Author Topic:  (Read 10598 times)

Offline Carling

« Reply #200 on: May 05, 2014, 02:51:00 AM »
It's all very Elmer Gantry.

Yes, you went there.  I hope others who read your post understand the full meaning of why you posted it.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #201 on: May 05, 2014, 07:15:06 AM »
Look!  There goes a fire truck!
For the progressive, there is very little to love about the United States. Washington, Jefferson, Madison? A bunch of rotten slaveholders, hypocrites, and cowards even when their hearts were in the right places. The Declaration of Independence? A manifesto for the propertied classes. The Constitution? An artifact of sexism and white supremacy. The sacrifices in the great wars of the 20th century? Feeding the poor and the disenfranchised into the meat-grinder of imperialism. The gifts of Carnegie, Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, Morgan, Astor? Blood money from self-aggrandizing robber barons. Nat Rev

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #202 on: May 05, 2014, 07:33:26 AM »
Look!  There goes a fire truck!

You're the best.
�[Euthanasia] is what any State medical service has sooner or later got to face. If you are going to be kept alive in institutions run by and paid for by the State, you must accept the State�s right to economize when necessary �� The Ministry of Fear by Graham Green (New York: Penguin Books [1943] 2005, p. 165).

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #203 on: May 05, 2014, 08:42:50 AM »
It's all very Elmer Gantry.

I understand the reference, but I'm not certain it is applicable to Sarah Palin.

If one is to assert that she has sometimes indulged in shameless self-promotion, you'll get no argument from me. However, to suggest by way of allegorical simile that Ms. Palin is also a hypocrite and a fraud... is a step over the line of what can be demonstrably proven by reliance on fact. There has been nothing in her personal life that suggests as much; if there were, it would by now have been revealed by the ravenous media.

I would offer as an alternative observation that Ms. Palin is at her best when she promotes the ideals of human liberty and free enterprise, and rather at her worst when she shines the spotlight on her own home-bottled remedy of a personality.
To hell with every single one of these bastards who are creating a moral permission slip for anarchists and other criminals and thugs to destroy our country as we know it.

- Rich Lowry, National Review

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #204 on: May 05, 2014, 08:55:25 AM »
I understand the reference, but I'm not certain it is applicable to Sarah Palin.

If one is to assert that she has sometimes indulged in shameless self-promotion, you'll get no argument from me. However, to suggest by way of allegorical simile that Ms. Palin is also a hypocrite and a fraud... is a step over the line of what can be demonstrably proven by reliance on fact. There has been nothing in her personal life that suggests as much; if there were, it would by now have been revealed by the ravenous media.

I would offer as an alternative observation that Ms. Palin is at her best when she promotes the ideals of human liberty and free enterprise, and rather at her worst when she shines the spotlight on her own home-bottled remedy of a personality.

Her reaction to the reaction to her statement is disturbing, and very Obamaesque in nature.

From my perspective, the most objectionable part of her statement was the mockery of the ritual of baptism. Torturing terrorists doesn't bother me.

Instead of acknowledging that perhaps she should have chosen her metaphors a little more carefully, she instead calls me a "wuss" and claims that I am soft on terrorism.

She stuck her foot in her mouth, then doubled down on it.
�[Euthanasia] is what any State medical service has sooner or later got to face. If you are going to be kept alive in institutions run by and paid for by the State, you must accept the State�s right to economize when necessary �� The Ministry of Fear by Graham Green (New York: Penguin Books [1943] 2005, p. 165).

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #205 on: May 05, 2014, 09:23:05 AM »
Her reaction to the reaction to her statement is disturbing, and very Obamaesque in nature.

From my perspective, the most objectionable part of her statement was the mockery of the ritual of baptism. Torturing terrorists doesn't bother me.

Instead of acknowledging that perhaps she should have chosen her metaphors a little more carefully, she instead calls me a "wuss" and claims that I am soft on terrorism.

I was unaware that Sarah Palin was referring to you personally, when she employed the "W" word.

