Author Topic: Chernobyl Study: 30 Years After Blast, Trees Are Barely Decomposed  (Read 825 times)

Oceander

Chernobyl Study:  30 Years After Blast, Trees Are Barely Decomposed

Thursday, 27 Mar 2014 12:06 PM

By Alexandra Ward

Researchers studying the aftereffects of the Chernobyl disaster have found that the dead trees, plants, and leaves sitting on the contaminated nuclear site are not decaying at the rate they should be.

The nuclear power plant in Ukraine has sat virtually untouched since a reactor exploded there in 1986. Now, a duo of scientists is studying the biology of the contaminated site in an effort to see the effects of the radiation.

Tim Mousseau, a professor of biology at the University of South Carolina, visited the site with Anders Møller of the Université Paris-Sud and discovered that the trees in the nearby Red Forest died, but their trunks remained largely intact.

"We were stepping over all these dead trees on the ground that had been killed by the initial blast," Mousseau said in a statement obtained by LiveScience.com. "Years later, these tree trunks were in pretty good shape. If a tree had fallen in my backyard, it would be sawdust in 10 years or so."

To test out the theory that it was the contaminated Chernobyl site contributing to the slow decay, the team of researchers collected hundreds of samples of leaf litter from a noncontaminated area. They packaged the leaves in bags made out of pantyhose in order to let air in and situated them throughout the Chernobyl site.

According to LiveScience.com, those samples of leaves showed 40 percent less decomposition than samples placed in non-contaminated sites.

It makes sense, Mousseau said, because radiation has been shown to drastically decrease the amount of bacteria, microorganisms, and fungi in a sample. Radiation treatments are even sometimes harmful to cancer patients because it kills off the good bacteria in a person's intestines, LiveScience.com noted.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Chernobyl Study: 30 Years After Blast, Trees Are Barely Decomposed
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 07:23:47 am »
Let me see.

Radiation kills living organisms (except cockroaches)
Living organisms eat dead ones, causing decay.
Without living organisms, the only decay is weathering.
Weathering is really slow. The pyramids are still there, and they get sandblasted every so often.

Grant money please?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

SPQR

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 08:59:38 am »
Let me see.

Radiation kills living organisms (except cockroaches)
Living organisms eat dead ones, causing decay.
Without living organisms, the only decay is weathering.
Weathering is really slow. The pyramids are still there, and they get sandblasted every so often.

Grant money please?

Its a legitimate study especially trees being exposed for long term radiation. They also want to know whether a forest fire will release radiation into the atmosphere. At Bikini Atoll and at Christmas Island  there are trees that are constantly monitored for radiation by the DOE

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2011/apr/26/chernobyl-radioactive-fires-global-danger
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 09:07:52 am by SPQR »

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 01:23:43 pm »
The trees have a nice "glow" though. :silly:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 01:27:24 pm »
The trees have a nice "glow" though. :silly:
No Christmas lights needed.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 08:38:59 pm »
Radiation produces botox in trees? Nancy Pelosi and Lurch may now pull out all the stops to save Ukraine from the Russkies.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 08:50:45 pm »
Its a legitimate study especially trees being exposed for long term radiation. They also want to know whether a forest fire will release radiation into the atmosphere. At Bikini Atoll and at Christmas Island  there are trees that are constantly monitored for radiation by the DOE

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2011/apr/26/chernobyl-radioactive-fires-global-danger

:laugh: I have a dry sense of humor at times.

I'm in favor of blue sky research - there is still so much we simply don't know, and "burn the forest and see" is not a viable option in this study. While it would give answers fast, it is sort of permanent and irreversible.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

SPQR

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 05:15:38 am »
There has been reports of mutant butterflies and other fauna around the Fukushima plant. I know at DOE sites they plant gardens to see if there is any radiation in fruits and vegetables. They also check whether these fruits and vegetables are editable to human beings.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/attack-mutant-butterflies-radiation-fukushima-nuclear-disaster-leading-abnormalities-study-article-1.1136343
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 05:28:40 am by SPQR »

rangerrebew

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 02:28:47 pm »
There has been reports of mutant butterflies and other fauna around the Fukushima plant. I know at DOE sites they plant gardens to see if there is any radiation in fruits and vegetables. They also check whether these fruits and vegetables are editable to human beings.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/attack-mutant-butterflies-radiation-fukushima-nuclear-disaster-leading-abnormalities-study-article-1.1136343

Judging be what I see lately, they must be tested on democratic politicians. :whistle: