Author Topic: Angus King Thinks Dick Cheney Should Try Waterboarding 'If He Doesn't Think That Was Torture'  (Read 550 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/06/angus-king-dick-cheney_n_5101605.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000013

Angus King Thinks Dick Cheney Should Try Waterboarding 'If He Doesn't Think That Was Torture'
The Huffington Post  | by  Mollie Reilly

Posted: 04/06/2014 4:05 pm EDT Updated: 04/06/2014 4:59 pm ED

Sen. Angus King (I-Maine) said Sunday that former Vice President Dick Cheney should give waterboarding a try himself if he doesn't believe the interrogation tactic qualifies as torture.

During a visit to American University in Washington, D.C. late last month, Cheney said he had no regrets over the controversial interrogation practices used by the Central Intelligence Agency during the Bush administration.

“Some people called it torture. It wasn’t torture," Cheney told ATV, the university's student-run television station, referring to the administration's use of waterboarding to gather information.

Appearing on MSNBC's "Up With Steve Kornacki," King said he "couldn't believe" Cheney's remarks.

"Frankly, I was stunned to hear that quote from Vice President Cheney just now," King said. "If he doesn't think that was torture, I would invite him anywhere in the United States to sit in a waterboard and go though what those people went through, one of them a hundred and plus odd times. That's ridiculous to make that claim."

King continued,"This was torture by anybody's definition. John McCain said it's torture, and I think he's in a better position to know that than Vice President Cheney. I was shocked at that statement that he just made and to say it was carefully managed and everybody knew what was going on, that's absolute nonsense."

King is a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee, which last week moved to declassify the executive summary of a report on the CIA's interrogation and torture practices during the Bush administration following 9/11.

"The report exposes brutality that stands in stark contrast to our values as a nation," committee chair Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said last week. "It chronicles a stain on our history that must never again be allowed to happen."

During the MSNBC appearance, King said the report illustrates how the CIA misrepresented the use of torture.

"I sat and reread the entire report last week, the entire executive summary," King said. "It's shocking."

video at link
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I don't recall Cheney ever denying waterboarding is torture...to my knowledge he thought it was an effective form of torture...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Waterboarding doesn't harm one physically. Scares them.

That is why it is so effective, yet harmless.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
No finesse to it though.

I mean, seriously. Dark room, restricted movement, a hit of acid, and some subsonics - they crack in under an hour.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 10:51:59 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline musiclady

What does it say about these people that they are still obsessed with their hatred for George W. Bush and Richard B. Cheney?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Angus King should have to endure a couple of weeks of the training our Spec Ops guys do as a matter of routine and then see if he still thinks waterboarding is torture!

Comparatively speaking getting waterboarded is like a day off with pay!

« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 11:34:50 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Oh!  THAT Angus.....I was thinking AC/DC was jumping into the fray.......