Author Topic: Sarah Palin: ‘Waterboarding is how we’d baptize terrorists’ in her administration  (Read 13267 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Not only do I not think that, but equally as significant is the fact that you don't know that he would.

Point me to the strawman in my argument.

"In your case, you are trying to make the argument that since Goldwater used the word "extremism" in a positive light in his 1964 acceptance speech, and Goldwater is a conservative icon, he would approve of waterboarding."

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
"In your case, you are trying to make the argument that since Goldwater used the word "extremism" in a positive light in his 1964 acceptance speech, and Goldwater is a conservative icon, he would approve of waterboarding."

So you're saying that by posting that Goldwater quote you weren't making the argument that Goldwater would accept the use of waterboarding?

So why post the quote then?

Did you just have an overwhelming need to quote Goldwater at that point in the conversation?

Is it some weird Goldwater Tourettes Syndrome thing?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
So you're saying that by posting that Goldwater quote you weren't making the argument that Goldwater would accept the use of waterboarding?

So why post the quote then?

Did you just have an overwhelming need to quote Goldwater at that point in the conversation?

Is it some weird Goldwater Tourettes Syndrome thing?

Absolutely NOT! I am saying that he would have supported the use of water boarding without reservation and that YOU damned well know it!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 04:41:55 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Absolutely NOT! I am saying that he would have supported the use of water boarding without reservation and that YOU damned well know it!

So how was my post a strawman?

BTW... not only do I NOT know that, neither do you.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
All I have to say about this entire thread is: Oh Good Grief.

It was a friggin joke, and not even a new joke. This internet meme has been around at least 7-8 years.

It was also a running joke on the cartoon show American Dad.

If people are offended or try to get others to be offended by this joke, you should read this article:

http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Taking-Jokes-Seriously

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
All I have to say about this entire thread is: Oh Good Grief.

It was a friggin joke, and not even a new joke. This internet meme has been around at least 7-8 years.

It was also a running joke on the cartoon show American Dad.

If people are offended or try to get others to be offended by this joke, you should read this article:

http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Taking-Jokes-Seriously

I'll stop taking jokes seriously when the joke stops being used to paint everyone with the same brush.

I consider myself a conservative, ergo I agree with everything Palin says.

Wrong... I do not.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 05:01:57 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
So how was my post a strawman?

BTW... not only do I NOT know that, neither do you.

P.S.

Here is what I DO know...

By way of the Goldwater quote you posted, you and I appear to agree on one thing:

Waterboarding=extremism.

All that's left for us to do is decide the degree of extremism.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
P.S.

Here is what I DO know...

By way of the Goldwater quote you posted, you and I appear to agree on one thing:

Waterboarding=extremism.

All that's left for us to do is decide the degree of extremism.

I never said that water boarding is extreme! Never once!

But even if it is I would still be for it in order to protect our citizens!

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality" -- Ayn Rand

As far as I know Ayn never had any authority over much of anything but I still agree with what she said!

« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 05:09:20 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LambChop

So a device that results in absolutely no physical harm is, in your mind, Torture! Interesting!

Damned right I'll play!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterboarding

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/waterboarding-interrogation-or-torture/

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/1470200/waterboarding

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2007/dec/18/john-mccain/history-supports-mccains-stance-on-waterboarding/

Waterboarding IS torture.    And I might add, we're a country of hypocrites when it comes to this topic.   We called it illegal torture when it happened to our POW's, but when we want to do it others it's called "enhanced interrogation".

If our soldiers are held captive in Afghanistan, guess they can be waterboarded too :shrug:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
I never said that water boarding is extreme! Never once!

But even if it is I would still be for it in order to protect our citizens!

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality" -- Ayn Rand

As far as I know Ayn never had any authority over much of anything but I still agree with what she said!

So, what was the purpose of your Goldwater quote, as it applied to this specific discussion?

Trying to point out the irony in that Ayn Rand quote in relation to our current disagreement would be fruitless.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 05:22:38 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
So, what was the purpose of your Goldwater quote, as it applied to this specific discussion?

Trying to point out the irony in that Ayn Rand quote in relation to our current disagreement would be fruitless.

The point was to demonstrate my agreement with what he said. Nothing more or less than that!

Everything in which someone takes a firm stand FOR something is apparently ironic in your eyes Luis!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
The point was to demonstrate my agreement with what he said. Nothing more or less than that!

Everything in which someone takes a firm stand FOR something is apparently ironic in your eyes Luis!

So, in a discussion about whether or not waterboarding is torture and other related topics, you introduce a Goldwater quote about extremism being OK so long as it is used in the defense of liberty.

You also want to argue that the quote has nothing to do with either waterboarding as extremism, while at the same time, arguing that I would "damned well know" that Goldwater would not hesitate to use waterboarding.

So why the Goldwater qoute then?

Here... let me try this. See if I get it right.

