Author Topic: The Lesson of Dunkirk It’s one Ted Cruz Republicans must learn. Thomas Sowell  (Read 7264 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Sorry you feel that way ts...I try to be fair to everyone here.
I'll grant you tried. But the result nevertheless is to throttle dissent, to silence other valid viewpoints.

One has to ask himself: "...if what he/she says rubs the popular 'me too' clique the wrong way, will they be suspended too, like Sinkspur?"

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Dissent at this point is not only futile, but risks suspension as well. The party line has been decided.

I think Sink got a bum deal.

"Yes he did......a little bit.   .......a little bit!"  (said in my best De Niro impression)
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Lando Lincoln

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online DCPatriot

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline happyg

I'll grant you tried. But the result nevertheless is to throttle dissent, to silence other valid viewpoints.

One has to ask himself: "...if what he/she says rubs the popular 'me too' clique the wrong way, will they be suspended too, like Sinkspur?"

I disagree with your "me too" clique. I have never met anyone on this site, and the only people I have had online conversations with in the past are Rustynail and Gazoo. I knew no one here when I came. I suppose there are others like me. You are confusing agreements with cliques, and are way off. I could say the same about you and sink, but won't because I don't know.

When I was approached to be a mod, I was surprised because I didn't know Myst or Rep4. I was at first ambivalent because I'm not an aggressive person. However, the job doesn't entail being aggressive. The point I'm making is, I wasn't judged because of who I am, but was invited to mod because of my posts, which gave an inkling to my personality. I believe most us of learn as much about each other by how, we post, not necessarily by what we post.

Online DCPatriot

I disagree with your "me too" clique. I have never met anyone on this site, and the only people I have had online conversations with in the past are Rustynail and Gazoo. I knew no one here when I came. I suppose there are others like me. You are confusing agreements with cliques, and are way off. I could say the same about you and sink, but won't because I don't know.

When I was approached to be a mod, I was surprised because I didn't know Myst or Rep4. I was at first ambivalent because I'm not an aggressive person. However, the job doesn't entail being aggressive. The point I'm making is, I wasn't judged because of who I am, but was invited to mod because of my posts, which gave an inkling to my personality. I believe most us of learn as much about each other by how, we post, not necessarily by what we post.

What TS means is that when there is ever a problem with Sinkspur, it's always the same .....no more than a half-dozen...regular posters who ultimately 'dog-pack' him.

The word "clique" is apropos.

And IMO a lot of the anger and general feeling toward Sink from some of our well respected males is because of the way that Sink debates. 

It's a Sir Lancelot thingy......make a girl blush/cry/embarrassed.....well, you know.   :laugh:

We'll get through this.   And I still say that someday you're all going to look back at the way you feel right now and think....WTF was I thinking!!    :patriot:

Offline happyg

What TS means is that when there is ever a problem with Sinkspur, it's always the same .....no more than a half-dozen...regular posters who ultimately 'dog-pack' him.

The word "clique" is apropos.

And IMO a lot of the anger and general feeling toward Sink from some of our well respected males is because of the way that Sink debates. 

It's a Sir Lancelot thingy......make a girl blush/cry/embarrassed.....well, you know.   :laugh:

We'll get through this.   And I still say that someday you're all going to look back at the way you feel right now and think....WTF was I thinking!!    :patriot:

I respectfully disagree. I could say the same thing about you, TS and Sink in the way you come to each other's defense. Are you a clique? I don't think so, and don't know, so won't accuse. Sometimes, I think the pro Cruz people are being deliberately provoked into giving unnecessary responses. I think we should do better with making are posts the least insulting as we can, to prevent retaliation, and also do the same with replies. It seems so simple, but apparently, it isn't.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I disagree with your "me too" clique.

Right now "me too" means Cruz groupie; he can do no wrong for he is the chosen one of the day.

Sinkspur and I questioned the wisdom of trying to replace Senators and Representatives who have ACU ratings above 90.

We questioned putting Cruz on a pedestal if he harms the GOP's election prospects; positions written about by very prominent, conservative commentators.

This forum started as a place for rational Republicans and conservatives, spanning the center-right. It is now far right only.

The problem is there are not enough far right voters to win elections, so the site is taking up a losing position, and suspending dissenters who wish to discuss rational politics, not radical politics.

I come down on the pragmatic path; to hold power, you have to first get it, and that means winning elections.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online DCPatriot

I respectfully disagree. I could say the same thing about you, TS and Sink in the way you come to each other's defense. Are you a clique? I don't think so, and don't know, so won't accuse. Sometimes, I think the pro Cruz people are being deliberately provoked into giving unnecessary responses. I think we should do better with making are posts the least insulting as we can, to prevent retaliation, and also do the same with replies. It seems so simple, but apparently, it isn't.

If I kept reading opinions here in multiple threads...regarding something to do with Maryland politics...and I "knew" in my heart and experience that they were wrong, why wouldn't I go to multiple threads to correct their thinking?

Suddenly somebody shows up and gives them an alternate reality, and all hell breaks loose.  It should NOT be that way.

How hard is it to type, "I guess we just have to agree to disagree!"

« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 09:15:46 pm by DCPatriot »

Online mountaineer

How hard is it to type, "I guess we just have to agree to disagree!"
Yeah. It would be nice if everyone could say that.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Bigun....Bigun....Bigun......

The other day, I happened to post on a thread in which everybody was fully engaged in debating Cruz (what else is new?)

I quoted Sinkspur in my rant...but my reply was not directed at him personally.

Evidently not everybody caught that, because I was immediately quoted and cheered....in fact you called it a HOME RUN shot.

Coincidentally, all the kudos was from posters/mods that have a visceral dislike of Sinkspur.

Anyway, my point is that I disagree with Sinkspur regarding Ted Cruz...and IIRC, illegal immigration back during the Bush years.

We're still "friends" and fellow Republicans trying to beat back the Left.

All I can do is ask you to reevaluate or take the time to see it from a different perspective.

Thanks.   :beer:

I'm going to reconsider my previous response on this and empty my ignore list. Not going to make any guarantees as to how long it will stay empty but, for now, it is.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

I'm going to reconsider my previous response on this and empty my ignore list. Not going to make any guarantees as to how long it will stay empty but, for now, it is.

Sir...you won't regret it!   :beer:

Offline Lando Lincoln

John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

Yep. Despite any disagreements I might have with sinky, I like his hard-edged, concise responses. A definite value added poster.

Hey... in the blur I missed this.  Yes... exactly what you said ac.
John Steinbeck

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Sir...you won't regret it!   :beer:

I honestly hope you're right.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien