Author Topic: Republicans Target Mary Landrieu Over Dems' Climate Talk-Fest  (Read 663 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

http://www.nationaljournal.com/energy/republicans-target-mary-landrieu-over-dems-climate-talk-fest-20140311

Louisiana Democrat Mary Landrieu didn't take part in Senate Democrats' all-night talkathon on global warming, but Republican political operatives are trying to tether her to the chamber's climate hawks anyway.

A new National Republican Senatorial Committee Web ad titled "Waiting for Mary Landrieu" accuses the three-term Democrat of "waiting" while regulations pile up and, in reference to the talkathon, "waiting while her leaders condemn American energy on the Senate floor."

Landrieu is among several vulnerable Senate Democrats facing reelection—including Mark Begich of Alaska and Mark Pryor of Arkansas—who didn't join 31 Democratic colleagues who held the Senate floor all night to call attention to climate change.

The NRSC also sent out press releases alleging several Democrats facing reelection who didn't join in (like Pryor) and some that did (like Colorado's Mark Udall) are part of the "radical Obama/Reid war on American energy."

But Sen. Tim Kaine, a Virginia Democrat who did speak on the floor, said talking about climate change is a political winner overall.

"Virginia might be the best bellwether state in America now in terms of the match between the electorate and the national electorate. I know what Virginians think about climate change because I ran for the Senate in 2012 and we asked them," he said on MSNBC this morning.

"And overwhelmingly what Virginians think is this: The science that demonstrates the connection between human activity and climate change is real, we believe it, and we need to do something about it," Kaine added.

Landrieu, however, sits to the right of her caucus on energy and climate and is running for reelection in a state where Mitt Romney solidly beat President Obama in 2012. She has criticized EPA climate-change regulations.

Landrieu is chairwoman of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee. According to Roll Call, Landrieu said that while she wasn't taking part in the climate talk-fest, "I think what they're doing is helpful."

-------------------------------------------------------------

I don't understand.  In WI all the liberals are earth firster tree huggin hippies.  The GOP should be talking about Obamacare and jobs. 
I guess there must be some energy/oil interests in LA that we don't have in WI.
Bye Bye Mary.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Republicans Target Mary Landrieu Over Dems' Climate Talk-Fest
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 08:14:14 am »
I don't understand.  In WI all the liberals are earth firster tree huggin hippies.  The GOP should be talking about Obamacare and jobs. 
I guess there must be some energy/oil interests in LA that we don't have in WI.
Bye Bye Mary.

She's trying to keep her nose clean and distract from her Oh-bummer-care cheer leading. I doubt the people in LA are stupid enough to fall for it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline MBB1984

Re: Republicans Target Mary Landrieu Over Dems' Climate Talk-Fest
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 12:20:35 pm »
Landrieu would have lost in the last election if not for the Obama wave and the Bush problems (economic crisis and everyone tired of the Middle East wars).  After Katrina, a large group of her voting block left the state.  I would be very surprised if she kept her seat.