Author Topic: Mitch McConnell’s Modest Contract with America  (Read 5738 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Mitch McConnell’s Modest Contract with America
« on: March 16, 2014, 04:12:42 pm »
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/mitch-mcconnell-s-modest-contract-america_784999.html

Politicians out of power like to promise the moon and the stars to voters. They make contracts and pledges to America. Some vow to make the oceans recede and usher in a new era of hope and change. Others merely claim they have the power to make D.C. listen. But you don’t hear any grand promises coming from Mitch McConnell, the Senate minority leader who hopes to become majority leader if the 2014 elections go the GOP's way. He just wants to put some points on the board.
Sen Mitch McConnell official

“We’re hoping the American people will give us a chance to set the agenda,” McConnell told THE WEEKLY STANDARD in an interview. “I’ve been the defensive coordinator for eight years. I’d like to have a chance to be the offensive coordinator. You can score on defense—I thought the Budget Control Act was an example of scoring on defense—but it’s harder to score on defense.”

But how many points can Republicans score—what can they practically achieve with majorities in the House and the Senate—as long as the White House is occupied by President Obama? “I think that will depend on him,” McConnell said, referring to the president. “If your definition of achievement is actually having something signed into law, we obviously have to be completely honest with our supporters that that will depend upon him being willing to support what we’ve done.”

McConnell mentioned free trade agreements and “comprehensive revenue-neutral tax reform” as areas where the president might be willing to drop his current demands (on tax reform, Obama wants $1 trillion in new revenue) and work with Republicans if they win a majority. That may be good policy, but it’s unlikely to inspire Tea Partiers. "In Washington, what passes for bold is, 'Hey, we're for revenue neutral tax reform.' It's like, I don't care. I would just as soon be back at home or practicing medicine," Kentucky's junior senator Rand Paul said in a recent speech.

What will Republicans do on immigration with a Senate majority? McConnell voted against “comprehensive immigration reform” earlier this year, but would he be willing to bring up a bill that included a path to citizenship? “I can’t imagine that a Republican Congress is going to be interested in giving the kind of bonus for an illegal entry,” he said.

What about a bill that stopped short of granting full citizenship but legalized the status of illegal immigrants? “I’m interested in the other parts of the bill,” McConnell said. “I think we ought to move to a merit-based legal immigration system and move away from things like country quotas and chain migration. There are improvements that ought to be made. I don’t think we’re there yet on border security. We’d be open to discussing the issue,” McConnell said. But, he added, such measures would be moved “in pieces,” not in a “comprehensive” bill.

On health care, Republicans will face a dilemma if they win a Senate majority. Will they pass a bill that both repeals Obamacare and replaces it with a conservative alternative? Or is it pointless to vote on a replacement plan until a Republican occupies the White House? McConnell didn’t give a definitive answer, saying, “we’ll have to see what it looks like. Our goal is to get rid of the entire thing.”

“We will pursue also a lot of the good ideas that have been percolating both in the House and Senate. Over there, they’ve passed a lot of legislation that is very, very good and drops into a black hole. That won’t happen anymore,” McConnell said. “We’ll put things on the president’s desk that he may veto, and that’s the way it is. But we may be able to put some things on that he’ll sign.”

“If he hangs out on the left, like he has since the 2010 election, honestly I think it will be difficult to get right-of-center achievements signed into law,” McConnell said. “If he moves to the center like Bill Clinton did who signed welfare reform and agree with a Republican Congress to balance the budget, we may be able to do some business together. It’s really up to him.”

Of course, unlike Clinton in 1995, Obama is not concerned about his own reelection anymore. And after the 2013 government shutdown, Republicans are unlikely to engage in the kind of brinksmanship on the debt ceiling that resulted in the passage of the 2011 Budget Control Act. This year, Republican leaders, including McConnell, allowed a debt limit hike with no strings attached until March 2015. “I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of some kind of achievement for the country in connection with raising the debt ceiling,” McConnell said. “Sometimes it’s been a pretty good tool. Certainly it wasn’t lately.”

The only reason to think President Obama would work with a Republican congressional majority is that he genuinely believes a policy is a good idea or thinks public opinion requires a compromise to protect his legacy and keep the White House in Democratic hands. In other words, Republicans have reason to hope, but they shouldn’t expect too much change—at least not until 2017.

McConnell’s assessment of what Republicans can accomplish the next two years will strike his fans as Madisonian realism, but it will come across as establishmentarian weakness to his detractors who are now waging a bitter primary campaign against him in Kentucky. That feud escalated this week after McConnell told the New York Times: “I think we are going to crush them everywhere.”

“I don’t think they are going to have a single nominee anywhere in the country,” he said. The Times reported that McConnell was “referring to the network of activist organizations working against him and two Republican incumbents in Kansas and Mississippi while engaging in a handful of other contests.” But McConnell told me he was referring to just one organization—the Senate Conservatives Fund—and does not have a preference in open-seat races, such as Nebraska, where the SCF has endorsed a candidate.

“I think it’s important to remember a couple things. Number one, the Senate Conservatives Fund started the fight with me. They picked the fight. I didn’t,” McConnell said. He called said the SCF is simply out to make a buck and has “been giving conservatism a bad name.”

“A group that buys a luxury townhouse on Capitol Hill that has a hot tub and a wine cellar strikes me as a group primarily interested in doing well for themselves,” McConnell said. “We know their business model is only to criticize Republicans, ignoring the fact with their donors that we have a Democratic Senate and that Barack Obama is in the White House. So that’s the group that I singled out. I’m a fan of the enthusiasm that the Tea Party movement writ large has brought to our country.”

McConnell blamed the SCF, a group instrumental in engineering the “defund Obamacare” campaign that precipitated the government shutdown, for focusing on “cooked up tactical differences that have done a lot of damage to our ability to govern.” Asked if the shutdown did lasting damage to the Republican party, McConnell said: “There would have been, but fortunately once the attention turned to Obamacare, 16 days later than it would have otherwise, I think we got a second chance, and the American people are taking a second look at us.”

“The lesson obviously that was learned was that the Speaker and I were correct when we said to Republicans as early as July that that was a strategy that had no chance of success,” he added. “That was proven.”

“I think it’s important to remind everybody that only winners make policy, losers go home,” McConnell said. “We’ve lost four or five seats in the last two cycles with candidates who regretfully simply couldn’t get elected in a general election contest.” The Senate Conservatives Fund has certainly endorsed some candidates who couldn’t win in states like Colorado, Delaware, and Indiana in recent years, but conservative activists point out that McConnell has made some pretty bad picks, too. In 2010, McConnell backed Trey Grayson over Rand Paul in the Kentucky primary. He also supported Florida governor Charlie Crist (now running again for governor, this time as a Democrat) over Marco Rubio.

