Author Topic: Jeb Bush: Many illegal immigrants come out of an ‘act of love’  (Read 877 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/04/06/jeb-bush-many-illegal-immigrants-come-out-of-an-act-of-love//?print=1

Jeb Bush: Many illegal immigrants come out of an ‘act of love’
By Ed O'Keefe, Updated: April 6 at 2:44 pm

Former Florida governor Jeb Bush said Sunday that many who illegally come to the United States do so out of an "act of love" for their families and should be treated differently than people who illegally cross U.S. borders or overstay visas.

The comments came during an event marking the 25th anniversary of the presidency of George H. W. Bush at the library and museum that bears the name of the Bush patriarch. The event was closed to reporters, but moderated by Fox News anchor Shannone Bream and portions of the event were later broadcast on the Fox News Channel.

Asked about immigration, Bush started by saying that a bipartisan bill passed by the Senate last year made "a good effort" at proposing ways to ensure that people overstaying visas leave the country.

"A great country ought to know where those folks are and politely ask them to leave," he said, adding later that properly targeting people who overstay visas "would restore people's confidence" in the nation's immigration system.

"There are means by which we can control our border better than we have. And there should be penalties for breaking the law," he added. "But the way I look at this -- and I'm going to say this, and it'll be on tape and so be it. The way I look at this is someone who comes to our country because they couldn’t come legally, they come to our country because their families -- the dad who loved their children -- was worried that their children didn’t have food on the table. And they wanted to make sure their family was intact, and they crossed the border because they had no other means to work to be able to provide for their family. Yes, they broke the law, but it’s not a felony. It’s an act of love. It’s an act of commitment to your family. I honestly think that that is a different kind of crime that there should be a price paid, but it shouldn’t rile people up that people are actually coming to this country to provide for their families."

The comments clearly set Bush apart from other Republicans, especially some considering runs for president in 2016. Even Bush seemed to acknowledge that his position could cause him political trouble as he mulls whether to run for president.

In 2012, Texas Gov. Rick Perry drew criticism for defending a law allowing illegal immigrants in Texas to pay in-state tuition by suggesting that people opposed to the measure were insensitive.

“If you say that we should not educate children who have come into our state for no other reason than they have been brought there by no fault of their own, I don’t think you have a heart,” Perry said during a GOP debate in Florida.

The comments were later panned by Perry's Republican opponents.

At the same event Sunday, Bush said he would make a decision by the end of this year about whether to run for president in 2016.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline xfreeper

Re: Jeb Bush: Many illegal immigrants come out of an ‘act of love’
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 05:10:59 am »
this should disqualify him from any prominent position at all in government......unless it's in mexico

Offline raml

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 05:23:29 am »
I can't believe how stupid most politicians are. Illegals have cost us billions in taxpayer money not governments since a government only has the money taxpayers are able to pay and yet they want to open their arms to them while the citizens suffer and pay outrageous taxes. They all need to go to prison for the corruption our government now oversees and straddles poor taxpayers with.

Offline collins

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 06:16:00 am »
Right, and it really burns me up when politicans like Jeb here are more worried about these illegal aliens than American citizens. Invading and occupying a foreign country is not an act of love - his Mexican wife ought to take him back to her home country as an act of love.

Online rustynail

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 09:29:32 am »
Of money.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 11:19:09 am »
They're breaking the law. We look at intent, not "motive," however noble and fuzzywuzzy.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

rangerrebew

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 12:14:27 pm »
A real act of love, tough love, would be to send them back to Mejico to teach them respect for the law and rights of others. :amen:

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 02:14:15 pm »
I respect all of the opinions expressed so far on this thread....but I couldn't disagree more.

Because of the country's size, we ourselves have 'cultural' differences among our fellow natural-born Americans. 

Somebody growing up or living in Southern California, Arizona or Texas.....or in a major 'Sanctuary' American city/county....is NOT going to have the same experiences and/or exposure to the illegal immigrant.  So it would be difficult for everybody to have the same take.

When you look at your family's plight and your 'lucky' neighbor or cousin sends pictures of them enjoying their 40 wide screen and living in comparative heaven....you go to the United States as an act of love for your family.

Is it syrupy?  Yes.   

He's a politician.

