Author Topic: President Obama Tapes Intro for 'Cosmos' Reboot  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Rapunzel

President Obama Tapes Intro for 'Cosmos' Reboot
« on: March 10, 2014, 03:22:01 am »
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2014/03/09/cosmos-obama

President Obama Tapes Intro for 'Cosmos' Reboot

by Christian Toto 9 Mar 2014, 4:08 PM PDT

President Barack Obama is inserting himself into yet another television program, this time the reboot of a classic science series.

Obama will introduce the first episode of Cosmos at 9 p.m. EST tonight on Fox as well as other Fox-owned channels--FX, FXX, National Geographic Channel, Fox Sports 1, FMX, Fox Sports 2, Nat Geo Wil, Nat Geo Mundo and Fox Life.

In the video message, Obama invites a new generation to embrace the spirit of discovery and inspires viewers to explore new frontiers and imagine limitless possibilities for the future.

The 13-episode Cosmos, produced by Cosmos Studios and Fuzzy Door Productions, tells the story of how we discovered the laws of nature and found our coordinates in space and time. Ann Druyan, Seth MacFarlane, Cosmos Studios president Mitchell Cannold and Brannon Braga are executive producers, with Jason Clark co-executive producing.

Obama, along with many in the Democratic party, maintain they embrace science unlike their GOP rivals. Yet Obama's position toward the country's space program has drawn some heavy criticism from space experts, and his most recent attempt to blame bad weather on global warming was contradicted by one of the administration's most vocal supporters. The president's penchant for using "climate change" arguments to support his policies often comes out as more pragmatic politics than actual science.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: President Obama Tapes Intro for 'Cosmos' Reboot
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 06:51:32 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80Lwj_ybVno

We had a TV in the barracks. That theme started playing and everyone shut up, sat down and paid attention.

I am looking forward to this new series.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

SPQR

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 07:48:25 am »
Carl Sagan is probably spinning in his grave.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 11:57:32 am »
Carl Sagan is probably spinning in his grave.
Indeed.

The moment I saw who they chose to host— Neil DeGrasse Tyson, the hipster-left's favorite "scientist" and an avowed atheist— I knew this show would be pushing an agenda.

Tyson represents the left's efforts to shut down opposition by redefining the facts.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 12:36:56 pm »
Into what won't these two whopping egos - Barry and Mooch - interject themselves?   :shrug: They are the supreme beings over all media.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 01:29:51 pm »
The original series (expanded) from 2000 is available on DVD. Worth getting.

SPQR

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 02:23:03 am »
Indeed.

The moment I saw who they chose to host— Neil DeGrasse Tyson, the hipster-left's favorite "scientist" and an avowed atheist— I knew this show would be pushing an agenda.

Tyson represents the left's efforts to shut down opposition by redefining the facts.
Neil DeGrasse Tyson or Dr. Ed Stone is much better than Obama to introduce the series. Sagan was a athist leftist himself. I met Sagan and Dr. Ed Stone in 1986 when the Voyager 2 probe entered the rings or Uranus. They were not sure how the outcome would be.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 02:39:30 am by SPQR »

SPQR

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 02:33:58 am »
Neil DeGrasse Tyson or Dr. Ed Stone is much better than Obama to introduce the series. Sagan was a athist leftist himself. I met him and Dr. Ed Stone in 1986 when the Voyager 2 probe entered the rings or Uranus. They were not sure how the outcome would be.

Ed Stone is much more qualified because he heads the JPL Voyager Interstellar Project. Bill Nye who is President of the Planetary Society would also be another good choice to being the reboot of the series.Its amazing that our smartphones are much more powerful than the entire computer system of Voyager and the Pioneer series.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 02:37:44 am by SPQR »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 12:00:58 pm »
Holy crap! Just found out someone I know (interviewed her and follow her web comic every week) worked on the animations for the new series!!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 12:18:23 pm »
More TV appearances, squeezed in between vacations and fundraisers:
President Obama on Zach Galifianakis' Funny or Die show 'Between Two Ferns'

Galifianakis veered into taboo topics like Obama’s lame duck presidency, the birther conspiracy, and his nerdlike demeanor on the actor's Funny or Die show “Between Two Ferns.”
By Leslie Larson  / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Tuesday, March 11, 2014, 7:51 AM

Comedian Zach Galifianakis welcomed President Obama for a roast on his irreverent Funny or Die show “Between Two Ferns,” as the President tries to reach a younger audience for Obamacare.

Galifianakis veered into taboo topics like Obama’s lame duck presidency, the birther conspiracy, and his nerdlike demeanor.

“Is it going to be hard in two years, when you’re no longer President and people will stop letting you win at basketball?” he asked, also wondering aloud if Obama would establish his presidential library in his home country of Kenya.

"So how does this work, do you send Ambassador Rodman to North Korea on your behalf? I read somewhere that you’d be sending Hulk Hogan to Syria or is that more of a job for Tanya Harding?"

But Obama took shots of his own at the actor, praising his “rival’ Bradley Cooper and saying a third term would “sort of be like doing a third ‘Hangover’ movie, it didn’t really work out very well did it?”

Three minutes into the awkward banter, the President turned the conversation to Obamacare.

“I wouldn’t be with you here today unless if I didn’t have something to plug, have you heard of the Affordable Care Act?” Obama asked.

“That’s the thing that doesn’t work?” the actor quipped.

Galifianakis interviewed Obama in front of a black screen, between the shrubbery, but at the end the curtain fell down to reveal that the pair were actually seated in the White House Diplomatic Room.
He certainly has brought a certain dignity to the White House, hasn't he?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 10:58:49 pm »
Another perspective, from Christian apologist Matt Rawlings:
What to Make of the Re-Launch of the TV Show “Cosmos”
Published 6 days ago by Matt   

When I was a kid, Carl Sagan’s Cosmos was the only program on PBS that seemed to draw much of an audience.  I didn’t it watch much during its initial run as I was occupied at the time with shows like “The Six-Million Dollar Man,” “Battlestar Gallactica,” “Buck Rogers,” “Space 1999″ and the blessed re-runs of “Star Trek” (Did I mention that I’m a geek?).

Sagan was famous for saying, ““The Cosmos is all that is or was or ever will be.” If Sagan was right, what does one make of the Big Bang? Sagan was a fan of “The Oscillating Model” which holds that there is no beginning to creation.  Proponents of “The Oscillating Model”  contend the universe expands, then collapses, then expands again, then collapses and so on for infinity like a cosmic accordion!  They maintain this explains the Big Bang singularity.

The only problem with this theory is that it lacks any real evidence to support it and, in fact, contradicts what we do know about the cosmos.  As I wrote in another post, “…Dr. William Lane Craig points out the universe is clearly expanding from a beginning point and lacks the density, and hence the gravitational pull, to contract and re-expand. In fact, it now appears as though it is destined to expand forever.  All this points to a beginning point of creation or what is known as the singularity.” For this reason, Sagan’s favorite theory has fallen out of favor with the overwhelming majority of physicists who still hold to the Big Bang singularity.

Recently, Seth Macfarlane, (creator of “Family Guy,” “American Dad” and “The Cleveland Show”), has re-launched “Cosmos” with a new host, Neil deGrasse Tyson, a respected astrophysicist.  Tyson is probably best known for drawing a lot of ire on social media for criticizing the flawed physics of the hit film “Gravity,” dismissing intelligent design out of hand and for hosting podcasts with sympathetic guests like Bill Maher.

Tyson is a brilliant and charismatic man who will no doubt make a fine host (although can anyone hold a candle to what Morgan Freeman did in hosting “Through the Wormhole”? I mean, God bless Mike Rowe but he ain’t no Morgan Freeman!).  But will Tyson (and outspoken atheist Macfarlane) be fair in their presentation of scientific evidence? Unfortunately, I doubt it.

I watched with horror when longtime PBS host Bill Moyers asked Tyson several questions about faith and science to which the new Cosmos host evaded and turned to lobbing ad hominems at fundamentalists who he accused of attempting to hijack science education (simply not true).  When Moyers asked Tyson about the Big Bang, the astrophysicist all but ignored the question–that is very troubling (for more listen to the recent podcast on all of this at Reasonable Faith where William Lane Craig tackles the issue).

The Big Bang troubles Tyson for the same reason it troubled Sagan (and Einstein) because it points to (1) a beginning, which opens the door to theological discussions and (2) the singularity is an even when the laws of physics fall apart and that is beyond the comprehension of many committed naturalists.

The failure to address it fairly is not only biased but poor science.  It betrays a blind faith in naturalism that the evidence at hand simply does not justify.  To be fair, Through the Wormhole and How the Universe Works are also programs that present semi-science for they do not give the whole picture (i.e., the problems with Neo-Darwinianism such as the lack of a supporting fossil record or naturalism’s failure to explain the origin of the universe or life itself).

The producers of these shows would be wise to truly consider the words of David Berlinski, an agnostic philosopher with postgraduate work in advanced mathematics and microbiology, who wrote in The Devil’s Delusion: Atheism and its Scientific Pretensions (Basic Books 2009):

“Has anyone provided a proof of God’s  inexistence? Not even close.

Has quantum cosmology explained the emergence of  the universe or why it is here? Not even close.

Have the sciences explained why our universe  seems to be fine-tuned to allow for the existence of life? Not even close.

Are physicists and biologists willing to believe  in anything so long as it is not religious thought? Close enough.

Has rationalism in moral thought provided us  with an understanding of what is good, what is right, and what is moral? Not  close enough.

Has secularism in the terrible twentieth century  been a force for good? Not even close to being close.

Is there a narrow and oppressive orthodoxy of  thought and opinion within the sciences? Close enough.

Does anything in the sciences or in their  philosophy justify the claim that religious belief is irrational? Not even ballpark.

Is scientific atheism a frivolous exercise in  intellectual contempt? Dead on.”

Amen.

I will watch the relaunch of Cosmos this weekend but I will be pleasantly surprised if it is any more fair than the original show was. I would love for someone like Dr. Tyson to host Cosmos and actually tell the whole story.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 11:10:57 pm »
This from the man who ended our space program.   :#@$%:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 11:17:36 pm »
This from the man who ended our space program.   :#@$%:
Yeah, his devotion to the "spirit of discovery" - especially in the context of scientific inquiry - is just a smidge suspect.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 11:20:26 pm »
I watched it last night and completely missed the O intro (unless it is a future episode). Cosmos itself was very good.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 11:41:00 pm »
Netflix recently removed cosmos the original series from it's lineup available for streaming. Luckily, I watched each episode before they made that change. The series has always been a joy to watch.