A number of prominent Christians have objected publicly to her baptismal analogy, as well they might.

It was characteristically careless of her, even if one believes that terrorists ought not be the subject of sympathy for being made to endure a treatment that is routinely used in training our own special forces.

The woman frustrates the heck out of me: she's on the right side of so many issues of import, but simply cannot resist the urge to open her mouth without first engaging her cerebellum.

To hell with every single one of these bastards who are creating a moral permission slip for anarchists and other criminals and thugs to destroy our country as we know it.

- Rich Lowry, National Review

Online Bigun

• The income tax: Root of all evil!
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #206 on: May 05, 2014, 09:29:07 AM »

We got that YOU were offended Luis! You've said that many times now on this one thread! And I doubt seriously that she was speaking to you personally. In fact, I seriously doubt that she even knows who you are.

Sarah has just as much a right to express her opinions as anyone else in this country!

And just so you know, I happen to agree with what she said BOTH times!

Offline happyg

« Reply #207 on: May 05, 2014, 10:00:07 AM »
I agree with her, too, bigun.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #208 on: May 05, 2014, 10:15:23 AM »
We got that YOU were offended Luis! You've said that many times now on this one thread! And I doubt seriously that she was speaking to you personally. In fact, I seriously doubt that she even knows who you are.

Sarah has just as much a right to express her opinions as anyone else in this country!

And just so you know, I happen to agree with what she said BOTH times!

Bigun.

I really think that you're a good guy. In fact, I have no doubt that you are.

But I think it is our best interest that we don't communicate in this forum any more.

It's not you... it's me.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #209 on: May 05, 2014, 10:56:45 AM »
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 11:19:14 AM by Lando Lincoln »
For the progressive, there is very little to love about the United States. Washington, Jefferson, Madison? A bunch of rotten slaveholders, hypocrites, and cowards even when their hearts were in the right places. The Declaration of Independence? A manifesto for the propertied classes. The Constitution? An artifact of sexism and white supremacy. The sacrifices in the great wars of the 20th century? Feeding the poor and the disenfranchised into the meat-grinder of imperialism. The gifts of Carnegie, Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, Morgan, Astor? Blood money from self-aggrandizing robber barons. Nat Rev

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #210 on: May 05, 2014, 11:18:46 AM »
I was unaware that Sarah Palin was referring to you personally, when she employed the "W" word.

A number of prominent Christians have objected publicly to her baptismal analogy, as well they might.

It was characteristically careless of her, even if one believes that terrorists ought not be the subject of sympathy for being made to endure a treatment that is routinely used in training our own special forces.

The woman frustrates the heck out of me: she's on the right side of so many issues of import, but simply cannot resist the urge to open her mouth without first engaging her cerebellum.

The only way that a person can be insulted is individually.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #211 on: May 05, 2014, 11:32:17 AM »
The only way that a person can be insulted is individually.

The only way a person can be insulted is if they accept the insult.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #212 on: May 05, 2014, 11:37:12 AM »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #213 on: May 05, 2014, 11:37:51 AM »
The only way a person can be insulted is if they accept the insult.

You insult my religion, then I accept the insult.

I'm very jihadish about that.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 11:39:28 AM by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #214 on: May 05, 2014, 11:55:40 AM »
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline ABX

• Technical
  • Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #215 on: May 05, 2014, 01:03:23 PM »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #216 on: May 05, 2014, 01:47:30 PM »
Freedom of speech translating to freedom of criticism from the exercise of your freedom of speech only makes sense to abject morons.

Your freedom to say something moronic and insult people who hold the rite of baptism as one of the sacred tenets of their religion is your own, but it is my right to exercise my own freedom of speech and call you out on the fact that you cheapened one of the tenets of my religions in order to make a sound bite and get some attention from the media.

You think we should torture terrorists?

Go right ahead... I'm with you. I'll hold one down while you work him over.

Leave my religion out of your sound bites.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf