  That she hasn't thus far recognized that some of her followers respect the word "baptism" enough to call her on it, is indicative of that shallowness. 

Respectfully to all, I'm moving on.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 03:19:14 pm by Lando Lincoln »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
I was unaware that Sarah Palin was referring to you personally, when she employed the "W" word.

A number of prominent Christians have objected publicly to her baptismal analogy, as well they might.

It was characteristically careless of her, even if one believes that terrorists ought not be the subject of sympathy for being made to endure a treatment that is routinely used in training our own special forces.

The woman frustrates the heck out of me: she's on the right side of so many issues of import, but simply cannot resist the urge to open her mouth without first engaging her cerebellum.

The only way that a person can be insulted is individually.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The only way that a person can be insulted is individually.

The only way a person can be insulted is if they accept the insult.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
I agree with you Andy regarding her conviction and sentiment.  I believe she believes what she says.  I also happen to agree with most of those sentiments.  So by extension, I agree with her supporters - but only to a point.

Why?

Because I believe she is marketing a brand.  A brand that has worked well for her and I admire her for it.  I wish I could be in such a position.  But many are buying a product beyond what is being sold.  My view - she has no intention of ever running for office again.

Because her pronouncements are simply that - one-liners and cliché.  Despite being right in concept, she has the depth of a wet sidewalk.  She does not dwell on the intricacies of policy.  She would never dare to sit on a serious panel of pundits and go toe-to-toe.  Instead she provides commentary on Hannity.  Which... is... fine!!  It has its place but I will not elevate her to a status that I simply do not believe is warranted.

And yes, because she used an inappropriate metaphor, failed to recognize it, and failed to correct it.

This thread has had many meanderings - some of it very interesting and eye-opening.  I have such respect for the service people here. But when it comes to Sarah, in most cases we are arguing the same thing but in incongruent ways.  Her proponents argue that they agree with her while assuming her detractors do not.  That is wrong.  As a "detractor" myself I can say I agree with most of her sentiments - yes, I do.  But, I accept that she is shilling her brand (which is fine).  With that said, I don't like her style or her depth.  That she hasn't thus far recognized that some of her followers respect the word "baptism" enough to call her on it, is indicative of that shallowness. 

Respectfully to all, I'm moving on.

I know that you're leaving this conversation, your insights have made the thread and the discussion incredibly informative and actually fun.

One last observation... a parting shot, if I may.

Everything that Palin does right now, she does as a "one heart beat away from the Presidency" historical figure.

She was the first Alaskan on any national ticket, and the first female to run for the VP slot for the GOP. She needs to respect both those firsts.

She is what the DNC will hold up as an example of the type of people that the GOP is willing to put at that "one-heartbeat-away" position for many years coming.

She paints all GOP women with every colorful stroke of her self-promoting "folkisms" and every "poke-the-bear" statement she makes.

Before she was a commentator on Hannity, she was a Vice Presidential candidate, and the ONLY reason that she's a commentator on Hannity is because she was a Vice Presidential candidate.

She needs to be more respectful of her place in the history of politics in the United States, and act (and speak) accordingly.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
The only way a person can be insulted is if they accept the insult.

You insult my religion, then I accept the insult.

I'm very jihadish about that.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 03:39:28 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline MACVSOG68

Lando Wrote:
"Because her pronouncements are simply that - one-liners and cliché.  Despite being right in concept, she has the depth of a wet sidewalk.  She does not dwell on the intricacies of policy.  She would never dare to sit on a serious panel of pundits and go toe-to-toe.  Instead she provides commentary on Hannity.  Which... is... fine!!  It has its place but I will not elevate her to a status that I simply do not believe is warranted".

Very well said Lando.  I do find theads like this a lot less hostile in general than I remember from a few years back.  What hasn't changed about Palin is the nature of her supporters and critics.  She spits fire and draws fire, and can really get a favorable audience cranked up in a hurry.  Hopefully though she's not still chumming for elective support with all that red meat she's dumping in the water.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
SARAH PALIN: Hammers “WUSSES” Crying About Her “Waterboarding Terrorists” Comment

“Actions to stop terrorists who’d utterly annihilate America and delight in massacring our innocent children? Darn right I’d do whatever it takes to foil their murderous jihadist plots – including waterboarding. Whatever one thinks of my one-liner at the NRA rally about treating evil terrorists the way they deserve to be treated to prevent the death of innocent people, it’s utterly absurd for MSNBC to suggest that I could put our beloved troops in harm’s way, but we’ve come to expect the absurd from that failing network.

If you want to talk about what really harms our troops, let’s talk about politicians who gut our military’s budgets, or a president whose skewed budgetary priorities slash military benefits, or an administration that puts our vets on endless waiting lists for care that comes too late to help those who’ve paid the price for our freedom, or those who break bread with those who think it makes no difference how our military heroes died in Benghazi or anywhere else trying to protect America. Those actions are a heck of a lot more harmful than declaring an appropriate message our enemies should receive. If some overly sensitive wusses took offense, remember the First Amendment doesn’t give you a right not to be offended.

Perhaps hypocritical folks who only want Freedom of Speech to apply to those who agree with their liberal agenda might want to consider that the evil terrorists who were the brunt of my one-liner would be the first to strip away ALL our rights if given the chance. That’s why we do whatever we can to prevent them from killing innocent people. And for that, we should NEVER apologize. Good Lord, critics… buck up or stay in the truck. And if you love freedom, thank our troops! Thank our vets! And thank those who have the brains to support them and the guts to defend what they have earned!”

- Sarah Palin

Read more at http://clashdaily.com/2014/05/sarah-palin-hammers-wusses-crying-waterboarding-terrorists-comment/#A2YVxhD1MdWxk0bC.99

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Freedom of speech translating to freedom of criticism from the exercise of your freedom of speech only makes sense to abject morons.

Your freedom to say something moronic and insult people who hold the rite of baptism as one of the sacred tenets of their religion is your own, but it is my right to exercise my own freedom of speech and call you out on the fact that you cheapened one of the tenets of my religions in order to make a sound bite and get some attention from the media.

You think we should torture terrorists?

Go right ahead... I'm with you. I'll hold one down while you work him over.

Leave my religion out of your sound bites.