Author Topic: Ted Cruz: We’ll ‘turn this country around’  (Read 1028 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Ted Cruz: We’ll ‘turn this country around’
« on: February 28, 2014, 02:03:53 pm »
http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=AA50A6BC-DA7F-4DD2-9F06-706A5900AF48

Ted Cruz: We’ll ‘turn this country around’
By: Elizabeth Titus
February 27, 2014 05:52 PM EST

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz told tea party activists on Thursday that he is “filled with the promise that we’re going to turn this country around” after legislative fights over drones, guns and Obamacare last year.

The freshman Republican received a hero’s welcome at a Tea Party Patriots-hosted fifth anniversary event for the movement in Washington, where he discussed the three issues.

“If you listen to the media, if you listen to Democrats — although I repeat myself — they will say the fight to stop Obamacare did not succeed,” said Cruz, who pushed to defund the president’s signature health care law in a fight that led to a government shutdown last fall.

“Really?” Cruz said. “Well, I’m a big believer the proof is in the pudding. Last fall, millions of Americans rose up and said, ‘Stop the disaster that is Obamacare.’ … We elevated the national debate of the incredible harms Obamacare is visiting on millions of Americans.”

Republicans’ poll numbers suffered after the shutdown, but the health care law is still poised to be one of the central issues in this year’s midterm elections. Republicans must net six seats to take back control of the Senate.

Cruz joked about senators who underestimated the popularity of colleague Rand Paul’s filibuster on President Barack Obama’s policy on the use of armed drones last year.

“When Rand started that filibuster, a host of our colleagues had no idea what he was talking about,” Cruz said about the Kentucky Republican. But news of the filibuster caught fire on Twitter and lawmakers started returning to the chamber that night, Cruz said. “You’d see somewhat rumpled senators walking on the Senate floor going, ‘The tweetie thing is happening!’”

He lambasted Obama’s response to the Newtown, Conn., school shooting in December 2012. The shooting prompted Senate Democrats to try advancing new legislation expanding background checks for guns, but the effort fell short.

“He could have come out and said, ‘Let’s go after violent criminals,’” Cruz said. “ … Instead he used it as an excuse to try to go after the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens.”

Speaking to reporters after his speech at a Hyatt Regency hotel near the Capitol, Cruz declined to get into specifics about a recent flap in the Kansas Senate Republican primary, in which Sen. Pat Roberts’ challenger, a doctor named Milton Wolf, came under scrutiny for posting and joking about X-rays on Facebook.

Cruz, who upset an establishment candidate in his own primary two years ago, said earlier Thursday at a POLITICO Playbook Breakfast that he is “likely going to stay out of incumbent Republican primaries” but that “things can change in politics.”

“I will confess I am not involved in that race,” Cruz told reporters about the Kansas primary after the tea party event. “… I trust the grass roots in each state to make the decision. Incumbent politicians have enormous advantages anywhere they’re running, and I think every elected official, me included, owes it to the grass roots to make the case on the ground why he or she is standing up for the principles you said you would and fighting for the values of the people who elected you.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Ted Cruz: We’ll ‘turn this country around’
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 02:09:33 pm »
IMHO this is the kind of attitude we need a lot more of in Washington!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 09:19:19 pm »
Saw a report on the Tea Party last night - reports of their demise are over-stated.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 11:22:37 pm »
IMHO this is the kind of attitude we need a lot more of in Washington!

:thumbsup:

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 11:42:36 am »
Cruz, who upset an establishment candidate in his own primary two years ago, said earlier Thursday at a POLITICO Playbook Breakfast that he is “likely going to stay out of incumbent Republican primaries” but that “things can change in politics.”

How in the world does Cruz get away with not endorsing his fellow Tea Party soldiers?  Isn't he down with the struggle to cut off the head of the GOPe?  He has been thwarted by GOP leadership in his effort to save America, and therefore the world, from Obamacare.  They brushed him aside when he wanted to see just a smidgeon of fiscal sanity tied to the budgets and debt ceilings.  And when he asked the Senate to admit their votes the GOPe became vengeful.  He has spoken loudly and proudly for Freedom, Liberty, and the Constitution! :patriot:   

Senators Paul DeMint and Toomey endorsed Cruz in 2012 over the GOPe Dehurst.  Sen Paul is currently endorsing Sen McConnell.  Sen McCain endorsed Sen Enzi against Cheney.  For over a year Sen Cruz has been complaining about the leadership and now, when he is the brightest star of our hopes and future, he does nothing to advance the cause.  He has been threatening the GOPe with death at the primaries for a year.  Today when his endorsement counts for so much he wont write a simple sentence or two.

It's time for change in Washington!
Vote for (insert unelectable Tea Party candidate)

There.  I did it for him.  All he needs to do now is sign it.
Think how much money and prestige comes with those two sentences on a fundraising letter?

Perhaps Sen Cruz doesn't think any of the tea party candidates are acceptable, in which case I agree. 
He should say so.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 11:45:09 am by Once-Ler »

Offline WAYNE

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 11:50:12 am »
   Draft Cruz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 01:35:55 pm »
Some people simply ooze hatred for the tea party. In my view the tea party is the embodiment of

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 02:01:43 pm »
Some people simply ooze hatred for the tea party. In my view the tea party is the embodiment of

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 08:48:10 pm »

Amendment I

:amen:
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776