Does McConnell regret supporting Crist and Grayson? He didn’t directly answer the question after being asked twice, but after the third attempt, he conceded: “I ended up being on the wrong side of the Kentucky primary in 2010. We all ended up being on the right side of the Florida primary before it was over. And obviously I’m proud of the fact that Rand Paul has become a friend and ally and supported me in my campaign.”

Conservative activists resent being blamed for Senate losses in states like Missouri and Indiana, while establishment Republicans never take the fall for their candidates who lost in deep-red states like North Dakota and Montana. “We didn’t do as well as we should have. There’s no question about that,” McConnell said, when asked about those losses. But he argued that failures in North Dakota and Montana weren’t like losses in states like Indiana because there wasn’t a competitive primary in which the establishment candidate beat an electable conservative challenger.

One of the biggest complaints against McConnell among his critics on the right is that Republicans spent too much money under President Bush, and if we keep the same team around we’ll just end up going back to old ways. Asked if GOP Congresses spent too much money in the Bush era, McConnell replied: “I think it’s time to quit relitigating the Bush years. The big spending, particularly the first the first two years of the Obama years, dwarfed anything that was done before that.” Asked at the end of the interview why he hasn’t agreed to debate his Republican primary challenger Matt Bevin, McConnell simply said: “I’m not interested in talking about the campaign.” McConnell said he's focused on conveying to voters that "we’re responsible adults who are here to govern if given the opportunity by the American people to actually set the agenda here in the Senate."

Update: This article originally reported that Trey Grayson "now heads up a Democratic super PAC." Grayson emails to say that he resigned in January 2013 from his role as co-chairman of Gabby Giffords's super PAC.

Oceander

Re: Mitch McConnell’s Modest Contract with America
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 04:15:39 pm »
If the SCF is so inconsequential, why is McConnell paying them any attention whatsoever?  It sounds more like personal pique than anything else, and that's just childish.

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 04:38:23 pm »
If the SCF is so inconsequential, why is McConnell paying them any attention whatsoever?  It sounds more like personal pique than anything else, and that's just childish.

They are inconsequential in the primary against McConnell.  They are damaging in the general election against Grimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKBTQhTTUnY

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 04:50:43 pm »
The entire interview is just repeating his war on the TP. With more promises things will change. I am trying to be objective in wondering how many times do they think they will be given a chance by anybody? Even if they were to be given the break McConnell asks for in the article, because Obama is so partisan... Their colors come shining through in putting forth McCains for the POTUS nominee. It is like they want to fail. Fine, that they are established moderates but they must address their move to the left. McCain was sounding like a Crist there for awhile. We can't be fooled again. Stop calling conservatives wacko birds and give them prominent positions in the old guard!
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 05:36:05 pm »
http://p.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/15/rick-perry-visits-rand-paul-territory/

Texas Gov. Perry throws support behind McConnell

Saturday, March 15, 2014

MURRAY, Ky. (AP) - Texas Gov. Rick Perry threw his support behind U.S. Sen. Mitch McConnell on Saturday, telling 300 fellow Republicans that the minority leader will win re-election.

McConnell finds himself in a GOP primary fight with wealthy businessman Matt Bevin, who attended the event but wasn’t allowed to speak.

“I love the number six,” Perry told the crowd at the Lincoln Reagan Dinner of West Kentucky. “Sam Houston was 6 foot 6 inches tall. And Mitch McConnell is going to be in his sixth term as United States senator.”

Organizers said the dinner was supposed to unite the Kentucky GOP behind one mission: taking control of the Kentucky House of Representatives in November. But speakers talked just as much about taking control of the U.S. Senate so McConnell could become majority leader.

“The future of America is inextricably intertwined with Kentucky and how these elections come out this time,” Perry told the crowd.

But first, McConnell must fend off a challenge from Bevin, who has attracted the backing of tea party groups. The primary is May 20.

Organizers said the dinner was not intended to endorse McConnell, but every table had “Mitch ‘14” bumper stickers on them.

Before the dinner, Bevin and some volunteers shook hands outside.

“I’m running for U.S. Senate against Mitch McConnell. I’m the guy you’re not supposed to know about,” Bevin told a McConnell supporter.

McConnell spoke after Perry, calling his Democratic opponent Alison Lundergan Grimes the “face of the status quo.” He also said Sen. Rand Paul was “an incredible and electable candidate for president of the United States.” Both Paul and Perry are considered prospective 2016 presidential candidates.

McConnell made no mention of Bevin. Bevin told reporters he was not surprised, adding that it was no coincidence the Kentucky Republican Party - headquartered in the Mitch McConnell Building in Frankfort - goes to great lengths to “have people think there is not a race.”

snip
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 06:04:10 pm »
The entire interview is just repeating his war on the TP. With more promises things will change. I am trying to be objective in wondering how many times do they think they will be given a chance by anybody? Even if they were to be given the break McConnell asks for in the article, because Obama is so partisan... Their colors come shining through in putting forth McCains for the POTUS nominee. It is like they want to fail. Fine, that they are established moderates but they must address their move to the left. McCain was sounding like a Crist there for awhile. We can't be fooled again. Stop calling conservatives wacko birds and give them prominent positions in the old guard!

McCain wasn't put forth by the GOPe.  He decided to run for President and won the nomination.  All you gotta do to win the nomination is get millions and millions of people to vote for you in the primaries.  Put up a candidate that doesn't scare primary voters and see what happens.

Bush Sr, Dole, Dubya, McCain, Romney. and you say you can't be fooled again?  That is just talk like the threat to primary out the leadership.

http://www.newsmax.com/NewsmaxTv/Kibbe-McConnell-debt-ceiling/2014/02/13/id/552704/

Kibbe also lashed out at Senate Minority Whip John Cornyn for not standing up for conservative issues. The FreedomWorks president said his group is closely watching the Texas primary where Steve Stockman is challenging Cornyn.

"We're waiting to see how that primary works out because there's other challengers to John Cornyn as well," he said.

Not anymore Kibbe.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/kentucky-tea-party-mitch-mcconnell-election/2014/01/22/id/548519/

In response to the Bevin endorsement, McConnell spokeswoman Allison Moore told the Courier-Journal: "Freedomworks was a constructive partner in the conservative movement and had been supportive of Senator McConnell's efforts to stop Obamacare and protect the First Amendment when many organizations were afraid to speak out, but internal problems unfortunately have changed their focus from conservative reform to conservative cannibalism in order to pay the bills.

"So, today, instead of standing with Kentucky conservatives, a group that used to pride itself on grassroots empowerment has endorsed a self-funding New England millionaire who takes taxpayer bailouts and falsely claims he attended MIT," Moore said in a statement.

http://www.senateconservatives.com/site/post/2325/scf-endorses-matt-bevin-for-u-s-senate

The GOPe gave the Tea Party a chance to lead.  For months Sen Cruz and Sen Lee warned their colleagues that failure to defund Obamacare would be televised and streamed live, and the Senate Conservative Fund set up their little how popular is shutting down the government website with a checklist of most the Senators who snubbed the idea or were vocally critical.  So the GOP didn't fund Obamacare.  The day after the shutdown the GOPe said "This is your plan, you're in charge Sen Cruz...what's the plan?"

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/ted-cruz-blasted-by-angry-gop-colleagues-government-shutdown-97753.html
“It was very evident to everyone in the room that Cruz doesn’t have a strategy – he never had a strategy, and could never answer a question about what the end-game was,” said one senator who attended the meeting. “I just wish the 35 House members that have bought the snake oil that was sold could witness what was witnessed today at lunch.”

14 days of no plan and 24 hour coverage...

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/ted-cruz-government-shutdown-98398.html
Cruz did rake in the cash, ringing up nearly $800,000 in the third quarter through his joint fundraising committee, according to Federal Election Commission records. His overall haul for the quarter that ended Sept. 30 was $1.19 million, according to multiple reports.

Both Cruz and Sen. Mike Lee of Utah, Cruz’s compatriot in the anti-Obamacare fight, spoke up at the closed-door party meeting on Wednesday morning at which leaders unveiled the details of the agreement. The two senators said they would not object to swift consideration of the deal but said little otherwise, according to sources.

Lee kept a much lower profile on Wednesday. He did not immediately issue a statement on the agreement negotiated between Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and he was barely spotted by reporters roaming Capitol Hill. He delivered a floor speech early Wednesday evening, saying “it’s always worth it to do the right thing.”

“Fighting against an abusive government in defense of protecting the individual rights of the American people is always the right thing,” Lee said. “Some say we shouldn’t have fought because we couldn’t win, but this country wasn’t built by fighting only when victory was absolutely certain.”

This country certainly wasn't built by fighting battles we knew we couldn't win.  That is called suicide.

I used to consider myself a fan of the Tea Party, but it has morphed into a destructive, irrational, and indignant albatross and a net negative in the GOP efforts to attract a majority of voters.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 06:23:31 pm »

This country certainly wasn't built by fighting battles we knew we couldn't win.   

9999what     I seem to remember reading about a little squabble with the British empire. 

I'm guessing you'd have been right there with the political class calling for the status quo because they were convinced the US would be fighting battles they couldn't win.   **nononono*   

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 06:30:03 pm »
9999what     I seem to remember reading about a little squabble with the British empire. 

I'm guessing you'd have been right there with the political class calling for the status quo because they were convinced the US would be fighting battles they couldn't win.   **nononono*   

You got that right! Approximately 30% of the Colonies thought that taking the fight to the British Occupiers was the right thing to do.

Personally, I prefer the challenge of "fighting battles we cannot win". That's what Real Americans do best. WIN.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 06:40:30 pm »
When you dare to stand up to the establishment, the odds are almost always against you.  We would never have revolutions if people refused to engage in battles they had a slim chance to win.

:patriot: 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 06:42:27 pm »

I seem to remember Washington retreating a lot until he had sufficient force to attack.  I tried googling "General George Washington's reckless charge" but mostly came up with porn. 

Maybe the GOP should win enough seats to have a majority before they start demanding the rats relinquish control.

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 06:44:51 pm »
When you dare to stand up to the establishment, the odds are almost always against you.  We would never have revolutions if people refused to engage in battles they had a slim chance to win.

:patriot:

That's fine, just don't be disappointed when the Tea Party has less influence in 2014, and keep on losing those battles.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 06:52:51 pm »
There are several reasons for the decline of Tea Party favorable, and increases in unfavorable.  Among them:

No central organization.  Too many lousy candidates. Probably a shortage of money.

Original popular message on fiscal sanity has drifted to now instead be attacks on other Republicans, and unpopular social positions of the lousy candidates. Akins, Angle, Buck, Cuccinelli, Mourdock, O'Donnel ALL oppose abortions in cases of rape, for example. That is an extremely unpopular position, and TP candidates expressing this view will probably lose in anything but the deepest Bible Belt areas.

It is too bad such a good idea has devolved into today's cries of victimhood, conspiracies, etc. to gloss over the failures to gain traction and grow instead of shrink.

Had they picked good candidates, and stayed on message they would be more influential and successful.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 07:21:16 pm »
The Tea Party may lose influence as a concrete organization.

The Tea Party spirit however, will never die.  Not until America dies with them.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline speekinout

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 07:30:52 pm »
I was initially a fan of the Tea Party. I considered myself to be part of it. But the concept of a grass roots Tea Party has not worked out all that well. There is no central leadership or control. And while it is true that America has fought many battles where there was a slim chance of winning (and won some, but lost some), there was always a general in charge with a plan and a strategy.

The Tea Party does not have a general, a plan, a strategy, or even a good definition of the battle they're fighting. There are just groups who are fighting small battles that are usually about defeating an incumbent. That's not a cause I can get all excited about.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 07:43:16 pm »
Anybody that simply is fed up with the status quo is suddenly one with everything the Tea Party stands for.

"Welcome to the party, pal".....indeed!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline happyg

Oceander

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 09:26:18 pm »
There are several reasons for the decline of Tea Party favorable, and increases in unfavorable.  Among them:

No central organization.  Too many lousy candidates. Probably a shortage of money.

Original popular message on fiscal sanity has drifted to now instead be attacks on other Republicans, and unpopular social positions of the lousy candidates. Akins, Angle, Buck, Cuccinelli, Mourdock, O'Donnel ALL oppose abortions in cases of rape, for example. That is an extremely unpopular position, and TP candidates expressing this view will probably lose in anything but the deepest Bible Belt areas.

It is too bad such a good idea has devolved into today's cries of victimhood, conspiracies, etc. to gloss over the failures to gain traction and grow instead of shrink.

Had they picked good candidates, and stayed on message they would be more influential and successful.

true enough

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 09:55:55 pm »
25% of all senators are 70 or older with 10% over 75.
66% or two thirds of all senators are 60 or over.

When is enough, enough? When are we going to clean house and get people in Congress who represent the 21st century instead of these hippies who are still stuck in the 60s?

Term Limits now. Age Limits now. If you are freakin' 81 years old, for Christ's sake, it is time to give it up, no matter how much money you are making. What are you going to do with millions in kick backs anyway, if you are over 80? It is not like you are going to go skiing in Aspen, or buy hookers in Vegas. Why? Why do you need more.

To me this represents a kind of 'pure greed'. It is just gripping on to money and power for no reason, just for the sake of it, just for the pure lust and greed of it. These people are truely evil.

We have to, we must find a way to get rid of them. My understanding of the founding documents is that there never was a thought of a 'professional politician', a politician 'for life', or the establishment of a permanent 'ruling class'. This is ridiculous. We have to clean house and get rid of these government parasites.

Rank
by age
[/t] Senator
 State
 Date of birth
 Date of
taking office Age at
taking office Length of Senate
term to date Current age
 Party   1 Dianne Feinstein California June 22, 1933 November 10, 1992 59 years, 141 days 21 years, 126 days 80 years, 267 days Democratic  2 Chuck Grassley Iowa September 17, 1933 January 3, 1981 47 years, 108 days 33 years, 72 days 80 years, 180 days Republican  3 Orrin Hatch Utah March 22, 1934 January 3, 1977 42 years, 287 days 37 years, 72 days 79 years, 359 days Republican  4 Richard Shelby Alabama May 6, 1934 January 3, 1987 52 years, 242 days 27 years, 72 days 79 years, 314 days Republican  5 Carl Levin Michigan June 28, 1934 January 3, 1979 44 years, 189 days 35 years, 72 days 79 years, 261 days Democratic  6 Jim Inhofe Oklahoma November 17, 1934 November 17, 1994 60 years, 0 days 19 years, 119 days 79 years, 119 days Republican  7 Pat Roberts Kansas April 20, 1936 January 3, 1997 60 years, 258 days 17 years, 72 days 77 years, 330 days Republican  8 Barbara Mikulski Maryland July 20, 1936 January 3, 1987 50 years, 167 days 27 years, 72 days 77 years, 239 days Democratic  9 John McCain Arizona August 29, 1936 January 3, 1987 50 years, 127 days 27 years, 72 days 77 years, 199 days Republican  10 Jay Rockefeller West Virginia June 18, 1937 January 15, 1985 47 years, 211 days 29 years, 60 days 76 years, 271 days Democratic  11 Thad Cochran Mississippi December 7, 1937 December 27, 1978 41 years, 20 days 35 years, 79 days 76 years, 99 days Republican  12 Tom Harkin Iowa November 19, 1939 January 3, 1985 45 years, 45 days 29 years, 72 days 74 years, 117 days Democratic  13 Harry Reid Nevada December 2, 1939 January 3, 1987 47 years, 32 days 27 years, 72 days 74 years, 104 days Democratic  14 Patrick Leahy Vermont March 31, 1940 January 3, 1975 34 years, 278 days 39 years, 72 days 73 years, 350 days Democratic  15 Lamar Alexander Tennessee July 3, 1940 January 3, 2003 62 years, 184 days 11 years, 72 days 73 years, 256 days Republican  16 Barbara Boxer California November 11, 1940 January 3, 1993 52 years, 53 days 21 years, 72 days 73 years, 125 days Democratic  17 Bernie Sanders Vermont September 8, 1941 January 3, 2007 65 years, 117 days 7 years, 72 days 72 years, 189 days Independent[1]  18 Mitch McConnell Kentucky February 20, 1942 January 3, 1985 42 years, 318 days 29 years, 72 days 72 years, 24 days Republican  19 Bill Nelson Florida September 29, 1942 January 3, 2001 58 years, 96 days 13 years, 72 days 71 years, 168 days Democratic  20 Jim Risch Idaho May 3, 1943 January 3, 2009 65 years, 245 days 5 years, 72 days 70 years, 317 days Republican  21 Dan Coats Indiana May 16, 1943 January 3, 2011 67 years, 232 days 3 years, 72 days 70 years, 304 days Republican  22 Ben Cardin Maryland October 5, 1943 January 3, 2007 63 years, 90 days 7 years, 72 days 70 years, 162 days Democratic  23 Saxby Chambliss Georgia November 10, 1943 January 3, 2003 59 years, 54 days 11 years, 72 days 70 years, 126 days Republican  24 Mike Enzi Wyoming February 1, 1944 January 3, 1997 52 years, 337 days 17 years, 72 days 70 years, 43 days Republican  25 Angus King Maine March 31, 1944 January 3, 2013 68 years, 278 days 1 year, 72 days 69 years, 350 days Independent[1]  26 Dick Durbin Illinois November 21, 1944 January 3, 1997 52 years, 43 days 17 years, 72 days 69 years, 115 days Democratic  27 Johnny Isakson Georgia December 28, 1944 January 3, 2005 60 years, 6 days 9 years, 72 days 69 years, 78 days Republican  28 Richard Blumenthal Connecticut February 13, 1946 January 3, 2011 64 years, 324 days 3 years, 72 days 68 years, 31 days Democratic  29 Ed Markey Massachusetts July 11, 1946 July 16, 2013 67 years, 5 days 0 years, 243 days 67 years, 248 days Democratic  30 Jeff Sessions Alabama December 24, 1946 January 3, 1997 50 years, 10 days 17 years, 72 days 67 years, 82 days Republican  31 Tim Johnson South Dakota December 28, 1946 January 3, 1997 50 years, 6 days 17 years, 72 days 67 years, 78 days Democratic  32 Tom Carper Delaware January 23, 1947 January 3, 2001 53 years, 346 days 13 years, 72 days 67 years, 52 days Democratic  33 Jeanne Shaheen New Hampshire January 28, 1947 January 3, 2009 61 years, 341 days 5 years, 72 days 67 years, 47 days Democratic  34 Joe Manchin West Virginia August 24, 1947 November 15, 2010 63 years, 83 days 3 years, 121 days 66 years, 204 days Democratic  35 Mazie Hirono Hawaii November 3, 1947 January 3, 2013 65 years, 61 days 1 year, 72 days 66 years, 133 days Democratic  36 Tom Coburn Oklahoma March 14, 1948 January 3, 2005 56 years, 295 days 9 years, 72 days 66 years, 2 days Republican  37 Tom Udall New Mexico May 18, 1948 January 3, 2009 60 years, 230 days 5 years, 72 days 65 years, 302 days Democratic  38 Ron Wyden Oregon May 3, 1949 February 6, 1996 46 years, 279 days 18 years, 38 days 64 years, 317 days Democratic  39 Elizabeth Warren Massachusetts June 22, 1949 January 3, 2013 63 years, 195 days 1 year, 72 days 64 years, 267 days Democratic  40 Jack Reed Rhode Island November 12, 1949 January 3, 1997 47 years, 52 days 17 years, 72 days 64 years, 124 days Democratic  41 Roy Blunt Missouri January 10, 1950 January 3, 2011 60 years, 358 days 3 years, 72 days 64 years, 65 days Republican  42 Debbie Stabenow Michigan April 29, 1950 January 3, 2001 50 years, 249 days 13 years, 72 days 63 years, 321 days Democratic  43 Mike Johanns Nebraska June 18, 1950 January 3, 2009 58 years, 199 days 5 years, 72 days 63 years, 271 days Republican  44 Mark Udall Colorado July 18, 1950 January 3, 2009 58 years, 169 days 5 years, 72 days 63 years, 241 days Democratic  45 Patty Murray Washington October 11, 1950 January 3, 1993 42 years, 84 days 21 years, 72 days 63 years, 156 days Democratic  46 Chuck Schumer New York November 23, 1950 January 3, 1999 48 years, 41 days 15 years, 72 days 63 years, 113 days Democratic  47 John Boozman Arkansas December 10, 1950 January 3, 2011 60 years, 24 days 3 years, 72 days 63 years, 96 days Republican  48 Deb Fischer Nebraska March 1, 1951 January 3, 2013 61 years, 308 days 1 year, 72 days 63 years, 15 days Republican  49 Mike Crapo Idaho May 20, 1951 January 3, 1999 47 years, 228 days 15 years, 72 days 62 years, 300 days