Author Topic: BREAKING: Militia Arrives at Bundy Ranch  (Read 12976 times)

Oceander

Re: BREAKING: Militia Arrives at Bundy Ranch
« Reply #200 on: April 15, 2014, 11:10:48 pm »
The Bureau of Land Management (BLM), which is an agency created by Congress, claimed that Bundy was “violating the law of the land.” Perhaps the agency has forgotten that the law of the land is the Constitution, and the only constitutional violation here is the very modern existence of the agency’s presence in Nevada. - See more at:

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/who-actually-owns-americas-land-a-deeper-look-at-the-bundy-ranch-crisis_042014#sthash.C3ol9kLA.q5jaxp5b.dpuf

Please don't take offense because I'm not saying anything against you, but the author of that article is flat wrong. 

Article IV, section 3, cl. 2 of the Constitution provides:
The Congress shall have power to dispose of and make all needful rules and regulations respecting the territory or other property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to prejudice any claims of the United States, or of any particular state.

That provision establishes that the United States government as such can indeed own property, including territory, in its own right.  It also necessarily covers more ground than Art. I, sec. 8, cl. 17, which is the only clause the author refers to.  This has to be the case because otherwise Art. IV, sec. 3, cl. 2 would be meaningless because it wouldn't do anything that wasn't already done by Art. I, sec. 8, cl. 17.

I cannot think of anything that more flatly contradicts the author and falsifies his conclusion.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #201 on: April 15, 2014, 11:40:56 pm »
Not yet visible although Harry Reid isn't too far away.

It's not that it is "not yet visible", it is that in this case, there is no violation of the Constitution, only violation of Constitutional laws and Court mandates by Cliven Bundy.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #202 on: April 15, 2014, 11:43:35 pm »
Ya know, these Constitutional and legal arguments are truly flying near the bizarre.  The other side had suspended the Constitution.  Torn it to shreds and wiped their mangy asses with it.  So you can fight and do what you need or you get ready to do this

I've been thinking that too.....this Administration boasts that they will decide which laws to enforce and which ones they're not.

They are ignoring the most porous border in the South we've seen in a decade....to harass one remaining farmer.

Mark Levin was just discussing that the US government owns 25% of the United States land... Alaska and Hawaii excepted.  Why?

Furthermore, only between something like 4.6 to 6.5 percent of all land in the US is developed.

This administration is condemning many peoples' homes that happen to be surrounded by US parkland.  You think you're buying your paradise and instead, you lose it all.

Add in the fact that all new developments are preplanned and they crowd residences into small clusters.

This all smacks in the face of those of us born and raised on apple pie, baseball and Chevrolet.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #203 on: April 15, 2014, 11:45:21 pm »
This is so plainly in error I'm not even sure where to start.  I'm also pretty sure that there isn't any point to starting because no amount of reason or discussion seems to shake the belief that the federal government does not own that land and that Mr. Bundy can do as he pleases.

The only people disregarding the Constitution here are Mr. Bundy, his supporters and his enablers.  They are no better than Harry Reid and all the other Constitution-ignoring democrats/liberals.

I'll just pick one sentence:

The Founding Fathers never imagined the citizens of a state would be subject to such treatment at the hands of the federal government.

Three words:

The Whiskey Rebellion.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #204 on: April 15, 2014, 11:49:21 pm »
I've been thinking that too.....this Administration boasts that they will decide which laws to enforce and which ones they're not.

That was one of the lead comments on one of the FOX News shows earlier today, and FOX's comments were telling.

They pointed out that most law enforcement, from the street cop through to the President and AG, have wide discretionary powers as to which laws to enforce, and when, and which laws not to enforce but that citizens have no such discretionary ability, and that we're bound to obey all laws at all times.

Cliven Bundy lacks the right to decide which laws and whose mandates he will abide by.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 11:51:14 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #205 on: April 15, 2014, 11:57:26 pm »
It seems that there is something those urging violence are missing:  if an armed rebellion against the United States is successful, the Constitution will be irretrievably destroyed.  The legitimacy of the rebels' cause requires that the Constitution be illegitimate, that is, broken.  Because if the Constitution still stands, then the rebels' cause is nothing more than lawless armed insurrection.  In other words, those of Mr. Bundy's supporters who are calling for armed insurrection are not upholding the Constitution, they are attempting to destroy it.  They ought at least to be honest about that.

Plus they'd have the extra added bonus of engaging in the Constitutional definition of treason.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #206 on: April 16, 2014, 12:04:02 am »
Still, that discretion cannot be boundless and it cannot be exercised in an arbitrary or capricious manner.  There must be some content to the president's duty to see that the laws are faithfully enforced.  The problems are finding the line between legitimate discretion and caprice, and what to do about an arbitrary, capricious executive.  In my view, the way to deal with such an executive is through the vote and through the courts.

Yet, I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that the people of Nevada will re-elect Harry Reid.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #207 on: April 16, 2014, 12:19:12 am »
Yet, I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that the people of Nevada will re-elect Harry Reid.
Last time around Reid was polling well behind a generic GOP opponent, until they picked the Tea Party's Sharron Angle, to oppose him.

Maybe with a stronger candidate, he can be defeated.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #208 on: April 16, 2014, 12:27:56 am »
Luis wrote above:
[[ We all need to abide by one Constitution and we all need to abide by the decisions of our Courts, because otherwise we will never have a sustainable Constitution... ]]

Judging from the behavior of the current administration over the last 5+ years, and the failure of Congress to oppose it, we don't seem to have "a sustainable Constitution" now.

Whatcha gonna do about it?

Luis also wrote in post #222:
[[ They want to turn this into a little guy versus an oppressive liberal government.
That's not what this is about. ]]

But, yes, it -is- what this is about.

Did you read my post #208 above?

I'll repeat it:
==============
The Feds & the BLM are out of control. They spent over $3 million to harass Bundy & go after $1 million in grazing fees they say he owes. Also- They cut his grazing allotment down to where they were only allowing him 250 cows on 260,000 acres!!! Do the math! That is over 1000 acres PER COW!! It is also not enough cows to run the ranch profitably. That kind of land/cow ratio is nuts!!!
==============
source:
http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3144592/posts?page=31#31

I cannot verify if the numbers above are correct. But if they are, the land use "agreement" that the BLM tried to foist upon Mr. Bundy was indeed lopsided and "oppressive".

Mr. Bundy's side claims that the BLM forced the other ranchers in the area out of business. Again, if the numbers above are to be believed, that's easy to understand.

Brings to mind the scene in "The Godfather" in which Micheal Corleone tells Kay about the time his father and Luca Brazi visited someone. In Michael's words, "Luca Brazi held a gun to his head and said either his signature or his brains would be on the contract."

1,000+ acres per cow?
Where's the gun?

Offline pjohns

« Reply #209 on: April 16, 2014, 01:32:00 am »
I'm not so sure centralization will be a consequence in this case.  It may be the perfect point for states to take some power back.  Who is better suited to react, respond and plan to conditions on the ground, a state agency or some agency suit in Washington?

This is a very good point, in my opinion. 

Offline aligncare

« Reply #210 on: April 16, 2014, 01:32:50 am »
Last time around Reid was polling well behind a generic GOP opponent, until they picked the Tea Party's Sharron Angle, to oppose him.

Maybe with a stronger candidate, he can be defeated.

They say you can't replace something with nothing. In Reid's case you can - and still get a better senator out of it.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #211 on: April 16, 2014, 01:55:23 am »
I'm not so sure centralization will be a consequence in this case.  It may be the perfect point for states to take some power back.  Who is better suited to react, respond and plan to conditions on the ground, a state agency or some agency suit in Washington?
This is like stopping Common Core or closing national monuments during the sequester.  People want their local lives back.  If played wisely, it can be a boon.

Article 5 convention of the states is picking up steam with 29 states already passing Article V legislation.  So perhaps the states - which had conceived the federal apparatus - will play the hand the founders put in the Constitution for just such a case, to rein in an ever-growing, bureaucratic and authoritarian federal government.

We will struggle – but I am hopeful.

Oceander

« Reply #212 on: April 16, 2014, 02:39:36 am »
Article 5 convention of the states is picking up steam with 29 states already passing Article V legislation.  So perhaps the states - which had conceived the federal apparatus - will play the hand the founders put in the Constitution for just such a case, to rein in an ever-growing, bureaucratic and authoritarian federal government.

