Author Topic: 8 cities make cut for GOP convention  (Read 799 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
8 cities make cut for GOP convention
« on: February 27, 2014, 03:29:19 pm »
http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=63F202ED-1447-40B7-BE72-226190A898E5

8 cities make cut for GOP convention
By: Emily Schultheis
February 27, 2014 10:15 AM EST

Eight cities have made the cut in the ongoing contest to hold the GOP’s 2016 nominating convention, the Republican National Committee announced Thursday.

“Congratulations to Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, Denver, Dallas, Kansas City, Las Vegas and Phoenix for moving on to the next phase,” RNC Chairman Reince Priebus tweeted.

The cities will present their case to the RNC’s site selection committee in Washington on Monday. The committee will then narrow the list down to three or four finalists to visit.

The winner will likely be announced later this spring or in the summer.

For the 2012 election cycle, the RNC announced its pick of Tampa in May 2010.

Las Vegas, Kansas City, Denver, Phoenix and Columbus hosted receptions and set up tables at the RNC’s Winter Meeting in D.C. earlier this year in an effort to woo members.

Many believe Las Vegas, which is backed by GOP megadonor Sheldon Adelson, is the nominal frontrunner to win the convention; that said, there’s still a long way to go before the final decision.

Democrats, too, are beginning their convention selection process: cities interested in submitting a proposal for the 2016 DNC must notify the committee by Saturday.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

Re: 8 cities make cut for GOP convention
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 05:07:50 pm »
without knowing the positives and negatives of the candidate cities, I would suggest that they choose a city whose economy has been stabbed in the back by the democrats' idiotic economic policies.

Offline raml

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 09:12:24 pm »
Ohio being a swing state should top the list. I really think Las Vegas is a bad idea and will make republicans look like they are only out for a good time not the business of winning an election.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 09:20:13 pm »
without knowing the positives and negatives of the candidate cities, I would suggest that they choose a city whose economy has been stabbed in the back by the democrats' idiotic economic policies.
Las Vegas would be a perfect candidate... and right in Harry Reid's backyard. Come to think of it, he's up for re-election in '16. ('Course, if things go well enough he'll be minority leader by then anyway.)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 09:20:50 pm »
Ohio being a swing state should top the list. I really think Las Vegas is a bad idea and will make republicans look like they are only out for a good time not the business of winning an election.
They expected that with Tampa in '12 and were sorely disappointed. All the strip clubs and such were gearing up for big business and got almost nothing.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 10:43:55 pm »
Bring 'em here!

And hopefully they won't give new meaning to the term "crap out"
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 11:59:53 pm »

Detroit came to mind for me. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 01:37:39 am »
Las Vegas would be a perfect candidate... and right in Harry Reid's backyard. Come to think of it, he's up for re-election in '16. ('Course, if things go well enough he'll be minority leader by then anyway.)

I'm thinking more of a city they can use as a foil and backdrop to illustrate in stark, concrete terms, what happens when democrats are allowed to govern and allowed to implement liberal policies.

Then again, that's probably too sophisticated for today's GOP to pull off.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 01:37:59 am by Oceander »