Republican  50 Al Franken Minnesota May 21, 1951 July 7, 2009 58 years, 47 days 4 years, 252 days 62 years, 299 days Democratic  51 Roger Wicker Mississippi July 5, 1951 December 31, 2007 56 years, 179 days 6 years, 75 days 62 years, 254 days Republican  52 John Cornyn Texas February 2, 1952 December 1, 2002 50 years, 302 days 11 years, 105 days 62 years, 42 days Republican  53 John Barrasso Wyoming July 21, 1952 June 25, 2007 54 years, 339 days 6 years, 264 days 61 years, 238 days Republican  54 Bob Corker Tennessee August 24, 1952 January 3, 2007 54 years, 132 days 7 years, 72 days 61 years, 204 days Republican  55 Sherrod Brown Ohio November 9, 1952 January 3, 2007 54 years, 55 days 7 years, 72 days 61 years, 127 days Democratic  56 Susan Collins Maine December 7, 1952 January 3, 1997 44 years, 27 days 17 years, 72 days 61 years, 99 days Republican  57 Kay Hagan North Carolina May 26, 1953 January 3, 2009 55 years, 222 days 5 years, 72 days 60 years, 294 days Democratic  58 Claire McCaskill Missouri July 24, 1953 January 3, 2007 53 years, 163 days 7 years, 72 days 60 years, 235 days Democratic  59 Bob Menendez New Jersey January 1, 1954 January 18, 2006 52 years, 17 days 8 years, 57 days 60 years, 74 days Democratic  60 Jerry Moran Kansas May 29, 1954 January 3, 2011 56 years, 219 days 3 years, 72 days 59 years, 291 days Republican  61 Mark Warner Virginia December 15, 1954 January 3, 2009 54 years, 19 days 5 years, 72 days 59 years, 91 days Democratic  62 Ron Johnson Wisconsin April 8, 1955 January 3, 2011 55 years, 270 days 3 years, 72 days 58 years, 342 days Republican  63 Lindsey Graham South Carolina July 9, 1955 January 3, 2003 47 years, 178 days 11 years, 72 days 58 years, 250 days Republican  64 Joe Donnelly Indiana September 29, 1955 January 3, 2013 57 years, 96 days 1 year, 72 days 58 years, 168 days Democratic  65 Sheldon Whitehouse Rhode Island October 20, 1955 January 3, 2007 51 years, 75 days 7 years, 72 days 58 years, 147 days Democratic  66 Heidi Heitkamp North Dakota October 30, 1955 January 3, 2013 57 years, 65 days 1 year, 72 days 58 years, 137 days Democratic  67 Mary Landrieu Louisiana November 23, 1955 January 3, 1997 41 years, 41 days 17 years, 72 days 58 years, 113 days Democratic  68 Richard Burr North Carolina November 30, 1955 January 3, 2005 49 years, 34 days 9 years, 72 days 58 years, 106 days Republican  69 Rob Portman Ohio December 19, 1955 January 3, 2011 55 years, 15 days 3 years, 72 days 58 years, 87 days Republican  70 Jon Tester Montana August 21, 1956 January 3, 2007 50 years, 135 days 7 years, 72 days 57 years, 207 days Democratic  71 Jeff Merkley Oregon October 24, 1956 January 3, 2009 52 years, 71 days 5 years, 72 days 57 years, 143 days Democratic  72 John Hoeven North Dakota March 13, 1957 January 3, 2011 53 years, 296 days 3 years, 72 days 57 years, 3 days Republican  73 Lisa Murkowski Alaska May 22, 1957 December 20, 2002 45 years, 212 days 11 years, 86 days 56 years, 298 days Republican  74 Tim Kaine Virginia February 26, 1958 January 3, 2013 54 years, 312 days 1 year, 72 days 56 years, 18 days Democratic  75 Maria Cantwell Washington October 13, 1958 January 3, 2001 42 years, 82 days 13 years, 72 days 55 years, 154 days Democratic  76 Mark Kirk Illinois September 15, 1959 November 29, 2010 51 years, 75 days 3 years, 107 days 54 years, 182 days Republican  77 Bob Casey, Jr. Pennsylvania April 13, 1960 January 3, 2007 46 years, 265 days 7 years, 72 days 53 years, 337 days Democratic  78 Dean Heller Nevada May 10, 1960 May 9, 2011 50 years, 364 days 2 years, 311 days 53 years, 310 days Republican  79 Amy Klobuchar Minnesota May 25, 1960 January 3, 2007 46 years, 223 days 7 years, 72 days 53 years, 295 days Democratic  80 John Walsh Montana November 3, 1960 February 9, 2014 53 years, 98 days 0 years, 35 days 53 years, 133 days Democratic  81 John Thune South Dakota January 7, 1961 January 3, 2005 43 years, 362 days 9 years, 72 days 53 years, 68 days Republican  82 David Vitter Louisiana May 3, 1961 January 3, 2005 43 years, 245 days 9 years, 72 days 52 years, 317 days Republican  83 Pat Toomey Pennsylvania November 17, 1961 January 3, 2011 49 years, 47 days 3 years, 72 days 52 years, 119 days Republican  84 Tammy Baldwin Wisconsin February 11, 1962 January 3, 2013 50 years, 327 days 1 year, 72 days 52 years, 33 days Democratic  85 Mark Begich Alaska March 30, 1962 January 3, 2009 46 years, 279 days 5 years, 72 days 51 years, 351 days Democratic  86 Jeff Flake Arizona December 31, 1962 January 3, 2013 50 years, 3 days 1 year, 72 days 51 years, 75 days Republican  87 Rand Paul Kentucky January 7, 1963 January 3, 2011 47 years, 361 days 3 years, 72 days 51 years, 68 days Republican  88 Mark Pryor Arkansas January 10, 1963 January 3, 2003 39 years, 358 days 11 years, 72 days 51 years, 65 days Democratic  89 Chris Coons Delaware September 9, 1963 November 15, 2010 47 years, 67 days 3 years, 121 days 50 years, 188 days Democratic  90 Michael Bennet Colorado November 28, 1964 January 21, 2009 44 years, 54 days 5 years, 54 days 49 years, 108 days Democratic  91 Tim Scott South Carolina September 19, 1965 January 2, 2013 47 years, 105 days 1 year, 73 days 48 years, 178 days Republican  92 Kirsten Gillibrand New York December 9, 1966 January 26, 2009 42 years, 48 days 5 years, 49 days 47 years, 97 days Democratic  93 Kelly Ayotte New Hampshire June 27, 1968 January 3, 2011 42 years, 190 days 3 years, 72 days 45 years, 262 days Republican  94 Cory Booker New Jersey April 27, 1969 October 31, 2013 44 years, 187 days 0 years, 136 days 44 years, 323 days Democratic  95 Ted Cruz Texas December 22, 1970 January 3, 2013 42 years, 12 days 1 year, 72 days 43 years, 84 days Republican  96 Marco Rubio Florida May 28, 1971 January 3, 2011 39 years, 220 days 3 years, 72 days 42 years, 292 days Republican  97 Mike Lee Utah June 4, 1971 January 3, 2011 39 years, 213 days 3 years, 72 days 42 years, 285 days Republican  98 Martin Heinrich New Mexico October 17, 1971 January 3, 2013 41 years, 78 days 1 year, 72 days 42 years, 150 days Democratic  99 Brian Schatz Hawaii October 20, 1972 December 26, 2012 40 years, 67 days 1 year, 80 days 41 years, 147 days Democratic  100 Chris Murphy Connecticut August 3, 1973 January 3, 2013 39 years, 153 days 1 year, 72 days 40 years, 225 days Democratic
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 10:07:37 pm »
Term Limits now. Age Limits now. If you are freakin' 81 years old, for Christ's sake, it is time to give it up, no matter how much money you are making. What are you going to do with millions in kick backs anyway, if you are over 80? It is not like you are going to go skiing in Aspen, or buy hookers in Vegas. Why? Why do you need more.