We will struggle – but I am hopeful.

does this legislation call for a convention limited to certain specified topics, or does it just call for a convention?  if it just calls for a convention without restrictions, then it's a recipe for pure disaster.  people think the democrats engage in electoral fraud just to win ordinary elections?  then think carefully about just how much fraud they'll commit in order to gain control of such a convention, to completely redraw the Constitution to their own liking.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #213 on: April 16, 2014, 03:32:43 am »
"I abide by all of Nevada state laws. But I don’t recognize the United States government as even existing."" - Cliven Bundy, The  Show, 04/10/2014

Article 1, Section 2 of the Nevada Constitution:

All political power is inherent in the people. Government is instituted for the protection, security and benefit of the people; and they have the right to alter or reform the same whenever the public good may require it. But the Paramount Allegiance of every citizen is due to the Federal Government in the exercise of all its Constitutional powers as the same have been or may be defined by the Supreme Court of the United States; and no power exists in the people of this or any other State of the Federal Union to dissolve their connection therewith or perform any act tending to impair, subvert, or resist the Supreme Authority of the government of the United States. The Constitution of the United States confers full power on the Federal Government to maintain and Perpetuate its existence, and whensoever any portion of the States, or people thereof attempt to secede from the Federal Union, or forcibly resist the Execution of its laws, the Federal Government may, by warrant of the Constitution, employ armed force in compelling obedience to its Authority.

In the show, Bundy argues that he's "paid for and inherited" the right to have his cattle grazing on public land.

The Nevada Constitution again:

That the people inhabiting said territory do agree and declare, that they forever disclaim all right and title to the unappropriated public lands lying within said territory, and that the same shall be and remain at the sole and entire disposition of the United States; …..”

The Nevada Constitution pre-existed the arrival of the Bundy family to the State of Nevada by two decades.

Bundy claims that since his family was in Nevada prior to the creation of the BLM, he has"preeminent" rights to the use of the land.

The Taylor Gazing Act of 1934 states that:

So far as consistent with the purposes and provisions of this subchapter, grazing privileges recognized and acknowledged shall be adequately safeguarded, but the creation of a grazing district or the issuance of a permit pursuant to the provisions of this subchapter shall not create any right, title, interest, or estate in or to the lands.

He has no "right" to use the land.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #214 on: April 16, 2014, 11:11:25 am »
In word and in deed, the Executive branch has decided which laws they will enforce and which laws they will not.  Now, if that were a marriage, that would be cause for divorce.  If that were a business contract, that would make the contract null and void. 
This may be the worse but it is the last bit of puss that brings the pimple to a head.  You can decide if you will continue to be the aggrieved partner, the abused spouse or you can stand up for yourself and say "Not one more step!".
It's not a matter of being a "Keyboard Commando" or a hot-head.  It's standing up for what you will accept and what you will not.  The Constitution is a piece of vellum with words written upon it.  America however, is an idea, an ideal.  No man is above the law, not a rancher, not an AG, not a President.  If there were a press with teeth and not a giggle group of schoolgirl syncophants, this joker would have been long gone.
Let me give you a quick example about discretion.  I need a new fishing knife.  New Jersey, in all it's wisdom, has changed knife laws from blade length to "intent".  What did you intend to do with the knife?  That new knife would be kept in my tackle box.  Now it's a concealed weapon.  So, am I supposed to take a chance on Officer Friendly's mood on the "intent" of my knife?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #215 on: April 16, 2014, 11:46:46 am »

does this legislation call for a convention limited to certain specified topics, or does it just call for a convention?  if it just calls for a convention without restrictions, then it's a recipe for pure disaster.  people think the democrats engage in electoral fraud just to win ordinary elections?  then think carefully about just how much fraud they'll commit in order to gain control of such a convention, to completely redraw the Constitution to their own liking.

Specific amendments directing federal government to operate within the Constitution. But, I'm not an expert on this subject. Check out Liberty Amendments by Mark Levin and google article V convention of states for more detailed analysis of how it would work.

On the surface this appears a good idea and may be our only avenue for peacefully and legally reining in fedgov abuses.

The Blaze - Growing chorus of state lawmakers ...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 12:08:41 pm by aligncare »

Offline olde north church

« Reply #216 on: April 16, 2014, 12:42:53 pm »
As a matter of fact, to those without scales upon their eyes, this is just another step toward the Zimbabwe-zation of America.  Confiscation of land.  Militants at polls.  Transfer of wealth via health insurance policy payments.  Destruction of a nation by those unworthy to lead it.  Rhodesia on steroids.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 12:43:45 pm by olde north church »
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.