Author Topic: NASA suspends cooperation with Russia over Ukraine crisis  (Read 597 times)

Oceander

NASA suspends cooperation with Russia over Ukraine crisis
« on: April 02, 2014, 09:37:43 pm »
Russia Today

NASA suspends cooperation with Russia over Ukraine crisis

Published time: April 02, 2014 20:19
Edited time: April 02, 2014 20:54

The United States has suspended contact between NASA and its Russian counterpart over the ongoing situation in Ukraine. Only ongoing International Space Station cooperation will continue through the freeze in relations.

NASA associate administrator Michael O’Brien said in a memo sent Wednesday that all missions with Russia’s Roscosmos are on hold indefinitely, UPI reports.

“This suspension includes NASA travel to Russia and visits by Russian Government representatives to NASA facilities, bilateral meetings, email, and teleconferences or videoconferences,” O’Brien wrote. “At the present time, only operational International Space Station activities have been excepted.”

O’Brien added that “multilateral meetings held outside of Russia that may include Russian participation are not precluded under the present guidance.”

NASA told various US media that it will release a public statement later on Wednesday.

Three Russians, two Americans, and one Japanese astronaut are onboard the International Space Station (ISS).

Last week, NASA Administrator Charles Bolden said he did not believe Russia would curtail American access to the ISS, despite geopolitical tensions. Russian launch vehicles have transported American astronauts to the station since NASA stopped its Space Shuttle program, though Bolden insisted that Russia is just as dependent on the US to run the ISS.

Despite Bolden’s assurances, some in Congress are worried that Ukraine-inspired animosity could affect NASA’s operations in space. Bolden attempted to leverage those concerns by asking Congress to fund development of the Commercial Carrier Program, according to UPI. The program, with adequate funding, could launch astronauts from the US by 2017.

"Right now, everything is normal in our relationship with the Russians," Bolden said in early March. "I think people lose track of the fact that we have occupied the International Space Station now for 13 consecutive years uninterrupted, and that has been through multiple international crises."

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: NASA suspends cooperation with Russia over Ukraine crisis
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 09:42:20 pm »
Now that's clever. Politicize the one agency that can keep on talking with justification. And don't try telling me this order didn't come right from the top.

:banging:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 10:29:06 pm »
I still can't believe Zero ended our space program.  Just over.  That's it. 

:peeonobama:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 10:51:29 pm »
I still can't believe Zero ended our space program.  Just over.  That's it. 

:peeonobama:

I'll pee harder on him.

I wrote this, July 8th, 2011. Site has gone dark - it happens - but the wayback machine has a copy:

http://web.archive.org/web/20110710013553/http://www.guyspeak.com/blog/newsworthy/the-end-is-always-bitter/

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 01:37:30 am »
I'm curious what happens to the people aboard the space station; as far as i know, a russian rocket is the only way to get down.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 01:58:01 am »
I'm curious what happens to the people aboard the space station; as far as i know, a russian rocket is the only way to get down.

It is the only exempt bit of co-operation. Though when the two Americans come down at the end of their shift, I'd not expect to see one going up again for a bit. There is a fair queue.

Offline flowers

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 03:16:54 pm »
Obama continuing destroying this country down to size. Giving away the space station to Russia is what is going on here.

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 03:22:19 pm »
It is the only exempt bit of co-operation. Though when the two Americans come down at the end of their shift, I'd not expect to see one going up again for a bit. There is a fair queue.

yes, but there's theory, and then there's practice; often the twain do not meet, nor agree should they happen to meet.

Offline Relic

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 03:23:10 pm »
Obama continuing destroying this country down to size. Giving away the space station to Russia is what is going on here.

I agree 100% that is Obama's goal, and he's doing a fantastic job of achieving that goal. It's things like this that fuel my rage against the msm. This issue won't be covered, the average American won't know, and won't care.

If shooting ever starts here, I know who I'd like to see go down first.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 12:50:32 am »
Well, that is the end of America in space, and all the innovation that came with it. But, then again, Muslims do not believe in space. It is an "abomination to their God" or some such monkey chatter Islamic crap. So it is weirdly understandable that a guy named 'Hussein' who was raise in a Madrassa in Indonesia would want to shut it down.

Why what was once America, the greatest nation on Earth, let's him do it, is a different topic.

I am blessed to have lived in an America that was. Those days are gone now. I feel sorry for Americans now. But, as I always say, this is what they wanted. So be it.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Relic

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 04:56:16 am »
Well, that is the end of America in space, and all the innovation that came with it. But, then again, Muslims do not believe in space. It is an "abomination to their God" or some such monkey chatter Islamic crap. So it is weirdly understandable that a guy named 'Hussein' who was raise in a Madrassa in Indonesia would want to shut it down.

Why what was once America, the greatest nation on Earth, let's him do it, is a different topic.

I am blessed to have lived in an America that was. Those days are gone now. I feel sorry for Americans now. But, as I always say, this is what they wanted. So be it.

This post sums up my feelings as well.

It's tragic. Makes me want to cry. But, majority rules, even if the majority is so stupid it's a sin.