To me this represents a kind of 'pure greed'. It is just gripping on to money and power for no reason, just for the sake of it, just for the pure lust and greed of it. These people are truely evil.

Spoken like a class-warfare Democrat. 

Who the hell are YOU to tell voters they can't have represent them the Senator they WANT to represent them?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 10:12:16 pm »
Spoken like a class-warfare Democrat. 

Who the hell are YOU to tell voters they can't have represent them the Senator they WANT to represent them?

As long as they are "bringing home the pork" everyone loves their own Congress Critter, but you ask most people and they will agree that there should be term limits.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 10:22:59 pm »
As long as they are "bringing home the pork" everyone loves their own Congress Critter, but you ask most people and they will agree that there should be term limits.

Good luck getting Congress to pass a Constitutional amendment advocating term limits. 

Also, a voter who says he likes his congressman but wants term limits is schizophrenic.  He gets a chance to vote the congressman out every two years.

Term limits is a big government solution to  a non-existent problem.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 10:23:59 pm »
There never was the intent that all politicians in D.C. leave their office in a pine box. When is enough, enough?

In the words of that old hag Pelosi, they can spend time with their family, and learn to paint and write poetry. All I am saying is that it is past time to free Washington politicians from 'job-lock'.

I am only concerned about their welfare, that's all.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 10:29:57 pm »
The Tea Party may lose influence as a concrete organization.

The Tea Party spirit however, will never die.  Not until America dies with them.
Hmmmm...where are the TEA PARTY Headquarters located? Who is Chairman of the TEA PARTY?  Do you have a number for the main switchboard?
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline happyg

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 10:30:45 pm »

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 10:36:34 pm »
25% of all senators are 70 or older with 10% over 75.
66% or two thirds of all senators are 60 or over.

When is enough, enough? When are we going to clean house and get people in Congress who represent the 21st century instead of these hippies who are still stuck in the 60s?

We have to, we must find a way to get rid of them. My understanding of the founding documents is that there never was a thought of a 'professional politician', a politician 'for life', or the establishment of a permanent 'ruling class'. This is ridiculous. We have to clean house and get rid of these government parasites.

