Author Topic: 7.8 Earthquake - 23km S of Iquique, Chile (Another big one)  (Read 930 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
7.8 Earthquake - 23km S of Iquique, Chile (Another big one)
« on: April 03, 2014, 03:35:14 am »
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/usc000p27i#summary

M7.8 - 23km S of Iquique, Chile 2014-04-03 02:43:15 UTC

Event Time

2014-04-03 02:43:15 UTC 2014-04-02 23:43:15 UTC-03:00 at epicenter 2014-04-02 19:43:15 UTC-07:00 system time Location

20.430°S 70.113°W depth=20.0km (12.4mi)

Nearby Cities

23km (14mi) S of Iquique, Chile 184km (114mi) N of Tocopilla, Chile 217km (135mi) S of Arica, Chile 256km (159mi) NNW of Calama, Chile 481km (299mi) SSW of La Paz, Bolivia
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 03:35:39 am by AbaraXas »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: 7.8 Earthquake - 23km S of Iquique, Chile (Another big one)
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 03:37:45 am »
That was meant for the jukebox - but sod it. It fits!

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 03:38:11 am »
And a 6.4 right behind that, all in the same area as yesterday's quake.

Clearly there is a massive amount of strain given how many quakes they've had of all sizes for several weeks now.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 03:39:12 am »
WEPA40 PHEB 030313
TSUPAC

TSUNAMI BULLETIN NUMBER 002
PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER/NOAA/NWS
ISSUED AT 0313Z 03 APR 2014

THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO AREAS WITHIN AND BORDERING THE PACIFIC
OCEAN AND ADJACENT SEAS...EXCEPT ALASKA...BRITISH COLUMBIA...
WASHINGTON...OREGON AND CALIFORNIA.

IN THIS MESSAGE THE MAGNITUDE IS INCREASED TO 7.8.

... A TSUNAMI WARNING IS IN EFFECT ...

A TSUNAMI WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR

CHILE / PERU

FOR ALL OTHER AREAS COVERED BY THIS BULLETIN... IT IS FOR
INFORMATION ONLY AT THIS TIME.

http://ptwc.weather.gov/ptwc/text.php?id=pacific.TSUPAC.2014.04.03.0313
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 03:39:42 am »
And a 6.4 right behind that, all in the same area as yesterday's quake.

Clearly there is a massive amount of strain given how many quakes they've had of all sizes for several weeks now.

Related to the recent solar flares? An M class at this part of the cycle is unusual.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 03:42:02 am »
I doubt it.  This is a subduction zone, one which generated the largest earthquake ever recorded.  Large earthquakes are very common in that area.

When the plates get locked, the strains builds up until one lets go and you get a 8+ quake such as what we saw off Japan and Indonesia previously.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 03:46:21 am »
Fair enough. You follow these things more.

Was just wondering since we have started the infall to perihelion and the tilt shift from south to north and it's going to be stressing on the crust.

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 03:47:11 am »
sounds like, so far, the strain is being released in small chunks over time; hopefully there won't be a big one

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 03:52:41 am »
I doubt it.  This is a subduction zone, one which generated the largest earthquake ever recorded.  Large earthquakes are very common in that area.

When the plates get locked, the strains builds up until one lets go and you get a 8+ quake such as what we saw off Japan and Indonesia previously.

yep...and then some time later you get a massive volcanic eruption because of all the material that was subducted.  Endless cycle....

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 06:22:48 pm »
I thought it might be useful to point out that despite an enormous earthquake and continuing very strong aftershocks, injuries have been minimal and no deaths reported that I am aware of.

The 7.0 magnitude quake that hit Haiti killed over 200,000 people almost immediately. 

This shows how Chile has learned from long experience with large quakes and has responded by strengthening their building codes.  By and far, most of their buildings have survived and while there is widespread damage it is fairly minimal in comparison.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 06:47:39 pm »
This shows how Chile has learned from long experience with large quakes and has responded by strengthening their building codes.  By and far, most of their buildings have survived and while there is widespread damage it is fairly minimal in comparison.

I was thinking the same thing, but then I drove down the streets of  Iquique, Chile  the largest town nearest the epicenter thanks to the magic of Google Maps, and most of the town appears to be old  run down buildings worse condition than our poorest neaighborhoods.   But they are mostly 1 and 2 story buildings and that may have helped.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Oceander

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 11:58:35 pm »
I was thinking the same thing, but then I drove down the streets of  Iquique, Chile  the largest town nearest the epicenter thanks to the magic of Google Maps, and most of the town appears to be old  run down buildings worse condition than our poorest neaighborhoods.   But they are mostly 1 and 2 story buildings and that may have helped.

1 and 2 story buildings are usually the most vulnerable to earthquakes because they're made of masonry, which doesn't handle tension well and their harmonic frequency is very close to that of most earthquakes.  In places like California the risk is ameliorated because the ground is so broken up underneath with little faults; in a place like NYC, however, a quake like this one would devastate neighborhood after neighborhood of old 4 and 5 story walkups.