Suppose for a minute that there's a debate about the moral decay which leads to acceptance of transgenderism in our society, and as I argue that some people being "different" doesn't make them immoral or amoral, I introduce this quote:

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it." - Marilyn Monroe

Then after doing that, I try to make the case that the quote has no relevance to the subject at hand other than the fact that I agree with Marilyn, and that I am not a homo.

That wouldn't play well, don't you think?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
So, in a discussion about whether or not waterboarding is torture and other related topics, you introduce a Goldwater quote about extremism being OK so long as it is used in the defense of liberty.

You also want to argue that the quote has nothing to do with either waterboarding as extremism, while at the same time, arguing that I would "damned well know" that Goldwater would not hesitate to use waterboarding.

So why the Goldwater qoute then?

Here... let me try this. See if I get it right.

Suppose for a minute that there's a debate about the moral decay which leads to acceptance of transgenderism in our society, and as I argue that some people being "different" doesn't make them immoral or amoral, I introduce this quote:

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it." - Marilyn Monroe

Then after doing that, I try to make the case that the quote has no relevance to the subject at hand other than the fact that I agree with Marilyn, and that I am not a homo.

That wouldn't play well, don't you think?

Might not play well with YOU but I would not have a problem with it.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Glad you recognize it!

You and some others here have been doing exactly that for years now all over the internet!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Mark Levin’s Full-Throated Tribal Yell
Rod Dreher
The American Conservative
April 30, 2014

Somebody will do a Ph.D thesis in political science one day on the psychology of this stuff. Follow the link to hear the full clip. It’s delightful. Summary here, from that link:

Mark Levin went after NRO writer Patrick Brennan for taking cheap shots at Sarah Palin over her NRA speech this weekend...

Levin went on, “you may not agree with her — you may not agree with how she speaks or what she says but SCREW YOU! You do nothing.” ...

Next Levin took aim at Rod Dreher at The American Conservative, calling him a “nasty creep” for basically writing that Palin’s ‘baptism’ remark was blasphemy and suggesting she was comparing torture to a “holy sacrament of the Christian faith.” ...

Imagine the kind of conservative bubble in which the thought of Sarah Palin as a “serious political contender” is considered incontestable. Imagine the kind of conservative bubble in which holding a female who once ran for vice president of the United States responsible for something she said in a public speech is considered an act of sexism and disloyalty...

Note to Conservatism, Inc.: Mark Levin isn’t the future.
Full article with reader comments

Offline katzenjammer

Silly me!!  I thought that your Goldwater quote (of which I wholeheartedly agree!) was in reference to a more general point.  And that point being that the "extremism" of Palin (and by extension her supporters) in defense of Liberty is no vice; in contrast to the statism supported by the so called "moderates" of the current GOP.  I didn't think that you were focusing in on waterboarding at all....  But what do I know??

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Silly me!!  I thought that your Goldwater quote (of which I wholeheartedly agree!) was in reference to a more general point.  And that point being that the "extremism" of Palin (and by extension her supporters) in defense of Liberty is no vice; in contrast to the statism supported by the so called "moderates" of the current GOP.  I didn't think that you were focusing in on waterboarding at all....  But what do I know??

You get it very well but there are some here that don't do anything but try to disrupt and distort!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 07:16:15 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

I'm no Moderate.

I'm just not enough of a hypocrite that I would candy coat something I was supporting that I would readily label "torture" if it was done to some of our soldiers.

So, if you want to ask me whether or not I approve of torture in order to save lives, I would own that instead of trying to make some bullshit statement about what I supported not really being torture.

Here's a hint...

Dropping the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki was necessary, but it was mass murder of a civilian population.

Had we lost the war, everyone connected with that would have been tried as war criminals and for carrying out acts against humanity.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
You get it very well but there are some here that don't do anything but try to disrupt and distort!

That post was a joke, and my attempt at lightening up the mood.

But since you're going to go where you went, I'll point out that the majority of your post make no sense.

Offline katzenjammer

I'm no Moderate.

I'm just not enough of a hypocrite that I would candy coat something I was supporting that I would readily label "torture" if it was done to some of our soldiers.

So, if you want to ask me whether or not I approve of torture in order to save lives, I would own that instead of trying to make some bullshit statement about what I supported not really being torture.

Here's a hint...

Dropping the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki was necessary, but it was mass murder of a civilian population.

Had we lost the war, everyone connected with that would have been tried as war criminals and for carrying out acts against humanity.

I am glad that you are not a Moderate, because then I would have to absolutely hate you!!   :silly:

I'm one of those that doesn't really like to venture down into the weeds about something like waterboarding, or any number of "issues" that really don't amount to a hill of beans when I think about the more macro level problems that we have plaguing us as a nation, and a civilization.  (Crap like that just doesn't float my boat.)

But I do agree with your points on the bombings.  What is that quote about history being written by the victors??

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
I am glad that you are not a Moderate, because then I would have to absolutely hate you!!   :silly:

:beer:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

couldn't help myself.... :bolt:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34