Rank
by age
[/t] Senator
 State
 Date of birth
 Date of
taking office Age at
taking office Length of Senate
term to date Current age
 Party   1 Dianne Feinstein California June 22, 1933 November 10, 1992 59 years, 141 days 21 years, 126 days 80 years, 267 days Democratic  2 Chuck Grassley Iowa September 17, 1933 January 3, 1981 47 years, 108 days 33 years, 72 days 80 years, 180 days Republican  3 Orrin Hatch Utah March 22, 1934 January 3, 1977 42 years, 287 days 37 years, 72 days 79 years, 359 days Republican  4 Richard Shelby Alabama May 6, 1934 January 3, 1987 52 years, 242 days 27 years, 72 days 79 years, 314 days Republican  5 Carl Levin Michigan June 28, 1934 January 3, 1979 44 years, 189 days 35 years, 72 days 79 years, 261 days Democratic  6 Jim Inhofe Oklahoma November 17, 1934 November 17, 1994 60 years, 0 days 19 years, 119 days 79 years, 119 days Republican  7 Pat Roberts Kansas April 20, 1936 January 3, 1997 60 years, 258 days 17 years, 72 days 77 years, 330 days Republican  8 Barbara Mikulski Maryland July 20, 1936 January 3, 1987 50 years, 167 days 27 years, 72 days 77 years, 239 days Democratic  9 John McCain Arizona August 29, 1936 January 3, 1987 50 years, 127 days 27 years, 72 days 77 years, 199 days Republican  10 Jay Rockefeller West Virginia June 18, 1937 January 15, 1985 47 years, 211 days 29 years, 60 days 76 years, 271 days Democratic  11 Thad Cochran Mississippi December 7, 1937 December 27, 1978 41 years, 20 days 35 years, 79 days 76 years, 99 days Republican  12 Tom Harkin Iowa November 19, 1939 January 3, 1985 45 years, 45 days 29 years, 72 days 74 years, 117 days Democratic  13 Harry Reid Nevada December 2, 1939 January 3, 1987 47 years, 32 days 27 years, 72 days 74 years, 104 days Democratic  14 Patrick Leahy Vermont March 31, 1940 January 3, 1975 34 years, 278 days 39 years, 72 days 73 years, 350 days Democratic  15 Lamar Alexander Tennessee July 3, 1940 January 3, 2003 62 years, 184 days 11 years, 72 days 73 years, 256 days Republican  16 Barbara Boxer California November 11, 1940 January 3, 1993 52 years, 53 days 21 years, 72 days 73 years, 125 days Democratic  17 Bernie Sanders Vermont September 8, 1941 January 3, 2007 65 years, 117 days 7 years, 72 days 72 years, 189 days Independent[1]  18 Mitch McConnell Kentucky February 20, 1942 January 3, 1985 42 years, 318 days 29 years, 72 days 72 years, 24 days Republican  19 Bill Nelson Florida September 29, 1942 January 3, 2001 58 years, 96 days 13 years, 72 days 71 years, 168 days Democratic  20 Jim Risch Idaho May 3, 1943 January 3, 2009 65 years, 245 days 5 years, 72 days 70 years, 317 days Republican  21 Dan Coats Indiana May 16, 1943 January 3, 2011 67 years, 232 days 3 years, 72 days 70 years, 304 days Republican  22 Ben Cardin Maryland October 5, 1943 January 3, 2007 63 years, 90 days 7 years, 72 days 70 years, 162 days Democratic  23 Saxby Chambliss Georgia November 10, 1943 January 3, 2003 59 years, 54 days 11 years, 72 days 70 years, 126 days Republican  24 Mike Enzi Wyoming February 1, 1944 January 3, 1997 52 years, 337 days 17 years, 72 days 70 years, 43 days Republican  25 Angus King Maine March 31, 1944 January 3, 2013 68 years, 278 days 1 year, 72 days 69 years, 350 days Independent[1]  26 Dick Durbin Illinois November 21, 1944 January 3, 1997 52 years, 43 days 17 years, 72 days 69 years, 115 days Democratic  27 Johnny Isakson Georgia December 28, 1944 January 3, 2005 60 years, 6 days 9 years, 72 days 69 years, 78 days Republican  28 Richard Blumenthal Connecticut February 13, 1946 January 3, 2011 64 years, 324 days 3 years, 72 days 68 years, 31 days Democratic  29 Ed Markey Massachusetts July 11, 1946 July 16, 2013 67 years, 5 days 0 years, 243 days 67 years, 248 days Democratic  30 Jeff Sessions Alabama December 24, 1946 January 3, 1997 50 years, 10 days 17 years, 72 days 67 years, 82 days Republican  31 Tim Johnson South Dakota December 28, 1946 January 3, 1997 50 years, 6 days 17 years, 72 days 67 years, 78 days Democratic  32 Tom Carper Delaware January 23, 1947 January 3, 2001 53 years, 346 days 13 years, 72 days 67 years, 52 days Democratic  33 Jeanne Shaheen New Hampshire January 28, 1947 January 3, 2009 61 years, 341 days 5 years, 72 days 67 years, 47 days Democratic  34 Joe Manchin West Virginia August 24, 1947 November 15, 2010 63 years, 83 days 3 years, 121 days 66 years, 204 days Democratic  35 Mazie Hirono Hawaii November 3, 1947 January 3, 2013 65 years, 61 days 1 year, 72 days 66 years, 133 days Democratic  36 Tom Coburn Oklahoma March 14, 1948 January 3, 2005 56 years, 295 days 9 years, 72 days 66 years, 2 days Republican  37 Tom Udall New Mexico May 18, 1948 January 3, 2009 60 years, 230 days 5 years, 72 days 65 years, 302 days Democratic  38 Ron Wyden Oregon May 3, 1949 February 6, 1996 46 years, 279 days 18 years, 38 days 64 years, 317 days Democratic  39 Elizabeth Warren Massachusetts June 22, 1949 January 3, 2013 63 years, 195 days 1 year, 72 days 64 years, 267 days Democratic  40 Jack Reed Rhode Island November 12, 1949 January 3, 1997 47 years, 52 days 17 years, 72 days 64 years, 124 days Democratic  41 Roy Blunt Missouri January 10, 1950 January 3, 2011 60 years, 358 days 3 years, 72 days 64 years, 65 days Republican  42 Debbie Stabenow Michigan April 29, 1950 January 3, 2001 50 years, 249 days 13 years, 72 days 63 years, 321 days Democratic  43 Mike Johanns Nebraska June 18, 1950 January 3, 2009 58 years, 199 days 5 years, 72 days 63 years, 271 days Republican  44 Mark Udall Colorado July 18, 1950 January 3, 2009 58 years, 169 days 5 years, 72 days 63 years, 241 days Democratic  45 Patty Murray Washington October 11, 1950 January 3, 1993 42 years, 84 days 21 years, 72 days 63 years, 156 days Democratic  46 Chuck Schumer New York November 23, 1950 January 3, 1999 48 years, 41 days 15 years, 72 days 63 years, 113 days Democratic  47 John Boozman Arkansas December 10, 1950 January 3, 2011 60 years, 24 days 3 years, 72 days 63 years, 96 days Republican  48 Deb Fischer Nebraska March 1, 1951 January 3, 2013 61 years, 308 days 1 year, 72 days 63 years, 15 days Republican  49 Mike Crapo Idaho May 20, 1951 January 3, 1999 47 years, 228 days 15 years, 72 days 62 years, 300 days Republican  50 Al Franken Minnesota May 21, 1951 July 7, 2009 58 years, 47 days 4 years, 252 days 