But I agree with him totally....so that makes me a "Bush Republican".
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 02:18:55 pm »
greed and envy has nothing to do with love

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 02:23:45 pm »

One thing I've learned over the years is to not get "into it" with fellow members on this specific topic.

Just wanted to put on record for the terrific members here that may not know my position on illegal immigration.  While my POV has hardened over the past few years, it may be because I am semi-retired and don't enjoy the same daily interaction with 'them'.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 02:30:03 pm »

Felt compelled to respond here but this is it and I'm done......

When your own children and wife looks at you with sadness while the rest of the family seem to be getting better education/healthcare, cars, houses, HDTV, what will you say?

"Uh....sorry kids....your relatives are scumbags for breaking the law.  We'll get in line and wait our turn"?

Meanwhile your nephews and nieces are all going to college, while YOUR kids are cleaning the backyard outhouse.

Greed and envy has nothing to do with wanting for your family what everybody else gets by sneaking to the USA.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 02:30:36 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 02:33:33 pm »
If someone wants to support illegal immigration it would make more sense to make a different argument. For example, I love my family. I would therefore like them to have more assets and a more extravagant lifestyle so I think I'll knock off a bank because.....well....I really love them. To me the whole argument is preposterous. With that said, I never take someone else’s view point personally and I invite them to defend it and debate it. It may even change my mind although truthfully, in this case not likely.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 02:45:33 pm »
The only "act of love" involved here is the full-fledged ****ing being forced upon Americans by politicians and the big business and big labor interests that fill their pockets and keep them in office.

What other country on Earth would consider an invasion by foreigner nationals to be an "act of love"? What kind of politician would say something so ineffably stupid?

It takes a Bush.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Millee

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 02:54:53 pm »
We already have a President who doesn't give a flip about our laws, we don't need another one.   :nono:

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 07:46:36 pm »
We already have a President who doesn't give a flip about our laws, we don't need another one.   :nono:

That's what makes this so strange.   The name Bush is toxic.   And yet Jeb Bush thinks he can overcome that?

It's a perfect example of the effect one's circle-of-influence has on their POV on immigration. 

He'd make a great president.....but no thanks.   And I sure as hell don't want Romney either.

Side note:  The Republican party should change their name....or there should be a new party called the Constitutional Party.

I'm convinced there are millions of currently registered Democrats that are disgusted by Fascism and ready to jump.  But the name Republican is synonymous with out-of-touch, non-empathetic Americans.  The 'enemy'.

With a new name it's like:

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 07:47:28 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 08:13:11 pm »
Greed and envy has nothing to do with wanting for your family what everybody else gets
Isn't that the definition of envy?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 12:21:40 am »
Isn't that the definition of envy?

Just the fact your children will not grow up illiterate, and your grandchildren could be self-made millionaires turns sneaking....into a noble journey.

Like I said, here we are, just a 30 minute subway ride to the White House, and you see complete families from perhaps San Salvador with the mother loaded down with groceries and her children all holding hands while crossing the street.  The father trailing with a watchful eye.  They are not dressed for the weather...it can break your heart.

The very first thing that comes to mind is....that's EXACTLY what my grandmother looked liked when she landed at Ellis Island.

I'll always love them without apology. 

All you have to do is imagine what it's like to be those children...beam me up Scotty...they could have been my parents.

It's agreed that it's been a terrible strain on the monthly [county] budgets, but let's not kid ourselves, it's FEDERAL $$$ paying for it out of the stimulus money.   Remember what Pelosi said.....every entitlement dollar generates ......whatever bullshit it was.

Her point of course was that those groceries they're carrying keeps other businesses thriving.   We get it. 

The other point that must be admitted here is that Montgomery County, Maryland has done it "right".  They've ensured that government entitlements won't mirror other "cradle to grave" examples out there......and find by the time they've graduated high school, they're as much an American as you or I.

THAT's the fact here.  And they are nice people.   And they shouldn't be alienated.

Sorry for breaking my promise.   8888crybaby

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 01:38:32 am »
A 30 minute ride from the mexico california border will give you a completely different perspective. As will a cuise up the central valley or salinas valley in CA. Your inability or refusal to recognized any difference between legal and illegal immigration is also puzzling. Does your heart cry for the victims of mexican gang bangers as well?