62 years, 299 days Democratic  51 Roger Wicker Mississippi July 5, 1951 December 31, 2007 56 years, 179 days 6 years, 75 days 62 years, 254 days Republican  52 John Cornyn Texas February 2, 1952 December 1, 2002 50 years, 302 days 11 years, 105 days 62 years, 42 days Republican  53 John Barrasso Wyoming July 21, 1952 June 25, 2007 54 years, 339 days 6 years, 264 days 61 years, 238 days Republican  54 Bob Corker Tennessee August 24, 1952 January 3, 2007 54 years, 132 days 7 years, 72 days 61 years, 204 days Republican  55 Sherrod Brown Ohio November 9, 1952 January 3, 2007 54 years, 55 days 7 years, 72 days 61 years, 127 days Democratic  56 Susan Collins Maine December 7, 1952 January 3, 1997 44 years, 27 days 17 years, 72 days 61 years, 99 days Republican  57 Kay Hagan North Carolina May 26, 1953 January 3, 2009 55 years, 222 days 5 years, 72 days 60 years, 294 days Democratic  58 Claire McCaskill Missouri July 24, 1953 January 3, 2007 53 years, 163 days 7 years, 72 days 60 years, 235 days Democratic  59 Bob Menendez New Jersey January 1, 1954 January 18, 2006 52 years, 17 days 8 years, 57 days 60 years, 74 days Democratic  60 Jerry Moran Kansas May 29, 1954 January 3, 2011 56 years, 219 days 3 years, 72 days 59 years, 291 days Republican  61 Mark Warner Virginia December 15, 1954 January 3, 2009 54 years, 19 days 5 years, 72 days 59 years, 91 days Democratic  62 Ron Johnson Wisconsin April 8, 1955 January 3, 2011 55 years, 270 days 3 years, 72 days 58 years, 342 days Republican  63 Lindsey Graham South Carolina July 9, 1955 January 3, 2003 47 years, 178 days 11 years, 72 days 58 years, 250 days Republican  64 Joe Donnelly Indiana September 29, 1955 January 3, 2013 57 years, 96 days 1 year, 72 days 58 years, 168 days Democratic  65 Sheldon Whitehouse Rhode Island October 20, 1955 January 3, 2007 51 years, 75 days 7 years, 72 days 58 years, 147 days Democratic  66 Heidi Heitkamp North Dakota October 30, 1955 January 3, 2013 57 years, 65 days 1 year, 72 days 58 years, 137 days Democratic  67 Mary Landrieu Louisiana November 23, 1955 January 3, 1997 41 years, 41 days 17 years, 72 days 58 years, 113 days Democratic  68 Richard Burr North Carolina November 30, 1955 January 3, 2005 49 years, 34 days 9 years, 72 days 58 years, 106 days Republican  69 Rob Portman Ohio December 19, 1955 January 3, 2011 55 years, 15 days 3 years, 72 days 58 years, 87 days Republican  70 Jon Tester Montana August 21, 1956 January 3, 2007 50 years, 135 days 7 years, 72 days 57 years, 207 days Democratic  71 Jeff Merkley Oregon October 24, 1956 January 3, 2009 52 years, 71 days 5 years, 72 days 57 years, 143 days Democratic  72 John Hoeven North Dakota March 13, 1957 January 3, 2011 53 years, 296 days 3 years, 72 days 57 years, 3 days Republican  73 Lisa Murkowski Alaska May 22, 1957 December 20, 2002 45 years, 212 days 11 years, 86 days 56 years, 298 days Republican  74 Tim Kaine Virginia February 26, 1958 January 3, 2013 54 years, 312 days 1 year, 72 days 56 years, 18 days Democratic  75 Maria Cantwell Washington October 13, 1958 January 3, 2001 42 years, 82 days 13 years, 72 days 55 years, 154 days Democratic  76 Mark Kirk Illinois September 15, 1959 November 29, 2010 51 years, 75 days 3 years, 107 days 54 years, 182 days Republican  77 Bob Casey, Jr. Pennsylvania April 13, 1960 January 3, 2007 46 years, 265 days 7 years, 72 days 53 years, 337 days Democratic  78 Dean Heller Nevada May 10, 1960 May 9, 2011 50 years, 364 days 2 years, 311 days 53 years, 310 days Republican  79 Amy Klobuchar Minnesota May 25, 1960 January 3, 2007 46 years, 223 days 7 years, 72 days 53 years, 295 days Democratic  80 John Walsh Montana November 3, 1960 February 9, 2014 53 years, 98 days 0 years, 35 days 53 years, 133 days Democratic  81 John Thune South Dakota January 7, 1961 January 3, 2005 43 years, 362 days 9 years, 72 days 53 years, 68 days Republican  82 David Vitter Louisiana May 3, 1961 January 3, 2005 43 years, 245 days 9 years, 72 days 52 years, 317 days Republican  83 Pat Toomey Pennsylvania November 17, 1961 January 3, 2011 49 years, 47 days 3 years, 72 days 52 years, 119 days Republican  84 Tammy Baldwin Wisconsin February 11, 1962 January 3, 2013 50 years, 327 days 1 year, 72 days 52 years, 33 days Democratic  85 Mark Begich Alaska March 30, 1962 January 3, 2009 46 years, 279 days 5 years, 72 days 51 years, 351 days Democratic  86 Jeff Flake Arizona December 31, 1962 January 3, 2013 50 years, 3 days 1 year, 72 days 51 years, 75 days Republican  87 Rand Paul Kentucky January 7, 1963 January 3, 2011 47 years, 361 days 3 years, 72 days 51 years, 68 days Republican  88 Mark Pryor Arkansas January 10, 1963 January 3, 2003 39 years, 358 days 11 years, 72 days 51 years, 65 days Democratic  89 Chris Coons Delaware September 9, 1963 November 15, 2010 47 years, 67 days 3 years, 121 days 50 years, 188 days Democratic  90 Michael Bennet Colorado November 28, 1964 January 21, 2009 44 years, 54 days 5 years, 54 days 49 years, 108 days Democratic  91 Tim Scott South Carolina September 19, 1965 January 2, 2013 47 years, 105 days 1 year, 73 days 48 years, 178 days Republican  92 Kirsten Gillibrand New York December 9, 1966 January 26, 2009 42 years, 48 days 5 years, 49 days 47 years, 97 days Democratic  93 Kelly Ayotte New Hampshire June 27, 1968 January 3, 2011 42 years, 190 days 3 years, 72 days 45 years, 262 days Republican  94 Cory Booker New Jersey April 27, 1969 October 31, 2013 44 years, 187 days 0 years, 136 days 44 years, 323 days Democratic  95 Ted Cruz Texas December 22, 1970 January 3, 2013 42 years, 12 days 1 year, 72 days 43 years, 84 days Republican  96 Marco Rubio Florida May 28, 1971 January 3, 2011 39 years, 220 days 3 years, 72 days 42 years, 292 days Republican  97 Mike Lee Utah June 4, 1971 January 3, 2011 39 years, 213 days 3 years, 72 days 42 years, 285 days Republican  98 Martin Heinrich New Mexico October 17, 1971 January 3, 2013 41 years, 78 days 1 year, 72 days 42 years, 150 days Democratic  99 Brian Schatz Hawaii October 20, 1972 December 26, 2012 40 years, 67 days 1 year, 80 days 41 years, 147 days Democratic  100 Chris Murphy Connecticut August 3, 1973 January 3, 2013 39 years, 153 days 1 year, 72 days 40 years, 225 days Democratic

It is called the Will to Power.  It is what drives many of these monsters.